• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Steelers have had the same GM (Kevin Colbert) for 16 years and head coach (Mike Tomlin) for 9 years. This makes predicting their drafts much easier. With that, I present:

Steelers 2016 Draft Primer

Picks: 25 1-25, 58 2-27, 89 3-26, 123 4-25, 220 6-45, 229 7-8, 246 7-25

Needs: Defense, all positions (CB, S, DL, EDGE, ILB)

What might the Pittsburgh Steelers do in the 2016 NFL draft? Let's examine the issues.

The Steelers own one of the most prolific and explosive offenses in the league. Their defense is bad in places, young and lacking in depth.

Don't listen to the pundits who simply look at recent issues and try and plug a player into their mocks. Despite the suspension of Martavis Bryant and the loss of Kelvin Beachum in free agency, the Steelers are just fine at both of their positions. In fact, after the beginning portion of free agency, I'd guess that 20 of the 25 offensive roster spots are mortal locks (barring injuries). Sure, there will be some battles at the end of the roster, like third tight end or fifth wide reciever, but there are no needs. The only true open spot on the offensive roster is backup quarterback; I suspect Pittsburgh will sign a cheap vet if they don't draft a developmental guy.

The defensive side of the roster is another story, altogether. Sure, there aren't any obvious holes but there are plenty of spots that need improvement. There is little depth on the defensive line and an opening at nose tackle. The outside linebacker position needs someone ready to take James Harrison's spot and possibly Jarvis Jones', as well. Lawrence Timmons is entering the final season on his contract at inside linebacker. The cornerbacks are underwhelming, although last year's second round pick, Senquez Golson will be able to play this season. Strong safety also needs an upgrade.

With all of this said, I expect the Steelers to select the best available defensive player, not only with their first round pick, but probably with 5 or 6 of their 7 total picks. Offensively, the Steelers have been showing a lot of interest in some lower end qb's and tackles. I could see them using a fourth and a sixth on these positions.

Some notes on how the Steelers draft:

They rarely take small school (non Power 5 conference) guys in the first round. The last being Ben Roethlisberger in 2004.

They haven't drafted a cornerback in the first round since 1997.

There has been a new found focus on athleticism in drafting.

Won't be averse to picking up players who seem to be 'falling' in the draft.

A lot of packers gaf understandably cheered for the pats but where did that get them

Bucket left for greener pastures, ez got banned and wienke turned into the biggest degenerate in this thread
The SB was ruled invalid due to cheating.

Best possible outcome, all things considered

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This will be the first time I've seen 3 Packer fans post on the same page in forever!

Our numbers have dwindled a lot...

Damn Toronto...I'm still rooting for you but damn...

This will be the first time I've seen 3 Packer fans post on the same page in forever!

Our numbers have dwindled a lot...

There are still a disproportionate amount of you.

75% of people in America are Cowboy fans and I wish that were reflected in this thread

Peter KingVerified account
‏@SI_PeterKing
Confirming that Cowboys worked out Jared Goff in Berkeley this morning. Jerry Jones+Jason Garrett there. Jones reportedly loved what he saw.

Number 1 pick to be traded twice for the first time in history

Also RBH, I'm going to ignore that shade at the top of the page and just ask you what the hell this is:

CgL7gHgUMAEXMv-.jpg:large

cdyhybrid

Peter KingVerified account
‏@SI_PeterKing
Confirming that Cowboys worked out Jared Goff in Berkeley this morning. Jerry Jones+Jason Garrett there. Jones reportedly loved what he saw.

Number 1 pick to be traded twice for the first time in history

Also RBH, I'm going to ignore that shade at the top of the page and just ask you what the hell this is:

Atlanta is :squickening to the Seahawks and wanted to celebrate the upcoming Color Rush uniforms :^)

Ok so SkLA when you get a chance, here is what I think our biggest needs are in order

Guards
CBs
LBs
DE
RB
DT
WR

obviously we aren't going for guard with the 13th pick and ideally I'd like to trade down from 13 into the twenties for some extra picks and then I'd fill comfortable picking up a guard but I know we can't so I think CB and DE might be our target for 13. Let me know what you think I'll start getting some names together too.

MechDX

Think that Twitter account is full of Shit. Where the Titans logo? Why is the Rams color a blue when yesterday he tweeted out a picture of them in yellow?

Think that Twitter account is full of Shit. Where the Titans logo? Why is the Rams color a blue when yesterday he tweeted out a picture of them in yellow?

Yet you keep posting his info, that orange is less bright than what I thought the dolphins would get, might look ok but I'd rather they would have gone with aqua/teal
or the throwbacks damn it

I made some poor choices yesterday

Let's talk about... tea!! I had some chai today, it was delish, and nutrish (?)

I'm here for you rando!!

MechDX

Yet you keep posting his info, that orange is less bright than what I thought the dolphins would get, might look ok but I'd rather they would have gone with aqua/teal
or the throwbacks damn it

I'm here for you rando!!

I post it just to bug you. You commented so its working.

RBH

Volt Green t-shirts baby!

I fucking hate this lime green horseshit that they added to their color scheme this season. Wish they would've just stuck with red and white.

Ok so SkLA when you get a chance, here is what I think our biggest needs are in order

Guards
CBs
LBs
DE
RB
DT
WR

obviously we aren't going for guard with the 13th pick and ideally I'd like to trade down from 13 into the twenties for some extra picks and then I'd fill comfortable picking up a guard but I know we can't so I think CB and DE might be our target for 13. Let me know what you think I'll start getting some names together too.

Even with Maxwell, I think CBs are a bigger priority than guards, but from what I've seen this is looking like a pretty deep draft for CBs, so going with Guard in the first round might make sense.

Ideally, trading down from the 10-20 position is always a good thing, tho I doubt it will happen. Some names I pulled from the CBs are William Jackson III, Mackensie Alexander, and Vernon Hargreaves as probably the three best of the draft. I'd appreciate some names for guards and linebackers as I haven't seen much from those positions in the draft yet.

I post it just to bug you. You commented so its working.

You totally get me <3

Even with Maxwell, I think CBs are a bigger priority than guards, but from what I've seen this is looking like a pretty deep draft for CBs, so going with Guard in the first round might make sense.

Ideally, trading down from the 10-20 position is always a good thing, tho I doubt it will happen. Some names I pulled from the CBs are William Jackson III, Mackensie Alexander, and Vernon Hargreaves as probably the three best of the draft. I'd appreciate some names for guards and linebackers as I haven't seen much from those positions in the draft yet.

Well for the mock draft since we can't trade we really shouldn't concentrate too much on guards, but Tannebaum is trying to collect draft picks for 2017 so if one of the top guys on their board is gone by 13 I wouldn't be surprised if they move down. Some of the IOL I've been looking at have been Max Tuerk, Vadal Alexander and Evan Boehm but I've also heard of some tackles (Jack Conklin) being moved to guard.

For CBs those are the top 3 but I'd also add Eli Apple. I like both Apple and Jackson because of their height...I'm tired of short CBs....it would be hard to say no to Hargreaves if he's there though, but my favorites so far would be Jackson or Apple.

For LBs we have the usual Jaylon Smith/Myles Jack, two other names are Darron Lee or Ragland for Miami, I'm not sold one any of the LBs honestly, I hate to say it but I think we're better off staying with Misi/Jenkins/Alonso and picking up someone in the later rounds.

For DE I'm not sold on Bosa, I think I'd rather go with Buckner or Lawson at 13. I would prefer a CB at 13 but if not then DE would be the next best pick imo.

Top Bottom