• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
BG I'm sorry for everything please destroy the Kave and do what is right and make sure those country ass bumpkins don't win an NBA title.

#TeamBG

How dare you.

Toronto actually had pretty damn good fans.

Especially love their Sikh cheerleader.

Thank you bionic. Our fanbase is great, how many other teams would be able to fill a square outside their arena for an entire game like we do?

bionic77

Thank you bionic. Our fanbase is great, how many other teams would be able to fill a square outside their arena for an entire game like we do?
I always appreciate good fans.

GS has seemingly always had good fans so it was nice that they were rewarded.

OKC in general has good fans but that is a weird situation and I don't know how to feel about it.

I have been watching basketball for a long ass time and the Raptor fans always seem to show up. Even if their team doesn't.

On the other hand I know for a fact that Cleveland never gave two shits about basketball until Lebron came on the scene. Though the city has suffered tremendously so it would be cool if they got a treat instead of the blizzard of shit they have lived in for the past 50+ years. I lived outside of the Cleve in the 90s and everyone was as a diehard Browns and Indians fan. Literally every broken down shitty house had either or both a Browns or a Indians flag on their nasty front lawns. But no one gave a fuck about the Cavs. We used to get cheap as fuck tickets for the good teams and watch them in the lower bowl. I can proudly say that I saw fat magic in his prime. We should have won that game but I will always blame Elden Campbell for that loss. I was always against him because he did not run or move like a human being. Its the only explanation for how a team with Magic Johnson, Cedric Ceballos and Nick Van Exel could lose. I don't remember a single player from the Cavs and I am pretty sure no one in the Cleve does either!

I also saw the Bulls that year and am proud to say that I did not throw up and a little ashamed to say that I did not throw any of the batteries I brought. :(

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222824

That thread title and the comments so far :lol

Oh go on then!

6ILQy0O.jpg

:jnc

jbug617

Banned
Congress report found the NFL tried to intervene and influence a concussion study that the government was doing. NFL wanted someone else to do the study and not the guy the government picked.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ened-brain-research-cost-taxpayers-16-million

The 91-page report describes how the NFL pressured the National Institutes of Health to strip the $16 million project from a prominent Boston University researcher and tried to redirect the money to members of the league's committee on brain injuries. The study was to have been funded out of a $30 million "unrestricted gift" the NFL gave the NIH in 2012.

After the NIH rebuffed the NFL's campaign to remove Robert Stern, an expert in neurodegenerative disease who has criticized the league, the NFL backed out of a signed agreement to pay for the study, the report shows. Taxpayers ended up bearing the cost instead.

The NFL's actions violated policies that prohibit private donors from interfering in the NIH peer-review process, the report concludes, and were part of a "long-standing pattern of attempts" by the league to shape concussion research for its own purposes.

"In this instance, our investigation has shown that while the NFL had been publicly proclaiming its role as funder and accelerator of important research, it was privately attempting to influence that research," the report states.

Democratic members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce launched the investigation in December after Outside the Lines reported that the NFL backed out of the seven-year study, which aims to find methods for detecting -- in living patients -- chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, a disease found in dozens of deceased NFL players.

The report also shows:

• The co-chairman of the NFL's committee on brain injuries, Dr. Richard Ellenbogen, was one of the league's "primary advocates" opposing Stern, even though Ellenbogen had applied for the same grant and stood to benefit personally. Ellenbogen previously denied to Outside the Lines that he tried to influence the NIH, but the report sharply criticizes his actions.

• The NFL was warned that taxpayers would have to bear the cost of the $16 million study and that the NIH would be "unable to fund other meritorious research for several years" if the league backed out. The NFL offered a last-minute, $2 million payment after an intermediary suggested a partial contribution would "help dampen criticism." The NIH turned down the offer.

• Even after an NIH review panel upheld the award to Stern, the NFL sought to funnel the $16 million to another project that would involve members of the league's brain injury committee. The plan would have allowed the NFL researchers to avoid the NIH's rigorous peer-review process. NIH Director Francis Collins rejected the idea.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I always appreciate good fans.

GS has seemingly always had good fans so it was nice that they were rewarded.

OKC in general has good fans but that is a weird situation and I don't know how to feel about it.

I have been watching basketball for a long ass time and the Raptor fans always seem to show up. Even if their team doesn't.

On the other hand I know for a fact that Cleveland never gave two shits about basketball until Lebron came on the scene. Though the city has suffered tremendously so it would be cool if they got a treat instead of the blizzard of shit they have lived in for the past 50+ years. I lived outside of the Cleve in the 90s and everyone was as a diehard Browns and Indians fan. Literally every broken down shitty house had either or both a Browns or a Indians flag on their nasty front lawns. But no one gave a fuck about the Cavs. We used to get cheap as fuck tickets for the good teams and watch them in the lower bowl. I can proudly say that I saw fat magic in his prime. We should have won that game but I will always blame Elden Campbell for that loss. I was always against him because he did not run or move like a human being. Its the only explanation for how a team with Magic Johnson, Cedric Ceballos and Nick Van Exel could lose. I don't remember a single player from the Cavs and I am pretty sure no one in the Cleve does either!

I also saw the Bulls that year and am proud to say that I did not throw up and a little ashamed to say that I did not throw any of the batteries I brought. :(

This playoff run hopefully is going to do a lot for the grassroots movement here in Canada for basketball. One of our biggest hurdles here has always been Canadians care more about hockey than anything else. To the point if they feel anything threatens hockey they will just outright hate it. Plus add in the TV stations give zero fucks about basketball as well.

There are tons of people up here who only hate basketball because they feel threatened that it could take away from hockey.

We got our first surge when Vince came to the Raps and took us a shot away from the conference finals. Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas and many more were all little kids when it happened and they all credit Vince as being a big reason for why they fell in love with bball.

This one is hopefully going to bring over the next generation, part that sucks is we have to wait another decade+ before we see the benefit from this. But well worth it, I'm looking forward to when I'm in my 50s and 60s and seeing basketball be a huge sport across Canada.

BigAT

This playoff run hopefully is going to do a lot for the grassroots movement here in Canada for basketball. One of our biggest hurdles here has always been Canadians care more about hockey than anything else. To the point if they feel anything threatens hockey they will just outright hate it. Plus add in the TV stations give zero fucks about basketball as well.

There are tons of people up here who only hate basketball because they feel threatened that it could take away from hockey.

We got our first surge when Vince came to the Raps and took us a shot away from the conference finals. Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas and many more were all little kids when it happened and they all credit Vince as being a big reason for why they fell in love with bball.

This one is hopefully going to bring over the next generation, part that sucks is we have to wait another decade+ before we see the benefit from this. But well worth it, I'm looking forward to when I'm in my 50s and 60s and seeing basketball be a huge sport across Canada.

For every Canadian child that Vince Carter got interested in basketball, Andrea Bargnani caused them to toss their sneakers in the back of the closet.

bionic77

It is weird. Basketball seems to be more popular and making way more money than it ever has before.

And honestly the product has been kind of shitty this year. If it were not for GS getting 73 wins I would have said this season was a disaster for the most part and the playoffs have shown that to be the case as well.

On your Raptors, it was fun seeing Bimbo get 10 rebounds in a quarter or whatever he got in that first quarter. I love seeing people dominate without the ball in their hands. It is pretty rare and really hard to sustain, but fun while it is happening.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

It'd be nice but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The Greatest Show on Turf didn't save football in St. Louis which is overwhelmingly a baseball town. It will take sustained success for a decade or better to create a die hard fanbase sadly when one sport is ingrained as much as it is.

Speaking of Saint Louis, apparently we'll be moving there by the end of June! For everyone who was wondering when I was moving to Cinncitucky or wherever. I'm going to be happier than a pig in stink once winter rolls around.

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22s23 seconds ago
Hits keep coming: Now Jaguars' 7th-round pick, DE Jonathan Woodard, has suffered season-ending injury, tearing his Achilles, per source.

Jags officially cursed. Spending time in Houston every year is getting to them. Would explain Luck last season as well.

#FreeBort

bionic77

It'd be nice but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The Greatest Show on Turf didn't save football in St. Louis which is overwhelmingly a baseball town. It will take sustained success for a decade or better to create a die hard fanbase sadly when one sport is ingrained as much as it is.

Speaking of Saint Louis, apparently we'll be moving there by the end of June! For everyone who was wondering when I was moving to Cinncitucky or wherever. I'm going to be happier than a pig in stink once winter rolls around.
Where are you moving from?

Moving when you are older is the worst by the way.

I miss being in college when I could shove all of my possessions into a small car.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Where are you moving from?

Moving when you are older is the worst by the way.

I miss being in college when I could shove all of my possessions into a small car.

Houston so I'll miss a few things like the shopping, amenities, and the food.

My girlfriend's work is picking up the tab on the move and even pays for storage for everything while we look for a house. Not sure if that involves packing and unpacking or just loading, unloading, and transport though.

MechDX

My girlfriend's work is picking up the tab on the move and even pays for storage for everything while we look for a house. Not sure if that involves packing and unpacking or just loading, unloading, and transport though.

Run wienke run! The ships going down and its taking everyone with it!

These teams are officially in the "fucked" category now:

Chicago
KC
Detroit
San Diego (sorry Bread)
Cincinnati

All have games at Houston.

RBH

I'll be in Chicago by July.

..........so that means that I'll be geographically closer to wienke than ever before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHRMeRszw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMGsRmZTFQ

@AdamSchefter
Hits keep coming: Now Jaguars' 7th-round pick, DE Jonathan Woodard, has suffered season-ending injury, tearing his Achilles, per source.

bionic77

Only been to St. Louis once to go to a wedding and honestly did not love the city, but I assume you will live in the burbs which for the most part are all the same everywhere.

Packing depends on how much stuff you have and if you are using a moving company on the movers. You can really get fucked by a bad company but they all seem to have mixed reviews so its probably a crapshoot. Clothes were the easiest as I recall and plates and small fragile shit was the worst. My wife has collected a shit ton of plates on top of the ones we got when my mom died so that was a huge pain in the ass. Can't believe none of them broke...

Good luck on the move though! Try not to get killed!

MechDX

Idzik continuing his tradition of drafting injured bums on the cheap

To be fair achilles/hamstrings/ACL/MCL etc... are not really injuries you can predict. They just happen.

Now I firmly believe there may be some supernatural, black magic voodoo shit going on

Big news day

Panthers 2015 first-round pick Shaq Thompson’s car crossed the center line Sunday morning and hit another car, leaving another area football player injured.

According to Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, Thompson was charged with driving left of center after a crash which sent former Duke quarterback Anthony Boone to the hospital.

He was driving in the suburbs south of Charlotte at 7:45 a.m. Sunday when he collided with Boone’s car head-on. Police said alcohol was involved, but not a factor in the crash. The fact Thompson wasn’t charged with anything suggests either he was below North Carolina’s legal limit, or it was involved in some other way other than affecting a driver.

Fox318

To be fair achilles/hamstrings/ACL/MCL etc... are not really injuries you can predict. They just happen.

Now I firmly believe there may be some supernatural, black magic voodoo shit going on

he had 12 draft picks for the jets and nearly all of the wound up getting injured

I will come visit! Winky and Boban going to hit up my old haunts and paint the town red.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

:(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Run wienke run! The ships going down and its taking everyone with it!

These teams are officially in the "fucked" category now:

Chicago
KC
Detroit
San Diego (sorry Bread)
Cincinnati

All have games at Houston.

Oil and gas is a sinking ship for sure. My girlfriend was super lucky to get approximately the same salary that Chevron was paying her. Others that are leaving the industry are often not so lucky because oil and gas takes a normal salary and tacks on 30-50% extra.

I'll be in Chicago by July.

..........so that means that I'll be geographically closer to wienke than ever before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHRMeRszw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMGsRmZTFQ

I'm not too happy about that either. Why can't you just stay in that hot hell hole year round!

Only been to St. Louis once to go to a wedding and honestly did not love the city, but I assume you will live in the burbs which for the most part are all the same everywhere.

Packing depends on how much stuff you have and if you are using a moving company on the movers. You can really get fucked by a bad company but they all seem to have mixed reviews so its probably a crapshoot. Clothes were the easiest as I recall and plates and small fragile shit was the worst. My wife has collected a shit ton of plates on top of the ones we got when my mom died so that was a huge pain in the ass. Can't believe none of them broke...

Good luck on the move though! Try not to get killed!

Yeah I didn't care for anything that's actually in the city. The suburbs looked really nice way out on the west side (which is where the campus is located for my girlfriend's work fortunately). The trick will be for me to find some sort of accounting job out in the burbs also so I don't have to go downtown. Many of the houses have finished basements which will be amazing for a man cave to hang Packers stuff and keep the sun at bay.

I personally don't own much shit but I moved in here from a one bedroom apartment where I didn't have much after that divorce from a few years back. She, on the other hand, has three bedrooms full of furniture, an entire kitchen, etc. etc.

Since it's summer I imagine, worst case scenario, we hire some immigrants to load and unload the truck. I'm a big dude but the idea of my tiny girlfriend helping me move couches and shit....yeah no.

I will come visit! Winky and Boban going to hit up my old haunts and paint the town red.

....but I don't like cricket

cdyhybrid

Oil and gas is a sinking ship for sure. My girlfriend was super lucky to get approximately the same salary that Chevron was paying her. Others that are leaving the industry are often not so lucky because oil and gas takes a normal salary and tacks on 30-50% extra.

I'm not too happy about that either. Why can't you just stay in that hot hell hole year round!

Yeah I didn't care for anything that's actually in the city. The suburbs looked really nice way out on the west side (which is where the campus is located for my girlfriend's work fortunately). The trick will be for me to find some sort of accounting job out in the burbs also so I don't have to go downtown. Many of the houses have finished basements which will be amazing for a man cave to hang Packers stuff and keep the sun at bay.

I personally don't own much shit but I moved in here from a one bedroom apartment where I didn't have much after that divorce from a few years back. She, on the other hand, has three bedrooms full of furniture, an entire kitchen, etc. etc.

Since it's summer I imagine, worst case scenario, we hire some immigrants to load and unload the truck. I'm a big dude but the idea of my tiny girlfriend helping me move couches and shit....yeah no.

Why would you hang Packers stuff? Unless your girl is a Packers fan.

MechDX

1) You just abandon your Texan fandom? Whore.

2) Racist. Get him Dega

Why would you hang Packers stuff? Unless your girl is a Packers fan.

If this is the same girl from a while back she is a Texan fan......Wienke will have to bust out his #99 jersey for the roleplaying

Top Bottom