• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

eznark

Banned
Stats Man is a Packers fan!

9472045871_924ed9aa87.jpg

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk free agent Randy Moss has a "tentative" agreement to join FOX as a commentator.
The deal isn't finalized, but "no glitches currently are expected." Joining FOX would likely make Moss' retirement official. Now 36 years old, Moss drew few nibbles in free agency due in large part to the facts his athleticism and explosion have evaporated, and Moss was only open to ideal team scenarios.
Interesting.

Psshhh....we get free slushies from Sonic every Tuesday after a Texans win. Includes preseason.

I'm pretty sure they get something free from Bojangles in the Charlotte area after a win.

But this is muthafuckin hot Krispy Kreme donuts. Literally every bite tastes like a piece of heaven (and diabetes)

Future you might like this:

Behind the Steel Curtain asks Ed Valentine, editor of Big Blue View, 5 questions pertaining to the Giants ahead of their preaseason matchup.

1. How has Ryan Mundy been looking for you at this point? He wasn't exactly a great player for us, but we always keep tabs on former Steelers.

Mundy is not a superstar, the Giants knew that when they signed him. He is a useful player, however, and is fitting in nicely. The Giants like to use packages with three safeties, and Mundy appears likely to be that third guy as of now. I expect him to get a decent amount of playing time for the Giants.

2. In that same vein, how do you guys feel about Plaxico Burress? I could make a "shot himself in the foot joke," but I won't. He shot himself in the leg. Obviously, he was a big part of a Super Bowl championship team. Are fans still bitter with how his Giant's career ended?

Burress? Could care less, really. I heard Friday morning that he tore a rotator cuff, and I doubt any Giants' fans will shed a tear if that's the end of his career. He was a terrific player for the Giants for a while, but he was also a jerk. And his 2008 "incident" cost the Giants a chance to win back-to-back Super Bowls. So, are fans still bitter? I think the tone of my response gives you your answer.

3. How do you see the market developing for WR Hakeem Nicks? It gets harder to keep two high-level WRs as the Steelers saw with Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.

What happens with Nicks could be a fascinating thing to watch. The Giants have already paid Victor Cruz big money and they have Rueben Randle looking like he could become a star. If Randle plays well enough it might not matter what Nicks does in 2013 -- the Giants might decide to just give that job to Randle. My guess? If Nicks leaves the Giants -- which right this minute is what I think is going to happen -- I think he ends up going home and playing for the Carolina Panthers.

4. What is your favorite moment in Giants history?

Oh, boy. Well, there is Scott Norwood and wide right in the 1990 Super Bowl. There's the helmet catch by David Tyree in the 2008 Super Bowl. I think I am going to go with this -- I don't know if it ever gets any better than beating the heavily-favored and arrogant New England Patriots TWICE in the Super Bowl within a five-year span.

5. Do you cringe when you see Eli Manning with his brother appearing in commercials during the season? Is there a legitimate fear about the success of his rap career?

Nah. That was hilarious. I loved it, and his teammates loved it. Alexander Graham Bell? "Who cares? Dude's dead!" Best line ever.

ChanHuk

Banned
Some mods have flat out said they give us a lot of leniency here in the fort. But SNES is like a lemming to the ocean: he will venture there sooner or later and fall off the cliff. It is in his nature

I don't post in the NBA thread but why does it get locked almost regularly?

Sup guys

squicken

Dwayne Allen foot injury :(

Jarrett Bell ‏@JarrettBell
#Colts awaiting results of 2nd opinion on Dwayne Allen's foot injury. If serious, it's big blow for 2-TE sets in OC Pep Hamilton's offense.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
man I am so damn excited. Football was away for too long. I felt so unAmerican

We got this beast.

I managed to get off of work early today. Its one of the benefits of being the bosses son. My dad, being from Montenegro watches mainly soccer and basketball and not much football. When I told him I had to take off work to watch the Lions play he said "who gives a shit they're going to lose anyway, stay here and make some money." SonIAmDisapoint.jpg

He doesn't watch football that much so I really didn't want to explain to him about Stafford, Megatron, Bush, Suh etc. but we've got to get over that proverbial hump of mental losing like the Saints and Cardinals have recently.

EDIT: And Randy Moss as a commentator is going to be amazing. I can't wait.

Yeah, I like Valentine. Decent writer and he does good work over at BBV. He also did a five question session with Neal Coolong if you hadn't seen already seen it:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/8/9...elers-five-questions-behind-the-steel-curtain

Ed: How much are the Pittsburgh starters expected to play Saturday?

Neal: I would imagine a series or two. Offensively, they're going to want to get a good, long look at rookie Landry Jones and
John Parker Wilson under center.

As you know, the problem of teams with franchise quarterbacks is having to highlight the battle for their third string spot.

Defensively, though, there are a lot of younger guys who need to get some reps, so I would imagine a starting 11 group being quickly subbed out and the second and third string guys mixing in and out the rest of the game.

Ed: Tell us about some of the young players you are looking forward to seeing, and who Giants fans should watch for?

Neal: Second round RB Le'Veon Bell has probably been earning the most headlines as far as the younger group goes, but he'll probably have roughly the same amount of carries as either Jonathan Dwyer or Isaac Redman - you remember Redman, I would imagine.

Markus Wheaton, a third-round wide receiver out of Oregon State is an intriguing player this season. Lot of talent, a bit behind on the learning curve due to that stupid NCAA rule that doesn't allow players to participate in team practices until their graduating class is out for the year. Not sure what kind of impact he'll make right away, but I think he's a special player. Great all-around tools, needs some work on his hands, but he'll be an outstanding player at some point in his career.

Ed: What is Plaxico Burress showing so far? Does he have anything left and can he be useful for the Steelers?

Neal: He's showing that he's tall, he's old (36 next week) and apparently players are referring to him as "grandpa."

Ouch.

I've heard he's in great shape, and with a veteran minimum contract and still maintaining an able-body, I think he'll make the team. We'll see how much he contributes, but 40 catches, 500 yards and three touchdowns is seen as a success for a guy making $900k a year.

[NOTE: This question is now moot, since Burress is out for the season. Neal's answer is still an interesting one.]

Ed: An 8-8 finish in 2012 was disappointing for Pittsburgh. Are you confident this season will be better for the Steelers?

Neal: Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised the reason the Giants drafted Ryan Nassib this past year was because of what happened to the Steelers after Roethlisberger was injured. Byron Leftwich managed to tear up his shoulder on a running play against Baltimore in one of the first plays of the game, and Charlie Batch looked abysmal at times. He looked serviceable other times, but plain and simple, in this league, you can't have a big drop-off at the quarterback position and expect to win.

Making it worse, I'd argue Roethlisberger's more skittish, dumber and more careless twin brother replaced him in the season's last four games. He played terribly down the stretch, and the season ended the way it did on the heels of one of the poorest clutch performances in Roethlisberger's career (an overtime interception against the Cowboys and a late-game pick against Cincinnati).

Last year was just weird all around, and I don't mean just because the Steelers finished at .500. The team never seemed to get a real sense of itself and wasn't consistent from game-to-game. I think Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is making a physical camp specifically to train their mental strength, and challenge them to remain sharp from game-to-game. I don't think we saw that often last year.

Ed: Is there a player the Steelers lost from last season's team that you aren't sure they can adequately replace?

Neal: I think it's James Harrison - and yes, I'm aware how fast Mike Wallace is. Harrison was and probably still is better at his position than Wallace ever was at his. He's more versatile, and while Wallace can change a game on just two catches, Harrison can with two blown plays. He never made those mistakes; or at least he never made them often.

I think the team had a very tough decision to make in offering him a pay cut to stay, and I don't blame him for turning them down (even if he accepted a little less to play for Cincinnati). Harrison is one of the more underrated pure football players of the last 10 years. No outside linebacker set the edge better than Harrison did against the run. No one. I don't see anyone on the Steelers roster, and very few around the league able to do what Harrison did from 2007-2011 for the Steelers.

Lots of guys run deep and catch the ball with their chest. Harrison owned the defensive right edge for five years. It's not a coincidence the Steelers are the top defensive team in the league over that time period.

We got this beast.

I managed to get off of work early today. Its one of the benefits of being the bosses son. My dad, being from Montenegro watches mainly soccer and basketball and not much football. When I told him I had to take off work to watch the Lions play he said "who gives a shit they're going to lose anyway, stay here and make some money." SonIAmDisapoint.jpg

He doesn't watch football that much so I really didn't want to explain to him about Stafford, Megatron, Bush, Suh etc. but we've got to get over that proverbial hump of mental losing like the Saints and Cardinals have recently.

EDIT: And Randy Moss as a commentator is going to be amazing. I can't wait.

And the Rams for practically their entire tenure in STL

Fantomex

Fantomex, I need more advice. Any good sushi places here?

Crap I just saw this, rough day at work.

Arigato
1225 State St
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

But remember one thing Dutch. Santa Barbara can be like a fake San Francisco. Since they want to stand out, they mess around and do all this "fusion" cuisine. So make sure you look at pics of the food first. That place is pretty good and traditional for the most part though. And it's also on State Street.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
And the Rams for practically their entire tenure in STL

You guys at least had the Greatest Show on Turf 1.0 which was a hell of a team for a good while. But yeah, the last 6-8 years it seems like Rams and Lions have been trading #1 and #2 picks.

Hotel doesn't have NFLN so going to have to watch the Panthers game tonight. :(

If you have your laptop there are other ways to watch the game. Or you could find a local bar/Chilis/BJs and just have the bartender change it to the game you want to watch.

Oh yeah and Dutch Patriot if you're in Los Angeles County I really recommend you hit up King Taco. Soooo fucking good dude. I say they're the In-N-Out of Mexican fast food because no matter what location you go to the quality stays the same.

You guys at least had the Greatest Show on Turf 1.0 which was a hell of a team for a good while. But yeah, the last 6-8 years it seems like Rams and Lions have been trading #1 and #2 picks.

Blah The Greatest Show on Turf only really lasted about 3 years followed by a bunch of years of denial about how shitty we were getting

He'll be fine, BE.

Besides, it's not these shitty pre-season games I'm worried about.
These are the games he can afford to make mistakes in. Week 1 and onward? Not so much.

Still staying with Vikings news:

Great article on Jarius Wright (I apologize if it's been posted).
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wright-asserting-himself-vikings-wr-234157159--nfl.html

I like where this guy's head is.

Has it dawned on other Vikings players that Jennings basically admitted that the Vikings organization has resigned itself to mediocrity while the Packers demand excellence?

Top Bottom