• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
michael-jordan-age-50.jpg

Look at that bastard dunking on gata. Greg, don't let the power go to your head!

God help us if anyone on the offensive line goes down. Horrid depth. Cordle looks awful.

Nice completion by Nassib there under pressure.

Thoughts:

- Run defense needs work. This team will be playing much better zone blocking teams (Redskins) and they need to get that shit under control. Alfred Morris and Shady will run all over this defense if this is what they bring to the regular season.

- Damontre Moore impressed. The camp raves proved out true. I'm excited to see what he does going forward. The younger guys on the line played well in general. Trattou, Ojomo and Hankins in particular.

- Offensive line is still a big question mark. Running game was non-existent for the first team. Cox got some traction later on but get well soon Hyno, Snee, Pugh and Brewer.

- David Wilson was in on pass protection for 2-3 snaps? Yeah, that's a problem.

- The Linebackers are putrid. Just purtrid. No other way to say it.:( Rivers and Curry (What?) had decent games but Herzlich and Paysinger looked slow and couldn't disengage from blocks. Just lost in the wash. Williams had a couple of nice plays but he's more a cover Backer than a physical run stopper.

- Not a great start for Nassib but fuck me that third/fourth string offensive line was a joke. Hope he gets some time over Painter next game.

squicken

-Giants are still SB contenders. Their LBs always suck and they always look like their OL is patched together. Their fortunes rest on the front 4s ability to get healthy and hot

-Less optimistic about Pittsburgh. Just not sure the playmaking will be there on offense. Defense is playing lots of old guys. Seems like the Steelers of 5 years ago would have replaced some of their faded stars

Okay, thoughts:

1st team O-line looked great, and so did Adams. It was night and day from last year on the left side.

Similarly, Gilbert looked serviceable on the right. He outplayed Beachum handily.

LSH was great. dude is fresh since the Cardinals barely used him. Gonna be hard for Dwyer to make the team and near impossible for Batch to.

Ta'amu is streaky. One play he's easily pushed aside, the next he moves the entire line into the QB. Dude has shown good flashes but needs work .

..As does Jarvis. Tons of indecision and mental lapses from him tonight. His athleticism covered up a fair bit of it but that won't fly in the regular season.

Love the hustle from the depth backers. Williams, Robinson, Rolle, all had good games.

All Woods as well. Don't know how any team got rid of him as he's been a stud for two seasons now.

Shamarko is living up to the hype. Dude has a nose for the football.

Corners were all over the place. Cromartie Smith is cooked - can't square up and tackle properly. Golden looks great and it wouldn't surprise me to see him and Thomas replace Polamalu and Clark in the Secondary.

I want Derek Moye to make the team, but it seems he doesn't have any fight in him. Catches the ball then turns to the sideline. Haven't seen much in the way of footwork from him. Justin Brown is raw too. Seems the Steelers are destined to have shrimpy receivers.

Paulson had a great game, which is good, because he's the only TE we have.

Torn MCL for Degeare (offensive lineman that got rolled up).

Coughlin on Nassib:

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr 5m

Coughlin said Nassib needs more time to throw before they can evaluate. #nyg

I liked that Wheaton kid the Steelers had at WR by the way. Adrian Robinson was also impressive for a depth guy.

Baron Batch was completely useless. His time is done on the team.

Knew that from last season. Dude can't run or catch. Real shame as he has great awareness and is excellent blocking in the backfield.

-Giants are still SB contenders. Their LBs always suck and they always look like their OL is patched together. Their fortunes rest on the front 4s ability to get healthy and hot

-Less optimistic about Pittsburgh. Just not sure the playmaking will be there on offense. Defense is playing lots of old guys. Seems like the Steelers of 5 years ago would have replaced some of their faded stars

Steelers are really young on offense and old on defense. Woodley is on notice this season so I expect big things from him. If he gets hampered with bullshit injuries this year don't be surprised to hear he gets cut. Coaches are tired of him on the sidelines.
I liked that Wheaton kid the Steelers had at WR by the way. Adrian Robinson was also impressive for a depth guy.

I'm hoping Wheaton is the guy who makes us forget about Mike Wallace. He's already a better route runner than him.

Robinson is great at pressuring the QB. problem with him is he's dumb and is taking forever to learn the other aspects of the defense. If he ever gets it he could be a pro bowler.

squicken

I was listening to the Football Guys podcast with Chris Brown. Was pretty interesting. Conversation turned to what was the biggest mistake made by broadcast crews, and he said the biggest was when commentators talk about coverages, be it man or zone, and who got beat

Said that almost all coverage at hybrid now, with pattern match zones most common. So a defense may look like a zone, but had the receivers run their routes different, it would have looked like man. He said it goes back to the old Jim Mora quote where "you'll never really know".

Brought up history of how Saban and Belichick came up with the concept of that coverage. They had a good team in CLE but lost to PITT 3 times. If they brought a safety up, PTT would kill them with deep comebacks. Play 2 deep and PITT would run it down their throats. They needed another way to take away that deep out while bringing up a safety for run support

squicken

Steelers are really young on offense and old on defense. Woodley is on notice this season so I expect big things from him. If he gets hampered with bullshit injuries this year don't be surprised to hear he gets cut. Coaches are tied of him on the sidelines.

I just worry about the D. On that Cruz TD, it just dawned on me that I was looking at three guys chasing him who had been there seemingly forever. It worked out for the Ravens last year, so you never know. But lots of times you see older teams just get hit with injuries all over, and that inability to replace those vets is further exposed by bad depth. That's my big worry.

That throw by Ben was sick. He's healthy, offense is okay

I just worry about the D. On that Cruz TD, it just dawned on me that I was looking at three guys chasing him who had been there seemingly forever. It worked out for the Ravens last year, so you never know. But lots of times you see older teams just get hit with injuries all over, and that inability to replace those vets is further exposed by bad depth. That's my big worry.

That throw by Ben was sick. He's healthy, offense is okay

Polamalu is garbage in pass coverage. Otherwise I never saw a good replay of how the play unfolded but yeah, most of the age on the defense is on the secondary. Polamalu is 32, Clark and Taylor 33. I'm not terribly worried about the latter 2 but Polamalu hasn't had a full season since 2010.

Anyone ever live on the first floor?

Looking at a condo.

I'm a heavy sleeper so I'm not sure that the noise will bother me too much.
The rest of the time I'll be gaming with surround sound or using my headphones on the 'puter, so I'm not sure how big of an issue it will be.

Looking at a condo.

The rest of the time I'll be gaming with surround sound or using my headphones too.

Don't do it unless you're comfortable with looky-loos at all hours of the night.

Looking at a condo.

The rest of the time I'll be gaming with surround sound or using my headphones on the 'puter, so I'm not sure how big of an issue it will be.
Stay away. Stay far far away, IMO.

I lived on the second floor in a three floor apartment building for years and it was like elephants on parade above me and then regardless of how heavy a sleeper - you'll have to worry about who your neighbors are and whether they have any consideration for those around them.

Hunter S.

Looking at a condo.

I did not mind it at least no one was under me. But, yeah, you will get a lot of drunks and such being too nosey, but I suppose it did not bother me too much. It is fun to get naked and tease the neighbors.
And the sex with the windows open fuck yeah. Seems fine to me really.

bionic77

Missed the game but from looking at the stats and highlights it looks like William Gay is still behind most of PA's ongoing problems with homophobia. Pretty sure they will allow gay marriage within 3 years of his career ending.

The good news is our team is just as bad as I though we were. We can be this years shit SB team.

Agh. Damnit.

It's less than 10 minutes from my work, all utilities are included sans electric, and it's pretty nice.
You just have to ask yourself how high your tolerance level is. I don't have much of one. I had people outside in my hallway at 3AM hooting and yelling on Saturday nights. I had drunks trip onto my front door, etc.

Doesn't hurt to ask/introduce yourself to your would be neighbors and see what's living around/above you.

I live in a townhouse today with thick concrete walls between units so I don't hear shit that anyone else is doing. It's bliss.:D

Polamalu is garbage in pass coverage. Otherwise I never saw a good replay of how the play unfolded but yeah, most of the age on the defense is on the secondary. Polamalu is 32, Clark and Taylor 33. I'm not terribly worried about the latter 2 but Polamalu hasn't had a full season since 2010.

What's Polamalu his contract situation like? You see him leaving the Steelers any time soon? Belichick would probably love to play around with an old and busted Polamalu (And Milchjon would love it too, that Polamalu loving German).

Edit :
M3hdCMN.gif

Completely unrelated to the actual post, just wanted to post it so I can find it in case I need it anytime soon and to share it with you people, because I thought it was funny.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited to watch the Bills in the morning. Jeff Tuel should get a ton of snaps at QB and I hope he kills it! He was dealt such a shitty hand in college with an incompetent coach for most of his career and one of the worst o-lines in football at any level.

Football excitement is really setting in. Lots if changes this year on the team. I think the changes we've made have been solid bordering on improvement for a team that just win the Superbowl, but I've always been a believer in Ray's ability to make everyone better, and with him gone, it could go bad. Plus, Paid Joe Flacco is an unknown. The only thing I'm sure of is it will be different.

Side note: Went to SF to watch the a orioles lose to the Giants today. For Baseball and Football, im on a three year losing streak for games I attend. This bodes well for you, Chicago.

Milchjon

What's Polamalu his contract situation like? You see him leaving the Steelers any time soon? Belichick would probably love to play around with an old and busted Polamalu (And Milchjon would love it too, that Polamalu loving German).

Edit :
M3hdCMN.gif

Completely unrelated to the actual post, just wanted to post it so I can find it in case I need it anytime soon and to share it with you people, because I thought it was funny.

*Polamalu-in-his-prime-loving German.

Now that he's old, I don't mind seeing him take up a spot on the Steelers.

Top Bottom