• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 16 |OT| A Fraud Was Always a Legend

I know the ball went elsewhere, but this really is the year of the pick play. It seems nearly every team runs a pick on every pass play knowing that'll only get flagged once or twice a game if they're unlucky.

LIES!

Only the Patriots use pick plays. The cheaters.

Not sure how calling him a bitch is homophobic. Not surprised about the Panthers though. The ultimate team that's surprised by its success and led by the biggest ego in professional sports.

Who's that? The quarterback? lol he's not even the biggest ego on this team, let alone all of sports. Calm down

Carrying the bats pre-game is something the Panthers have done almost every game this season. That isn't something that they just came up with this week because they wanted to punk Odell Beckham Jr. Is it unneccessary? Yeah. Is it a bit silly? Sure. Should they be on the opposing sideline waving them around like a gang looking to collect on a debt? ABSOLUTELY NOT and Ron Rivera needs to shut that down right now.

As for words that may have been said pre-game, I can definitely believe that Norman/Finnegan and others used homophobic slurs towards OBJ. This is a league predicated on men doing vile and despicable things to each other physically (there is a movie named Concussion coming out in less than a week for a reason) every day, it's not exactly a stretch to think they would say vile and despicable things towards one another. And I'm not going to condone that behavior. If it's true, it's disgusting, there's no place for it in the NFL or society at large and they should be punished for it.

But that's hardly justification for OBJ to completely melt down for the first 50 minutes of the game. Maybe to be amped up to make a statement at the start, not to continue being out of control throughout. And it's a damn shame if I'm a Giants fan, because the only player stopping Odell Beckham Jr. in that game was Odell Beckham Jr.. Him losing his mind cost them the game and possibly a chance at the playoffs.

kmag

Isn't that the standard reaction to every grey area and loophole Bill figures out?

Whine to get it banned while copying it at the same time?

A pick play isn't a loop hole or grey area. It's an illegal play which everyone is using because it's just not called consistently.

Look at the Steelers TD posted. A Crossing route but with the TE slamming into the LB covering the WR's crossing route more than a yard from the LOS before the ball is released. Text book definition of a pick. Now I have a bit of sympathy in this situation for the Refs because it has little to no impact on the result of the play so to my mind it would be a somewhat pointless flag, but the two routes over the middle are pretty much a textbook pick

Rule 8, Section 5, Article 2 (Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble)

Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air. Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

(e) cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball.

...Article 4

"Other Prohibited Acts by the Offense. Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference."

This isn't a Patriots thing, Sean Peyton's offense has a lot of it and has done so for years, Gase's Bronco's offense used them a lot, as did Peyton Manning's offense in Indy. It's a reliable way to get folks open especially if you have good slot WR's and good TE's, and it's rarely called, you'd be a fool not to use them. But this year it's just constant across the entire league. Maybe that's because a lot more teams are trying to use more man coverage due to bigger CB's coming into the league, or maybe it's just one of those things.

Striker

So Cody Wallace is just getting a fine?

BJn7gmE.gif

kmag

Yep. And that's a far worse hit than Beckham's because despite Beckham's being an out of control cheap head shot, it wasn't actually late. Wallace's is an out of control cheap head shot well after the player is down and the play is over.

Now no problem for Beckham getting suspended for his body of work during the game, but the NFL can give the player safety and sanctimonious bullcrap a rest. Wallace is a guy who gave an opponent an on the field prostrate exam so he has prior.

Milchjon

The loophole isn't in the rule itself, but in its enforcement.

Also, I don't believe you. Everyone but the Pats follows every rule.

Crisco

Banned
The comments on the PFT article about Woodson's retirement is literally the nicest I've ever seen people be on the internet.

So apparently if the Chiefs, Jets and Steelers win out and the Broncos lose one game, the Beoncos miss out on the playoffs entirely. Sad thing is, it could very well happen.

Bring back Jim Bob Cooter!

MechDX

Brandon Weeden can clinch a playoff spot if he can beat the Titans and the Colts lose to the Miami Trejos.

Brandon Weedens hopes rely on the booty guy

Okay now I think you guys win
Dolphins o-line sucks even when everyone is healthy. But consider this:

1. C Pouncey, out
2. LT Albert, out
3. RT James, out

Those are the three above average guys. Some dude named Ulrich John came in to play LT last game. ULRICH JOHN.

If Tannehill makes it through this season without dying he deserves a complementary Super Bowl ring.

Godslay

Banned
So apparently if the Chiefs, Jets and Steelers win out and the Broncos lose one game, the Beoncos miss out on the playoffs entirely. Sad thing is, it could very well happen.

So many scenarios that can still play out.

Broncos are as close to the 2 seed as they are to being eliminated from the playoffs. Weird situation.

bionic77

The reason he did that is the Broncos took a (legal) cheap shot at Brown at the end of the play. He then came in and cleaned up the pile in retaliation.

The old football guys believe in this stuff. No way he gets suspended.

eznark

Banned
Two more callers this morning on SiriusXM blamed the refs more than the players.

The straw man. It liiiiiiiiiiiives

Godslay

Banned
The reason he did that is the Broncos took a (legal) cheap shot at Brown at the end of the play. He then came in and cleaned up the pile in retaliation.

The old football guys believe in this stuff. No way he gets suspended.

Brown was still fighting for yards. Legal tackle by Jackson to finish the play. Hardly a cheap shot.

So wait... are Broncos fans rooting for The Patriots this weekend!?

Two more callers this morning on SiriusXM blamed the refs more than the players.

The straw man. It liiiiiiiiiiiives

I think there is some blame to go on the refs... Totally blame OBJ more (obviously) as the guy actually using his helmet as a weapon, but the refs fucked up by not wanting to flag and toss two super stars early in the game.

OBJ is getting his though. He's taken himself out of the most important game for the Giants season (assuming his appeal is dealt quickly and suspension holds up -- which it better or this league is fucked), he'll be out of the game and the Giants will lose and miss the playoffs.

bionic77

Brown was still fighting for yards. Legal tackle by Jackson to finish the play. Hardly a cheap shot.
I said it was legal but cheap.

As I recall it Brown was wrapped up and he came in to finish off the play and get in an easy cheap shot.

That's what prompted the reaction.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a horrible feeling Detroit hires a new GM and forces him to keep Caldwell as coach. Oh, the fan revolt if that happened.

Top Bottom