• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

LevelNth

Banned
all true. kap looked very comfortable and was making it look easy. boldin looked solid and our o-lne looked good.

the good and bad thing about kap keeping up his stellar play is that we're going to have to pay him and pay him a lot of money.... like $15-20 mil a year money. but then we also have guys like aldon and iupati and crabtree who need to be paid. can we afford them all?
Didn't get to watch the game last night but I will be this weekend, so disappointed to hear about Jenkins though. Unless he turns it around huge these next three weeks, he may not live out his rookie deal.

As for affording everyone, I'm not even remotely worried. Kap won't get $20m unless we win the show this year, and even still a season and a half doesn't equal $20m. He'll get 12m-15m over 4 or 5, Rodgers esque first extension.

But we're also going to have expensive guys off the roster by the time these guys' big money kicks in. Gore, Justin, Whitner and Boldin will be gone by then. Rogers and Brooks will be released. That's over 30m right there.

We might not get to keep both Crabs and Iupati though, but Iupati still has two years left, and Crabs' injury hurts his resign stock.

I think he did on the Giants.

Never did in Pittsburgh. But he was always well liked in the locker room, but was just not focused. Would always fuck up something at a critical time.
Rarely if ever did on the Giants either. Great weapon and all but I have trouble recalling a moment when anyone ever looked to him as a leader in the lock room.

Guys.

bgjoqe.gif

All that needs to be said.

TheFatOne

I want to see the both Pats WRs and the new TE that have been hyped all camp. Defense is going to suck, but the offense should be interesting at least. I'm also interested in seeing how Brady and Amendola work together.

Dragon

Banned
I think he did on the Giants.

Never did in Pittsburgh. But he was always well liked in the locker room, but was just not focused. Would always fuck up something at a critical time.

Yeah I remember the time he shot himself in the leg. What a fuck up that was.

BigAT

Interesting article on how more and more teams are moving towards eliminating tackling and hitting in training camp and practices.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/nfl-teams-trending-toward-no-tackling-camp

I know this has been going on for a few years now, but it is still mind blowing to me that such a basic, fundamental aspect of the game is can go completely unpracticed. I think the results have made their way onto the field, so many players are complete shit when it comes to form tackling. Guys just drop their shoulder and pray for the best instead of wrapping up or they just whiff completely.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm working and staying at a motel in shitty Palmdale without my laptop so I don't know if I'm going to watch the Lions v. Jets tonight. I just want our glorious offense out there for one series at full strength with Staff, Megatron, Bush, Burleson etc. etc. to drop bombs on Dee Milliner and the Jests.

Someone asked the other day how Ziggy Ansah was doing. He got owned on back to back plays by an UDFA offensive tackle we picked up. I look at this two ways: 1.) This OT has been having a great camp and adds depth for our offensive line. 2.) Ziggy Ansah is going to take a few years to develop which would suck considering who we passed up on to get him. It was just two plays but I haven't really heard anything about Ansah at camp so I'm just assuming he hasn't been making noise which is not a good thing. Darius Slay our second round DB pick has been solid at camp keeping up with Megatron and has solidified our #2 DB spot.

Another thing from Lions camp is the DL has been absolutely destroying the OL. I think its great practice for the OL going up against Suh and Fairley though so I don't look at it as a negative.

And its funny to see the media start talking about us from ESPN to SI. Stafford and our offense are going to be putting up Madden numbers this year. I honestly don't think there is an offense that can hang with us if everyone is healthy.

Get hype guys, Greatest Show on Turf 2.0 will make a brief appearence tonight and its going to be fun to watch.

Solid showing, just praying for health at this point
I was just watching some condensed footage of the game last night and man, Kirk Cousins is a solid QB. We knew this from last season but I was just reminded of it with that early TD drive he led the team on. He could be a good starter for a handful of teams.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Greatest show on turf 2.0? Wow :kas kassing

I'm posting from my phone but type in Matthew Stafford highlights in Youtube and watch his 2012-2013 highlights where he was working with Megatron getting triple team and look at how explosive our offense was considering we had no running game and every single reciever from #2-5 was out the whole year.

We were ranked #3 last year with a depleted offense. No reason for us to not have the best offense in the league if Stafford and most of the key pieces stay healthy.

Bowser

I really hope Little can put it together, despite the way his time at UNC ended. He has immense talent, but seemed to be betrayed by the bricks that pass for his hands.

Littles a pretty legit Wr for us, both years he's been able to get it together at some point during the season and be productive for us. He just gets the usually amount of internet hyperbole hate. He's proabaly one of my favorite Browns.

RBH

Some guy on a Panthers fan board is designing iPhone NFL schedule wallpapers designed to fit in with iOS7's style...here's a preview of the Panthers one, it looks like SEX:

Wow, that looks awesome (aside from the Panthers part, of course!).

SonnyBoy

3. Lance Lewis, my man. I had high hopes for him last year but he didn't really get a chance to show during preseason and was (thankfully) stashed on the practice squad. He does something that nobody else on this team can: high point a football. This isn't a new thing, either: he's 6'4 and did this all throughout his career at ECU, including completely abusing Stephon Gilmore for two TDs in that game. One more game like this and I think he locks up the 6th WR spot.

He definitely caught my attention.

Skye Dawson was okay on his long return at the end but I did not like how he danced east-west. Too much wasted movement.
Brandon Banks 2.0

9. Fits in run defense are to be expected in preseason because the pace of the game is much faster than it is in practice. It was a collective failure on both long runs.
Yep and our starting NT didn't play.

11. Thought Minnifield and Amerson both played very well. Both had excellent coverage multiple times and played very physical, which is to be expected because they are both pretty big corners. Think Amerson has locked down the #3 CB job in the sense that he'll move outside and Josh Wilson to the slot, and Minnifield the fifth corner who will play a lot in quarters coverage.
The problem is, where does Crawford fall into this? Like you said, he's a playmaker. He has great hands.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Screw you Lonestar. You Bama fans and your Longhorn cohorts get all in a tizzy any time you look silly. This witch hunt of Johnny Manziel is prevarication of justice!

He did it to himself.

But the NCAA has no teeth and won't do anything. That's the real injustice. To all the teams they did "do it" to in the past.

Chili

I think Rex showed that he can't operate in the offense. It's not totally on him but this line isn't meant to step back pass-protect. A lot of the lines deficiences are masked by the play calling and Rex is incapable of running a lot of it. If Pat shows that he can be accurate against improved competition, it may be smarter to key him around. But I could see it go either way. Plus, I believe Pat will be used in certain packages with RGIII at the helm. I personally would not be shocked to see Pat in the backfield as part of option package. Hell, RGIII could option to Pat who would still have the option to pass.

Well that would certainly be interesting. How will teams prepare for the quintuple-option! Thinking long-term, if Kirk Cousins isn't with the team after this season then RG3 needs to have a viable backup. If the Shannys think that they could groom Pat White into a legit backup then I can see them keeping him around. I don't see Rex as a long-term backup plan at all.

Brisoe is out and I was a strong advocate for him last year. He looked defeated, it just reeked through his pores. But check the stats though, Hank had the lowest drop percentage of all our WR's... Shocking, right? LOL

Heh, but it's not just the drop. He just doesn't look very confident when he catches. I've heard the same thing from his camp production, he double-catches and often barely hangs on to what should be routine catches.

I totally agree with all of this. I wouldn't be shocked to see Thompson placed on IR. My biggest disappointment was that I had to watch Roysters lame ass for a sustained period of time.

That would be disappointing as I wanted to see him play but I'm very confident with our RB situation for it not to be a concern. Morris is built like a truck, and with Helu helping him out more hopefully it will take the strain off him a little bit.

My suprise cut of camp is Josh Wilson. I'd keep Minnifield over one of our lame safties, like Dejon Gomes. Hall and Wilson are under 1 year contracts, so I'd keep as many promising CB's as I could.

I do think that one of Hall or Wilson will be gone next year but I don't see them cutting Wilson this year. There is so little experience across the entire secondary, unless they stick with Biggers instead but I don't see how that's an upgrade.

Rambo will be the starter. Backup NT Chris Nield failed on that play, then Orakpo failed on that play and it put Rambo in a bad spot. There aren't any more than 2 safeties in the NFL that wouldn't lose to CJ in the open field.

Yeah, it wasn't his fault and I don't want to assume anything about him as a player based off his first game. Hopefully he will bounce back next game.

Jarvis was barely getting pressure and he was going against future bag boys, disappointing.

I remember when he was the talk of camp in his rookie year and then got injured. I don't know if he is still rehabbing from that or what, but he is nowhere near as effective right now.

The rookies will learn the speed of the game and improve. I'm happy they're throwing them into the fire early.

Indeed. I wonder as the season progresses how many rookies we will have on starting defence. Amerson may get a shot at CB, and Rambo and Thomas could be starting safeties (I'm going to assume Meriweather will be injured at some point).

It's definitely a mixed bag but that's league wide once you start going 2 or 3 deep into the depth.

I was kind of hoping we could find a replacement for Polombus. He isn't as terrible as some make him out to be, but the right side of the line could be a lot better.

He has great "measurables" but has Fred, Logan, Niles, and Jordan ahead of him.

Davis had a couple of nice plays as well yesterday, glad to see him back on the field. And Paulsen's one-handed grab was brilliant too. Looking forward to seeing Jordan Reed next week. Whatever happens, you can't blame them for not giving RG3 a good-looking and varied receiving corp. A far cry from the Campbell/Beck/Grossman era.

squicken

He did it to himself.

But the NCAA has no teeth and won't do anything. That's the real injustice. To all the teams they did "do it" to in the past.

Oh I'm just kidding. I have no sympathy for him and really, am tired of hearing about it. I don't want to deal with a Cam Newton season. Let him go to Winnipeg and chisel his name in igloos

Chili

8. Liked what I saw from our pass-rushers. There was one package where Orakpo and Brandon Jenkins were the up-men and Kerrigan a down lineman and it generated a sack in under three seconds. It's important they can consistently get pressure like this this year with a suspect secondary.

He is making quite a name for himself in camp as well. Might be our insurance if Orakpo decides not to renew this year. With Rob Jackson as well there could be some interesting formations from Haslett coming out this year to utilise the talent at OLB.

SonnyBoy

Well that would certainly be interesting. How will teams prepare for the quintuple-option! Thinking long-term, if Kirk Cousins isn't with the team after this season then RG3 needs to have a viable backup. If the Shannys think that they could groom Pat White into a legit backup then I can see them keeping him around. I don't see Rex as a long-term backup plan at all.
I think Kirk is here for another off-season. The organization was to assess just how dumb Robert is. I'll tell you what, Pat White is a smarter runner than RGIII.

Heh, but it's not just the drop. He just doesn't look very confident when he catches. I've heard the same thing from his camp production, he double-catches and often barely hangs on to what should be routine catches.
Yeah. He dropped the handful of catches he had during the regular season too.

That would be disappointing as I wanted to see him play but I'm very confident with our RB situation for it not to be a concern. Morris is built like a truck, and with Helu helping him out more hopefully it will take the strain off him a little bit.
I'd be disappointed too, but they're definitely taking their time with all our ACL injuries. I doubt he'd clear waivers. However, Jawan Jamison may shock us.

I do think that one of Hall or Wilson will be gone next year but I don't see them cutting Wilson this year. There is so little experience across the entire secondary, unless they stick with Biggers instead but I don't see how that's an upgrade.
Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll play out.

Indeed. I wonder as the season progresses how many rookies we will have on starting defence. Amerson may get a shot at CB, and Rambo and Thomas could be starting safeties (I'm going to assume Meriweather will be injured at some point).
Rambo will start at FS on day 1.
Amerson starts opposite of Hall by midseason.
SS will be played by committee in the event that Meriweather goes back down.

I was kind of hoping we could find a replacement for Polombus. He isn't as terrible as some make him out to be, but the right side of the line could be a lot better.
He may improve, last year was his 1st. So let's see how it goes.

Davis had a couple of nice plays as well yesterday, glad to see him back on the field. And Paulsen's one-handed grab was brilliant too. Looking forward to seeing Jordan Reed next week. Whatever happens, you can't blame them for not giving RG3 a good-looking and varied receiving corp. A far cry from the Campbell/Beck/Grossman era.
RGIII has a lot of weapons at his disposal.

He is making quite a name for himself in camp as well. Might be our insurance if Orakpo decides not to renew this year. With Rob Jackson as well there could be some interesting formations from Haslett coming out this year to utilise the talent at OLB.
He's coming back, he wants to be here. I'm sure of it. We'll have plenty of CAP room to resign him.

Matugi

Brandon Jenkins, as of right now, is purely a pass rusher; he doesn't yet have the recognition or change of direction ability to play the run. Orakpo isn't going anywhere, either. All reports say the Redskins are working hard to pump out an extension while his value is still low coming off the injury. That being said, there will certainly be more packages like what we saw last night. I'd like to see a psycho package where it's one down lineman (Bowen maybe, because he's a good pass rusher) and 6 LBs (Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jenkins, Jackson, Fletcher, and Riley). It becomes a five man rush with two LBs doing a double barrel blitz with a stunt and the other two crashing the edge, while having the corners in man coverage and the two ILBs playing zone over the middle.

The problem is, where does Crawford fall into this? Like you said, he's a playmaker. He has great hands.

Crawford is solidly the number 4 corner who will play the other slot in dime coverage. He's the number 3 corner next year, though, with Josh Wilson set to become a free agent.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Interesting article on how more and more teams are moving towards eliminating tackling and hitting in training camp and practices.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/nfl-teams-trending-toward-no-tackling-camp

I know this has been going on for a few years now, but it is still mind blowing to me that such a basic, fundamental aspect of the game is can go completely unpracticed. I think the results have made their way onto the field, so many players are complete shit when it comes to form tackling. Guys just drop their shoulder and pray for the best instead of wrapping up or they just whiff completely.

No tackling at all in camp? :jnc Cheatin' Chip better put 50 on the board every game because that defense is going to suck.

Dragon

Banned
I'm posting from my phone but type in Matthew Stafford highlights in Youtube and watch his 2012-2013 highlights where he was working with Megatron getting triple team and look at how explosive our offense was considering we had no running game and every single reciever from #2-5 was out the whole year.

We were ranked #3 last year with a depleted offense. No reason for us to not have the best offense in the league if Stafford and most of the key pieces stay healthy.

Considering the Lions were last in their division in scoring, I hesitate to nominate them as the best offense next year. Throwing a billion times a game and racking up pointless yards is great for your offensive ranking, but the greatest show on turf had three years straight of 500+ points. Not to mention Warner had like a 9.4 yards per attempt one of the years. Even with Megatron there's no shot of that.

Lions fans:

Article on Ziggy Ansah and his time in football. Suh took the guy under his wing the day he got drafted. Surprising to see such leadership from the dude.

No tackling at all in camp? :jnc Cheatin' Chip better put 50 on the board every game because that defense is going to suck.

Steelers camp chock full of hitting. I'm glad for it. Too many bitch ass teams in the NFL and last year the Steelers were one of them.

bionic77

I wonder what Limas Sweed thinks of Little. "Wish I got drafted by the Browns. You don't need to be able to catch there. I'd be perfect!"
Sweed would drop wide open catches when he was behind the defense.

That makes his drops feel worse than anyone elses.

I always wanted Sweed to make it. :(

bionic77

Some guy on a Panthers fan board is designing iPhone NFL schedule wallpapers designed to fit in with iOS7's style...here's a preview of the Panthers one, it looks like SEX:
Sex?

That only looks like sex if you are doing what FMT is doing and combining defecation with fornication.

Ralph V has a nice preview up for the first preseason game on Saturday. Top 5 things to watch which line up nicely with my initial writeup:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/08/5-things-to-watch-in-the-giants-preseason-opener

1. Who and what are the linebackers? It seems that the initial starting group will consist of Mark Herzlich in the middle and Spencer Paysinger and Keith Rivers on the outside, followed by Dan Connor flanked by Aaron Curry and Jacquian Williams. But that initial group is no lock to be the one that opens the regular season. It's not so much a competition as it is a free-for-all and everybody -- including Kyle Bosworth -- is in the mix. The preseason games is where they'll separate themselves. Can Herzlich continue his underdog story? Is Williams ready to fulfill his presumed potential? Do Curry or Rivers have anything left? A mere 12-15 snaps won't tell that story, though if any "starters" play longer than that on Saturday night it figures to come from this group.

2. Is Damontre Moore really DaMonster? I remain very skeptical about whether Jason Pierre-Paul will be back in time for the season opener, or if he'll even be much help the first month of the season -- especially after listening to him last week. That means there's a huge gap to fill behind Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka in the defensive end rotation. Now that Adewale Ojomo, last year's preseason sensation, seems to have fallen off the map, Adrian Tracy is the returning player with the best chance. But the Giants would love Moore, their third-round pick, to seize that role. So far he's earned rave reviews for his work in camp. But there's a huge difference between no-hitting, no-scheming practices and what happens when the pads come on for real.

3. How good is Reuben Randle? We may not see much of him, but when he's out there he figures to be a frequent target of Eli Manning. Hakeem Nicks (groin) almost certainly won't play and the Giants don't really need to see what Victor Cruz can do. But Randle showed promise at the end of last season and has had a brilliant start to training camp. With no Nicks out there, it'll be real interesting to see what kind of separation he can get against a first-team defense and how locked in he and Manning really are.

4. Besides the O-line, can anybody block? Last week David Wilson was talking about his blocking ability -- one of the biggest question marks about his game -- and he said he wasn't even sure how he'd do. It's not a size or strength thing, it's about technique and knowing assignments. Everything seemed OK in camp, but there's no actual blocking in camp. He admitted he wondered how he'd do in a real game. There's probably the same question for running back Andre Brown and new tight end Brandon Myers. The Giants have had much better, much more tested RB/TE blocking tandems in their past. How good this group is will determine a lot for the Giants going forward. If they can't block well, it could change the basics of the Giants' offensive scheme. If they can, the offense could be extremely explosive.

5. The DB show. Prince Amukamara and the returning Aaron Ross have had excellent camps, but covering receivers you see every day on routes you can probably call out before they start is easy compared to what they'll face on Saturday night. This is a great chance for them to show how much better the Giants' secondary can be. Eyes will also be on Corey Webster, though he won't play much, and Jayron Hosley who had a promising but erratic rookie season. There's also a wild battle for the third safety spot behind Antrel Rolle and Stevie Brown, where rookie Cooper Taylor, Will Hill, Ryan Mundy, Tyler Sash and several others will get a chance to win what is a very important job in the Giants' defensive scheme.

I've been waiting for someone dumb enough to suggest this.

Five NFL Teams that Should Just Move Already

Detroit Lions
Issue: Detroit

Right now, there isn't even a remote chance this team is going anywhere.

Ford Field just opened in 2002, the team playing in it is just a year removed from its first playoff appearance in more than a decade and Lions fans have been especially forgiving since the team went 0-16 in 2008. It takes a lot for them not to show up to a game.

"A lot" is pounding at the gates, however. The surrounding city declared bankruptcy last month. A full 40% of the city's street lights have been turned out. Roughly 120,000 of its buildings sit empty. Response times for 911 calls extend to nearly an hour, while fewer than 9% of crimes are ever solved.

What does that have to do with football? The Lions would argue not a whole lot. They actually left their former home, The Silverdome, vacant in Pontiac, Mich., to move back into the city. They're trying to generate some revenue eight days out of the year, bring folks into the city and give it something to rally around. Taking out an NFL team and the jobs that come with it to leave another empty building just isn't an option.

Yet. Bankruptcy wasn't supposed to be on the table for Detroit, either, but here it sits. The
town's steady decline has taken everything else down with it. The Lions are to be commended for not giving up on Detroit, as are the Tigers and the Red Wings -- who just announced plans for a new downtown arena in June. Whether those teams can continue to prosper as the city around them collapses depends on whether Detroit's hit bottom or still has a way to go.

I look forward to him using the same line of reasoning for getting the Bears, Browns, Bengals, Bills, and others to move in the future.

Top Bottom