• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

My faith is with you Flacco just this week
#RestoreTheClaw beat Pats

Lets go Broncos the time is now.

Godgers gonna destroy the Cowgirls so badly and have enough energy to play with Olivia Munn

Russell Wilson do what you do best be DangeRuss

WIlson_original.gif

"You take me down
Spin me around
You got me running all the lights
Don't make a sound
Talk to me now
Let me inside your mind.."

jWILL253

Banned
Cross post

Biased source, but a damn good article on the quality of NFL officiating: http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/1/4/7492725/on-the-nfl-poor-officiating-and-conspiracy-theories

Is a big conspiracy that involved the NFL favoring a more popular team at fault here? Uh, no. It's not as if Roger Goodell or Dean Blandino made a call down to the officials in between the flag being thrown and picked up on that infamous pass interference no-call and decided that was the perfect time to execute "OPERATION: COWBOYS MUST ADVANCE" or something like that. That's not how this works, and no, it's not as if either of them made it known before the game that the Cowboys must advance at all costs.

So, is this instead a conspiracy involving the specific officials? In true Tim Donaghy fashion, did one or more of them rig the game because they had money on the Cowboys? Given what happened years ago in the NBA, I suppose we can't 100 percent rule out this theory, but it's unlikely. There could definitely be bias for the home team involved in Sunday's instance considering how often the officials were booed, and perhaps they were swayed by the home crowd. But a big game-fixing scandal? I don't believe NFL officials would be smart enough to conceal a game-fixing operation, and I certainly don't believe they would be competent enough to execute it properly.

This really leads me to my main point. There is an alarming amount of incompetence in NFL officiating, yet the league has done virtually nothing to address it. You could really say the same for every other sport where officials play a major role. And I get it -- it's tough for human beings to make judgment calls in real speed with freakish athletes running around them. It's not an enviable job by any means, and especially in the NFL, officials are put in a position to fail more often than not. There are too many rules, the rulebook is overly complicated and with the technology we have available, even the smallest mistake becomes obvious after enough slow-motion replays.

But the problem here is that the NFL puts up with this incompetence and does nothing to fix it. NFL officials have become household names over the years for their blatant blown calls, but nothing happens to them publicly. If an NFL player even wears the wrong-colored socks, he receives a fine. And those fines get even bigger when one player flying at a high speed hits another player flying at a high speed in the wrong part of the body because of a split-second decision or change in motion. The point is that players are fined or even suspended by the league for every little mistake they make, and if they don't perform at the level necessary, they will ultimately be cut by their team. But officials are allowed to keep their jobs despite racking up blown call after blown call over an extended period of time. The Pete Morellis, Jerome Bogers, Jeff Triplettes and Ed Hochulis of the world have ruined important NFL games for years, yet they're still in the exact same jobs.

JABEE

Kas might be crazy, but I think Detroit fans have a legitimate reason to protest the result of the game. They should be pissed off at the officials and the Lions. Stafford played like garbage in the second half, and the officials bailed out the Cowboys multiple times on their way to a comeback.

Kas should really be roasting Stafford.

eznark

Banned
Kas might be crazy, but I think Detroit fans have a legitimate reason to protest the result of the game. They should be pissed off at the officials and the Lions. Stafford played like garbage in the second half, and the officials bailed out the Cowboys multiple times on their way to a comeback.

I'd agree if they had scored more than 3 points, but as it is it's like the Fail Mary. The Lions and Packers didn't lose those games because of one call, they lost them because they played fucking terribly on offense.

We still left opportunities out there.
-Not going for it
-Shanked punt
-Letting them convert the 4th and 8

Sephzilla

I'd agree if they had scored more than 3 points, but as it is it's like the Fail Mary. The Lions and Packers didn't lose those games because of one call, they lost them because they played fucking terribly on offense.
The big difference though is that the Lions still had a chance to win after their botched ref call. Packers didnt.

JABEE

That's true. I couldn't believe that Detroit was unable to continue to pile points up on that Dallas's dreadful defense. Their secondary is almost as bad as ours and their front seven is worse.

jWILL253

Banned

Look at the final score of the game though.

It would be one thing if this were a 2-score game and Detroit blew it. But in a game with a 24-20 box score, it's not unreasonable to pinpoint the outcome of the game on one or two pivotal moments in the game, especially when one of those moments has a key role being played by the officiating.

I just don't see this as being that big of a call. We've seen touchy PI calls cost teams 50 yards that don't cause this much uproar. They still had a 4th and 1. Go for it (not some pansy fake go for it) and get the yard. It was 8:21 in the fourth. This wasn't on the last drive with no chance to recover. 8:21 is a ton of time left. They even got a gift in the 2 minute with the double fumble and did nothing with it.

Cowboys overcame their adversity and showed more aggressive calls with the two 4th down calls they made.

eznark

Banned

It would be one thing if this were a 2-score game and Detroit blew it. But in a game with a 24-20 box score, it's not unreasonable to pinpoint the outcome of the game on one or two pivotal moments in the game, especially when one of those moments has a key role being played by the officiating.

That's.....exactly what it was

They scored 3 points in the entire 2nd half. Detroit has no excuses, that "elite" defense let the cowboys score on them and that "elite" QB couldn't do jack shit against one of the worse defenses in the league. In the final drive he fumbled twice and was lucked they even got the first one back otherwise the game ends with two minutes to go.

Zeke

A fucking men

ShaneB

Go Chiefs.

Meh at the matchups remaining. Don't care about Pats/Ravens, Cowboys/Packers, nuke those from orbit. Panthers/Seahawks could be fun to watch, and Colts/Broncos could be a fun one.

Bitanator

That's true. I couldn't believe that Detroit was unable to continue to pile points up on that Dallas's dreadful defense. Their secondary is almost as bad as ours and their front seven is worse.

The thing is they don't stop fighting, they will squeeze every ounce of sweat out of their bodies to get a turnover, and this season we have been good at closing games. We have no definitive pass rush, but we are relentless. I'm confident Dallas can run on Green Bay, Murray ran hard today even though we were behind, we stay committed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ahahahaahahaha Ah. What a wonderful morning.

But seriously, the call was clearly bullshit, but calls like that happen all the time. What should be actually pissing the Kas' of the world off is how Dez got away with flagrant UC after the fact. I read the rule backwards and forwards and there is just no legal way they shouldn't have been penalized 15 yards for that.

JABEE

Lions will resign him, because they are an organization that rewards failure. They'll cripple their future with his contract, which is fine because this season was essentially their window.

Can they trade Calvin Johnson without their cap number going crazy?

Goddamn Lions fans outside of here

Sure, this is a rant, and im probably gonna say some shit ill question tomorrow, but FUCK IT!! That PI pick up was fucking ridiculous! Goodell and the NFL cant just brush this one off and not answer for it like they usually do. WE DESERVE AN EXPLANATION, OR AN ADMISSION OF GUILT!!!

23 years. Thats how long our fans, which buy clothing from the NFL shop, pay for tickets to NFL games, and tune in every fucking week of the season to boost their fucking ratings, have waited just to win a fucking playoff game. And as soon as we show that we are the better team and win a playoff game, THEY ROB US OF IT WITH SOME SHIT THAT NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE!!!

Why was the ref partying on Jerry Jones' party bus? If he was caught before the game, which he was, why was he immediately not removed of his position because of obvious conflict of interest?

I get it. Blow jobs are cool, and Jerry has plenty to pass around. THEN DONT BE A FUCKING REF!!!!

Im not a conspiritard, and you can search through my comment history if you want and see that Im usually the one who says not to blame the refs. Fuck it. We lost this game because of the refs. Fuck all the missed holding calls. That shit happens every game to our dline, we are used to it. You cant expect lineman to not hold Suh every play, or there wouldnt be any other QBs left in the game. But to pick a fucking flag up after already announcing the penalty, in Dallas, after partying with the team's owner, he needs to be investigated. Check his finances, his travel logs, everything. There is something fucked up going on, or he is a complete moron who needs to lose his stripes.

We dont deserve this. We have waited too long to see a team that is a legit playoff team, that can win playoff games, that could give us fans what we have been waiting for for so long. Fuck Cowboys fans and their whining about how long they have waited to be a playoff team. YOU WON THREE SUPERBOWLS IN THE 90'S!!!!!!! I REMEMBER BECAUSE WE BARELY MADE THE PLAYOFFS THEN WITH A BETTER RUNNINGBACK THAN THE GUY WHO GOT YOU THERE!!!

Call this a rant, call it emotions, call it what you want. I love my fucking team, my players, and I FUCKING LOVE HOUSE OF SPEARS SUH! We deserved to win this game, both as fans, and as the obvious better team. I will never forget this game, and that hurts me. We have 8 months of hell ahead of us to remember how we were fucked today. Dont pretend like you understand what it is like to be us (other teams fans.) Dont act like you know heart break. You dont. You have no idea.

One Pride motherfuckers. Fuck you Dallas. You dont deserve this.

cdyhybrid

But seriously, the call was clearly bullshit, but calls like that happen all the time. What should be actually pissing the Kas' of the world off is how Dez got away with flagrant UC after the fact. I read the rule backwards and forwards and there is just no legal way they shouldn't have been penalized 15 yards for that.

:kas should be pissed off that the QB he's been blowing for years played like absolute garbage, against a terrible defense, in one of the friendliest road stadiums in the league.

Fantomex

But Detroit still had the ball at the end with over 2 minutes to go and the 2 minute warning. Before that, there was a 4th and 1 that they failed to go for. Once you get into what ifs, you have to look at every single one as crazy as it sounds.

Narag

Thought I read that the officials are allowed to use some discretion like in the case of Dez.

Top Bottom