• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is like those people who argue that the First Amendment guarantees them free speech to say whatever they like.

Yes, technically (and STUPIDLY), parents in America are allowed to perform corporal punishment on their children. Research proves it is 100% ineffective. Common sense shows that the most helpless, defenseless portion of our population shouldn't be the only one we're allowed to hit. If Peterson does that same action to a member of the Vikings' staff, he's out of his job and likely in prison. It's shameful.

So even if he is not found guilty in court, he has been found guilty in the court of public opinion. Sponsors are pulling out already from the team. Nobody is going to sign him for a future endorsement deal. The Vikings and NFL will go full damage control mode. His future is in jeopardy. Even if he doesn't face criminal charges, his reputation and wallet are in trouble. This isn't over for him, and I will be shocked if he's playing on Sunday.

I'm sure the same was said about Kobe Bryant back in 2003

jakncoke

Banned
So are you saying a child should never get a whopping if he's acting up? Not even a with a belt?

There is a growing movement of people that want it banned that parents cant even use there hands on the bottom. Fully disagree with it, but thats where we are at in society.

xnipx

I understand not wanting to physically punish YOUR kids. But to try and push certain ideals onto the rest of the population is absurd. Yes Peterson crossed the line from discipline to abuse. But every parent in this country has a right to raise THEIR kids as they please as long as they don't cross that line.

Until physical discipline is against the law it should be treated as a choice each parent makes, like not believing in vaccines or home schooling. And to judge parents who make that choice because you raised your kids differently is dumb. You're no better than the people saying "I got beat as a kid and look how I turned out".

eznark

Banned
I understand not wanting to physically punish YOUR kids. But to try and push certain ideals onto the rest of the population is absurd. Yes Peterson crossed the line from discipline to abuse. But every parent in this country has a right to raise THEIR kids as they please as long as they don't cross that line.

Until physical discipline is against the law it should be treated as a choice each parent makes, like not believing in vaccines or home schooling. And to judge parents who make that choice because you raised your kids differently is dumb. You're no better than the people saying "I got beat as a kid and look how I turned out".

The law is a pretty shitty moral compass.

Bread

Banned

Saying "as long as they don't cross that line" is bullshit. Why don't you say what that line is for us?

Also, the fact that you put corporal punishment along the same lines as home schooling and not believing in vaccines speaks volumes.

Greg

is this real life

Talon

Parents not giving their kids vaccines are directly harming the childs' peers.

Fucking herd immunity, assholes!

Lots of people are saying this, yes.

Not sure if I agree with it, but I don't have kids so I guess it doesn't matter!

I am absolutely saying this, yes.
Wow just unbelievable. Yeah AP went overboard there are parents out there who know how to properly discipline their kids. I got whopped growing up my parents never made me bleed the worst I had was some light marks but nothing major. I don't know man people are just....whatever I just disagree

Bread

Banned
Wow just unbelievable. Yeah AP went overboard there are parents out there who know how to properly discipline their kids. I got whopped growing up my parents never made me bleed the worst I had was some light marks but nothing major. I don't know man people are just....whatever I just disagree
It's unbelievable that I don't think kids should be beaten for being kids!? Kids don't know any better, beating them isn't helping.

Jesus Christ

What does a weapon do that a hand doesn't except make the action more about violence and pain than discipline? The fuck is wrong with you?

I live in a real world where I got whopped when I acted up.

It's unbelievable that I don't think kids should be beaten for being kids!? Kids don't know any better, beating them isn't helping.
It's not talking about the ones being beaten. Those are the ones getting hit with fist, pans or whatever hard object that can do serious damage to a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom