• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.
&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-312279917.jpg

Y'all need to try this. It's a stroopwafel. GOAT Dutch snack.

Garlic Aioli is freaking delicious on burgers

Yes.

I make burgers with garlic aioli and tomato/chorizo salsa. Da best.

Those are delicious. The Germans claim they invented them though. So do Austrians.

"A stroopwafel (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈstroːpʋaːfəl]; literally "syrup waffle") is a waffle made from two thin layers of baked dough with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle. It is popular in the Netherlands, where they were first made in the city of Gouda."

Fuck the Germans and the Austrians.

So which of you animus is coughing up $800 for a Vive? Between this and Rift being $600, I think the only VR I'll be messing with in this gen is a Gear attached to my S6 Edge+.

Provided this all goes swimmingly, I imagine 2nd gen being both cheaper and better tech. Maybe by 2020 we'll see sub-$500 VR devices.

Rotoworld said:
TMZ reports free agent RB Joseph Randle was arrested in Kansas Sunday morning on charges of battery, criminal damage and drug possession.

This marks Randle's fifth arrest in the past 17 months and his third since getting cut by the Cowboys in November. He's being held on $100,000 bail. During his last arrest, Randle was shown on video saying "my career is over." He's probably right.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So which of you animus is coughing up $800 for a Vive? Between this and Rift being $600, I think the only VR I'll be messing with in this gen is a Gear attached to my S6 Edge+.

Provided this all goes swimmingly, I imagine 2nd gen being both cheaper and better tech. Maybe by 2020 we'll see sub-$500 VR devices.

Sticking with the Rift, I don't have the free space for a proper Vive setup.

Fox318

I still think VR won't make an impact in the consumer market.

People aren't going to wear shit on their face. 3DTV market already proved that.

Plus we still havn't seen any fucking apps that would make somebody go out and buy it that isn't a tech demo.

RBH

sdbowlinterior_r900x493.jpg

Rendering of proposed Chargers stadium in Mission Valley — Courtesy of Meis Architects

A citizen’s initiative led by the Chargers could help solve stadium financing problems by reviving opportunities for collateral development of the Mission Valley stadium site, City Attorney Jan Goldsmith said last week.

If team officials decide to pursue a stadium in Mission Valley instead of downtown, Goldsmith said an initiative similar to those pursued last year for proposed stadiums in Carson and Inglewood could simplify the environmental challenges posed by adjacent development.

Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s stadium task force last year estimated selling 75 acres of the 166-acre Qualcomm site for collateral development could generate $225 million for a $1.1 billion stadium.

That could help close funding gaps in any proposed stadium financing plan, which would also be expected to include $300 million from the NFL, $350 million from city and county taxpayers and millions more from personal seat licenses and other revenue streams.

City and county officials abandoned the task force’s adjacent development proposal last summer because of environmental concerns and a lack of time for a citizen’s initiative to alleviate those concerns.

Now that the Chargers have revived stadium efforts in San Diego after the NFL’s rejection in January of their proposed Carson stadium in favor of the Rams proposed Inglewood stadium, Goldsmith said the potential for a citizen’s initiative and collateral development could be revisited.

"There is a way to do it — they did it in Carson and another group of lawyers did it in Inglewood, so it certainly could be done in San Diego in pretty much the same way," he said. "It would involve re-zoning, it would involve voter approval of not only a stadium but ancillary development, and it would include bypassing the California Environmental Quality Act if it’s done right."

It’s not clear whether the Chargers would pursue this route, how much revenue could be generated or what shape the collateral development would take.

Previous proposals during the team’s long pursuit of a new stadium have included residential developments, retail projects, entertainment districts, a new home for the sports arena or combinations of those ideas.

The team’s new stadium point man, Fred Maas, and the team’s special counsel, Mark Fabiani, both declined interview requests last week.

A spokesman for Mayor Faulconer said on Friday that he’s willing to consider a stadium proposal including collateral development on the city-owned Qualcomm site.

"The mayor is open to having ancillary development as part of an initiative the Chargers propose as long as the overall plan is viable and a fair and responsible deal for taxpayers," said the spokesman, Craig Gustafson. “The reason it wasn’t included in the city-county proposal released last year is that both the NFL and the Chargers wanted a stadium-only project to meet their requirement to have a ready-to-go plan by the end of 2015 that didn’t rely on funding from future development."

The team and its lawyers would need to decide the details of such an initiative by late March in order to begin gathering signatures for an initiative that would appear on the November ballot.

Previous proposals for adding collateral development to a new Mission Valley stadium faced complex environmental approvals because they came prior to a watershed 2014 state Supreme Court ruling.

That ruling said projects approved by citizen’s initiative can bypass the rigorous environmental review required by the California Environmental Quality Act.

The stadium proposals in Carson and Inglewood were among the first to utilize that opportunity for accelerated approval, and Goldsmith said San Diego and the Chargers now have time to follow suit.

“Given the limited time last year for environmental review, keeping it only to the stadium made a lot of sense because there was already a stadium there and a lot of the environmental work had already been done," he said. "It would have been impossible for the scientists to do all the environmental work for peripheral development."

The environmental impact report for a Mission Valley stadium that the city completed last fall would have to be abandoned if collateral development is added to the proposal. But that won’t matter if the Chargers bypass CEQA by pursuing a citizen’s initiative.

Goldsmith said the Supreme Court ruling is so new that it’s not clear how specific the initiative would have to be about the proposed collateral development, but he said a general outline would almost certainly be necessary.

"We're still in relatively new territory, but I would assume you're going to want to have some parameters of what would be there: no greater than X number of housing units and the square footage that would be set aside for retail and commercial," he said. "I would assume they would have some understanding of what they would want there and I would assume the voters would want to know before they vote yes or no."

Having voters approve rezoning the land and the entitlements needed to build something would ease the approval process for potential developers, making the opportunity more appealing. Those benefits would be in addition to voter approval simplifying environmental approvals.

Tony Manolatos, who was spokesman for the mayor’s stadium task force until it completed its work last spring, said last week that the group’s analysis showed strong demand from developers.

“If the Chargers move forward with a Mission Valley proposal, you’re going to have people clamoring to buy the extra property,” he said.

Goldsmith noted that bypassing CEQA wouldn’t eliminate all potential environmental hurdles.

The proposal might still need approval from agencies that enforce the Endangered Species Act, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act or Toxic Substances Control Act.

For example, Goldsmith said the proposed Carson stadium project needed approval from state officials for remediation work related to it being a former dump.

In addition, there could be strong public opposition to adding collateral development to a new stadium project in already-congested Mission Valley.

That could require any proposal to include money for infrastructure projects, such as widening of nearby roads or building parking garages.

Manolatos said the task force concluded that parking lost to collateral development of the Qualcomm site could be replaced.

“There’s a lot of surface parking in Mission Valley close to that site — a lot of office towers,” he said.

Goldsmith said it was unlikely that all of the revenue generated by collateral development could help finance stadium construction because roughly half the Qualcomm site is owned by the city’s Water Department and its ratepayers, not the city.

"There is a fiduciary duty not to treat the water fund unjustly," Goldsmith said.

He stressed that city officials couldn’t be involved in drafting the initiative because state law requires it to originate with citizens.

"I can't give them a road map of how to do it because that would be inappropriate," said Goldsmith, adding that he doubted his help would be necessary. "If this is the same team that did the work on the Chargers citizen’s initiative in Carson, they know what they're doing. I'm sure they'll cover those bases.”
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...stadium-development-money-goldsmith/?chargers

Duxxy3

Gronk is going to catch every single disease known to mankind. In the process, 500 Rob Gronkowski Jr's will be born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom