• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 17 |OT| - For the Division

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think padding your sack count against 3 terrible O-lines in the AFC South will get you the MVP, especially if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

MechDX

I don't think padding your sack count against 3 terrible O-lines in the AFC South will get you the MVP, especially if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Especially since the Jags shut him down last game and only allowed 3 sacks , 5 TFLS and numerous pressures.

So how is fantasy land doing in Jacksonville?

Bengals, Ravens, Steelers babies?

Not in my house. We teach hate. My youngest always asks who we like when the ticker goes by with the logos and scores.

"Do we like the orange helmets or tigers?" "Neither, we hate both of them"
"Do we like the pointy things on the head (Texans) or do we like the coin (titans)?" "Neither, but we do like 99 on the pointy things on the head team"

Greg

Not in my house. We teach hate. My youngest always asks who we like when the ticker goes by with the logos and scores.

"Do we like the orange helmets or tigers?" "Neither, we hate both of them"
"Do we like the pointy things on the head (Texans) or do we like the coin (titans)?" "Neither, but we do like 99 on the pointy things on the head team"
:jnc

FTF

Stafford is the only QB in the NFC that can take out Seattle.

You mean to dinner right?

I think Dallas has the best chance at Seattle. They're undefeated on the road and have won there already.

Also, please don't let any big Pats starters get hurt on Sunday. That's all I ask.

Then the list is pretty worthless.

more to the point, what it's measuring isn't WR play but how good the passing offense is when that WR is involved. So QB play + play calling + pass protection + ... on the subset of plays a WR was targeted.

It says nothing about whether Doug Baldwin is shit or not.

In my world efficiency is the only thing that matters. I guess we just different creatures. I rather work 2 hours and make $50 then work 4 hours to make $60. Just because it's more doesn't mean it's better. To me that is.

This is why I don't care about Luck/Stafford's/Brees yards. Because I'm the type of person that wants to get the most out of every throw. Basically I'm that guy that's the KDA whore in your fps.

bionic77

3 things matter for a receiver.

Understanding the offense, getting separation and catching the ball.

Baldwin can't get separation like an all pro. Seemingly none of the garbo Seattle receivers can. This is even more pathetic when you remeber they have a top 5 RB that defenses are focusing on.

MechDX

MVP is awarded for production over multiple seasons now? New twist

He would achieve a feat this season that has never been done before.

Look, I'll admit it will probably go to Rodgers because he is a damn QB AND until they rename it Overall player of the Year it will almost always go to a QB. If you are going to use the argument: "remove said player from the team and where are they?" then it should go to Andrew Luck hands down. Remove Luck from the Colts and they win two games.

In my world efficiency is the only thing that matters. I guess we just different creatures. I rather work 2 hours and make $50 then work 4 hours to make $60. Just because it's more doesn't mean it's better. To me that is.

This is why I don't care about Luck/Stafford's/Brees yards. Because I'm the type of person that wants to get the most out of every throw. Basically I'm that guy that's the KDA whore in your fps.

Translation: I only care about stats that favor my favorite players.

FTF

No one was really transcendent this year. Look it up.

But it is disgusting how some old lazy media types will put Brady on the list of people to be considered.

Because leading a team to the one seed and possibly best record in the NFL should get you no consideration right? The hate runs so deep with you.

Also, it'll probably be Rodgers. If somehow Houston sneaks into the playoffs at 9-7 sure, give it to Watt just to mix things up.

LycanXIII

Was expected, but it sucks to know that Eifert isn't coming back this season. At least we had the hope that he would return and replace Gresham, but that's gone now.

Look, I'll admit it will probably go to Rodgers because he is a damn QB AND until they rename it Overall player of the Year it will almost always go to a QB. If you are going to use the argument: "remove said player from the team and where are they?" then it should go to Andrew Luck hands down. Remove Luck from the Colts and they win two games.

idk about 2 games, but the Texans sure have a lot less wins than they do if they didn't have Watt

Of course, by that same token the Packers probably get one win at best without Rodgers, so idk. Tough call, there are at least 4 people who could win MVP and it wouldn't be unbelievable because they each deserve it (those 3 and Romo)

brentech

Look, I'll admit it will probably go to Rodgers because he is a damn QB AND until they rename it Overall player of the Year it will almost always go to a QB
That's not the problem he faces though. It's "most valuable player"

How many wins did his he lead them to last year?
If they called it best player, he'd probably win. It's hard to be most valuable player in an entire league when you only get to the ball back and your offense can't score with it. How much value does that add?
What did that achieve, like 2 wins last year?

It's the state of the league right now. It'll probably go back to a run priority eventually(maybe). And if that happens it opens up the window to backs and defensive players again.

I don't even disagree with how amazing an athlete and player he is. But most valuable player has generally meant what it says.
Renaming it to overall player would probably benefit him. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

MechDX

That's not the problem he faces though. It's "most valuable player"

How many wins did his he lead them to last year?
If they called it best player, he'd probably win. It's hard to be most valuable player in an entire league when you only get to the ball back and your offense can't score with it. How much value does that add?
What did that achieve, like 2 wins last year?

It's the state of the league right now. It'll probably go back to a run priority eventually(maybe). And if that happens it opens up the window to backs and defensive players again.

I don't even disagree with how amazing an athlete and player he is. But most valuable player has generally meant what it says.

So then you agree Andrew Luck should be the MVP?

Rodgers has a running game......Luck doesn't
Rodgers has multiple threats at WR and TE......Luck has Ty Hilton
Rodgers has something resembling a defense......Luck has, well, none really
Rodgers has a decent o line.....Luck runs for his life constantly

Dragon

Banned

You're a fan. If some Seahawk was on another list you'd change your tune. Just the way it is.

Nice to see we have a shared love for Luck. He's pretty cool, huh?

brentech

Maybe. But over the years if you look at how it was awarded, it's not likely. And that's all I'm saying.

Again, not even saying it would be wrong for Watt to win. It's just what the award is and how they have awarded it. It's been years since a defender won it, and the game was just played a different way then.

MechDX

Maybe. But over the years if you look at how it was awarded, it's not likely. And that's all I'm saying.

Again, not even saying it would be wrong for Watt to win. It's just what the award is and how they have awarded it. It's been years since a defender won it, and the game was just played a different way then.

But giving it to Rodgers over Luck you are giving it the best player at QB and not to the "MVP who 99% of the time has to be a QB" according to these so called rules, guidelines whatever you call them. SO next year when a QB throws for the now typical gazillion yards and 27 TD's and he is automatically given the MVP?

As for the bolded: So what Watt does now in an era where the QB is king and you cant even breath on them without a flag is even MORE impressive.

looking for a way to justify wussles shortcomings. i like it!

Bread

Banned
But giving it to Rodgers over Luck you are giving it the best player at QB and not to the "MVP who 99% of the time has to be a QB" according to these so called rules, guidelines whatever you call them. SO next year when a QB throws for the now typical gazillion yards and 27 TD's and he is automatically given the MVP?

As for the bolded: So what Watt does now in an era where the QB is king and you cant even breath on them without a flag is even MORE impressive.
mech what the fuck are you talking about

But giving it to Rodgers over Luck you are giving it the best player at QB and not to the "MVP who 99% of the time has to be a QB" according to these so called rules, guidelines whatever you call them.
Best player at the most important position... sounds like value to me!

I look at it like this:

Watt: 10/10 at his position, overall impact for DL = 6.
Rodgers: 9.5/10 at his position, overall impact for QB = 10
Luck: 8/10 at his position, overall impact for QB = 10.

The "overall impact" is a modifier that accounts for how important a single position is in today's NFL.

Watt: 10 x 6 = 60
Rodgers: 9.5 x 10 = 95
Luck: 8 x 10 = 80

Rodgers > Luck > Watt

The exact numbers are arbitrary but I think this is a good way to look at what MVP actually means. Even if you say a DL can have an 8/10 impact relative to other positions Watt comes up short of Rodgers. It's just the nature of the game. No need to rename the award because it is exactly what the name says it is.

brentech

I think you highly misunderstand me as if I'm arguing for the award to go to someone instead of my real argument of what's likely to happen because of what the award is and it's history.

I disagree with you in that you seem to think it's the 'best player' award. But they have categories for that.

MVP usually goes to the guy that most effected the game for his team in the league. Not the best player, the most valuable player. It's often a toss up between QBs because they have the most impact on the game right now.

I sincerely apologize for trying to clear that up.
Whatever happens will happen and I don't really give a shit. You just don't seem to even want to try to grasp a really basic terminology.

Edit: TDR gave a good expample. As if it should be needed.

MechDX

Burden of proof lies on the one making the claim, Mr. McDonald.

I'm using the arguement that keeps getting mentioned. If you swap Rodgers and Watt the Packers are a 6 win team and the Texans are a 12 win team.

Remove Luck and the Colts are a two/four win team.

I disagree with you in that you seem to think it's the 'best player' award. But they have categories for that.

MVP usually goes to the guy that most effected the game for his team in the league. Not the best player, the most valuable player. It's often a toss up between QBs because they have the most impact on the game right now.

Once again: how is Rodgers more valuable than Luck?

I'm using the arguement that keeps getting mentioned. If you swap Rodgers and Watt the Packers are a 6 win team and the Texans are a 12 win team.

If you swap Luck and Rodgers the Colts are likely just as good, maybe win one or two more.

Give it to Rodgers.

brentech

So you swap high level players and a team can still win some games.

You just remove a player and things are worse overall. WHO WOULD HAVE FUCKING GUESSED!?

You keep asking me how is rodgers more valuable. At no point have I, myself, made that arguement because that has nothing to do with anything I've been taking about.

God damn you are basically kas at this point. Like conversing with a doorknob.

MechDX

Im honestly surprised Kas hasn't come in here and written a 5000 word essay on why Matt Stafford is the MVP of the forever.

tumblr_m385k8SQLK1qzdf0go1_500.gif

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And there is the elephant in the room when discussing Luck as the MVP. That elephant being that statistically, he's only top of the league in TD passes. 22nd in accuracy, 11th in passer rating, 3rd in yards. 4th most INTs in the league.

Stats aren't everything, but they are somewhat indicative of play. Rodgers and Romo are neck and neck for best (statistically) in the league right now.

MechDX

And there is the elephant in the room when discussing Luck as the MVP. That elephant being that statistically, he's only top of the league in TD passes. 22nd in accuracy, 11th in passer rating, 3rd in yards. 4th most INTs in the league.

Stats aren't everything, but they are somewhat indicative of play. Rodgers and Romo are neck and neck for best (statistically) in the league right now.

#RomoForMVP

#KillMe

Top Bottom