• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

This was an Insider thing on Mark Sanchez

Today, we consider whether Sanchez should be an even tougher sell. Damning evidence came into focus when we pulled conventional wisdom into a room with an NFL personnel evaluator, a defensive backs coach (who wished to remain anonymous) and some advanced stats.

"It's not all Mark's fault, but you can clearly see pressure is not his friend in any way, and it's getting to him," ESPN analyst and former Philadelphia Eagles pro personnel director Louis Riddick said. "Every team that goes against him knows it. It's a given, known throughout the league, that he will crack."

The decision to play Sanchez four minutes into the fourth quarter against the Giants two weeks before Sunday's regular-season opener became a leading NFL storyline this preseason. It became one more symbol of organizational futility and another slap across Sanchez's face.

None of the other veteran quarterbacks competing for starting jobs this summer entered a preseason game as late as Sanchez did on the night he suffered his shoulder injury against the Giants. However, unlike Sanchez, none of the others finished 2012 as just the sixth qualifying quarterback in five years to perform at less than replacement level. And by replacement level, we're talking about the types of QBs teams might sign off the street, not the ones sought even as primary backups.

"What you don't see is a progression of the game slowing down, making fast decisions and getting rid of the ball regardless of the coverage," the defensive backs coach said. "Move around on him and it's almost like he has to wait to see what is going on. The game has never slowed down for the kid. If it's too fast now, there is no opportunity for growth."

Sanchez ranks last in Total QBR (34.7 out of 100, with 50 as average) and NFL passer rating (71.7) among 30 qualifying quarterbacks since entering the NFL in 2009. He ranks second to Ryan Fitzpatrick in the highest number of QB turnovers and 40th in touchdowns, both on a per-start basis. Last season brought a new low as Sanchez -- stripped of the supporting cast that had covered for him -- joined Blaine Gabbert, Curtis Painter, Jimmy Clausen, JaMarcus Russell and J.T. O'Sullivan as the only qualifying QBs since 2008 to finish a season as a sub-replacement contributor.

We're accustomed to hearing about replacement-level players in baseball. The metric has been adapted for football and applied to quarterbacks by taking into account efficiency (QBR) and usage (number of QB action plays) to reveal approximately how many points a team would lose if forced to replace its quarterback with a low-level backup for the same number of plays.

Last season, Peyton Manning was a league-high 147.8 points above replacement. He was a league-leading 86.0 points above what an average quarterback might provide. For reference, note that Josh Freeman ranked 17th in PAR (63.0) and 19th in points above average (6.4). Sanchez was last in PAR (minus-3.8) and PAA (minus-50.2).

Riddick and the defensive backs coach we consulted hit on a common theme with Sanchez. They think he has the smarts to master an offense and recognize in the film room what needs to be done. They suspect he can execute efficiently in practice. But they were certain he struggles to process information in real time consistently enough during game situations.

Jets fans might recall the time two years ago when the Baltimore Ravens' Ed Reed tipped off a likely blitz by creeping toward the line of scrimmage on the first play of a Sunday night game. Sanchez, who would go on to have four turnovers in that game, never saw Reed. And while there was some debate as to whether the offensive line should have adjusted the protection, this was the sort of play that recurs with Sanchez. It is one reason he has had at least five turnovers in a league-worst three games since 2009.

"I'll bet if he was sitting in the meeting room watching cutups of all Baltimore's favorite blitzes and running through it on Saturday night at the team hotel, immediately he could identify the blitz and how to check out of it," said Riddick, a former NFL safety. "Get in the game, though, put the helmet on, now you see Terrell Suggs, you see Ray Lewis across from you, the clock is ticking, the crowd is loud. That is functional pressure. It's not about your Wonderlic score, your 40 time or how you handle a 15-minute interview with a bunch of coaches and scouts. Now it's just you and your heartbeat is up there and it's time to perform. Some guys can't cross that divide."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9626839/nfl-jets-go-geno-smith-mark-sanchez

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sounds like another ESPN piece to push their QBR thing with a PAR stat.

I wonder if we're going to end up like baseball and end up with a few different systems for rating a player above replacement level.

JABEE

I tried to keep track of Gata's comebacks. It was an arduous task. Enjoy.

So it begins...
Gata I like you, but you have some of the worst comebacks on Gaf.

Exhibit A

Are my comebacks as bad as the Browns?

Exhibit B

The Eagles let a fat pig running back run for 432 yards on one play.

Exhibit C

Lets see who's laughing when the Browns play the Pats.

Exhibit D Two for the price of one.
Not as many moose dicks as you bought.

i dont even eat dicks

Exhibit E

You know who is having a down year?

13722754436122.gif

He will have as many game changing moments as Andre.

What exhibit are we on? F?

Unlike some "smarter" coaches we actually draft WR's

hopkins.gif

He will be catching those 5 yard, jump ball fades from Schaub all over everyone

No, we were on E.

Onto...

Exhibit F

You showed promise and then went crazy. Like Vince Young. You're the Vince Young of NFL gaf.

Exhibit G

Exhibit H

No matter what you say to me it wont hurt as much as having Schoob be the Texans QB hurts you.

Exhibit I

Exhibit J

The Texans are ran by people who have no brains.

Exhibit K

The Steeler Way.

Exhibit L

no one is afraid of reed or anyone else on the texans

Exhibit M

Go look for some moose dicks

Exhibit N

That one was good. Browns fans just cant recognize anything good after all these years of shit.

This is like an Exhibit in response to a response to an Exhibit. I don't know if this thread is ready for that level of backwards inception.

And so we trudge onward to Week 1 of the 2013 NFL season. I anticipate another season of brilliant comebacks from the Gata.

bionic77

I wonder if we're going to end up like baseball and end up with a few different systems for rating a player above replacement level.
It's pretty funny how hard ESPN pushes their new stats. A lot of fans love that shit though.

I have never been a stat guy. That shit is for baseball weirdos and fantasy football pussies.

Tabris

You really want to see Peyton schooled by Eli? Because that is what is going to happen.

Peyton may have fathered his (meaning Eli's) kids, but come playoff time Eli is the only one in that family with any balls.

Peyton hasn't had the team around him like Eli until this Broncos team. Only reason Peyton didn't win last year was because of Ray Lewis retiring.

WEEK 1 SCHEDULE
THU, SEP 5
Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8
Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit
Oakland at Indianapolis
Seattle at Carolina
Kansas City at Jacksonville

Late
Arizona at St. Louis
Green Bay at San Francisco

Night
NY Giants at Dallas

MON, SEP 9
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at San Diego

bionic77

Peyton hasn't had the team around him like Eli until this Broncos team. Only reason Peyton didn't win last year was because of Ray Lewis retiring.
He is a habitual playoff choker dude. Eli on the other hand pulls miracles out of his ass when it matters most.

squicken

I had several back and forths with Sando on QBR last year. It's not perfect, but it is the best measure of QB play I think that exists so far

edit: Did Tabris just say that Peyton Manning hasn't played with talent like this Broncos team? Has he ever played with fewer than 2 Hall of Famers? And Wayne and Faulk have had success independent of him

Seda

Too cool for us now?

Hmm?

I typically don't post in the offseason. But now I am back.

WEEK 1 SCHEDULE
THU, SEP 5

Baltimore at Denver

SUN, SEP 8

Early
New England at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Chicago
Miami at Cleveland
Atlanta at New Orleans
Tampa Bay at NY Jets
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Minnesota at Detroit