• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Nope he can't

pbamisseddunk.gif
Is that still a top 5 for Sportsnation top jeers of the year?

RBH

CeU6a9AXIAEBAbG.jpg:large

In a recent meeting that included a number of team executives, Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson explained with wide eyes to those in attendance, including owner Jimmy Haslam and his wife, what he saw during a private workout from Robert Griffin III last week.

Jackson explained how, at one point when Griffin rolled out in a full sprint to throw a pass, "it felt like the Earth moved beneath my feet," according to team sources. He told them how Griffin's accuracy in passing drills was "freakish." It was surreal and special. It was everything you remember from 2012 -- and everything you have forgotten since.

And while the Browns owner by no means calls the shots on roster decisions in Cleveland (executive vice president Sashi Brown has that power), it is widely understood within the organization that Jackson understands quarterbacks as well as anyone. So Haslam looked toward the execs and spoke three definitive words:

"Go get him," Haslam told the group, setting off a series of negotiations that would lead to Griffin signing a two-year, $15 million with the Browns on Thursday.

Meanwhile, while Jackson was left in awe, Griffin was in the middle of his own soul-searching experience. The former No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy winner suddenly had found himself being used as a leverage chip around the NFL, knowingly visiting the New York Jets earlier this month as a way to help them negotiate with the quarterback they truly want, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Griffin was OK with this. He understood this process -- that any free-agent visit would be helpful to his situation. He also believes he knows, after a humbling year that included repetitions as a scout-team safety, the importance of appreciating the difficult nature of the NFL, according to sources close to him.

But then, he visited Cleveland.

He visited, not knowing what would become of it, still being told by multiple advisors that San Francisco would be the best fit should Colin Kaepernick get traded. Something happened on that visit that changed the whole thing.

Jackson and Griffin saw the potential.

For Griffin, he saw a tough-loving coach who asked no easy questions. Jackson saw an honest and humbled human; a football player who made it clear that his days of heavy social-media interaction were behind him; a man who couldn't stop saying those ever-important words: "It is all about football for me."

Yes, there is no doubt, it is easy to speak these words, as Griffin did -- just like it was easy for Johnny Manziel to do the same during his pre-draft visits with the same team under a different coach. And so, it is reasonable and expected for Browns fans to remain skeptical, just as it is no surprise that the sports world will roll its collective eyes.

And that's just fine. For Griffin and Jackson, both men realize an important truth about their own personal situations and the situation of the city they now share: Every story of redemption starts with doubt and criticism.

So here's what you need to know, other than the fact that Jackson and Griffin immediately had an impressive vibe: They both recognize this is going to take hard work and nothing is guaranteed. But Jackson absolutely sees a player who he plans to prepare for a Week 1 start, while Griffin aims to approach this situation as a competition, regardless of who it is against, according to sources close to both.

In the coming weeks, Griffin will begin workouts with Tom House, the quarterback guru who has a strong relationship with Jackson. House has worked with quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Carson Palmer, and he understands Jackson's system, which will allow Griffin to get started on private work despite rules that will largely limit the interaction between Jackson and Griffin for the coming months.

Yes, Griffin fully understands the Browns could still select a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick in next month's draft. Heck, on Thursday, when the Browns announced they'd signed Griffin, Jackson was literally watching Carson Wentz's pro-day workout.

The Browns also know how Jackson feels about Griffin, and they fully recognize Jackson sees a player who he expects to become the starter for this team in 2016. Is he a bridge to a younger player? You could assume that. But Jackson views this differently, according to a source close to the coach. He has more optimism than that. But no need for those details now. Time will tell how this plays out.

For now, on this day, this is a story of two men who believe in one another, despite their limited interaction. It is a story of two men who understand things could change with their relationship and their situation, as both have very publicly learned over the last few years. Reality has been harsh to both. They aren't merely dreamers anymore.

"I'm just excited to come in and compete," Griffin said in a team-issued statement. "Nothing's ever been given to me in my life, so I just want to go out and compete with the guys and grow with this team. I feel like that's all I'm really focused on. I cherish the opportunity to get another chance to play this beautiful game."

Do you believe him? Maybe not.

But Jackson does.

And perhaps, for now, that's all that matters.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ve-with-robert-griffin-iii-at-private-workout

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah N64 was a shit console with great games. Kinda like the Gamecube and Wii U

I'm with having a different console, I love the idea of a scroll wheel for shoulder buttons for example, and I still think the actual NX controller won't be that far off from the fake, except there will also be physical buttons set around the screen. I like Nintendo for being different, even if it doesn't always work out. But for better or worse, controller design has become standardized in the past 15 years, except for Nintendo. Almost every controller you posted is from 20+ years ago. To me a standard controller has 2 analog sticks, a d-pad, some number of face buttons, and triggers. And there's a lot of variability in there and room for evolution, which is what I think Nintendo is going to do. But look at recent controllers:

The gamecube controller is at least somewhat close to the others, but the weird C-stick isn't a true analog stick. Still, they were kind of close, and the gamecube controller is a dream for Nintendo games.

Here's where things got weird, as obvious to anyone. One analog stick with the Nunchuck, plus a different control scheme. I like the Wiimote, but you can't say it's normal.

And most recently:

Nintendo kind of made a standard controller again, but put a screen in the middle and made it clunky, expensive, and unnecessary. I applaud the risk, but I'm not going to say they are the same. They've always done something slightly different from everyone else.

I think the NX controller is going to be a refinement of the Gamepad, and hopefully brings some innovation back into controllers. I feel like part of the reason we aren't getting new types of games is because we aren't getting new types of control methods, and hopefully Nintendo can jumpstart that. I like them because they are different, but I'm not going to pretend they make standard, 'normal' flagship controllers

All this.

Thanks for saving me time to type all of this out.

I should also be banned from posting from mobile. Sometimes I look back at the grammar in my posts and wonder if I'm secretly an 8 year old immigrant flunking out of his ESL class....or I'm just gata.

Yeah N64 was a shit console with great games. Kinda like the Gamecube and Wii U

I'm with having a different console, I love the idea of a scroll wheel for shoulder buttons for example, and I still think the actual NX controller won't be that far off from the fake, except there will also be physical buttons set around the screen. I like Nintendo for being different, even if it doesn't always work out. But for better or worse, controller design has become standardized in the past 15 years, except for Nintendo. Almost every controller you posted is from 20+ years ago. To me a standard controller has 2 analog sticks, a d-pad, some number of face buttons, and triggers. And there's a lot of variability in there and room for evolution, which is what I think Nintendo is going to do. But look at recent controllers:

The gamecube controller is at least somewhat close to the others, but the weird C-stick isn't a true analog stick. Still, they were kind of close, and the gamecube controller is a dream for Nintendo games.

Here's where things got weird, as obvious to anyone. One analog stick with the Nunchuck, plus a different control scheme. I like the Wiimote, but you can't say it's normal.

And most recently:

Nintendo kind of made a standard controller again, but put a screen in the middle and made it clunky, expensive, and unnecessary. I applaud the risk, but I'm not going to say they are the same. They've always done something slightly different from everyone else.

I think the NX controller is going to be a refinement of the Gamepad, and hopefully brings some innovation back into controllers. I feel like part of the reason we aren't getting new types of games is because we aren't getting new types of control methods, and hopefully Nintendo can jumpstart that. I like them because they are different, but I'm not going to pretend they make standard, 'normal' flagship controllers

I honestly hope so. For all the shit the tablet gets, there's some seriously cool ideas in there. The biggest problems with the tablet are how big it is (though surprisingly not heavy), and how expensive it is which ultimately brought up the asking price for a wii u. If Nintendo can take the positives from their godlike pro controller and the cool, but ultimately flawed tablet and merge it into a new controller, I think they can make something really great.

Seeing a robot flipping one of those advertising boards on my way home made me think about how fucked no skill having losers are now in this country.

It used to be no matter how dumb as fuck you were, they could always find a job for you. Now all of the unskilled jobs are going to the robots and malnourished Asian kids.

I'm sure they'll have robot fry cooks sooner rather than later!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I honestly hope so. For all the shit the tablet gets, there's some seriously cool ideas in there. The biggest problems with the tablet are how big it is (though surprisingly not heavy), and how expensive it is which ultimately brought up the asking price for a wii u. If Nintendo can take the positives from their godlike pro controller and the cool, but ultimately flawed tablet and merge it into a new controller, I think they can make something really great.

I also really like the tablet. I'm about 4/5ths of the way through Wind Waker and I've been playing it entirely on the tablet with Netflix in the background.

If anything I think the screen should be larger and full 1080p. I feel like so much of the gamepad real estate is taken up by plastic and not really anything useful. I also think that they'd benefit from a better screen and resolution because if Nintendo is trying to compete with modern tablets, it needs to match up side by side.

Really I think the Wii U is an amazing idea that was poorly implemented. The fact that I have to hook up an external USB HDD to do anything useful was killer...plus the system is still kinda slow but they did improve it drastically. Also the online needs work as always.

The point being that I would buy a Wii U that was fully realized. Give me a Wii U where the gamepad also is a portable console and I'm golden.

Hmm, trust 98% of the people in the world or Gata...

Well if gata is truly representative of the types of people bionic likes to go on about, the movie will do gangbusters then.

I have no doubt that BvS did the mindless and dumb action well enough to be somewhat enjoyable.

That's literally all Zach Snyder can do. He's like Michael Bay with less gratuitous pimping of American nationalism or racist robots.

Still enjoyable and terrible aren't mutually exclusive.

Hindl

Dios mio....

Oh my. Kinda reminds me of Rebel Alley from Arrested Development Season 4

Yeah, I mean just add some physical buttons and a d-pad inset in the screen and that's basically a refinement of the gamepad already. I also liked the gamepad a lot, just it felt too cheap, and no one used it. But it has potential, and that combined with the apparent scroll wheel shoulder button patent could make something really interesting. The one reason I hope that the actual NX is along the lines of the fake is that the fake looked sleek. It almost looked like an Apple product. The Wii U gamepad just doesn't look like a modern product. The Wiimote and Wii, whatever your opinion of them, at least looked nice. I'm hoping that Nintendo merges the Wii U Pro controller with something similar to this fake, because that could be really cool. Still, it's Nintendo so I could see them messing it up

I also really like the tablet. I'm about 4/5ths of the way through Wind Waker and I've been playing it entirely on the tablet with Netflix in the background.

If anything I think the screen should be larger and full 1080p. I feel like so much of the gamepad real estate is taken up by plastic and not really anything useful. I also think that they'd benefit from a better screen and resolution because if Nintendo is trying to compete with modern tablets, it needs to match up side by side.

Really I think the Wii U is an amazing idea that was poorly implemented. The fact that I have to hook up an external USB HDD to do anything useful was killer...plus the system is still kinda slow but they did improve it drastically. Also the online needs work as always.

The point being that I would buy a Wii U that was fully realized. Give me a Wii U where the gamepad also is a portable console and I'm golden.

Yeah they do have that Sharp freeform display patent, which would let them do exactly what you say. Make the gamepad, but have the screen go to the edge of the controller and have it wrap around the analog sticks and buttons

effzee

Armond White liked it? Shit that's it then it must suck.

I hate that dude he makes no sense.

Anyway LOLWHAT@ Nintendo not making good controllers? Wii was feasible with the joystick connection and the Wii U gamepad is bad but everything before that was pure sex like that picture of the Dolphins cheerleader.

GameCube controller is godly. Wii U pro controller isn't bad either actually.

bionic77

I don't have a U but I loved the Wii remote and nunchuck combo.

That was a pretty awesome way to play certain games. Sucked if all you played was FIFA, GTA and COD (that's probably a majority of gamers) but for certain titles it was definitely better. And I loved the pointer.

The motion was great in Zelda SS too. A game like that in VR with motion controls could be dope!

latest

I have returned from the promise land....the movie theater (BvS)

I enjoyed the movie. I could see how ppl could not like it, but it's no way near trash or what reviews are saying. That's Just my opinion though . Im not sure it's a superhero movie that the whole family would enjoy though. If you take kids I don't think they'll come away with the same enjoyment they might have with watching the Avengers or something like that.

Batman in this movie was my favorite part. It's a darker Batman then usual, and I look forward to a possible solo movie.

The trailers for the movie were pretty shit, and that "do you bleed" line seemed pretty corny. In the acual movie it didn't come off like that

If you want to see the movie see it, don't let reviews deter you.

For comic/hero fans I think for the most part you'll find it enjoyable. Some cool stuff sprinkled throughout
Saw BvS. I enjoyed it. Nowhere near as bad as the reviews said.
Yes.

You guys can laugh or whatever but this is nothing special. It's made by a local place. They make stuff like this all the time, we'll probably have more after the draft. Heck I have a Peyton Hillis depicted as a Rhino shirt from the place. The shop has some cool stuff even for non Cleveland fans. Check it out, it's called fresh brewed tees. Or you can keep on laughing it's whatever

squicken

I read this just a bit ago and it was everything I hoped it would be.

Snyder’s thrillingly intelligent use of interior conflict and political antagonism vastly outclasses Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises — all noxious — which were bellwethers of our culture’s decline.

The best trolls are mostly true

Saw Batman vs Superman.......unmitigated garbage. What a bloated mess of a movie. It's everything wrong with Man of Steel amplified x 10.

Batman in this movie was my favorite part. It's a darker Batman then usual, and I look forward to a possible solo movie.
By darker you mean he's just a homocidal thug with Gatling guns on his car to rip people to shreds with and a machine gun in hand when it's convenient.

It's a 14 year olds fan fiction version of the character at best. So right up Zack Snyders alley.

At least Gal looked amazing in what few scenes she's in. So there's that....

I legitimately hated the last Superman movie so i don't have high expectations for BvS. I think I'm going to see it on Sunday but with Gata and BG endorsing it.... I'm scared.

Preview of ESPNS new 30 for 30 about Cleveland sports struggles. It's entitled believedland. I believe it gonna air on like the one Saturday with no playoff basketball when that starts. I think ESPN is hoping for some Cavs lock with the air date...
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15060261

Saw Batman vs Superman.......unmitigated garbage. What a bloated mess of a movie. It's everything wrong with Man of Steel amplified x 10.

By darker you mean he's just a homocidal thug with Gatling guns on his car to rip people to shreds with and a machine gun in hand when it's convenient.

It's a 14 year olds fan fiction version of the character at best. So right up Zack Snyders alley.

At least Gal looked amazing in what few scenes she's in. So there's that....
Hey you either like it or you don't. Tons of different batman interpretations. I personally liked this portrayal of batman, won't be for everyone. Just like the movie I could how see how ppl don't like it, but I personally found enjoyment from it.

Top Bottom