• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

squicken

SelvieBullrushThomasHoF.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's Jets-Age in this biatch, get at me baby.

I know I'm supposed to assume that we're going to suck - and we're very, very likely to 4-12 suck, even - but I am still excited about the new season anyway. Plus, Jets defense is likely to be very, very good.

...oh god, revis christ why :( :(

4-12?

Shit man you're more optimistic about this season than me.

I expect 2-14, Geno doesn't get to play until the last 2 weeks of the season and wins bothof his starts.

Bowser

GO PANTHERS SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPEENS

Realistically I can see the Panthers going anywhere between 7-9 and 11-5. I think we end up 9-7...whether that's enough for a wild card spot in the NFC, who knows

squicken

Why does Weeden get his passes knocked down? Was reading about that in MMQB, and it's a pretty bad number. Does he just not move in the pocket and find passing lanes? A lot of spread QBs hit their drops and then stop moving. Geno is bad at this too. I'm pretty sure they are coached to do it. OU used to coach its QBs that way

Milchjon

Well, that was shit.

Kids, if you're a dumb motherfucker like me, don't go into engineering.

But I think the Dunning Kruger effect applies here and people like me are just too dumb to realize we're too dumb.

Well, that was shit.

Kids, if you're a dumb motherfucker like me, don't go into engineering.

But I think the Dunning Kruger effect applies here and people like me are just too dumb to realize we're too dumb.
A huge part of engineering school is you feeling like you're dumb. It's just part of the process unless you're a freak genius or something. And there is still a chance that's true of you, you can always blame your professors! You got this.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why does Weeden get his passes knocked down? Was reading about that in MMQB, and it's a pretty bad number. Does he just not move in the pocket and find passing lanes? A lot of spread QBs hit their drops and then stop moving. Geno is bad at this too. I'm pretty sure they are coached to do it. OU used to coach its QBs that way

I assume it was based on last year's numbers. Long story short a major factor in it was the offense that Pat Shurmur ran last year.

Weeden was predominantly operating out of the shotgun and/or 5-7 step drops in college. When he came to the Browns Shurmur decided to throw him into his terrible west coast offense and had him doing 3 step drops and quick throws which he wasn't too great at which led to a lot more of those batted passes.

Of course a lot of that falls on Weeden as well, but we'll see if there is a change in the number this season with Norv and Chud focusing more on his strengths instead of putting a square peg into a round hole like Shurmur did.

mjc

I'm not too concerned about Bulaga missing this season. Its gonna suck but he's missed time already and we've survived.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, Newhouse is totally fine. Probably the second best LT in the division. But with Bulaga at LT I think they had a shot at being a very, very good offensive line.

Rodgers needs to loosen up.

V Dawg will be good for the team.

Congratulations on being a scummy belt welcher by the way. You and Gator make a cute couple.

I would fucking love to be 2-14 cause that would guarantee us a starting caliber qb omg

You know that even if we tanked at maximum efficiency, we would find a way to *not* draft the sure thing QB - or if we did, it'd be the one that happened to not develop into that top-tier QB. On top of that, everyone else's QBs will develop.

But at least we'll get a great player who will win somewhere else someday!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
These two stories from PFT have to be related:

Vince Young to work out for Packers on Monday

The Packers will hold a workout for free-agent quarterback Vince Young on Monday, the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported Sunday night.

The news of Young getting a look from Green Bay is intriguing on numerous levels.

A two-time Pro Bowler, the 30-year-old Young hasn’t garnered an NFL job since his release from Buffalo last August. In his last regular-season stint, Young threw nine interceptions in just 114 pass attempts for the Eagles in 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/05/vince-young-to-work-out-for-packers/

Tulloch: Suh and Fairley are “knocking the crap out of everybody”

We’ve been hearing a lot recently about how good Lions defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley look at training camp. Lions middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch has a particularly good viewpoint on that.

Many of Tulloch’s assignments in the Lions’ defense require him to react to the way the opposing guards and center block Suh and Fairley. But Tulloch says Suh and Fairley are knocking opposing linemen backward as soon as the ball is snapped, making it hard for Tulloch to tell what the offense is trying to do. Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham says that’s getting tough for Tulloch to handle.

“The other day, Tully came off the field frustrated, I mean really frustrated,” Cunningham told the Detroit News. “We had a run-play-action drill, I said ‘Tully what’s wrong.’ He said, ‘I can’t get my reads, Nick and Suh are screwing up every play that they run. I couldn’t get any reads; they’re knocking the crap out of everybody.’ I was laughing because I saw it from the sideline. Going back to Suh and Nick playing together, everybody in the league is saying the same thing – look out.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...irley-are-knocking-the-crap-out-of-everybody/

squicken

Bulaga out for the year but hey, we're signing Vince Young.

What an awesome Sunday!

Brandt said Ted always like VY, and I guess neither Harrell or Coleman is doing much for the the backup job. Sucks about Bulaga but it seems at this point he may just be a guy who can't stay healthy. Rodgers is so good, OL will only be an issue vs a few teams.

eznark

Banned
Brandt said Ted always like VY, and I guess neither Harrell or Coleman is doing much for the the backup job. Sucks about Bulaga but it seems at this point he may just be a guy who can't stay healthy. Rodgers is so good, OL will only be an issue vs a few teams.

I knew Thompson liked him, just never realized VY could play LT despite having the body for it.

brentech

Newhouse and Barclay (LT/RT, respectively), didn't allow a sack by SF in the playoff loss last year. Barclay is a hell of a run blocker. I'm not throwing in any towels.

If we allow our runners to run a little more, it will take some pressure off the pass blocking. I think we'll still be improved because of that. Little Dujuan Harris came on strong late last season. Be it the new guys or him, our run can exist.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What's Suh's record against GB? Is his only win that 10-6 game when Rodgers got knocked out for a half?

Terrifying.

After a team like the 0-16 team, rebuilding takes a few years and Suh has been part of that rebuilding core.

We can talk about the past all day long, but the Packers front office (hell the whole NFC North) is scared of what this defensive line can do to their QBs.

Forget the fact we can outscore any team in the league, the defensive line is the best in the NFC North at the very least (IMO only San Francisco and Houston having comparable d-lines).

What to Watch For: NY Giants *takes deep breath*

Offense:

The Clip Board Holder - The Giants spent a 4th round pick on Ryan Nassib. Jerry Reese pointed towards the fact that there was too much value in him not to grab him and several in the organization have voiced that it's time to begin grooming an heir to the throne once the Eli Manning era ends. Right now the Giants have four QB's in camp including Manning, Nassib, incumbent David Carr and Curtis Painter. Nassib has now taken over the bulk of third team snaps with Painter being an almost assured cut. Will the Giants keep 3 Quarterbacks on the final 53? Tom Coughlin wants someone with experience behind Manning but if the Giants truly believe Nassib can be the future or simply want to flip him for picks later, they'll need to keep him on the roster and it's doubtful they can stash him on the practice squad.

Can Mike Pope do it again? - Tight Ends coach Mike Pope is one of the best in the league. Every year the Giants have big question marks at the tight end position and every year he pulls an unknown out of his pocket who goes on to have a 50-60 catch season. The Giants let the Black Unicorn walk after the Bears made him an offer they had no interest in paying. In his place, they signed former Raider Brandon Myers who is coming off a big productive season for them. He will slot nicely into the #1 TE role and coaches have been working with him to improve his blocking. Behind him is last years 4th round pick Adrien Robinson. A massive 6'4, nearly 270 pound specimen who Reese called the "JPP of tight ends". He's been developing and looks to play a bigger role in the offense as both a blocker and in the passing game. Also worth keeping an eye on is TE Larry Donnell who's coming on nicely in camp and could grab a roster spot. Old faithful Bear Pascoe is also on the depth chart but he'll likely be filling in for Henry Hynoski until he returns.

The Running Back Battle - With Ahmad Bradshaw gone, last years 1st rounder David Wilson and surprise stand out Andre Brown will share the load this season. Wilson needs to improve in his pass blocking to ensure he gets a bulk of the carries going into the season. Brown will also play the short yardage/goal line back coming off of a season with nearly 10 TD's. The third running back slot (and the Giants almost always carry 3) is the more interesting battle between veteran Ryan Torrain, Da'Rel Scott and rookie 7th rounder Michael Cox. Cox has had a good camp thus far but the Giants want a complete RB for that third spot and they've kept Scott for a number of years now.

The Right Tackle Position - Another year, another depth chart with David Diehl as the starter. Diehl has been awful for the last two seasons and the Giants spent a 1st round pick on Justin Pugh to eventually take over the RT position. As per usual though, the Giants don't roll with a rookie at a key position so unless Pugh really blows the coaching staff away at camp (and he's currently out with a concussion!), the turnstile will probably keep his job. Keep an eye on Pugh when the second team comes out along with veteran James Brewer who has been developing since the Giants spent a 4th on him a few years ago. He has been getting time at both Tackle and Guard and could eventually end up being Chris Snee's replacement in the lineup once he retires.

Quick Shots:
- Third WR battle is worth watching but unlikely to change barring injury. Reuben Randle has been having a monster of a camp and seemingly has this locked up. Jerrel Jernigan, Ramses Barden and Louis Murphy are likely depth behind the starting 3 right now.
- Henry Hynoski is coming off of a knee injury and it looks likely he will not make it for the starter. Bear Pascoe will fill in unless recently signed Ryan D'Imperio comes on in camp.

Defense:

JPP's down, who's next? - It was recently revealed JPP struggled through a persistent back injury last season and the decision was made for him to have surgery in early summer. The rehab is going well but there's a chance he isn't there for the opener. Mathias Kiwanuka will start in his place with Osi Umenyoira moving on to Atlanta. The depth at the DE position is where things get interesting. Veteran Adrian Tracy, a 6th round pick a number of years ago by the Giants is having a good camp. He has been developing for them for years now and it looks like he'll finally get his opportunity. Another big time camp standout is the Giants 3rd round pick this year - Demontre Moore. Te defensive coaching staff is raving about him. They look his demeanor, his motor and defensive line coach Robert Nunn has said he will "contribute early and often" about him. He's one to watch once the preseason games start. There's some good battles behind those guys including Justin Trattou, Matt Broha and Adewale Ojomo who have been with the Giants for a number of years now on the practice squad.

Find me a secondary, please? - When you're the 31st ranked defense, you need to start looking at why and the porous Giants secondary is a big reason. So you'd expect some significant changes here and you'd be...wrong. Corey Webster will return as a starter. Lone standout Prince Amukamara is having a monster camp right now and will be getting #1 receiver duties. Behind them is old veteran Aaron Ross making a return from a vacation in Jacksonville (his words) and second year player Jayron Hosely. Both will get work at the nickel corner position. The wildcard here is Terrell Thomas. Making a return from a third ACL tear, he's currently on PUP but the Giants like him and if he shows he's healthy he could add some much needed depth. La'Ron Scott and Junior Mertile are some younger camp bodies who could surprise.

Can we stop Alfred Morris or well anyone? - So if the secondary wasn't changed much what about the front? Coming off of a year where Alfred Morris ran roughshod all over the defensive line, the Giants drafted the massive Johnathan Hankins in the second round. He's having a good camp. Cullen Jenkins was also brought in and is seeing time at both DT and defensive end. Veterans Shaun Rogers and Mike Patterson are both possibilities to make the roster with seemingly 2nd round bust Marvin Austin the odd man out right now. The Giants brought in a lot of meat at the position. We'll see if it pays off in run defense.

My Kingdom for a Linebacker - The most glaring weakness on the defense and the most interesting battle to watch. The current starters are listed as Mark Herzlich (MLB), Keith Rivers (SAM) and Spencer Paysinger (WILL). An injury riddled vet and two young guys that have had almost no play time. Jacquain Williams figures to play a big role as he's the best cover guy in the lineup. Dan Connor is a wild card here as he could see time at the MLB in our nickel packages. Veteran Aaron Curry is also having a good camp thus far playing the SAM role. He lost a good bit of weight and seems focused for the first time in years. We'll see if he can rebuild a career mired in mediocrity.

A whole lot to watch here as the Giants are banking on youth, busted up veterans and a whole lot of inexperience.

Quick Shots:
- Antrel Rolle and Stevie Brown are the starting safeties. Rolle will move back to his natural FS position after being forced into the nickel corner role the past few years.

Special Teams:

Who will return kicks? - Only one real battle worth mentioning here. David Wilson is incumbent kick returner right now but given that he will be taking a bigger role as the starting running back - it's tough to see a scenario where Coughlin puts him in harms way returning kick offs. Jerrel Jernigan seems a likely candidate right now.

Tynes out, Brown in - The Giants have a new kicker and Josh Brown is his name. Not really a battle but his consistency is worth watching. Lawrence Tynes kicked the Giants to two Super Bowls but never had a great leg. Brown should provide a stronger leg for kickoffs but we'll see if he can get those three points when they are needed.

eznark

Banned
After a team like the 0-16 team, rebuilding takes a few years and Suh has been part of that rebuilding core.

We can talk about the past all day long, but the Packers front office (hell the whole NFC North) is scared of what this defensive line can do to their QBs.

Forget the fact we can outscore any team in the league, the defensive line is the best in the NFC North at the very least (IMO only San Francisco and Houston having comparable d-lines).

Taking an 0-16 team to 4-12 in just three years is truly the feat of a super human elite level All Pro Hall of Famer.

brentech

How many teams did you outscore last year? Oh, 4, that's right. Oh, you also didn't win a single division game. Yea. Teams are terrified.

Don't make sweeping statements until your team proves it. That's why your shit is so laughable. WR goes down (or crazy) and suddenly you act like you were doomed from the start.

xnipx

You know that even if we tanked at maximum efficiency, we would find a way to *not* draft the sure thing QB - or if we did, it'd be the one that happened to not develop into that top-tier QB. On top of that, everyone else's QBs will develop.

But at least we'll get a great player who will win somewhere else someday!

Johnny football on the jets would be hilarious

Top Bottom