• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

squicken

blainecsx1f.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09oUUhkSxbQ

Blaine Gabbert: The Real American

Can't get a good look at what happened on the touchdown. Here's what I can see:

d7mwhg.gif

d7mwt5.gif

Gay was slow and didn't drive Cruz off his route at all.

Ike (#24) got beat cleanly. Did Troy think the ball was going there? That would explain how Cruz got past him so quickly.

Steelers were playing a real vanilla defense and all 4 backs were playing straight man, none of them pressing. So i'm not terribly worried about the play breakdown for the regular season. That said Gay's big problem when he was with us was that he's smart as a whip but doesn't have the speed or the strength to deal with NFL caliber receivers. Once Cortez comes back Gay will probably be playing outside, so QB's are going to pick on that, just like in year's past. Really wish we kept Keenan.

squicken

It's hard to see where Troy starts out, but I can't imagine they would expect Gay to run with Cruz all the way down the seam with no help. But he's in press and doesn't slow Cruz down at all

It's hard to see where Troy starts out, but I can't imagine they would expect Gay to run with Cruz all the way down the seam with no help. But he's in press and doesn't slow Cruz down at all

Only other thing I can think of is Gay didn't slow Cruz down at all which left Troy out of position to clean up. If that's the case then it's all on Gay. This is where Curtis Brown comes in handy - Has the speed, and physicality to deal with these bigger slot guys.

squicken

This is my best guess and feel free to correct me and point and laugh

It looks like it's Cover 2 Man Under, so the middle third is open. Troy has the wide half b/c the ball is on the opposite hash. Gay probably is taught to force Cruz wide on release., and Cruz does catch that outside the hash. Cruz is a great slot WR and Eli drops it in the bucket. Sometimes the other team wins, though I would like to see what Troy was doing that allowed Cruz to get beyond him

jakncoke

Banned

It looks like it's Cover 2 Man Under, so the middle third is open. Troy has the wide half b/c the ball is on the opposite hash. Gay probably is taught to force Cruz wide on release., and Cruz does catch that outside the hash. Cruz is a great slot WR and Eli drops it in the bucket. Sometimes the other team wins, though I would like to see what Troy was doing that allowed Cruz to get beyond him

Here the problem Troy bad in coverage and so is Gay

That's the thing. That's plausible, but still doesn't explain why Troy was so out of position. None of the DB's were jamming so I doubt Gay was instructed to either.

Only thing that makes sense was that he broke early on Randle (?) and then couldn't correct to Cruz in time.

Matugi

guys the only thing preseason is useful for is evaluating depth. 99% of teams play their most basic and vanilla offense and defense, the stuff they install in the first day of minicamps, so as to preserve the amount of film available for the opener. take a look at the Redskins last year: they were pretty mediocre in pre-season and then obviously everyone knows what happened in the opener. it's why i'm confused as to why chip kelly opened the bag in the pre-seasons, doesn't make much sesne to me.

squicken

Rick Venturi does radio hits in STL, and he was kind of disputing the whole "vanilla" thing. He said 20 years ago, coaches would call each other and essentially script the game. He said they still talk to each other, but it's all very broad about how long they will play the 1s and the like. But there's no more "no blitzing" type agreements.

He said when he was with Haslett, who is a Pittsburgh guy, that on the first day of camp they install 11 pressures. A 3-4 D is going to do a lot of "blitzing" no matter how "vanilla" they are behind it. So there are things to learn. Pittsburgh will play that coverage this year. Troy will need to cover half the field and Gay will need to be heads up on a slot WR

Narag

Rick Venturi does radio hits in STL, and he was kind of disputing the whole "vanilla" thing. He said 20 years ago, coaches would call each other and essentially script the game. He said they still talk to each other, but it's all very broad about how long they will play the 1s and the like. But there's no more "no blitzing" type agreements.

I forgot about that whole row last year with Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh about just that.

JABEE

guys the only thing preseason is useful for is evaluating depth. 99% of teams play their most basic and vanilla offense and defense, the stuff they install in the first day of minicamps, so as to preserve the amount of film available for the opener. take a look at the Redskins last year: they were pretty mediocre in pre-season and then obviously everyone knows what happened in the opener. it's why i'm confused as to why chip kelly opened the bag in the pre-seasons, doesn't make much sesne to me.
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

bionic77

oQhdA.gif

Going to miss those legs. :(
You know nothing Jon Snow.

Did GAF teach you nothing? Before I came here I would have looked at her tits, ass, face and legs in some kind of order. Now I am educated and know she is not breeding material because of the disgusting sharpness of her knees.

Milchjon

God, after a month of studying 6-7 days a week I'm completely burnt out. Can't wait to get completely wasted on Wednesday after failing my next test.

You know nothing Jon Snow.

Did GAF teach you nothing? Before I came here I would have looked at her tits, ass, face and legs in some kind of order. Now I am educated and know she is not breeding material because of the disgusting sharpness of her knees.

she is attractive but appears to be your run-of-the-mill bible thumping nut job. don't nobody wanna fuck that!

jakncoke

Banned
Not good at all, no. It's what happens if you learn nothing all semester and then have like one week per test to catch up on everything.

It will all be different next semester!

No it won't.

Man you gotta straighten up or you're headed straight to living with snes in his moms basement

Milchjon

Man you gotta straighten up or you're headed straight to living with snes in his moms basement

I have another degree already. The unemployment rate for people with a degree is astonishingly low in Germany at the moment. I'll be fine (apart from the fact that I absolutely don't want to work in that field, but that's a different matter.)

Top Bottom