• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

The game is fine though.. The game is changing though in ways where we won't like. It will probably become Basketball on turf. It is what it is and what else can you do.

Everyone shat themselves when Knute Rockne came up with the forward pass and said football is dead (which it obviously isn't). It will be fine long after we are dead.
Watch less is what I would probably do. But realistically, I think the NFL will start to fix its problems (very slowly though). Hard to predict what happens to college given the player salary issue looming over the whole thing.

"The game is fine" doesn't fly. Quality of play is something that has to be managed, look at the NBA over the last 20 years for an example.

Watch less is what I would probably do. But realistically, I think the NFL will start to fix its problems (very slowly though). Hard to predict what happens to college given the player salary issue looming over the whole thing.

"The game is fine" doesn't fly. Quality of play is something that has to be managed, look at the NBA over the last 20 years for an example.

It is when the NFL is making billions under the moronic leadership of Goodell. So arguably most find it to be fine. I mean by what measure can we say it isn't fine?

Ratings are still high
Owners are flush with cash.
We had performers trying to buy a spot in the halftime show in the Super Bowl and cities lining up to fulfill asinine requirements to even host the damn event.

Quality should be managed yes, but if we are expecting/hoping it to go back to Steel Curtain, three yards and a cloud of dust low score games. We aren't. The paying issue will become more of an issue in college. It won't happen overnight though. It will happen with the death of the NCAA

Quality of play will increase when teams stop recycling the same 15 burnout coaches every season.

I actually think the age of the retread in the NFL is over.

Look at all the recent coaching hires (like last three years)

Arians, Quinn, Pettine, BOB, Bradley, Zimmer, Bowles, McCoy, Tomsula, Gruden, and the Chipster all got their first jobs.

Compared to only Fox, Del Rio, Kubiak, and Ryan as "retread" coaches

Striker

Their ratings are higher than they were ten years ago. Stars like Peypey and Tebow bring in the casuals. The brand hasn't been any hotter. It'll be at least another ten before the damage starts taking place - if it even does.

Sanjuro

...you might be on to something.

Time to bring back Original Homer!

image.php

His boy is a box! A BOXXXXXXXXXXX.

OqnrH6D.gif

This goes back to the discussion from a few days ago, but I think it starts with pulling back the offensive-friendly rule changes. Obviously the league isn't going to go back to allowing it to be open season on QBs, but stuff with illegal contact and DPI gets stupid during the regular season. I'd let DBs and LBs have more free reign in the defensive backfield. Successful passing offenses tilt the field in weird ways (from a strategic perspective), devaluing the field position game and the run game in one fell swoop. The game would be helped by re-valuing those things.

The other obvious idea is that the unspoken "one set of rules for the regular season, one for the playoffs" is bad for the game. I like the "playoff rules" -- where they allow guys to grab and hold (both on the offensive line and in the defensive backfield) and in general swallow the whistle -- quite a bit. They go a long way towards tilting the game back towards balanced teams. But when nobody's played by those rules for a 16 game season, we're in this weird situation where the game you play in the regular season isn't the same game as you crown your champion with. The rules ought to be enforced the same way in the regular season and in the playoffs. (I'd prefer the "playoff rules" all the time)

It is when the NFL is making billions under the moronic leadership of Goodell. So arguably most find it to be fine. I mean by what measure can we say it isn't fine?

Ratings are still high
Owners are flush with cash.
We had performers trying to buy a spot in the halftime show in the Super Bowl and cities lining up to fulfill asinine requirements to even host the damn event.

Quality should be managed yes, but if we are expecting/hoping it to go back to Steel Curtain, three yards and a cloud of dust low score games. We aren't. The paying issue will become more of an issue in college. It won't happen overnight though. It will happen with the death of the NCAA
I'm inclined to believe that things like ratings and mindshare lag behind the quality of the game. But that's just conjecture on my part.

The alternative is that quality doesn't matter at all, which is possible.

squicken

This goes back to the discussion from a few days ago, but I think it starts with pulling back the offensive-friendly rule changes. Obviously the league isn't going to go back to allowing it to be open season on QBs, but stuff with illegal contact and DPI gets stupid during the regular season. I'd let DBs and LBs have more free reign in the defensive backfield. Successful passing offenses tilt the field in weird ways (from a strategic perspective), devaluing the field position game and the run game in one fell swoop. The game would be helped by re-valuing those things.

The other obvious idea is that the unspoken "one set of rules for the regular season, one for the playoffs" is bad for the game. I like the "playoff rules" -- where they allow guys to grab and hold (both on the offensive line and in the defensive backfield) and in general swallow the whistle -- quite a bit. They go a long way towards tilting the game back towards balanced teams. But when nobody's played by those rules for a 16 game season, we're in this weird situation where the game you play in the regular season isn't the same game as you crown your champion with. The rules ought to be enforced the same way in the regular season and in the playoffs. (I'd prefer the "playoff rules" all the time)

You would see 6-3 Browns-Bills games. The elite QBs score at will with the offense friendly rules, but shit teams can still barely score 14 points

Also

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

For all the talk of West Coast offenses, the invention of the pro formation, the wildcat, 5-wide sets, the rise of the pass-catching tight-end, Bill Walsh, the Greatest Show On Turf, and the general recognition that passing, passing and more passing is the best way to score in football, half the improvement in scoring in the past 50-plus years of NFL history has come solely from field-goal kickers kicking more accurately

You would see 6-3 Browns-Bills games. The elite QBs score at will with the offense friendly rules, but shit teams can still barely score 14 points

Also
I'm not sure about the 6-3 Browns-Bills thing. We're talking about (trying to) de-emphasize the value of the QB position a bit, ultimately. How many teams doom their future in the quest to find an elite QB? What if there was less incentive to do that?

cdyhybrid

I actually think the age of the retread in the NFL is over.

Look at all the recent coaching hires (like last three years)

Arians, Quinn, Pettine, BOB, Bradley, Zimmer, Bowles, McCoy, Tomsula, Gruden, and the Chipster all got their first jobs.

Compared to only Fox, Del Rio, Kubiak, and Ryan as "retread" coaches
Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid.

ESPN said:
The New York Giants feel the damage to Jason Pierre-Paul's right hand was worse than they were led to believe, sources told ESPN.com, and after the team got a chance to examine him last week, there are people in the organization who fear he might not be able to return to the field at all this year.

One source said that, in addition to the missing right index finger, fractured thumb and skin grafts, a portion of one of the other fingers on Pierre-Paul's right hand is missing.

When I look at the Browns this year I can't find more five games that I feel confident they will win this year.

Jets
Titans
Raiders
Rams

Please someone tell me I'm wrong. That there is hope.

4Lp4BNM.png

When I look at the Browns this year I can't find more five games that I feel confident they will win this year.

Jets
Titans
Raiders
Rams

Please someone tell me I'm wrong. That there is hope.

4Lp4BNM.png

maybe a cincy game? They split the series more often than expected otherwise its basically going to be us after a game

klEARQX.gif

Top Bottom