• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

squicken

As long as they get top 5 I'm happy. That should put us in position to get Carr, Hundley, or Bortles. I'm kinda flabbergasted by the love for Bortles, though. UCF isn't very good, and they play in a weak-ass conference. I'd like my QB of the future to put up more than 17 points against SMU, ideally.

Yeah it's not like he's Cutler or Eli struggling through an SEC schedule. At least Carr lights up the cupcake defense, though I do understand he has NFL talent at WR. It's kind of the same with Teddy. I wonder why he struggled this year vs some bad teams

The Texans have to draft a QB, though maybe they slide down if someone really wants Clowney

squicken

Eli is definitely staying, but I'm still curious what will happen with this coaching staff. TC I can see staying, but there must certainly be an overhaul on the staff, at least on the offensive side. Garafalo also thinks TC stays, but I haven't seen him spectate much on Gilbride. Fewell has this year under contract but then he can walk. I'd let him go too and look into somebody else. They need to find quality DE's though, or hope JPP can re-gain his 2011 self once his body heals up.

It's really hard to bring in new coordinators when Coughlin might not be there in two years. I almost think that they either keep the existing staff and try and re-tool, or it's a several year tear down/rebuild

MechDX

When Texans lose this week they clinch #1 in draft. Makes final week of season fun for me and Squicken to just fuck someone over for shits n giggles.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah it's not like he's Cutler or Eli struggling through an SEC schedule. At least Carr lights up the cupcake defense, though I do understand he has NFL talent at WR. It's kind of the same with Teddy. I wonder why he struggled this year vs some bad teams

The Texans have to draft a QB, though maybe they slide down if someone really wants Clowney
I'd prefer Cleveland taking the best player available at 4 or 5 instead of just taking a QB "because they have to." This team isn't good enough to draft for need. Hell, I'd be fine with Clowney. He and Mingo could be pretty formidable for years to come.

Draft Tajh Boyd with your second first round pick then snag someone like Aaron Murray with a later-round pick. Create some youth and competition at the position.

When Texans lose this week they clinch #1 in draft. Makes final week of season fun for me and Squicken to just fuck someone over for shits n giggles.
Just imagine if you could have peeked into the future and seen this post before the season started. The Texans season has been insane.

Winning the division is the last thing on my mind, I just hope Miami can take care of Buffalo and the Jets. Those games are far from a given.

If only we had won at least one against balt/bills/bucs(This one being the most painful) or panthers...I guess the important thing is that we have a chance by winning out and not worrying about other teams after what seemed like another disaster of a season.

MechDX

Just imagine if you could have peeked into the future and seen this post before the season started. The Texans season has been insane.

Fucking Schaubiak! Sooner both are gone the better!

I feel 2011 was our opportunity if Schaub wouldn't have gotten hurt. Defense was lights out that year

squicken

I. Create some youth and competition at the position.

I just don't think this works at QB in the NFL. One guy needs all the snaps he can get. I have problems with Fisher on lots of things, but he has said repeatedly that he will never have a QB controversy on any team he coaches again. It divides the locker room. Gets fans riled up. Undermines the guy who wins/losses the job. The backup QB has to be the confidant/buddy of the starter, not a potential usurper

JABEE

I feel 2011 was our opportunity if Schaub wouldn't have gotten hurt. Defense was lights out that year

Mech! What sacrilege is this? I thought you were with the Eagles for life!

Edit: You Too, Squicken!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'd prefer Cleveland taking the best player available at 4 or 5 instead of just taking a QB "because they have to." This team isn't good enough to draft for need. Hell, I'd be fine with Clowney. He and Mingo could be pretty formidable for years to come.

Draft Tajh Boyd with your second first round pick then snag someone like Aaron Murray with a later-round pick. Create some youth and competition at the position.

I feel like Banner and Lombardi think like that as well. They won't just take a QB because they have to. Or they may just trade down for more assets if the guy they want isn't there.

You realize the Texans fell apart because I picked them to win the SB, right? It's just like that avatar thing you're doing only much more potent...

Please forgive me, I did not realize the full extent of my powers.

Can't believe I'm saying this but....I hope Carroll is good to go this weekend....
:jnc

I completely agree but I laughed out loud when I read this.

You realize the Texans fell apart because I picked them to win the SB, right? It's just like that avatar thing you're doing only much more potent...

Please forgive me, I did not realize the full extent of my powers.

:jnc

I completely agree but I laughed out loud when I read this.

I'll give him credit for the last few weeks, but it's still a scary thought when he's out there lol

DMczaf

827768359.gif

So you want another 16 game season with Steven Jackson as your lead back?

Draxal

I think you have to discount that UCF/SMU game because of the weather. I'm a Rutgers fan (please shoot me after the seasons Rutgers and the Giants had), so I've watched them play all three of the qb's this year. They were all very good but Bridgewater had a bad game, but I put it more on Strong trying to run a balanced gameplan against a defense that had no clue to play the pass instead of having Bridgewater just wheel it.

Of course, Fresno State was forced to do so because their defense is beyond horrible as well, where Villes/UCF's d were much much stronger. I'd go Clowney though, and draft a qb later on in this draft, the depth in qbs is much stronger than I anticipated.

KingGondo

Banned
I just don't think this works at QB in the NFL. One guy needs all the snaps he can get. I have problems with Fisher on lots of things, but he has said repeatedly that he will never have a QB controversy on any team he coaches again. It divides the locker room. Gets fans riled up. Undermines the guy who wins/losses the job. The backup QB has to be the confidant/buddy of the starter, not a potential usurper
As long as you feel like both guys are good, I don't see much of a problem. If whoever wins the job performs well, there's no QB controversy.

Personality has something to do with it as well. I don't think Weeden ever connected with the younger guys on the team. Ideally, you want two young guys who are team-first and OK with competing for the job.

When you draft a QB at #4 or #5 overall, it creates a ton of pressure for that guy to be a superstar.

I feel like Banner and Lombardi think like that as well. They won't just take a QB because they have to. Or they may just trade down for more assets if the guy they want isn't there.
I'm fine with that.

There's definitely some rich talent in this draft too, I'm just not convinced it's at QB. There are guys like Boyd and Murray who have a chance to be as good or better than Bridgewater and Bortles.

Let's get this thread going with a re-post of the good news from last night:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...z-unlikely-to-keep-job-if-lions-miss-playoffs

You gotta ask, is it better to hope we lose out and miss the playoffs in order to ensure Schwartz is gone? I honestly think so at this point. It's clear he cannot get the best out of this team, and I just don't want to see him rewarded for managing to stumble into the playoffs, given how weak this division has been due to injuries.

Obviously anything can happen in the playoffs, especially at home. But more than likely we'd just get bombed by Carolina. Shut it down.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You gotta ask, is it better to hope we lose out and miss the playoffs in order to ensure Schwartz is gone? I honestly think so at this point. It's clear he cannot get the best out of this team, and I just don't want to see him rewarded for managing to stumble into the playoffs, given how weak this division has been due to injuries.

Obviously anything can happen in the playoffs, especially at home. But more than likely we'd just get bombed by Carolina. Shut it down.

Worst case scenario: we win the last two and Ford says, "Meh. Winning record."

squicken

I

Of course, Fresno State was forced to do so because their defense is beyond horrible as well, where Villes/UCF's d were much much stronger. I'd go Clowney though, and draft a qb later on in this draft, the depth in qbs is much stronger than I anticipated.

Thanks for the AAC info, btw. Really didn't see much besides a couple of Louisville games

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm fine with that.

There's definitely some rich talent in this draft too, I'm just not convinced it's at QB. There are guys like Boyd and Murray who have a chance to be as good or better than Bridgewater and Bortles.

It's probably not the popular opinion but I am totally fine going into next season with Hoyer/JCamp and a project QB to sit behind them for a few seasons (or less knowing our luck).

Hell that's probably the plan anyways, only difference is they may not have their QB of the future in this draft and may be forced to wait until the season after to draft them.

A healthy Hoyer/JCamp mixed with a few new additions on offense plus a young defense gaining another year of experience and they may have a realistic shot at competing for the playoffs.

squicken

If fucking Hoyer and JCamp are throwing Gordon the ball next year, I'll buy his weed for him so he can get through the year

It'll be interesting to see if that incredibly emotional Packers win serves as a turning point, or if they just shit the bed again. I'm undecided whether or not I want Rodgers back, unless he's a rock-solid 100%. The Packers should win even with Flynn, but there's been a few of those games already which haven't turned out that way.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If fucking Hoyer and JCamp are throwing Gordon the ball next year, I'll buy his weed for him so he can get through the year

Well get used to it barring us drafting Teddy Bridgewater it doesn't seem the plan will be to send out the rookie for Game 1 of next season.

Knowing our QB luck that rookie will be starting at some point between week 5 and week 13 though.

effzee

Back to being shit scared for the game against the Bears.

Just when I started to believe in this team...

sigh

Really hope offense, defense, special teams, and especially Chip all bring their A game against the Bears.

I am afraid of those WRs against our secondary.

KingGondo

Banned
Well get used to it barring us drafting Teddy Bridgewater it doesn't seem the plan will be to send out the rookie for Game 1 of next season.

Knowing our QB luck that rookie will be starting at some point between week 5 and week 13 though.
What they really need is to get a true #2 receiver in this draft. Seems to be a pretty deep WR draft, too.

Tenumi

Banned
I have a weird feeling that should Schwartz be fired, Brian Kelly is going to be the next Head Coach of the Lions...

I seem to remember some speculation towards it, anyway...

MjFrancis

Bold prediction time, I do think either the Cards or the Rams upset the Seahawks and get a win at Centurylink. The Cards are a desperate team, looking for a win and staying in the playoff hunt, whereas in week 17 perhaps starters will be resting, and the Rams could just as easily love to play a spoiler role and perhaps break the home win streak if the Cardinals don't, plus the Rams played us incredibly well last time with their defence and they can contend as shown by their manhandling of the Saints.. In either case, I'm a lot more excited for these last two games than I thought I would be earlier in the season. They're both tough tests and it's no cake walk.
I'm not going to predict one way or the other, but I could see either of those teams beating Seattle, too. The Seahawks have had a lot of games that could have been losses if a single play changed directions. A loss by a field goal or touchdown in a game where the offense was hamstrung isn't too far-fetched.

xnipx

Back to being shit scared for the game against the Bears.

Just when I started to believe in this team...

sigh

Really hope offense, defense, special teams, and especially Chip all bring their A game against the Bears.

I am afraid of those WRs against our secondary.

Even with your shitty defense I think you can out score the bears.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a weird feeling that should Schwartz be fired, Brian Kelly is going to be the next Head Coach of the Lions...

I seem to remember some speculation towards it, anyway...

That was the rumor last year.

If Schwartz is fired and a truckload of cash isn't thrown at Gruden, something is wrong. I can think of several I'd want before Brian Kelly:

1. Jon Gruden
2. Lovie Smith
3. David Shaw
4. Bill O'Brien
5. Bill Cowher
6. Brian Billick
7. Gordon Bombay
X. Brian Kelly

effzee

Even with your shitty defense I think you can out score the bears.

Problem is I thought our shitty defense was gone.

I think we went 8-9 games holding opponents to less than 20 points.

Shitty D came back right when shitty Chip, shitty Foles, and shitty special teams all showed up all at once.

And we aren't exactly a great home team.

squicken

To me, CLE has the CB, the pass rusher (hopefully), the LT, the WR. It's time to get the QB. I am almost certain that the plan for CLE is to draft the Week 1 starter this year, however that shakes out

To me, CLE has the CB, the pass rusher (hopefully), the LT, the WR. It's time to get the QB. I am almost certain that the plan for CLE is to draft the Week 1 starter this year, however that shakes out
The Browns would finish 11-5 this season if they had Tannehill. I agree, time to get the QB!

I want the Steelers to draft a Wide Receiver in the first. Sanders will probably be gone, maybe Cotchery too (9 TDs on the year, people are going to notice that). Ben needs a big target. With Brown emerging as an elite WR, now's the time to get that big number 1 guy. Worse case scenario they fall back and get a tackle, which this draft is flush with.

Top Bottom