• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSA

Banned
I never wrestled or played football so I have little to no understanding how the contest works between pass rushers and offensive linemen. So much of it has to do with leverage, balance and footwork. I never really played a sport with that much contact so I have no first hand experience with it.

A lot of it has to do with timing and anticipation. My friend's dad played in the NFL as a center and guard. He's small as fuck but fundamentally he's technically sound. Most d-lineman only have like one or two moves so you learn their tendencies and how to counter them.

Edit: like that Deforest Buckner listed earlier. He's huge as fuck but he's never first off the snap. He probably won't make a splash in the NFL.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I never wrestled or played football so I have little to no understanding how the contest works between pass rushers and offensive linemen. So much of it has to do with leverage, balance and footwork. I never really played a sport with that much contact so I have no first hand experience with it.

*Puts on Al Bundy hat*

The battle between Offensive Tackle and Defensive End is a beautiful one.

I routinely went against tackles 100 lbs over my weight (though I'm 6'5) and whatever you could bench in the weight room does not matter at that point.

It's all about reading what the tackle does, using peripheral vision to see how the play is proceeding and this all happens in slow motion in front of thousands of people.

For instance you can tell when an Offensive Tackle is in pass protection or if he's in a 3 point stance and you have to shed him and break up the play before even your Linebacker can get there.

Or if the Tackle pulls to try to block a lineman, as a DE, you have to take on the Fullback and I would blow him the fuck up and then make the tackle for no gain or loss.

The one thing that my coaches always, always emphasized, and I think it's even moreso in today's game but never, ever lose contain and let a mobile QB or RB outside of the pocket.

One thing that boggles my mind when I watch even the professionals play is getting Encrochment penalties on fake/loud counts.

As a defensive lineman use your peripheral vision to keep an eye on the ball and lineman. If either of those two move its full speed ahead otherwise.

Don't listen to what the QB is saying on the loud count, that's the Linebackers or Free Safetys job.

Pepiope

Yeah that last special teams gunner has to make the team. If your team doesnt know who the best players are through an entire camp get new scouts.
And when those guys get cut, other teams will have less film to watch of them on the field. Those games matter to a lot of players.

And when those guys get cut, other teams will have less film to watch of them on the field. Those games matter to a lot of players.

Plus every year there are guys who are not expected to make their teams but they have breakout performances in the preseason games and they do wind up getting a spot. Some guys play better then they practice.

jakncoke

Banned
Pepiope defending all fringe players such as Sam Bradford ;)

If a team hasnt figured out if you're worthy of a roster spot in 3 games 75% chance you dont belong in the league. Having another meaningless game wont mean shit for the majority of these players.

If a team hasnt figured out if you're worthy of a roster spot in 3 games 75% chance you dont belong in the league. Having another meaningless game wont mean shit for the majority of these players.
Given the quality of football over the past couple of seasons - these teams need all the games they can get to put a worthwhile product on the field.

I shudder to think what the first 5 weeks of games will look like with a preseason game lopped off.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sorry for pissing on your shrine of Favre, even though he's a Packer I respect his legend.

Matthew Stafford and Brett Favre have similar, God given arm strength and gunslinging mentality. Can zip the ball into triple coverage like its nothing.

Bullshit on Cutler working with less. Stafford has had far less help during his career.

Cutler has always had a running game whether with Chicago or Denver. Stafford had the worst running game in the league last year.

Matthew Stafford has never had a semblance of a running game and went from 2012-2014 with essentially no professional WR other than Megatron.

Give Matthew Stafford someone like Matt Forte and see what he does with some semblance of a running game.

I wish Bears fans posted here so they could argue with you about this. To my mind, most years the Bears offensive line was hilariously bad and Brandon Marshall was the closest thing he ever got to Megatron.

Talent wise I think they're the exact same except Jay Cutler sniffed a Super Bowl before giving up like the little bitch that he was. Stafford hasn't even won a playoff game.

I wish Bears fans posted here so they could argue with you about this. To my mind, most years the Bears offensive line was hilariously bad and Brandon Marshall was the closest thing he ever got to Megatron.

Talent wise I think they're the exact same except Jay Cutler sniffed a Super Bowl before giving up like the little bitch that he was. Stafford hasn't even won a playoff game.

sac.0.gif

Given the quality of football over the past couple of seasons - these teams need all the games they can get to put a worthwhile product on the field.

I shudder to think what the first 5 weeks of games will look like with a preseason game lopped off.

You don't want more preseason games, you want the starters getting more preseason reps. Perfectly doable with 3 games instead of 4.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Unless the NFL is going to cut down training camp time, one less preseason game means nothing. It is good experience for young and new players to a team. It is a good opportunity for those players to showcase themselves for other teams.

If the owners are going to cut a preseason game, it's almost certainly a precursor to adding a regular season game.

You don't want more preseason games, you want the starters getting more preseason reps. Perfectly doable with 3 games instead of 4.
I never asked for more. I'm concerned with the quality of the product suffering with less but yes, you are right. The overall view of preseason games need to change including the 10 snaps for starters in the first game, and the incremental increases we see past that. If those types of adjustments are made - I'm fine with it.

If the owners are going to cut a preseason game, it's almost certainly a precursor to adding a regular season game.
Yay..another Thursday Night Football extravaganza!

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell 1m1 minute ago Indiana, USA
Per @josephperson Panthers want to lock up Ron Rivera with another contract extension:

I mean, there's no one out there readily available who's better, I guess...

Someone needs to create the gif for the lions vs steelers game where stafford could of led a game winning drive but ended the game throwing a interception

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311170pit.htm

4:28 down by 3, throws a int. Prob someone elses fault and the fact they were 0-16 at some point right kas

If you look into the stats, Johnson was targeted 13 times but his bitch ass could only haul in 6 for 178 and two touchdowns. If he had pulled his head out of his ass and caught 10 balls, the Lions would have won.

How many of them would know who that is though?

Make it Steve Grogan instead

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

The 2010 season where Jay Cutler lead his team to a NFC North divisional title and playoff win against the Seahawks he had Julius Peppers, Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Tommie Harris and Pat Tillman on defense. The first 3 were Pro Bowlers along with Devin Hester who played some defense.

His WR core was average/below average but he had prime Matt Forte in the backfield along with Greg Olsen, Kellen Davis and Desmond Clark at TE.

And no lectures on bad offensive line play. Stafford had the worst running game in the league this year which has been par for the course for most of his career and was still sacked/hit more than any other QB in the league.

And he still managed to put up 4,000 plus yards, TD:INT ratio at 2:1 and set a career high in completion percentage.

All this without throwing one red zone INT, being the first QB ever to throw 60% in all 16 games and finish the season with a 19 TD to 2 TD ratio.

Oh, and did I mention he's only 28 years old?

Did you not see my post? He took over the 0-16, 2008 Detroit Lions. Remember that team? Do you understand how bad that team truly was and how long it's taken to build our roster to where it's at?

That 2-29 record is nonsense and most were close games where the defense lost the game or a referee made a bad call. Rarely does Stafford go out and lose games for the Lions. I really can't remember one game where I said to myself "Stafford shit the bed it's totally 100% his fault we lost."

In fact it's the opposite.

Look at his 4th quarter numbers and look at the amount of last minute drives he's led the Lions to victory.

Honestly every one of your posts is tl;dr and spouts the same crap. So no, I did not read your post beyond you putting Favre and Stafford in the same breath, which was pure :kas-tastic.

jakncoke

Banned
Pat Tillman?

Will you stop taking so many narcotics kas. Charles Tillman. Not only you fuck his name up you confused him with a guy that was a different race, and died at war 6 years previous to the 2010 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom