• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sounds like Driveclub is getting the Destiny treatment. I haven't tried Driveclub yet though.

Like Future said, I usually listen to GAF's opinion more in aggregate.

Tamanon

Banned
Sounds like Driveclub is getting the Destiny treatment. I haven't tried Driveclub yet though.

If Driveclub is as good of a "5/10" game as Destiny is, that'd be a pretty fun driving game if I cared about them.

Bowser

Barnwell doesn't think Idzik should be blamed and that he's acting rationally: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-york-jets-running-backs/

Takeaway:

The truth for Idzik and the Jets right now is that it doesn’t matter what they do elsewhere in terms of winning now without a quarterback. They’re bad enough at that position that the other moves they make are just window dressing — a series of short-term decisions and drafted lottery tickets to set them up for that moment when they actually have the quarterback they need to succeed. That’s not what Rex Ryan or Jets fans want to hear, but it’s the reality of where they’re at in the NFL. Idzik still has to execute that plan, and it won’t matter until he finds that quarterback, but he’s on the right track.

As for Ryan and the Jets? Expectations were likely too high coming into the season. The Jets were 8-8 last year, but they were outscored by 97 points, which is the point differential of a 5.4-win team. That win-loss record included an unsustainable 5-1 performance in games decided by a touchdown or less, including two miraculous wins driven by unlikely late-game penalties on the Buccaneers and Patriots. The Jets already had two seven-point losses and an eight-point loss on their résumé this year before Sunday’s blowout. If they had enjoyed just an average amount of luck in close games last year and gone 5-11, Ryan probably would have been fired. Now, regardless of what Idzik does, Ryan will probably suffer that fate.

Fox318

Only way Idzik is gonna get a QB is if he trades two picks for a QB like Cam who will probably get a franchise tag next year.

Tamanon

Banned
http://deadspin.com/according-to-the-nfl-nfl-security-is-incompetent-1643195208

Even if we accept the NFL's version of events at face value, though, it's incredible how half-assed their attempts to find out information were. The NFL's story is that they:

1. Were told to file an open records request for information, and subsequently neglected to do so
2. Called somebody up, and after they couldn't reach the person one time, stopped trying
3. Had a conversation with some cops who weren't involved in the investigation
4. Did nothing for four months, before asking a court official for information and getting nothing

And that's it. That's the NFL's story! The NFL has decided that their only possible defense is gross incompetence, and they're doing everything possible to push that narrative. If the league is telling the truth, they're saying they put in less work trying to find out information than I put in writing up this post.

Fox318

Cam's pouting and NY media would be a match made in heaven.

NY media is another reason why no QB will succeed.

Jets fans have lost their patience after being told to wait year after year while watching the Giants win Super Bowls left and right.

When you come here as a jet player you have a venomous media ready to make their living by burring you alive.

Eli never got this much heat when he took over from Kurt Warner.

Bowser

Jets fans have lost their patience after being told to wait year after year while watching the Giants win Super Bowls left and right.

When you come here as a jet player you have a venomous media ready to make their living by burring you alive.

C'mon dude. You don't really believe that. Media is media, they'll rip a guy when he sucks and be on all on his dick when he's good. Find a talented QB and it won't matter.

Wrayfield

Such a tired narrative. Kinda like the Phil Rivers "hothead douche choker" narrative.

What I mean is, everything is under an even bigger microscope in NY. If you think it's a tired narrative, imagine he played for the Jets. You wouldn't hear the end of "his attitude is bad", etc.

Bowser

What I mean is, everything is under an even bigger microscope in NY. If you think it's a tired narrative, imagine he played for the Jets. You wouldn't hear the end of "his attitude is bad", etc.

That would be true if Cam was drafted in NY and acted the way he did his first two seasons in Carolina, yes. He hasn't been the mopey guy though, even when we've lost big the two weeks prior to this past week. He's matured pretty well in terms of keeping his emotions in check.

Fox318

Y'all ain't gettin' Cam bruh.

Such a tired narrative. Kinda like the Phil Rivers "hothead douche choker" narrative.

Richardson is still the teams owner right?

There is always a chance he will want to sign Demarco Murray for max money.

C'mon dude. You don't really believe that. Media is media, they'll rip a guy when he sucks and be on all on his dick when he's good. Find a talented QB and it won't matter.

Its not the main thing but it certainly never helps.

The Jets get booed more at home than on the road.

I don't know how Jets fans put up with Manish Mehta though for real.

Bowser

Richardson is still the teams owner right?

There is always a chance he will want to sign Demarco Murray for max money.

Nah we fired Hurney two seasons ago. Gettleman don't give a fuck about RBs. Shit, he cut Steve Smith and told him he was washed up to his face apparently, he won't hesitate to cut DeAngelo and Stewart the moment it's cap feasible (most likely this offseason for DeAngelo, next offseason for Stewart).

Fox318 said:
Its not the main thing but it certainly never helps.

The Jets get booed more at home than on the road.

That's cause the product sucks (which does fall on the GM and owner, yes). I'd expect a team that looks like it doesn't know how to execute a forward pass to get booed at home Hell, look at the Cowboys - they're 4-1 and Romo had to use a silent count at home because they can't get even get their own fans into the stadium. At least Jets fans are passionate and actually show up.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
massive hold on that wussle play but that's par for the course in this game. it's part of the reason why i am starting to become less interested in the league. you have that horse shit call against the seahawks earlier, the refs call offensive holding if they feel like it, they call holding on defense if they feel like it... league is just trash
oh, i thought it was cause your 49ers have a shit quarterback and cant win the big game.

Dick Sherman back at it:

Pierre pulled Dick's hair multiple times last night, he must be jealous of those sweet flowing locks, and I mean I can't blame him!!
too bad, NFL says you can pull dudes dreads.

this is still a thing?

gutshot

So many Harbaugh avatars on this page.

Can someone make me one out of my old Nick Foles avatar? Sported this avatar all last year and Foles had a MVP-like season. Switched it up this year and now he sucks. Coincidence? I think not.

RYIBZrP.jpg

eznark

Banned
I bought it yesterday just so I could preload it. I'm so smart. Didn't realize it didn't unlock til 3 am. I'm so dumb.

Played one race before leaving the house. Not as pretty as I expected. Drives fine. Feels slow. Probably because it as the tutorial race or whatever.

I'm enthused by the bad review from GameSpot though because, generally speaking, VanOrd is an idiot.

Dragon

Banned

There's a free gimped version so I'm going to try it. I tend to agree with Eurogamer most of the time and their review is not flattering.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm enthused by the bad review from GameSpot though because, generally speaking, VanOrd is an idiot.
Game reviews in general today are laughably bad. My favorite new trend that I see so often are these little blurbs detailing just exactly what the reviewer did in the game, as if writing that as well somehow makes it more 'real' and 'that it actually happened' than the damn review itself.

Ooooh, you got to Level 23?? Well NOW I can trust you!

eznark

Banned
Game reviews in general today are laughably bad. My favorite new trend that I see so often are these little blurbs detailing just exactly what the reviewer did in the game, as if writing that as well somehow makes it more 'real' and 'that it actually happened' than the damn review itself.

Ooooh, you got to Level 23?? Well NOW I can trust you!

I actually do like when they say how much time they've put into it, that's useful to me.

I actually prefer the old days of reviews treating games more as consumer products. Should you buy this? Yes/No. Instead of the "well this game didn't speak to me as an adult hipster virgin making $50k a year and living with three other adult hipster virgins in a 1500 square foot hovel in San Francisco." Ok Arthur, I don't give a fuck.

Top Bottom