• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

MechDX

Romeo is a good DC, just not a very good HC. I think Houston would do well by signing him.

So the circle gets more complete. McNair just needs a younger girlfriend, start writing more checks and we need to trade for Mallet.

I for one welcome our new Ex-Patriot overlords.

Nameless

Mike McCoy was clearly a good pickup for the Chargers. One thing that I have not seen remarked about the Chargers is in how they made the playoffs. They made it by luck after other teams lost. Alex Smith was not playing at QB at the end of the game (if at all, I only caught the end because of the Denver game). The Chiefs had locked up 5th place weeks before so they rested a lot of players. I do not understand why people would root for such an average team in terms of all the playoff teams.

They had some fluke losses to the Texans and Redskins so I saw it as the Football Gods course correcting.

An 8-8 team with a rapey QB and a cheating coach shouldn't be rewarded with a playoff game anyway.

JCizzle

Alright which GAFer was this?

iZymEUj5UaVEB.gif

Classless heathens. Then again they worship a drug addicted redneck, so it's not surprising!

Kaepernick is the winningest QB in 49ers history in road playoff games. And it feels so good!

Damn that's impressive. Now he just needs a fucking ring! Anything else is a failure IMO. Joe and Steve set the bar high!

MechDX

Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum 1m
Odd fact-the only 3 D C jobs that I was fired from- I was interim H C & interviewed for that team's H C job. Not taking interim again!

I love Wade. Great guy, good DC but he is coming off salty as fuck since he was fired.

Dolphins and Jaguars.

*runs away and hides*

gata is going to be so conflicted with you, he hates the dolphins but loves the jags,

It is hard not to stare at the fit girls in the gym.

They have a line of step machines right next to the basketball court of the LA fitness I go to and it can be distracting when they get a line of hotties wearing yoga pants on them....

yup, I try to stay away from the cardio machines....it's just too much sometimes lol

Talon

fucking spammer
Love you too, brah!

I really want to see something similar happen with the Super Bowl. Think about how great it would be to have a simulcast where current coaches like Harbs, Harbs Jr., and McCarthy are talking about coverages and offensive philosophies during the game.

To be fair, other networks have been doing similar things to a lesser extent - specifically NFL Network has their TNF simulcast show on NFL.com, but they don't broadcast actual game footage for obvious reasons.

squicken

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing
RT @msteller123: What are my Browns doing?? There is a secret plan?? ... Haslam very involved. I mean, very involved.

What's the word, Browns-GAF? Good or bad?

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Once Manziel announces his intention today to enter this year's draft, the speculation officially starts for the #Browns to draft him.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Has to have the right coaches, but he's the guy for the FO.

:(

rando14

If any of y'all are interested, I wrote up a piece analyzing ESPN's little experiment monday night: www.smallmarketbias.com

Thanks for the read. So did ESPN admit that the experiment was a "success" in terms of getting the viewers they wanted? If so then I can imagine they'll try it again in the future, but I'm not sure how well it'd work with sports championships that extend multiple games. Seems to me it would be optimal for a championship that is for one day only (ncaaf, ncaab, nfl etc)

yup, I try to stay away from the cardio machines....it's just too much sometimes lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dcTfNmThUM

eznark

Banned
That TNF simulcast is fucking garbage too. It's like the z-list giving random play by play of something they are watching.

I think the first place I really remember seeing it is on XM radio, they used to have a show on in the evening once the games started and it was Larry Bowa, Mark Patrick and Buck Martinez commentating on games as they happened, and they would jump to different games based on what was interesting. It was so fucking rad.

MechDX

What's the word, Browns-GAF? Good or bad?

:(

Al Davis 3.0

I just don't get this. Look historically, Superbowl winning teams pretty much have a hands off owner. I can not think of a team in recent memory that had a Superbowl season and a hands on owner.

Talon

Thanks for the read. So did ESPN admit that the experiment was a "success" in terms of getting the viewers they wanted? If so then I can imagine they'll try it again in the future, but I'm not sure how well it'd work with sports championships that extend multiple games. Seems to me it would be optimal for a championship that is for one day only (ncaaf, ncaab, nfl etc)
We'll have to wait for Richard Deitsch's media column on Monday to find out about the ratings, but I'm sure ESPN will send out a press release soon about the aggregate viewers across all the channels.

But, yep, you're absolutely right. It scales well for single events like championship games, but - that being said - simulcasting the ads across the whole family of channels answers the "what about advertisers?" question.
that ESPN News coverage was so refreshing
It was really great - even with Millen trying to interrupt every 10 seconds.

eznark

Banned
When did he say Raji is the problem?

We'll have to wait for Richard Deitsch's media column on Monday to find out about the ratings, but I'm sure ESPN will send out a press release soon about the aggregate viewers across all the channels.

But, yep, you're absolutely right. It scales well for single events like championship games, but - that being said - simulcasting the ads across the whole family of channels answers the "what about advertisers?" question.

It was really great - even with Millen trying to interrupt every 10 seconds.

Post your shit more often.

squicken

Al Davis 3.0

I just don't get this. Look historically, Superbowl winning teams pretty much have a hands off owner. I can not think of a team in recent memory that had a Superbowl season and a hands on owner.

There are degrees of this. Owners will demand staff changes in the offseason. They will be the ones to pick the QB in the draft. Decide on FAs. It's just behind the scenes and fans never know about it until years later when someone talks about it. Most owners will have a big role in selecting the head coach. But it isn't a good look for the way CLE is currently being perceived for him to also be taking a big role, I agree

effzee

Seeing Tom Gamble's name floating around a lot as a top candidate for the Miami GM job. I wonder if he'd be interested in coming somewhere so dysfunctional? I guess I'd be okay with it, it seems like he's done fairly well for SF and Philly.

WTF stay away from him. We just picked him up last off season. He has great work to do this draft and FA.

MechDX

There are degrees of this. Owners will demand staff changes in the offseason. They will be the ones to pick the QB in the draft. Decide on FAs. It's just behind the scenes and fans never know about it until years later when someone talks about it. Most owners will have a big role in selecting the head coach. But it isn't a good look for the way CLE is currently being perceived for him to also be taking a big role, I agree

The only thing you listed that should be an owners responsibility is the hiring and firing of staff. Leave everything else to the guys you hire but stay in the loop. Just as bad as having your QB sit in on coaching interviews. Nothing good can come from it

bionic77

Jerome Bettie just picked the pats as his playoff team

shows again that like bionic all steelers are closet Brady fans
The new lunchbox might be dumber than Gata.

Pat fans set the bar so damn low. The world would be better off without them.

dionysus

Yaldog
Just as bad as having your QB sit in on coaching interviews. Nothing good can come from it

I don't get it either. Most organizations benefit from a clearly defined hierarchy and roles and responsibilities unless you go for something radical like valve, which no NFL team does.

No matter how important your rank & file employee, he should never be assisting in hiring his boss. It sends all the wrong messages about who is really in charge.

MechDX

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/numbers-keenum’s-shocking-sack-stats

What once made Keenum look like a potentially dynamic player also made him very ineffective at times. Keenum’s ability to get away from pressure and create plays worked on occasion but when it didn’t, he lost a ton of yardage.

And that’s not just some memory distorted by the disastrous season. Here are the numbers to prove it:

Keenum was sacked 19 times in 2013 and lost 201 yards. He became the second player in NFL history to lose 200-plus yards on 20 or fewer sacks in a season. The other was Ken Stabler, who did it twice in the 70s.

And there are still idiots out there saying Case deserves another shot.

Top Bottom