• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 17 |OT| Miami has the Dolphins...the Greatest football team...

BigAT

I call bullshit on these "the coach didn't want him" stories with unnamed sources.

Especially the ones that only come out after the player has completely bombed out. Tell me how upset O'Brien was in April, not in December when it's safe to say Brock was a bust.

Hindl

Right now I see Denver in the Tyrod sweepstakes if Dallas asks to much for Tony Romo. I see Kaep will probably opt out and go to the Jets if they offered him a contract which I think the Jets owner is not to fond of Kaep and his protest.

My only thing with Denver is they just invested a first round pick in Lynch. I haven't kept up with him but I knew he was really raw and wouldn't really be ready this season. He started a few games and I feel like they're gonna roll with him next season. I don't see them going after Tyrod since Tyrod is a long-term solution. I could see Romo since he'd be a 1-2 season rental until Lynch is ready, but getting Tyrod essentially means they're already throwing the towel in on Lynch. Could happen though

Right now I see Denver in the Tyrod sweepstakes if Dallas asks to much for Tony Romo. I see Kaep will probably opt out and go to the Jets if they offered him a contract which I think the Jets owner is not to fond of Kaep and his protest.

Tyrod is mediocrity personified. They might as well just stick with Semien.

It's gonna suck when the Steelers wreck us in the playoffs. :(

Looking at redzone stats I saw that Dolphins have more big plays in Pass and Run than any other team in the league, we score on teams from anywhere! We don't even need to get into the redzone and when we do we have the best redzone qb in the league!

Man this year has been crazy good fun and after such a horrible start...imagine this offense with the Jason Taylor/Zach Thomas defense of the early 00s :( what could have been.

squicken

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/week-16-quick-reads
U5POHbV.jpg

CRv4BhY.jpg

fVdCABy.jpg

7Kc4yqP.jpg

Tyrod is solid and when he has the right pieces around him he looks good to great.

Semien is trash, he was trash in college as well.

There doesn't appear to be a huge gulf of difference between the two, especially considering Taylor has had the benefit of a run game this season. If Elway is going to roll the dice on a QB it's got to be one someone that has a chance to hit big.

Jarnet87

You guys are focusing on the QB thing too much.

Tyrod knows it's a business, the $30M guaranteed if he gets injured, and this is a chance for EJ to audition to be the back-up next year.

You learn nothing from watching Cardale Jones play a meaningless game against a shitty Jets team. This is just to protect Tyrod (who I 100% guarantee will be our QB next year, especially if we keep Lynn or hire Coughlin) and give EJ a chance to showcase himself.

Starting Cardale at Least gives Bills fans a false hope of something promising for next season. They already know how terrible EJ is, there is nothing left to show

Looking at redzone stats I saw that Dolphins have more big plays in Pass and Run than any other team in the league, we score on teams from anywhere! We don't even need to get into the redzone and when we do we have the best redzone qb in the league!

Man this year has been crazy good fun and after such a horrible start...imagine this offense with the Jason Taylor/Zach Thomas defense of the early 00s :( what could have been.
This year has been amazing, man. Just incredible. Whatever else happens I can honestly say this has been one hell of a ride.

Deep ball issues tho...
Stick to the narrative, chris! Dammit, we've been over this!

There doesn't appear to be a huge gulf of difference between the two, especially considering Taylor has had the benefit of a run game this season. If Elway is going to roll the dice on a QB it's got to be one someone that has a chance to hit big.

He's gonna make a hard push for Romo, IMO.

Doomsayer

They also have Lynch in the shadows, and he hasn't really played enough to pass any judgement on as of yet.

MechDX

I'm not talking about you guys trashing Incognito. I know you liked him. But I remember a lot of people shitting on him as part of the o-line issues. I have a friend who's a dolphins fan and he wanted Incognito run out of town before Bullygate ever went down.

We will, but i'll always remember BoB as the guy who let Mallett hang around after he went AWOL the day after losing the start to Hoyer. That really lost him a lot of points in my book.

Uh....that was GM Rick Smith not O'Brien

Both times.

There isn't a huge gulf of difference between 90% of starting QBs in the NFL.

squicken

Both Kubiak and Wade Phillips have had health issues. If they retire, that would have a lot of influence on what they want at quarterback. But I doubt Kubiak will retire. These coaches seem to act like they would rather die on the sidelines than stop coaching

I do not watch enough of the Bills to see why people do not like Tyrod's game. He looks solid when I watch.

LJ11

True, which is why if you are going to make waves, you do it for the chance at someone in that 10% (which Romo, if he's healthy, is), not just for someone who is marginally better than what you already got.

Romo isn't staying healthy behind that offensive line, plus, you're rolling out draft picks that you won't be able to use to upgrade that awful OL. You have to block Mack, Houston, Bosa for 6 games, Romo isn't staying healthy with that trash OL, in that conference.

I do not watch enough of the Bills to see why people do not like Tyrod's game. He looks solid when I watch.

He's got his issues, but I'd roll with Tyrod over a lot of guys, I think folks think you can just pull out some top tier QB from your butt cheeks.

MechDX

So GM Rick Smith cuts players and not O'Brien?

What power does O'Brien have on this team? What does his opinion matter if he has no control, and why should I buy any story that says he has the owner's ear?

Who has the owners ear? Smith or OB? Let's just say the only fact that is known as an absolute of the power structure in Houston is that Rick Smith is the godfather of the owners grand baby.

From what has been "said" O'Brien has full control of the 53 man roster. But you also have to remember the Texans choosing Ed Reed over Glover Quinn before the 2013 season. A move that is now known was an owners move. When wade was not retained by OB he came out and said that he was never consulted about signing Ed Reed before it happened. This coming from a DC who was hand picked BY the owner and pushed on to Kubiak

Romo isn't staying healthy behind that offensive line, plus, you're rolling out draft picks that you won't be able to use to upgrade that awful OL. You have to block Mack, Houston, Bosa for 6 games, Romo isn't staying healthy with that trash OL, in that conference.

So then keep Semien amd Lynch and upgrade in other areas is what I'm saying. I just wouldn't go out of my way to add Taylor, spending money and/or picks to get him (is he a free agent?) when I don't think he's that much of an upgrade.

I get going after Romo, because if healthy he's much better than what you already have. Yeah he's a pretty big risk, but so was Peyton and that one paid off big time.

I like Tyrod a lot, but he's in that Alex Smith camp half the league is in where he's passable and can win with the right team, but you can't ever expect him to carry you.

He'll never use the middle of the field.

Both Kubiak and Wade Phillips have had health issues. If they retire, that would have a lot of influence on what they want at quarterback. But I doubt Kubiak will retire. These coaches seem to act like they would rather die on the sidelines than stop coaching

I think Tyrod has a fairly high ceiling as well. Look at how he played against the Dolphins on Saturday or the Seahawks earlier this season. Granted they lost both of those games but I doubt anyone who watched would put that on him.

His short to mid accuracy is streaky and sometimes he looks to run before he should. He also misses reads. Those are his biggest flaws, in my opinion, but I think he can continue improving in those areas under the right coaching staff.

MechDX

That inevitable feel when Mech finally ends up turning on BOB :swoon

Where in any of my interactions with Deacon on this topic have you gotten this thought pattern from? Where have I even implied that? If anything its just the damn opposite.

I swear you just pull shit out of your ass to amuse yourself.

He's got his issues, but I'd roll with Tyrod over a lot of guys, I think folks think you can just pull out some top tier QB from your butt cheeks.
100% nailed it.

This is how I feel about Tannehill as well. I absolutely believe he is capable of winning a SB with the right team around him, which is about the best you can ask for unless you're a lucky ass Packers, Patriots, or Colts fan.

What was the best thing your team did in the year 2016?

For the Panthers, it was exporting Bojangles to California during the run up to that one game in Santa Clara.

You're welcome Worst Coast

LJ11

So then keep Semien amd Lynch and upgrade in other areas is what I'm saying. I just wouldn't go out of my way to add Taylor, spending money and/or picks to get him (is he a free agent?) when I don't think he's that much of an upgrade.

I get going after Romo, because if healthy he's much better than what you already have. Yeah he's a pretty big risk, but so was Peyton and that one paid off big time.

With Tyrod it would just be financial, but yeah, they shouldn't spend more resources if they don't have the cash to do so, not sure what they're cap situation is like.

Frozen, I think Tyrod is better than Smith because he can keep you honest with the deep ball and he's a better runner, especially if you use him in the run game, McCoy benefited from all the option looks, but yeah I'm not sure he's going to carry an offense. It's his inability to anticipate windows and inconsistent accuracy that killed him this year. He improved over the middle, but it't not enough. O was hamstrung by injuries as well, strange to expect improvement when guys are out.

Edit: The Seahawks game was the best game Tyrod has ever played, he didn't even need the deep ball in that one, just dotted up the Hawks all night long. Fucking loved it.

For the Panthers, it was exporting Bojangles to California during the run up to that one game in Santa Clara.

I guess we didn't start Mallett, and Flacco wasn't run into the ground again.

Actually nah, helping keep the Bengals out of the playoffs was much better and more worth it

Oh yeah there is absolutely no reason to cut ties with him, us doing so would be the worst move we've made in 15 years and would probably just get me to straight up stop watching.

He's more than enough of a threat with his legs and arm to be worth starting on a contending team. He doesn't turn the ball over, when his OL is good, and ours wasn't for a good while, he reads the field fairly well. He's just spotty like most middle tier QB's, but you can't teach that deep ball and you can't teach his runners instincts. All we need is a QB that flashes enough from that Hawks game and the game this week paired with even a passable defense and we should be able to make the playoffs.

If we cut ties for anybody but someone like Romo I'm just off the wagon. I can't take 20+ years of futility I get enough of that from the damn Mets.

WedgeX

Banned

The Lions continued to employ Deandre Levy who, despite being hurt, is the real hero we watchers of the NFL deserve.

Top Bottom