• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

Wes

venison crêpe
Poor Brown fans

If they had a good QB they might be ok

Our defence played great I thought yesterday. Just out inept offensive playcalling and Weeden having a horrific day which held us back.

You have to think with Haslam coming in he wont care about Weeden and he'll take a new QB next year. Which means the extra pick we got in the Julio Jones trade would've been a waste.

gutshot

The biggest worry was the defense coming into the season, especially the run D. The Browns tried to pound it on the ground with a big physical back, the kind of thing that killed the Eagles last year. They totally stuffed it, the run D looked fantastic. Juan/whoever also called a really good game. The Browns OL totally shutdown the Eagles DL in the first half and the Eagles made adjustments, unlike last year. The Browns wouldnt throw at Nnamdi an went at DRC all game, and he made them pay, unlike Assante last year. I think the D is going to be relly good this year. Vick looked terrible, but the running game looked totally unstoppable, Shady would have had over 100 yards in the 1st half if not for the scabs. Hopefully Vick will play better, but if not running and D should at least keep them in games this year.

Ok. The run D looked good, I'll give you that. But I can't really judge the secondary on this game. Look at who they were playing. Weeden missed a few wide open receivers, including one in the end zone. Against a competent QB, those passes are completed and the Eagles lose going away.

My biggest worry has been, and continues to be, Vick's tendency to turn the ball over. It would have cost us the game yesterday, if it weren't for Weeden's historically bad performance. Lots of people are pointing to the final drive as some sort of testament to Vick's ability to "pull out the W", but he got lucky twice on that drive: he almost coughed it up on the 3rd down scramble and he had a sure INT in the end zone dropped by LJ Fort.

Last season's -14 in turnovers was one of the biggest reasons we went 8-8, IMO. If Vick continues to be careless with the football, it won't matter how good our defense or Shady are. We will still miss the playoffs.

1. Browns are absolutely terrible against the run. Not to say McCoy won't put up big numbers week after week but take that with a grain of salt. Really I think if Andy Reid came into the game focused on the run (lol)

2. Trent Richardson was playing his first game after coming off his surgery. He definitely was rusty and needs another few weeks before he will be up to snuff. But definitely on the point from what I saw your D line absolutely destroyed our O line when it came to the rush which added much more to Trent's struggles.

I agree with both points but they are still positive things for the Eagle to take from that game. Last year they would have lost that game for sure. Hopefully surviving like that will gt them to focus more and play better going forward. Brown could be an 8-8 or 7-9 team with McCoy. They will be lucky to win 3 with Weedon. He looked worse then any rookie I can remember seeing.

Wes

venison crêpe
Who was that dude on the Eagles that got trucked by Trent Richardson? There has to be a .gif floating about.

The safety Coleman.

iknmtZLgEAK3y.gif

yankeehater said:
The Browns tried to pound it on the ground with a big physical back, the kind of thing that killed the Eagles last year. They totally stuffed it, the run D looked fantastic.
Of course they did. They were playing an absolutely anemic offense with no vertical threat or well any passing game to speak of /at all/. Stack the box all you want all day long. There's no threat of anyone completing a pass. They fielded a rookie QB who at times looked utterly lost and even then I counted at least 4 times that Weeden overthrew wide open receivers running roughshod in your secondary.

I'll say again - had the Browns put someone under center that could actually complete a pass, the Eagles would have lost that game in very bad fashion.

Let me be clear, too - I think the Eagles defense will be improved this season and there were some good things to take from that game but you'd have to be delusional to walk away from a game where you squeaked by one of the worst offenses in the NFL and state "the D looked fantastic!".

yankeehater said:
but the running game looked totally unstoppable, Shady would have had over 100 yards in the 1st half if not for Andy Reid.
Fixed. Lulz if you think the refs had anything to do with stopping your running game. 56 fucking pass attempts. :jnc

eznark

Banned
I meant the players not the fans. I understand you have to be confident after a loss but some of the things that they were saying in interviews yesterday were so strange.

Woodson was clearly just trying to get the young defense to keep its head up.

Jarrett Bush was just being a fucking douche bag.

Brinbe

Poor Kurt... Got fucking trucked. Ah well, those two picks are sweet consolation.

And Gunshot's right on with Vick and his turnovers. We're going only as far as he'll take us. If he's the same mistake-prone QB he was at the start of last season and yesterday, then even an improved D won't help much.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I still think our defense is better, we actually got pressure on the QB. At some point, the pass rush can compensate for a bad secondary. Busted coverages though? I have no clue how to compensate for stupid.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually wondering how we're going to deal with Brandon Marshall. It's weird because I don't remember the last time I was concerned about a Bears WR. This next game is going to really tell us what kind of team we have this year. Is it a 2009/2010 team? Or are we going to do impressions of 2008 again?

Greg

I still think our defense is better, we actually got pressure on the QB. At some point, the pass rush can compensate for a bad secondary. Busted coverages though? I have no clue how to compensate for stupid.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually wondering how we're going to deal with Brandon Marshall. It's weird because I don't remember the last time I was concerned about a Bears WR. This next game is going to really tell us what kind of team we have this year. Is it a 2009/2010 team? Or are we going to do impressions of 2008 again?
They'll let Cutler throw to him.

eznark

Banned

Marshall is almost purely a deep threat. Williams the gimp is still fine in mid to deep coverage.

Nick Perry on Alshon Jeffrey should be giving you nightmares.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Marshall is almost purely a deep threat. Williams the gimp is still fine in mid to deep coverage.

Nick Perry on Alshon Jeffrey should be giving you nightmares.

I really hope we don't do this. Jeffrey is a bit of a hothead so hopefully that helps us out at some point.

squicken

I've got other GIFs but this pretty much sums it up. Rams ball just before 2 minute warning. 3rd and 9. Get the first down and they can run down the clock and kick a FG to win the game. So of course Bradford overthrows his WR by 10 yards on a 3 yard route. Doesn't even look for anyone else

ijoiL4B6PIXQ8.gif

Got home from the Browns game pretty late last night.

Even though we lost it was probably the best time at s Browns home opener I've had. Great tailgate, and sat in the upper Dawg Pound. The Crowd went crazy on plenty of plays, especially when Trich knocked Coles Helmet off. Jimmy Clausen and Blaine Gabbert laughed at Weedens first start. This year is pretty much his audition tape for Haslam. If we would of won this game it would of been like we won the Super Bowl in stadium/Cleveland.

Eagles fan i wouldn't be proud of this game if i was you guys haha, told a bunch of fans on my way out your Qb sucks! They just looked back at me and said we know. Eagles fans reactions through must the game was pretty hilarious though.

Barking for Barkly etc signs incoming

eznark

Banned
nope

I've got other GIFs but this pretty much sums it up. Rams ball just before 2 minute warning. 3rd and 9. Get the first down and they can run down the clock and kick a FG to win the game. So of course Bradford overthrows his WR by 10 yards on a 3 yard route. Doesn't even look for anyone else

ijoiL4B6PIXQ8.gif

Forget the throw, I fucking love that clearly his first read on 3rd and 9 is a 4 yard out!

What the hell?!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow: Is there really much of a difference? [LA Times]

Peyton Manning came back after a year off Sunday night and put up some big numbers to lead the Denver Broncos past the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night at Mile High Stadium.

Big deal. This is what the Broncos gave up the great Tim Tebow for, just another home win over the Steelers?

Bor-ing.

Tebow did the same thing last season -- and in the playoffs, no less, when no one was expecting it.

Everybody knew Manning would come right out after rehabbing from four neck surgeries and pick up right where he left off (except maybe the Indianapolis Colts, who dropped him in favor of the so-called next Peyton, a.k.a. Andrew Luck. How did that work out for them in Week 1?).

Both Tebow and Manning hooked up with receiver Demaryius Thomas for a big catch-and-run that resulted in a touchdown against the Steelers, Tebow's for 80 yards, Manning's a mere 71 yards.

So Manning's was his first-ever for the Broncos and the 400th of his career -- does any of that really match the drama of Tebow's toss on the first play of overtime to seal an unlikely playoff victory?

Let's look at the Broncos quarterbacks' stats in those two games against the Steelers. Tebow completed 10 out of 21 passes for 316 yards, two touchdown passes (and another one on the ground) and a 125.6 quarterback rating; Manning was 19 for 26 with 253 yards, two touchdowns (none on the ground) and a 129.2 rating.

So basically Denver gave up a net total of 63 passing yards and a rushing touchdown for a mere 3.6 increase in passer rating and yet another home victory over the Steelers? That's what all the hype we football fans had to endure throughout the off-season was all about?

Let's see Manning do something really impressive, like play poorly most of the game and then rally the Broncos to a seemingly miraculous victory, as Tebow did week after week last season.

Or maybe recover an onside kick attempt, like Tebow did in his New York debut on Sunday (pretty much his only highlight but only because starting quarterback Mark Sanchez hogged the spotlight in the Jets' 48-28 victory over the Buffalo Bills).

I bet executive vice president John Elway, Coach John Fox and the rest of the Broncos organization are feeling pretty silly right about now.

troll?

Top Bottom