• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Jzero

Finally watched Blade Runner lol
i48d9HDEQ3dlT.jpg

RedFyn

^Nice pic on your Nexus. Where is a good place to find wallpapers for the 6?
I don't have any however if you find a picture you like but need a better quality just do an image search

Edit: I lied. I totally forgot about Deviant art. Its been a great resource for me.

NotBacon

Is there a way to remove this animation? Other than with a launcher.

Edit: The animation when swiping left or right

No, that's baked into that launcher.

^Nice pic on your Nexus. Where is a good place to find wallpapers for the 6?

I just search for wallpapers on google images, restricting it to 1440x2560 in "search tools". Also some 2560x1440 images just rotated look great. Zedge and Wally are good apps for landscape ones you can rotate.

clav

Really tempted to just buy the phone, but I'm still pissed about missing the $50 credit.

All the hate, negativity, and non-announcements made me miss the opportunity.

rtcn63

Is the Nexus 5 expected to be back in stock on Google Play at some point, or is this one of those "you're just shit out of luck" situations?

EDIT: My bad, thought this was general Nexus chat.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Really tempted to just buy the phone, but I'm still pissed about missing the $50 credit.

All the hate, negativity, and non-announcements made me miss the opportunity.
What opportunity? I was watching closely but couldn't nab one.

NotBacon

Welp,

- Spigen Thin Fit White was very shimmery and slippery.
- Ringke Slim Clear is nice looking, but creaks and is slimy.

Bear Motion is on the way and looks awesome. Looks and apparently feels like OPO sandstone texture.
Also have a Ringke Slim SF Black on the way because apparently it's soft touch like a Nexus 5.

Will update when they arrive.

My Urban Armor Gear Maverick case arrives today, I believe its transparent which I'm not a fan of but will let you know what I think when I get it.

NotBacon

Oblivious here, since I got mine through the GPS, but how is the availability through AT&T? My friend wants to pick one up.

XBP

Makes sense, the Droid Turbo is like that for the Moto X. Much like that handset though, I'd imagine it will be exclusive to Verizon and ugly as sin.

Verizon only gets exclusive 'Droid' phones, not anything else. If that rumor is true, expect the device to be available on major carriers.

How was the case?

Sorry about the wait, been away from GAF this weekend. I'm not much of a reviewer so I'll give my thoughts on Urban Armor Gear's Maverick for Nexus 6. The case itself feels good, I'm confident that if my phone were to fall that it would be protected. The buttons for power, volume up/down and a little smaller than I thought they'd be. It's something I have to get used to coming from the UAG case on my Note II. There is plenty of space for the USB port (felt my last case did not give much room) and same for the headphone jack on the top.

The case is clear in color and not as ugly as I thought it would be. I'm actually quite fond of it but I'm also just in love with the phone itself. It's an easy to slip on case, the Spigen case I was using was not hard to put on but sometimes the buttons would not align properly and I'd have to take the phone out of the case just to put it back in to fix the issue.

All in all, happy with the case. It's pricey for now but I'm sure as time goes by they'll go down in price. It's $39.95 at the moment.

npa189

I really need a case, has anyone come across anything that isn't terrible? The choices on the GPS store are just trash.

I really like my Neo Hybrid, but it's not the most... Grippiest case. It's pretty thin though, matches the look of the phone, and the actual buttons are great if not maybe a little TOO easily pressed. I see a review mentioning a cracking problem, but I've had mine for a couple weeks now and I've not had any issues. My biggest concern is that already the back of the case is heavily marked up, but I suppose that's the point of a case, so that the phone itself doesn't get all those marks and scratches.

Majine

Banned
Is the screen actually better than the Nexus 5? Even tho the PPI on N5 is pretty high, I find it kind of underwhelming. The colors and such.

Ty4on

Is the screen actually better than the Nexus 5? Even tho the PPI on N5 is pretty high, I find it kind of underwhelming. The colors and such.

Subpixel density is lower and color accuracy is according to most measurements worse. The N5 was much better calibrated than the LG G2 and N4.

Also preference. I don't like the 'dotty' look of most AMOLEDs thanks to smaller sub pixels (more black between them) and can trade the contrast for that flat, uniform appearance.

NotBacon

Whites aren't as white, but blacks are much more black. PPI is insane. Looks great. Don't think too much about it.

Running into issues with the spigen case. When I slip it into my pocket,the case slides off and hits the power and volume, somehow causing the phone to either reset or go into recovery mode.

Nitsuj23

Welp,

- Spigen Thin Fit White was very shimmery and slippery.
- Ringke Slim Clear is nice looking, but creaks and is slimy.

Bear Motion is on the way and looks awesome. Looks and apparently feels like OPO sandstone texture.
Also have a Ringke Slim SF Black on the way because apparently it's soft touch like a Nexus 5.

Will update when they arrive.

I bought the Ringke Slim Clear too after liking my Ringke Slim Black on my Nexus 5. I too experienced the creakiness and sliminess. I didn't think it looked that great either. I mean not bad, but something about clear cases looks kind of tacky to me.

I purchased the Ringke Slim Black for my white N6 and am much happier now than I was with the clear. It doesn't feel slimy, doesn't creak, and the thin parts around the buttons feel sturdier than the clear version. It seems like less of a finger print magnet than my N5 version, but I could be wrong about that.

I would recommend the black (or possibly white) if you don't like the clear.

Edit: I'm curious to hear what you think about the Bear Motion case!

LogicStep

Searching around, I'm still not sure. I would have to look at the quick charge spec. I think maybe as long as you get a higher awg USB cable it may be fine... But i don't know...

Edit...
Still looks like you only need a good quality cable (24awg instead of 28).

Searching around, people don't know shit about batteries

About this topic, what about a car charger? I want to get this phone but I better be able to charge it in my car without it breaking. I hope that stock charger and cable aren't the only way to go.

NotBacon

I bought the Ringke Slim Clear too after liking my Ringke Slim Black on my Nexus 5. I too experienced the creakiness and sliminess. I didn't think it looked that great either. I mean not bad, but something about clear cases looks kind of tacky to me.

I purchased the Ringke Slim Black for my white N6 and am much happier now than I was with the clear. It doesn't feel slimy, doesn't creak, and the thin parts around the buttons feel sturdier than the clear version. It seems like less of a finger print magnet than my N5 version, but I could be wrong about that.

I would recommend the black (or possibly white) if you don't like the clear.

Edit: I'm curious to hear what you think about the Bear Motion case!

SF Black right? The Gunmetal black is also slippery. SF Black has that nice matte grip.

Oh boy the Bear Motion case.
It's god-tier. My one complaint is it doesn't cover the top and bottom very well, but it's the nicest feeling/looking case I've ever used. Sleek, and it very much reminds me of the sandstone texture on the OPO.

RedFyn

About this topic, what about a car charger? I want to get this phone but I better be able to charge it in my car without it breaking. I hope that stock charger and cable aren't the only way to go.
Why would it break charging in your car?

Nitsuj23

SF Black right? The Gunmetal black is also slippery. SF Black has that nice matte grip.

Oh boy the Bear Motion case.
It's god-tier. My one complaint is it doesn't cover the top and bottom very well, but it's the nicest feeling/looking case I've ever used. Sleek, and it very much reminds me of the sandstone texture on the OPO.
Yup, the SF Black. Damn I'm so tempted to buy the Bear Motion. I had a OPO for a few months and did like the sandstone. I just hate swapping cases because I feel like I stretch them out or break them every time, and I'm already satisfied with the Ringke. If the Bear had top and bottom coverage I think I'd splurge.

gcubed

You can still charge it with any kind of charger.

You can also buy a quick charge car charger if you want something faster. I got one from amazon and it works great.

kinggroin

Banned
The whole point of a Nexus is software, period. If you want a "better" version of the Nexus 6,the Note 4 is available right now with a better screen, camera and battery. Hell, Samsung and HTC and Sony are also building "better" handsets to be released early mid 2015 as well.

Highly debatable

Top Bottom