• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

Doorman

More so than Atlanta or Houston?

Atlanta's offense completely crumbled due to injury, Houston...well they're chock full of problems but just came off of a decently successful year and they've already acknowledged their failures by firing Kubiak.

Detroit has had the division handed to them on a silver platter thanks to the untimely deaths of Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler, and despite the waiter's insistence that the division is theirs on the house, they're continually trying to send it back to the kitchen. ...I think I'm hungry.
Anyway the point remains, Detroit isn't the worst team in the league obviously, but from a season-success standpoint the argument can be made that they're doing less with more than damn near anyone.

Ward made a legal hit by the rules. That being said he's knows he isn't taking Gronk down with a regular hit so he went low on purpose. He didn't need to tell a crock of shit story about how he was didn't tackle high to avoid a fine. That's laughable.

If he said that would you feel better?

Since I need to sleep now:

Of course I am especially pissed because this happened to one of my favorite players.

Of course the game is inherently dangerous.

I'm not gonna pretend like I'm totally impartial here and I'm not gonna dispute obvious facts.

I think I'm mostly pissed off at the "I had to, because fines!!!" excuse. I also think it's gonna be dangerous if this mindset is proliferating among defensive players.

And of course I'm just generally frustrated by this season.

Anyways, I'm out.

To me, it just sounds like sour grapes. "My guy got hurt so I want the rules to change to make that hit illegal." On 99 times out of 100, he would have gotten right up from that hit. However, it was just a hit that was perfect timing where he was pretty much supporting his whole body on that knee. I thought J. Thomas (Denver) tore his ACL when I saw him get hit in the KC game. He took a shoulder to the knee but was only out for two games.

As a fan, you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best sometimes.

JABEE

Cris Carter says Dallas's defense has "healing powers." He feels like suiting up and playing when he sees them.

:jnc

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man, whats the average salary for a CFL player?

Some quick googling seems to imply the minimum is $43,000 and the most any player is making is about $400,000. That number being for QBs only.

CFL salaries aren't revealed to the public though.

squicken

Was listening to the podcast of local radio this morning, talking about Rick Smith using the media to make it look like Kubiak was the problem and that the team has talent. Gross. Should tell you all you need to know that he feels the need to do that. The Texans aren't the Chiefs. There is a decided lack of core talent on that team

Were those the best hair plugs Romo could afford? He looks like a terrible hair club for men commercial in that interview. Just let it go, bro.

Some quick googling seems to imply the minimum is $43,000 and the most any player is making is about $400,000. That number being for QBs only.

CFL salaries aren't revealed to the public though.
Probably about right, for a comparison I believe the average salary for Wnba players is about around 35,000, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hip contusions, broken ribcage, broken arms, although all are less serious than a blown out ACL. No place is is safe to hit. Might as well get rid of the safety position and/or zone defense if you want to limit high speed impacts on defenseless receivers.

NFL needs a significant rule overhaul. This bit by bit legislation is bullshit. And if you can't go for the knees on defense, the chop block needs to go as well.

It's a physical game, unless they changed it to touch football, but there people will still get hurt psychologically from getting touched.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Probably about right, for a comparison I believe the average salary for Wnba players is about around 35,000, correct me if I'm wrong.

If I was younger I'd give it a shot!

A buddy of mine got a tryout with the Argonauts due to his track background. They wanted him as a returner but he didn't work out.

lame, kinda nervous about this game I have the bears suck ass run defense is in full effect tonight. On the bright side we finally get Lee and Harris back, I hope Lee gets a big pick tonight

I don't need the fantasy points so I hope they keep Murray healthy for my playoff run

Mrbob

More so than Atlanta or Houston?

Yeah I think they bump Atlanta to number two. This year has shown Matt Ryan to be a fraud. I wouldn't expect Atlanta to win a title with all their issues but a decent QB would have kept the team around .500. Usually this would be enough to propel Atlanta to the biggest failure of the year, but Detroit had this division gift wrapped and are struggling. If Detroit figures out a way to not self destruct every other week then Atlanta will get top billing.

Houston has Sch00b and Kubes(well, they did most of the year). It is hard to expect greatness from this combo.

About the injury? Nope. It is what it is.That doesn't mean I believe his explanation of why he went low.

Okay. It's just that Pats fans keep going back to that, as if him saying that makes Gronk's injury worse.

I dont think Matt Ryan is a fraud. Had bad O line play and his best receivers missed most of the season.

I always have. Matt Ryan hasn't proved anything besides how great Roddy White and Julio Jones are.

Zeke

I don't need the fantasy points so I hope they keep Murray healthy for my playoff run
I'm starting to think Murray is a scrub or backup I was really excited for him this season but I've seen more flashes than anything consistent Dunbar has made a far bigger impact which makes his loss hurt even more

Atlanta's offense completely crumbled due to injury, Houston...well they're chock full of problems but just came off of a decently successful year and they've already acknowledged their failures by firing Kubiak.

Detroit has had the division handed to them on a silver platter thanks to the untimely deaths of Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler, and despite the waiter's insistence that the division is theirs on the house, they're continually trying to send it back to the kitchen. ...I think I'm hungry.
Anyway the point remains, Detroit isn't the worst team in the league obviously, but from a season-success standpoint the argument can be made that they're doing less with more than damn near anyone.

Detroit isn't the worst team in the league but obviously the stupidest team in the league, and they're coached by a complete douchebag, the worry would be whether Schwartz's moronic douchebaggery has been completely ingrained into those players already that it would be difficult for another coach to come in and make someone like Suh play the right way.

Yeah I think they bump Atlanta to number two. This year has shown Matt Ryan to be a fraud. I wouldn't expect Atlanta to win a title with all their issues but a decent QB would have kept the team around .500. Usually this would be enough to propel Atlanta to the biggest failure of the year, but Detroit had this division gift wrapped and are struggling. If Detroit figures out a way to not self destruct every other week then Atlanta will get top billing.

Houston has Sch00b and Kubes(well, they did most of the year). It is hard to expect greatness from this combo.

I just don't see Detroit as a very good team and regardless of how shit the division is they still have to win their games and they won what 7 games last year? They have 7 now and could still lose out for the remainder of the season, leaving off where they were last year. They won most of their division games which is what they should have done with such a shit division, the problem is the other 10 teams they needed to beat.

I'll give you Houston though, they were never as good as everyone thought they were but Atlanta was better and fell off a lot more than the lions did compared to last year.

If this season put anything to rest it's the idea that the Lion's defense is dominant. Never seen a D Line get pushed on their collective asses on the goal line that definitively.

So here's something interesting from last week. Apologies if already posted:
In a study from Harvard's Roger S. Smith, a research group looked at night games played between East and West Coast teams. It looked at 106 games from 1970-2011 between teams on Pacific time and teams on Eastern time that started at 8 p.m. or later. These were compared against 293 games that started at 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. between East and West Coast teams.

So what happened? The West Coast teams went 70-36 against the spread in the evening games and 143-150 in daytime games. This is a huge difference, and extremely unlikely to be just random chance. It's also not weighed down by ancient games. The study broke the late games into two sets, ones ranging from 1970-1994 (64 games) and ones from 1995-2011 (42 games). Both sets showed a similarly strong effect, with the more recent group of games even slightly more certain. The study didn't look at games between other regions—so no Mountain time vs. Eastern, or Central vs. Pacific.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/west-coast-nfl-teams-have-a-huge-advantage-in-night-gam-1475690606

Top Bottom