• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 9 |OT| - Doin' It 2003 Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

ibyDoqiboUDHn6.gif

bionic77

I don't know how you can spend your whole day going crazy over console specs and shit.

Gaming side is whack right now.

WHACK
Have you never been to Gamespot? Do the regular customers there look like they have anything else more important to do?

Gamers are not a sophisticated group of people no matter what GAF tells you.

squicken

Just tell him to run downfield as fast as he can and have the QB chuck it.

He's 5'8". He can't catch a contested jump ball. He is almost exclusive a first level route runner b/c his catch radius is so small. They did hit him for a deep ball vs CAR that called back by a dumb penalty

He belongs in a spread offense and the Rams don't really have the coach/personnel for that. Would probably be a Pro Bowler for Sean Payton

Bill Barnwell breaks down the Eagles offense:

Growing Up in Public

Well, it didn't take long for the NFL to figure out the Chip Kelly offense. Over the past two weeks, Kelly and his vaunted offense have been held to exactly three points, with the Cowboys limiting them to a field goal before the lowly Giants shut out the Philadelphia offense on Sunday. Only a special teams touchdown on a botched punt could get Philly on the board, and even that wasn't enough to produce a victory for the rapidly fading Eagles.

This is the story that's beginning to surround the Kelly offensive attack; that it was effective for one half against the Redskins, and once the league figured out you could man up the receivers and take away DeSean Jackson, it was lights out for the naive college coach who thought he could bring his silly "numbers" to the NFL. Even worse, it's vanilla. Nothing produced at Oregon is vanilla! Neon vanilla, maybe.

Anyway, that story is just flat-out untrue. The Eagles do have their issues on offense right now; it's hard to score three points over two games without having problems. But they were plenty successful after the Redskins game, and they're not being schemed out of opportunities by adapting defenses. They're creating opportunities and failing to execute upon them. And that reveals what might be the biggest difference between what Kelly was able to do in college and what he can get away with this year in the pros.

First, the idea that the Eagles' offense had somehow stalled out after the first half of the Redskins game is just inaccurate. They scored 33 points in that game … and then averaged 26.6 points over their next five games, one of which came against the best defense in the league, Kansas City. (The Eagles scored 16 points in that game and produced 431 yards of offense, nearly 100 more than anybody else has against the Chiefs this season.) Philadelphia was fourth in the league in points per game heading into that Dallas game, and even better, it was second in the league in offensive DVOA. This isn't even up for debate; if you think the Eagles weren't playing well on offense before the Cowboys game, you are objectively wrong, and it's not particularly close. I'm not sure how much simpler I can make it than that.

So, what's happened to the Eagles over the last two games? Matt Barkley happened. With injuries to Nick Foles (concussion) and Michael Vick (hamstring) forcing the Eagles away from their starting quarterback in each of these last two games,4 they've had to turn the ball over to their rookie third-string quarterback for significant reps, especially against the Giants. That hasn't been pretty; Barkley has thrown four interceptions, fumbled three times, and dropped a couple of snaps amid his 49 dropbacks these past two weeks. Barkley's a rookie fourth-round pick, which means he's not ready to play this early in his career, regardless of which system he gets thrown into. We were spoiled last year by Russell Wilson.
Furthermore, when the nominal starters have been in the game, they haven't been effective. Vick was a shell of himself Sunday, struggling with his mobility within the pocket and his mechanics as a passer. He reaggravated his hamstring injury and had to come out during the first half. Foles suffered a concussion that forced him out, but before that, he was simply having a poor game. As the indispensable Sheil Kapadia noted, Foles left a number of big plays on the field against the Cowboys. Kapadia suggested that average quarterback play would have netted 300-plus yards and 20-plus points against the Cowboys, given how many times receivers were open for big plays. And that speaks to how Kelly's system is creating opportunities; it just needs a skilled quarterback to actually capitalize on those opportunities and recognize open receivers.

I think that's the biggest difference between what Kelly was able to do at Oregon and what he might need to do to succeed in the long term in Philadelphia: His offense will require a good quarterback. At Oregon, Kelly basically ran through a series of middling options at quarterback and got great work from just about everybody he tried: Dennis Dixon, Jeremiah Masoli, and Darron Thomas all had success with Kelly as relatively unheralded (or, in Dixon's case, relatively unsuccessful) options at quarterback. Marcus Mariota was a three-star recruit coming out of Hawaii, but he was the most productive quarterback Kelly had at Oregon, and that was as an 18-year-old redshirt freshman.

At the professional level, the windows Kelly's offense creates are smaller, and the decision-making his quarterback needs to perform has to be done faster and more reliably than the speed at which his current options operate. Foles misses too many big plays. Vick holds on to the ball too long and isn't accurate. Barkley is a project at best. Philadelphia's quarterback of the future — the guy who will eventually prove whether the Kelly offense can sink or swim in Philadelphia — isn't on the roster right now. The Eagles will almost surely draft a quarterback in the talent-rich class of 2014, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they picked Mariota.

Until then, the Eagles will probably be a pretty good offense that takes an unnecessary amount of flak for being unconventional. As long as they're starting an overmatched midround rookie in Barkley, they're going to look bad on offense, because that's what happens to overmatched midround rookies. Then again, just as I cautioned with the Bengals, remember how low Washington sank during the middle of last season. Its hot start on offense gave way to a disappointing halfway point, including two games in which it scored a combined 25 points against the Steelers and Panthers. The Redskins came back after their bye and scored more than 25 points in six of their seven ensuing games. If the Eagles can get Vick or Foles active and healthy, they should be an above-average attack. And once they get Mariota or some other hotshot young quarterback whom Kelly can mold into his system, they'll be even better.

Dragon

Banned
Getting to two Super Bowls and lacking the talent to win either. Awesome..

Lacking the talent? Am I sure I'm reading that right? The 2007 Pats team lacked talent?

Have you never been to Gamespot? Do the regular customers there look like they have anything else more important to do?

Gamers are not a sophisticated group of people no matter what GAF tells you.

Gamestop bro, gamespot is the site I used to frequent when I typed videogames.com into the browser.

DMczaf

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-notes-cb-revis-might-play-more-man-coverage-20131028/

TAMPA — A Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan base weary of watching four-time Pro Bowl CB Darrelle Revis line up off the line of scrimmage in zone coverage schemes may soon get its wish to see Revis play a little more man to man.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano spent the weekend contemplating personnel and schematic changes on both sides of the ball, and one of the changes he plans to make on defense suggests more man and press coverage work for Revis.

“We need to make sure we’re accentuating our best players, putting them in the best position to make plays better than we have,’’ Schiano said. “That’s something I’ve looked at hard, and I know our coaches have looked at it as well.’’

He just found out Revis is a cover corner.

GOD DAMN IT! MY TEAM!

He has been really bad this year. We were depending on him to become a reliable 2nd receiver and he has not come through.

It made no sense to keep him. His ceiling is Antonio Brown and we already have him. We need a Batman to Brown's Robin, not two Robins.

Pretty sure Steelers lost a SB to GB how can that be? How is that they aren't even competitive two years in a row with such good drafting over the years? So strange.

Steelers were at the end of their Championship run in XLV. Talent got too old.

As opposed to the Patriots who let their yearly shit drafts catch up to them.

Boose

He's 5'8". He can't catch a contested jump ball. He is almost exclusive a first level route runner b/c his catch radius is so small. They did hit him for a deep ball vs CAR that called back by a dumb penalty

He belongs in a spread offense and the Rams don't really have the coach/personnel for that. Would probably be a Pro Bowler for Sean Payton

The QB play going forward is not going to do him any favors either.

Jarvis Jones also demoted
"@TrevNWearsPrada: @JayGlazer do you think Josh Gordon will be traded today?"< only if a team makes a big offer.
— Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) October 29, 2013

Browns would need a monster offer to trade WR Josh Gordon. Same with Giants & Hakeem Nicks as they've resisted answering calls at this point
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 29, 2013

squicken

The QB play going forward is not going to do him any favors either.

It's a little unfair to judge Clemens against SEA, but the turnovers will always be a problem. He just is a gunslinger w/o that kind of arm. If they run for 200 yards and play defense like that they will win some games

Things will be more open vs some of the cupcake defenses they will face. TB and CHI for sure

bionic77

Pretty sure Steelers lost a SB to GB how can that be? How is that they aren't even competitive two years in a row with such good drafting over the years? So strange.
Agreed.

We didn't have the talent to beat a garbo wildcard team that never should have made the playoffs (thanks for the choke Giants!) led by a fraud qb who is going to be best remembered for his hatred of cancer patients (his sympathy is entirely with the disease) and being a pretty ok insurance salesman.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Adam Schefter &#8207;@AdamSchefter 4m

Seattle making 11th-hour push to trade for Vikings Pro-Bowl DE Jared Allen, per multiple sources. Vikings also talking to second team.

Farooq

Banned
BTW, dunno if it was posted but Jerry Jones announced Brian Waters is out for the season

Just heard the news. Damn.

This is a huge blow for the Cowboys. I couldn't care less if skill position players get hurt (players like Miles Austin), but when you lose a man in the trenches, it has a huge impact. Tony Romo has a great TD/INT ratio (18 TDs/ 5 INTs), that is largely due to the fact that he has had great pass protection. Doug Free is having a renaissance of sorts, partly due to the fact that he has great guard play right beside him. Murray before getting hurt was in the top 5 in terms of rushing. I also think he had a positive impact on the rookie center Travis Frederick. Frederick has been graded as one of the best rookie lineman in the league right now (Pro Football Focus), undoubtedly because he had a veteran helping him with the line calls and assignments.

Brian Waters was playing at a pro bowl level, and his play with be greatly missed.

brentech

Just had a DS4 arrive at doorstep. Really like the feel of it. The L2/R2 feel great, don't need accessory triggers anymore, and the L1/R1 have nice tactile feel. The sticks are obviously improved.

Love it.

bionic77

I don't know if anyone else here other than ez listens to Tested but I can't wait for Jeremy Williams (friend of the site) to release his Pixel Box.

Sounds like it will be $250 (his cost is $170 I am just guessing on what he will price it at) but I am down for that. Would love to have one of these in my office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJK4LlOwVds --> video of the prototype from months ago.

Fox318

Just had a DS4 arrive at doorstep. Really like the feel of it. The L2/R2 feel great, don't need accessory triggers anymore, and the L1/R1 have nice tactile feel. The sticks are obviously improved.

Love it.

Was it built for people who didn't have girlymen snesfreak sized hands?

Tenumi

Banned
Adam Schefter &#8207;@AdamSchefter 4m

Seattle making 11th-hour push to trade for Vikings Pro-Bowl DE Jared Allen, per multiple sources. Vikings also talking to second team.

Gee, doesn't Seattle have enough big-name defensive linemen? Suppose one more wouldn't hurt...

bionic77

What does the size of your hands have to do with the controller?

I have big hands and have never had a problem with big or small controllers. I think that needing a freakishly large controller says more about your lack of coordination than it does about your supposedly big hands.

Btw, how much do the next gen controllers cost?

I was sick of paying $60 bucks for the PS3 controllers. That is too much. I expect a WiiU pad for that kind of money!

eznark

Banned
I don't know if anyone else here other than ez listens to Tested but I can't wait for Jeremy Williams (friend of the site) to release his Pixel Box.

Sounds like it will be $250 (his cost is $170 I am just guessing on what he will price it at) but I am down for that. Would love to have one of these in my office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJK4LlOwVds --> video of the prototype from months ago.

I haven't listened to tested in months.

Greg

what did they do to the sticks?!

that looks like it's more fitting to the freaks that rest the joint in their thumb on the middle of the stick

MechDX

Adam Schefter &#8207;@AdamSchefter 3m
And @Mortreport says the Vikings are asking a second-round pick for Jared Allen but would consider a conditional third-round pick.

Not too much if its a 3rd, hell no at a 2nd. I still don't get why Seattle needs another d lineman.

brentech

Compared to PS3 controller, which I never really had a problem with, nor the 360 controller, but it does fill out the hand more. It feels really natural getting to all the buttons.
Improvement in every department

bionic77

I actually don't like Whitta. I stopped when they gave a "review" of the chromecast without ever using it. If they don't care why should I?
Wasn't that just Will going off about it like he usually does?

I thought Norm disagreed with him from the get go and then gave a decent review on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom