• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Bowser

Actually did a nice job picking up the blitz. Not sure why Powder Puff was celebrating. He blew up the running back allowing Cutler to escape the pressure.

Good job, Powder Puff.

I noticed you didn't seem to finish your sentence.

"He blew up the running back allowing Cutler to escape the pressure into the waiting arms of the DE, Wes Horton."

Oh, there we go.

Hunter S.

I do not know if I am happy Montee Ball is out because new guys can step up. Ball has been really non-effective and made the Broncos running game boring.

Greg

:jnc good or bad?

Haven't tried it yet and am curious on impressions. The main thread seems to be pretty positive about it and I put more weight into that than reviews.
It's just a no bullshit racer so far, and I love it - great driving model, really fast load times, no pointless events. I will say the beginning of the game doesn't do it justice at all though, and I can't see it selling people who aren't racing fans in the first place. The first area is really weak graphically unless the conditions are right (and they aren't), and that first group of cars doesn't show off how well they capture sense of speed.

I can see people thinking it's light on content if your idea of being done with a racing game is completing all the events (I'm 88/225 of the tour 'challenges' already after 4 hours), or if you are interested in things like collecting vans in 12 different colors, but everything is in place for it to be a fantastic leaderboard type game which is exactly what I wanted.

eznark

Banned
Wife just sent me this, she was getting my daughter dressed and my son wandered into my office. She found him this way:

2014-10-07.jpg

That's why my MMR is so low.

gutshot

Mike Tanier of the Bleacher Report looks at teams that have gotten lucky so far this year and may be worse than their record indicates:

1. Carolina Panthers: An injury-riddled team getting by with toughness and some fluky plays, the Panthers face the Bengals (at Cincy), Packers (at Lambeau), Seahawks, Saints and Eagles in the next five weeks.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers are surviving on tight wins against bad opponents. After a trip to Cleveland (which is no longer a cakewalk), a home stand against the Texans, Colts and Ravens will sort out the AFC also-rans. Right now, the Steelers look like they belong at the back of that pack.

3. Buffalo Bills: The most fortunate of the 3-2 teams by many measures, the Bills get the Vikings and Jets after hosting the Patriots. They could linger above .500 for a while, but it will not last.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles have scored seven return touchdowns this year. That’s not a sustainable victory model. The Giants, Cardinals in Arizona, Texans in Houston and Packers at Lambeau loom on the horizon.

5. Houston Texans: Like the Eagles, the Texans get more mileage out of defensive returns and blocked kicks than a team can count on for the long haul. The Texans have a favorable overall schedule, but with no quarterback and an offense that struggles to reach 17 points, upcoming meetings with the Colts, Steelers and Eagles look tough. For many teams on this list, staying above .500 means beating up on each other.

6. New York Giants: The Giants have not caught too many obvious breaks to start the season, but the upcoming schedule offers little relief: at Philly, at Dallas, a bye and then Colts-Seahawks-49ers. Escaping that gauntlet with a .500 record would be a feat.

Tamanon

Banned
I always thought TNF was NFL Network, not CBS? Is that new?

I guess I haven't been paying attention to logos and such this year, and it's on "sports net" here in Canada which re-broadcasts what NFL network or CBS had, with Canadian commercials.

This year it's on both networks. Although I think it's only the first half of the season.

It's just a no bullshit racer so far, and I love it - great driving model, really fast load times, no pointless events. I will say the beginning of the game doesn't do it justice at all though, and I can't see it selling people who aren't racing fans in the first place. The first area is really weak graphically unless the conditions are right (and they aren't), and that first group of cars doesn't show off how well they capture sense of speed.

I can see people thinking it's light on content if your idea of being done with a racing game is completing all the events (I'm 88/225 of the tour 'challenges' already after 4 hours), or if you are interested in things like collecting vans in 12 different colors, but everything is in place for it to be a fantastic leaderboard type game which is exactly what I wanted.
Not generally a big racing game type of guy but if the driving model is as good as folks are saying I might get caught up in it. PGR (specifically PGR4) is like the god king of racers for me and has been for a very long time. Driveclub being consistently compared to it sparked my interest. How does it hold up in that regard?

eznark

Banned
Well, it also doesn't count because I already bought it.

Are you telling me this is Golf Club but for cars? Because now I am even more excited.

Bowser

Mike Tanier of the Bleacher Report looks at teams that have gotten lucky so far this year and may be worse than their record indicates:

The only reason teams like the Falcons and Saints aren't in that list is because they don't have winning records! Fact of the matter is both the Falcons and Saints will face those types of tough slates as well:

Falcons
vs CHI
@ BAL
vs DET
@ TB
@ CAR

Matty Ice is ice cold on the road this season - 0-3, 5 TDs, 6 INTs, 74 QB rating. Wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons lose all those road games and slip up vs. the Lions either.

Saints following their bye:
@ DET
vs GB
@ CAR
vs SF
vs CIN

Saints also have a negative point differential, are trash on the road, and aren't really that good at home anymore (they've won 9 straight, but the last 3 or 4 were legitimate dog fights - SF last season, MIN win was lackluster, probably should have lost to Bucs).

All Carolina needs to do is go 2-3 in the next 5 (we get NO on a short week at home on TNF btw), come out 5-5, and then we give ourselves a chance to win the division by getting to 9-7 with games against the Bucs, Falcons, and Browns at home and winnable games vs Philly and Minnesota on the road.

The NFC South is a trash division. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king! I'm not giving up hope!

2. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers are surviving on tight wins against bad opponents. After a trip to Cleveland (which is no longer a cakewalk), a home stand against the Texans, Colts and Ravens will sort out the AFC also-rans. Right now, the Steelers look like they belong at the back of that pack.

Admittedly, barely beating the Jags was a tight win against a bad opponent. However, they opened with a victory against Cleveland which he himself then says is no longer a cakewalk and they stomped the Panthers. And the Texans, Colts and Ravens all have just as many question marks as the Steelers. I don't see that stretch sorting anything out at all. Reality is this, the AFC blows outside of the Broncs...and...I guess the Chargers. But I will always have trouble in believing the Chargers are for real.

Cube

Smash is making me consider a Wii U.

I actually buckled and tried to order one from Nintendo's website. There was a back end issue and I had to call them, they placed another order. There was another issue and they told me that even though the orders didn't go through, it would still put a hold on my account (for about $450, theEcost of 2 Wii Us and shipping)

I wound up not trying again, and took it took it as the universe telling me not to get mine.

The only reasons teams like the Falcons and Saints aren't in that list is because they don't have winning records! Fact of the matter is both the Falcons and Saints will face those types of tough slates as well:

Falcons
vs CHI
@ BAL
vs DET
@ TB
@ CAR

Matty Ice is ice cold on the road this season - 0-3, 5 TDs, 6 INTs, 74 QB rating. Wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons lose all those road games and slip up vs. the Lions either.

Saints following their bye:
@ DET
vs GB
@ CAR
vs SF
vs CIN

Saints also have a negative point differential, are trash on the road, and aren't really that good at home anymore (they've won 9 straight, but the last 3 or 4 were legitimate dog fights - SF last season, MIN win was lackluster, probably should have lost to Bucs).

All Carolina needs to do is go 2-3 in the next 5 (we get NO on a short week at home on TNF btw), come out 5-5, and then we give ourselves a chance to win the division by getting to 9-7 with games against the Bucs, Falcons, and Browns at home and winnable games vs Philly and Minnesota on the road.

I'm not giving up hope!
Also note that game is a home game for them but played in London and outdoors.

jakncoke

Banned
Is baltimorelarry sleeping on the job or my random.org lottery system fall completely on its face like 346 lb west virginian tripping over the tire in his driveway on route to fuck his sister

BigAT

6. New York Giants: The Giants have not caught too many obvious breaks to start the season, but the upcoming schedule offers little relief: at Philly, at Dallas, a bye and then Colts-Seahawks-49ers. Escaping that gauntlet with a .500 record would be a feat.

Yes Bleacher Report writer, having a .500 record in a series of 5 games WOULD be an incredible feat.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
He's right. Steelers aren't doing anything great. Offense is underachieving (as usual) defense is middling to poor, and to top it off the team is undisciplined as hell.

Steelers need to figure out what their identity is or Tomlin's going to have to unleash hell again.

So I guess the real question for the Steelers at some point becomes do you trade Ben while you can still get a bounty of draft picks for him?

bionic77

So I guess the real question for the Steelers at some point becomes do you trade Ben while you can still get a bounty of draft picks for him?
Not at that point yet.

We could be good next year if we add another receiver, get some depth and our young guys on D pan out.

Top Bottom