• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 9 |OT| - A Fraud Had Some Nice Shoes

Line_HTX

Hello Greg, it is a little stressful around here (I have 23 lectures to study for my next cardiology test!!) but overall I am blessed :)

Hopefully you're able to get some tennis in before the weather starts to really turn!!

EDIT: BG I am sorry, I watched Hotline Bling a few times this morning, it got my Testosterone levels really high......

Morning, and good luck on your test!

*Below the belt kick

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
who here watched going clear? That shit is crazyyyyyy. Really hope it gets the Oscar so more will see it.

Bowser

Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
It just hit me, but Panthers are the first team in NFL history to win a game after trailing in OT.

Season full of firsts for the Panthers

ampere

K5CqvsI.gif

BG is furyously signing the online petition over and over, he is PIST OFF

2 first rounders? Maybe Chip Kelly will do it...

Colasante

Thoughts on Ken Whisenhunt getting fired:

1. He never should've chosen Tennessee over Detroit. I doubt he would have had much more success in Detroit, but still, that was a horrendous decision, which isn't a surprise because Whisenhunt's defining trait as a head coach was his terrible decision making.

2. Good to see him get fired. He was a terrible, boring coach. Get Kyle Shanahan in Tennessee so we can actually see Mariota, Kendall Wright, and DGB reach their potential.

3. I wonder if this makes it more or less likely that Jason McCourty gets traded to the Patriots today. The ownership structure seems muddled and I don't know who is really calling the shots, but they'll probably want to keep as much talent on their roster as possible to attract head coaches.

Patriots safeties well represented in Pro Football Focus's ratings. Devin McCourty at 5, Patrick Chung at 7, and Duron Harmon at 15.

MechDX

Titans cleaning house waiting for Peyton to retire and become team president while his family negotiates buying the team out right.

Hindl

Jenkins and Thurmond have really been solid. I wish our offense would wake up, this team could be dangerous.

I would shit myself if Chip managed to get Jeffery, we need someone who can catch balls. But no way in hell Fox let's him go

KingBroly

Banned
Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar
It just hit me, but Panthers are the first team in NFL history to win a game after trailing in OT.

Season full of firsts for the Panthers

Definitely felt odd. That's usually not how OT works. Especially after Ginn's drop.

And Calvin Johnson, the Lions President and GM aren't at practice today, so...

This NFL year has been a sloppy one and a lot of people have rightfully complained about it. Maybe it was teams not taking preseason seriously enough, maybe it was something else, but for whatever reason, there's been a lot of injuries (and not just the concussion variety -- which to me feel down -- but mostly ligament and structure damage injuries), and there's been a clear division of "haves" and "have nots" this season.

And yet, despite that, we're gearing up for one of the closest playoff races in NFL history... Here's why:

AFC
There are 3 clear division leaders in the AFC that are 3+ games ahead of the next closest division opponents, a virtually insurmountable lead for those teams:
  • Patriots, 7 - 0 (Closest: Jets, 4 - 3)
  • Broncos, 7 - 0 (Closest: Steelers, 4 - 4)
  • Bengals, 7 - 0 (Closest: Raiders, 4 - 3)

Because those teams are each 7 - 0 and the Broncos play both the Patriots and Bengals, this means that these three teams are likely to be neck-and-neck for either the playoff bye or homefield up until Week 16, Sunday Dec 27. One team would have to go on a significant slide for them to not be competitive in Week 16 for homefield. By strength of schedule, the team most likely to slide would be Denver (they have to play both NE and Cinci, plus the Colts, Chiefs, Chargers (2x), Steelers, and Raiders -- they'd be favored in these games, but it's not an easy stretch). But, as of Week 8, Denver arguably looks the strongest (there's some recency bias here with New England playing on Thursday and obliterating a rising Dolphins team).

Here's the rest of the AFC Playoff would shape up if the season ended today:

• 1st Seed: Denver Broncos 7 - 0 (First round bye)
  • 2nd Seed: New England Patriots 7 - 0 (First round bye)
  • 3rd Seed: Cincinatti Bengals 7 - 0
  • 4th Seed: Indianapolis Colts 3 - 5
  • 5th Seed: Oakland Raiders 4 - 3
  • 6th Seed: New York Jets 4 -3

Here are the remaining teams in the AFC and their games out of the playoffs:

• Texans - 0.0 games out of division (Losing on tiebreakers). Play Colts Week 14.
  • Jaguars - 0.5 games out of division (4 division games, 2 against Titans, 1 each against Texans and Colts. Schedule wise, Jaguars could be playing for the division in Week 17 despite being 2 - 5 in week 8)
  • Steelers - 0.5 games out WC. Steelers play Raiders Week 9. Winner moves into WC spot. Other potential Wild Card opponents: Colts, Week 13.
  • Bills - 1 game out of WC (Play Jets and Dolphins each)
  • Dolphins - 1 game out of WC (Play Jets and Bills each; Jets Week 17, potential "regular season playoff game" for WC)
  • Chiefs - 1.5 games out of WC
  • Titans - 1.5 games out of division
  • Chargers - 2.5 games out of WC (7 remaining games against AFC)
  • Browns - 2.5 games out of WC (6 remaining games against AFC)
  • Ravens - 2.5 Games out of WC (6 remaining games against AFC

Some noteworthy games for the current AFC playoff teams... The Colts are 3 - 5 and have lost 3 in a row. They have a worse record than their next 4 opponents... Broncos (7-0), Falcons (6-2), Bucs (3-4), and Steelers (4-4). Arguably, the Colts could lose those four games. You'd have to wager they're underdogs to Broncos, Falcons, and Steelers, and arguably favorites against the Bucs (or should be). But the Colts could be 4 - 8 at this point. Similarly, the Jaguars at 2 - 5 have the Jets, Ravens, Titans, and Chargers in this thread. Arguably the Jags lose to the Jets, but Ravens, Titans, and Chargers are toss ups... as all three of those teams have worse records than the Jags. The Jags are obviously a team who doesn't win the games they should, but if they did, they be 5 - 6, or if those are toss ups, then 4 - 8. Texans have a much tougher schedule, facing 5 teams with a better record, 2 of which are undefeated. Their schedule ends with 3 division opponents.

If there's one thing that deserves over-stating, it's that the AFC South is dogshit. The Titans are 1 - 6 and only a game and a half out of the playoffs. I didn't think it'd be possible to be worse than the NFC South last year, but the AFC South is.

Dragon

Banned
The NFL should just expand and have two teams in London at this point. Put them in the NFC East, let those fucks suffer!

Hindl

If Bradford wasn't playing so well I could see it. They need to either get new wrs or get the current ones to catch.

I was mostly kidding I really don't want Kaep. Bradford's got his issues but Kaep just has been fucking up constantly. I'd only take it if we do a Kaep for Sanchez trade and have Kaep sit for a while to learn the offense. But again, no way in hell that happens

The NFL should just expand and have two teams in London at this point. Put them in the NFC East, let those fucks suffer!

Haven't we suffered enough? Everyone in our division is either terrible or missing their key piece

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Luck is fucked up right now. Mentally and physically, and I think that happens when you're hit as much as he is and have to do as much. The amount of times he's been hit are enough to make people think he's played one more year than he actually has... Not good. I think we still give up on the run way too easily and we have like 40 something games straight with no 100yd rusher even with Gore. Unacceptable.

But after watching his game last night, I definitely think his game is fixable and that he can bounce back at some point. Just doesn't seem like it will happen soon, in regards to the turnovers at least. Say what you want, but he's the reason we lost and also the reason we almost won... He missed so many throws ;__;

Some beat writers said he looked absolutely defeated after the game and barely talked in the locker room last night. Just sat and pondered...

"Maybe I should go home" he wondered.

Godslay

Banned
Some posters on another board are saying NFL network said Haden and Gipson are on the board too
*lays down

If talks are going on I would think that's just part of back and forth that probably happens in trades. I'm not convinced talks are all off...
Pukes

Maybe so. Browns might want too much though. Rightfully so in most ways. They shouldn't just give him away.

gutshot

Eagles will probably end up with Kaep, although it will be during the offseason after the Niners cut him. Not an in-season trade.

ParityBit

How about one team from each division, it changes from year to year. Kind of like the premiere soccer league, but instead of dropping out of the league for sucking you get shipped across the ocean! Worst team in each division goes!

Crisco

Banned
Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 19m19 minutes ago
Devin Funchess snap counts, by week:

I'm not ready to call bust on a rookie receiver, but it's definitely disappointing for a guy we spent 3 draft picks on. I think we need to stop worrying about finding big receivers who can get their fingertips on Cam's occasional airmailed throws and just go for reliable possession receivers that can actually catch the damn ball. Tipping a ball that's sailing 4 feet over your head doesn't help, I'd rather they just let it go. As hard as Cam throws the ball, those are rarely picked anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Calvin Johnson not at practice, internet fans irrationally freak out.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Maybe so. Browns might want too much though. Rightfully so in most ways. They shouldn't just give him away.

In the end I don't think they plan on trading Joe. But they'll listen to offers, ask for the moon and see what teams would offer.

Top Bottom