• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 17 |OT| Miami has the Dolphins...the Greatest football team...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's why I never put my heart into ragging on the 2nd round kicker. I knew in my heart, after years of seeing Hack play, the moment he was taken the real 2nd round bust was clear

If he starts anywhere in the league, the team he starts for is thinking about the following year and giving up on the present.

Yeah a team traded up into the 2nd rd to take a terrible kicker and its still not the worst 2nd rd pick this year. I was so bummed when the Jets took Hack because he was garbage in college... and it turns out hes still garbage. Go figure.

I really don't get not playing him though. If you're already writing him off completely, which you're doing by going back to Fitz yet again, then at least let him play his way off the team before you draft yet another QB early in this draft. You aren't fooling anyone to trade for him by not playing him, everyone else in the league knows hes trash when you're playing Petty and Fitz ahead of him.

Dude looked lost against 4th stringers in the pre-season.

No chance.

Pretty much, yeah.

In a league where EJ Manuel, Matt Barkley, Tom Savage, AND McGloin are starting, it should be extremely telling to even the most hopeful fans that Hack still sits, and no beat writer is saying it's unwarranted.

Yup, they couldn't communicate at all, they were fucking lost all the time, they had no idea who had who when they had to switch off in match zone, just a mess. Two straight years of this, you didn't see it as much the last half of the year because Rex stopped blitzing.

To be fair, when Schwartz first came in there was a bunch of miscommunication in the secondary but they cleaned it up by the 4th game. No excuse for the mess we had the last couple of years, it was pathetic.
See I figured the players not learning the system was the case..I just expected it to improve in year 2.

What's your opinion of Whaley?
Jets are a dumpster fire, not a great backbone for your Matt Moore argument. If you're saying Tannehill isn't a top 10 QB in the NFL then... yeah? I mean, okay? Dolphins fans know this. He's shown a lot of progress under Gase, though.

It's hard to give up on a guy when he has the talent and physical skills Tannehill has. You can see a potential ceiling and you want to know if he can get there. As long as he's trending upward I'm on board, and my eyes tell me that's still the case.

By the way, he put the team on his back and won them a few games this year. Chargers and Rams come to mind among others. "Winning in spite of" is absolutely absurd and frankly makes me want to stop discussing this with you.

You know the only reason I keep bringing Tannehill up is because I feel sometime soon (my guess is next season) if Tannehill doesn't shw a marked improvement Gase is going to start burying him and calling for the Dolphins to draft another QB. Again, i'm not a fan and I don't watch a ton of Dolphins games but from what i've seen Gase started thriving when he de emphasized Tannehill in the passing game. It also seems the complaining from Dolphins fans about their 'worst in the league' offensive line has decreased with only a few token changes among the line.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So what are the likely spots to be open?

Jags
Bills

Chargers
Jets
Bears?

I would be surprised if the Jets actually fired Bowles sadly enough. Dude deserves to be fired, he is god awful but the Jets will give him another year to run it into the ground some more.

You know the only reason I keep bringing Tannehill up is because I feel sometime soon (my guess is next season) if Tannehill doesn't shw a marked improvement Gase is going to start burying him and calling for the Dolphins to draft another QB. Again, i'm not a fan and I don't watch a ton of Dolphins games but from what i've seen Gase started thriving when he de emphasized Tannehill in the passing game. It also seems the complaining from Dolphins fans about their 'worst in the league' offensive line has decreased with only a few token changes among the line.
Dolphins offensive line in 2016:

LT - 1st round draft pick and pro bowler Branden Albert (injured most of last year)
LG - 1st round draft pick Laremy Tunsil (rookie)
C - 1st round draft pick Mike Pouncey (when he's not hurt)
RG - former pro bowl LT Jermon Bushrod
RT - 1st round draft pick Ju'Wuan James (2nd season)

Token changes, lolol. Deacon, please stop. Just stop.

In 4 out of the last 5 games he's had 100+ yards and is going to break 1000 on the season. That's not exactly what I'd call joke production
He's only gone over 100 yards 5 times all year, only has 4 TDs, has not had a single game over 7 catches.

LJ11

Not to mentioned what he did to Steph. Yeah, he was never the most physical guy but you at least saw effort there.

He turned into a mewling coward once Rex showed up, dude has been terrified of contact all year and it's so bizarre.

Gilmore was a physical guy who loved to tackle until he blew up his shoulder. Guy has a history of injuries and he's going into the year without a contract, I know exactly what happened to Gilmore, lol.

See I figured the players not learning the system was the case..I just expected it to improve in year 2.

I'm mixed about Whaley, his drafts haven't been good and he was involved with the EJ move, which was the dumbest shit I've seen, I wanted to fucking off myself when they took him. Made some good personnel moves though, Hughes, McCoy, Zach Brown played a good half year, Incognito. Needs to do better in the draft, but ultimately, he's telling the coach who to play and that doesn't sit right with me, he's meddling too much.

Hindl

Niners take a $5 million dead cap if he's cut or if Kaep opts out then nothing is paid.

Seriously, our offense is a dumpster fire.

Same here, perfect "Chip" QB.

Kaep restructured so he would be a free agent at the end of the year.

Shit that's nothing. Not sure Kaep gets another position, I feel like Chip would rather Tyrod over Kaep. Cursory glance looks like 49ers have a lot of cap space, so there might be an Eagles 2015 FA spending spree happening in SF this year, though hopefully it goes better this time around.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Texans 2017 opponents:

I should do it!

Mech just letting you know now I will not have any hard feelings the week the Browns and Texans face each other when you suddenly turn heel and powerslam me through a table.

Underrated coach all in all.

I wonder if Hue might not get Marvin to help out a bit in the Cleve. Not hired as an actual coach but an advisor could work.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Fuck football.

Fuck the Chiefs

Fuck the Raiders

Fuck everything.

Go Dolphins, or something

BigAT

He's only gone over 100 yards 5 times all year, only has 4 TDs, has not had a single game over 7 catches.

He's not as good as Reuben Randle, that's for sure.

I wonder if Hue might not get Marvin to help out a bit in the Cleve. Not hired as an actual coach but an advisor could work.

Lewis could advise them on how not to win playoff games if the Browns weren't already so good at it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
CzuZtIMW8AAUKRI.jpg:large

Look at that fucking murderer's row. I'm convinced.

1. That's not accurate at all, I read/watch more dolphins film breakdown than anyone here and I assure you that isn't the case, Gase has had to limit the offense now with Moore in.

2. That's because they've been healthy with the exception of Pouncey since week 6? We've had Albert/Tunsil/Steen/Bushrod/James for most of the last 10 weeks?

They have given up 40 sacks this year where last year they were already in the 60s....funny how that works out, our line stabilizes and Tannehills game improves and we go on a 9-1 run.

Maybe Darkest and I weren't talking out of our asses the last few years? Hmmmm

Jesus this year is fucking depressing..

Anyway.. the decision that got Rex fired was the one he was right on.. wow..

And it was disrespectful to do it on twitter.. smh.. If they throw out Manuel and he bombs.. Whaley's ass needs to go because we know what we get with EJ. If he were to say throw out Cardale or something.. that might make some sense.. But EJ.. Jesus.

And The Brown Family needs to try and get Marvin to stay on in some capacity so Mike doesn't need to get involved with the team wholesale.

Mech just letting you know now I will not have any hard feelings the week the Browns and Texans face each other when you suddenly turn heel and powerslam me through a table.

If we brought Marvin upstairs to help with the Draft.. I would be very happy with that.

Geez the Bills are a mess. I get firing Rex, and even covering their ass on Tyrod. but who needs to see more of EJ Manuel? I would guess they will fire Whaley after the draft

If Tyrod gets hurt they're on the hook for a bunch of money.

I'm not really into football but I care enough b/c a lot of friends/family are die hards. I'm glad Rex is gone. I thought he was a mistake that they brought him in and argued a lot of family and friends about the hire. Hopefully Whaley is fired as well. The entire house needs to be cleaned and start fresh. Aim for 3/4 years from now when Tom and Bill are out of the conference.

1. That's not accurate at all, I read/watch more dolphins film breakdown than anyone here and I assure you that isn't the case, Gase has had to limit the offense now with Moore in.

2. That's because they've been healthy with the exception of Pouncey since week 6? We've had Albert/Tunsil/Steen/Bushrod/James for most of the last 10 weeks?

They have given up 40 sacks this year where last year they were already in the 60s....funny how that works out, our line stabilizes and Tannehills game improves and we go on a 9-1 run.

Maybe Darkest and I weren't talking out of our asses the last few years? Hmmmm
Somewhat related, the 2016 draft class has been pretty great so far. Tunsil is a stud in the making, Howard has shown some promise, and Drake brings a nice speed element to the backfield. I still don't get the Carroo pick but maybe he'll play a more prominent role if Stills leaves this offseason.

2017 needs to be almost all defense, though... LBs please!

Jesus this year is fucking depressing..

Anyway.. the decision that got Rex fired was the one he was right on.. wow..

And it was disrespectful to do it on twitter.. smh.. If they throw out Manuel and he bombs.. Whaley's ass needs to go because we know what we get with EJ. If he were to say throw out Cardale or something.. that might make some sense.. But EJ.. Jesus.

EJ's terrible but sitting Cardale makes sense. Mariota and Carr just got randomly hurt and that was during them playing games that matter. If you have any hopes of not only keeping, but possibly starting, Cardale in the 2017 season, you can't risk him getting hurt on a game that doesn't matter.

So what are the likely spots to be open?

Jags
Bills

Chargers
Jets
Bears?

Bengals with news of Lewis retiring.

Edit - there's also a rumor that Kubiak might retire given his health issues. Can't imagine being hospitalized every year with some sort of heart condition is something you wanna keep doing, and coaching in the NFL is high stress. Dude has made bank, has his rings ... retire and enjoy life.

squicken

If Tyrod gets hurt they're on the hook for a bunch of money.

I'm not really into football but I care enough b/c a lot of friends/family are die hards. I'm glad Rex is gone. I thought he was a mistake that they brought him in and argued a lot of family and friends about the hire. Hopefully Whaley is fired as well. The entire house needs to be cleaned and start fresh. Aim for 3/4 years from now when Tom and Bill are out of the conference.

Contracts for personnel people usually run until after the draft, so it is impossible to hire away anyone from another team until then. I cannot imagine them keeping Doug Whaley beyond that. But I have read stories from the Buffalo media that the owners really like Whaley, so who knows?

Dolphins offensive line in 2016:

LT - 1st round draft pick and pro bowler Branden Albert (injured most of last year)
LG - 1st round draft pick Laremy Tunsil (rookie)
C - 1st round draft pick Mike Pouncey (when he's not hurt)
RG - former pro bowl LT Jermon Bushrod
RT - 1st round draft pick Ju'Wuan James (2nd season)

Token changes, lolol. Deacon, please stop. Just stop.

Albert, Pouncey, and James were all Dolphins last season too. Albert started 14 games last season.

Somewhat related, the 2016 draft class has been pretty great so far. Tunsil is a stud in the making, Howard has shown some promise, and Drake brings a nice speed element to the backfield. I still don't get the Carroo pick but maybe he'll play a more prominent role if Stills leaves this offseason.

2017 needs to be almost all defense, though... LBs please!

I think they got him because they weren't sure on Stills but after Stills great year I doubt they'll let him walk so Carroo might just be an extra body for another year or so, which sucks but it is what it is and yeah we need all defense in 2017 the offense is set minus some depth at the line.

Yeah but...how many INTs does tanny have in the red zone?

Hint: Mariota has 0.

I'm not sure but it's not a lot

MechDX

Won't happen friend. We both win.

+1 Browns and the season hasn't even started yet

Albert, Pouncey, and James were all Dolphins last season too. Albert started 14 games last season.
They had absolute trash guards last season which I said over and over. Drafting Tunsil and adding Bushrod has been absolutely massive. Like I've told you before, it's okay to admit you don't know everything.

Coaching could play a part as well. All in all the pass protection has been much, much better this season. No comparison.

They had absolute trash guards last season which I said over and over. Drafting Tunsil and adding Bushrod has been absolutely massive. Like I've told you before, it's okay to admit you don't know everything.

Coaching could play a part as well. All in all the pass protection has been much, much better this season. No comparison.

The play design this year compared to last has been a revelation as well, they actually help the oline with play design and RB/TE blocking. Under Philbin the RB would rarely stay in to help block, it was ridiculous.

?

It also seems the complaining from Dolphins fans about their 'worst in the league' offensive line has decreased with only a few token changes among the line.

I think 2 players counts as 'a few token changes'.

On a separate tangent, it's funny to hear about how Incognito is thriving in Buffalo after being trashed in Miami before bullygate. Coaching goes a long way.

j-wood

I think they got him because they weren't sure on Stills but after Stills great year I doubt they'll let him walk so Carroo might just be an extra body for another year or so, which sucks but it is what it is and yeah we need all defense in 2017 the offense is set minus some depth at the line.

I'm not sure but it's not a lot

Just this year Mariota was 18 TD and 0 INT (career he's like 37 TD, 0 INT).

Tanny this year is 5 TD and 0 INT (career he's at 3 INT).

Not bad, but he's no Mariota :)

?

I think 2 players counts as 'a few token changes'.

On a separate tangent, it's funny to hear about how Incognito is thriving in Buffalo after being trashed in Miami before bullygate. Coaching goes a long way.

Ok you must live in a different reality then because Incognito was good while here and we lamented losing him over such stupid nonsense, he was really good as a run blocker too and we sorely missed that right after he left.

Most Dolphin fans liked him and wanted him back, we all turned on the other guy, whatever his name was, he was the one that was god awful and wasn't missed.

I love Mariota, super bummed about how you guys' season ended. :(

Hopefully he comes back strong next season with an even better roster around him. I still don't have much faith in Mularkey but the personnel department for the Titans has been killing it lately. Keep building!

chris, brother, please make him stop. I can't anymore, I just can't.

Yeah I think he's either delusional or just plain trolling at this point, I'm done as well.

Wow that is not bad at all lol but INT have never been an issue with Tannehill so I guess I can't be too surprised, that insane for Mariota though sucks about his injury I really like him and hope he comes back better next year.

MechDX

I call bullshit on these "the coach didn't want him" stories with unnamed sources.

This isnt the first time this season this has been "leaked". Kind of sheds new light on owner McNair's comment of "It was a gutsy call (to insert Savage in the jags game) that Im glad I didnt have to make".

Way I see it:

BOB told McNair he cant win with Osweiler around midseason.
McNair told him to make a decision but he better be right or face consequences
BOB was pretty damn emotional Saturday night after the Bengals game. Hopkins stated he was almost in tears afterwards in the locker room. Then BOB proceeded to body a reporter in the post game presser when he started to ask about the offense deficiencies

I dont know. We will see

bigosc2k

Banned
Shit that's nothing. Not sure Kaep gets another position, I feel like Chip would rather Tyrod over Kaep. Cursory glance looks like 49ers have a lot of cap space, so there might be an Eagles 2015 FA spending spree happening in SF this year, though hopefully it goes better this time around.

Right now I see Denver in the Tyrod sweepstakes if Dallas asks to much for Tony Romo. I see Kaep will probably opt out and go to the Jets if they offered him a contract which I think the Jets owner is not to fond of Kaep and his protest.

Ok you must live in a different reality then because Incognito was good while here and we lamented losing him over such stupid nonsense, he was really good as a run blocker too and we sorely missed that right after he left.

Most Dolphin fans liked him and wanted him back, we all turned on the other guy, whatever his name was, he was the one that was god awful and wasn't missed.

I'm not talking about you guys trashing Incognito. I know you liked him. But I remember a lot of people shitting on him as part of the o-line issues. I have a friend who's a dolphins fan and he wanted Incognito run out of town before Bullygate ever went down.

This isnt the first time this season this has been "leaked". Kind of sheds new light on owner McNair's comment of "It was a gutsy call (to insert Savage in the jags game) that Im glad I didnt have to make".

Way I see it:

BOB told McNair he cant win with Osweiler around midseason.
McNair told him to make a decision but he better be right or face consequences
BOB was pretty damn emotional Saturday night after the Bengals game. Hopkins stated he was almost in tears afterwards in the locker room. Then BOB proceeded to body a reporter in the post game presser when he started to ask about the offense deficiencies

I dont know. We will see

We will, but i'll always remember BoB as the guy who let Mallett hang around after he went AWOL the day after losing the start to Hoyer. That really lost him a lot of points in my book.

I'm not talking about you guys trashing Incognito. I know you liked him. But I remember a lot of people shitting on him as part of the o-line issues. I have a friend who's a dolphins fan and he wanted Incognito run out of town before Bullygate ever went down.

Final note:

Yeah he wasn't great in pass protection which has been the biggest flaw on the oline as a whole since Tannehill arrived so I can see why he would say that but he was better than any other option we've had until Tunsil arrived and letting him go would have been (and was) a mistake. And Incognito does rub people the wrong way so maybe that's why your friend didn't like him. Dude is a straight up bully and always was before he came to Miami.

Anyways I'm done discussing this, this thread is for celebrating the Dolphins damn it!

Why would you play Cardale in a garbage game against garbage opponents to then have him sit for 6 months after that?

Nah, the time to put him in was months ago. Too late now, no reason to throw a 4th round rookie QB to the wolves.

j-wood

I love Mariota, super bummed about how you guys' season ended. :(

Hopefully he comes back strong next season with an even better roster around him. I still don't have much faith in Mularkey but the personnel department for the Titans has been killing it lately. Keep building!

I know, it still hurts so bad :(

With the rams first round pick and our own, I really think we just need a key defensive players (especially CB), and then get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. Put that into place, and I think no question that the AFC South is ours next year.

Our offensive line, QB, RB, and defensive line is set. Linebackers are decent enough. Need a CB and a WR really.

Top Bottom