• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the email from the owner to Rice gets out to ESPN and suddenly you have sources basically saying Harbaugh wanted Rice released before all this shit got out

Sounds like Harbaugh is covering his own butt.

It was all part of the same Outside the Lines report. The email news wasn't broken 20 minutes before the Harbaugh news, they were broken and posted at the same time.

Fox318

So you're telling me this guy was involved in some bad shit?

lovebirds.gif

Inconceivable.

The ravens knew.

He went on TV and yet he knew.

This is insane

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure every stand-up coach that wanted a player cut but didn't get his wish quit on the spot.

Assuming that report of him wanted Rice cut is true, of course.

Nah they probably go out and give a big press conference saying how great a guy he is and how he stands by him 100%.

He looks like he would toss you in a trunk break your legs then toss you in a shallow grave mafia style.

He looks like a mobster, but not even the cool Goodfellas style mobsters. He looks like the kind of mobster that lives in Buffalo, NY and launders his money through a furniture store business.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gotta give Harbaugh some respect for wanting to immediately cut Rice, after the first video. The owner and GM look even more trash-tier now, which didn't seem possible.

cdyhybrid

Nah they probably go out and give a big press conference saying how great a guy he is and how he stands by him 100%.

Following the boss' orders. /shrug

Obviously would have been impressive if he quit on the spot if he felt that strongly about it, but he's not the first NFL coach to stick to the company message and won't be the last.

LevelNth

Banned
I love how no news story has bothered ever focusing on how in the world Ray Rice is not in jail. Who should or shouldn't be allowed to fucking play football seems much more important to society. Oh how sanctimonious.

MechDX

I love how no news story has bothered ever focusing on how in the world Ray Rice is not in jail. Who should or shouldn't be allowed to fucking play football seems much more important to society. Oh how sanctimonious.

Wouldn't that require his wife pressing charges?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Just proves how sadly fixated we as a society are on celebrities, but only as far as it affects what they do for a living.

Look at the things maniacs like Russel Crowe and Mel Gibson do, yet the only talk is about how it will affect their movie careers.

eznark

Banned
Following the boss' orders. /shrug

Obviously would have been impressive if he quit on the spot if he felt that strongly about it, but he's not the first NFL coach to stick to the company message and won't be the last.

Yeah its usually way easier to be a coward. Guess we should give him props!

zychi

Banned

The law gives him the option to do the treatment program. It's how the law is setup. You can't change the law as fast as you can change an NFL suspension.

Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt 1m
Steve Bisciotti offered Ray Rice a job the day he cut him for punching his wife's lights out. This is how Ray Lewis gets a statue. #Ravens

Burn the organization down

zychi said:
The law gives him the option to do the treatment program. It's how the law is setup. You can't change the law as fast as you can change an NFL suspension.

Deal offered to Rice is very rarely offered

Only 70 of the more than 15,000 domestic violence assault cases adjudicated from 2010 to 2013 in New Jersey's Superior Court were admitted into the pretrial intervention program, according to records obtained by The Associated Press. The program, known as PTI, allows suspects to avoid incarceration and keep their records clean if they meet agreed-upon requirements.

Begs the question of preferential treatment.

LevelNth

Banned
Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt 1m
Steve Bisciotti offered Ray Rice a job the day he cut him for punching his wife's lights out. This is how Ray Lewis gets a statue. #Ravens

Burn the organization down

Deal offered to Rice is very rarely offered

One, single solitary news story about this is more important to cover than the sum of everything else covered so far.

But idiotic mob justice makes for better TV!

Colasante

Like who?

I don't understand what you're arguing. There were four men in a position of power within the Ravens organization. Only one of the men wanted a wife abuser immediately cut and the three other men overruled him. I do think that's worthy of the slightest amount of praise.

Harbaugh was forced to deliver the press conference and publicly support Rice. He lied then and you could call him a hypocrite, but the alternative is for him to quit his million dollar paying dream job. Maybe I'm not bring harsh enough on him for publicly supporting Rice but in the grand scheme of this story and the calculated covering up of a domestic violence incident, I'm willing to offer praise to the one person who would have done the right thing and immediately tried to resolve the issue if he was able to.

MechDX

I don't understand what you're arguing. There were four men in a position of power within the Ravens organization. Only one of the men wanted a wife abuser immediately cut and the three other men overruled him. I do think that's worthy of the slightest amount of praise.

Harbaugh was forced to deliver the press conference and publicly support Rice. He lied then and you could call him a hypocrite, but the alternative is for him to quit his million dollar paying dream job. Maybe I'm not bring harsh enough on him for publicly supporting Rice but in the grand scheme of this story and the calculated covering up of a domestic violence incident, I'm willing to offer praise to the one person who would have done the right thing and immediately tried to resolve the issue if he was able to.

If Harbaugh would have walked away I could pretty much GUARANTEE he would be offered another million dollar job almost immediately.

BigAT

url=http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/16/program-that-accepted-rice-rare-in-domestic-cases/15704943/]Deal offered to Rice is very rarely offered[/url]

I'm not saying he wasn't offered preferential treatment based on his status, but after talking to a couple of friends that are lawyers in NJ that report is apparently bullshit. There's the obvious flaws (they count every single domestic abuse arrest, even though that program would obviously never be offered to a repeat offender) and the not so obvious ones (they do it for the entire state of New Jersey, when that PTI program may only be offered in the county Rice was arrested in and not others in the state).

eznark

Banned
Anyone that wanted a roster change but couldn't get it because the GM overruled them...so every coach that wasn't a GM.

The cowardice is going out and saying he stands 100% behind a guy who beat the fuck out of his girlfriend.

Outside of his brother, I can't think of anyone.

He doesn't have to quit. Just refuse to make the statement. Worst case scenario he is fired and gets paid fully while also getting to explain why he was fired. Its a no lose position.

I think his wanting Rice cut is probably bullshit, his agent just places rumors well.

cdyhybrid

The cowardice is going out and saying he stands 100% behind a guy who beat the fuck out of his girlfriend.

Outside of his brother, I can't think of anyone.

Not saying he's an angel, but I'm not going to lump him in with the owner, etc. who actually had the power to make the call with respect to Rice's presence on the roster.

Just a shitty situation all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom