• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 7 [OT] - Challenge of the SuperFrauds

People keep wanting to say this bad stretch is like 3 games or some shit, but it's 16+ games that he has looked this way. It's more than a pattern.

Oh boo hoo 16 games, you guys almost didn't make it to the second round of the playoffs last year must have been harrowing.

The best QB in Bears history is possibly Jay Cutler. Like, it's a compelling argument that he is.

Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre are both better QBs than most franchises have had, ever.

And last time I checked you were 3-2?

2eUvO9.gif

Hindl

I see you (understandably) don't watch every Vikings game. :)
Doesn't matter where we play, I never feel like the refs are a benefit. I know, I know... it's the age old "the NFL/refs HATE us!" excuse that gets laughably old, but seriously, I've been watching this team for over 30 years and I can't remember once when I thought "Holy shit! The refs just gifted us that game!"
So if the zebras decide to cheese you at home and hand the Vikes a lot of gimmies, it'll be a first for me, haha.

I like this Eagles team, though. I lot of potential for the coming years. Good luck Sunday!

Oh I know! It's more just the last two Eagles games have had 100+ yds in penalties each. Probably 75 yds of which were legit in each game, but the rest was just the case of refs favoring the home team with good calls. It'll even out at the end of the season, just sucks that they had two road games in a row. But I'm not too worried about that. The future is bright! I'm hoping for a good game but I'm expecting the Vikes to dominate the Eagles.

Drafting Wentz was great but some of the FA pick up and contract extensions so far seem iffy at best.

The corners they picked up have been atrocious or hurt. Only Nollan Carrol deserves to start. Great pick up at safety in McLeod.

Extending Curry seems like a bad deal right now.

Obviously not all moves can be judged now but I expected the 2ndary to be much improved and so far it isn't. That he traded away a 2nd round pick in favor of 7th round pick and McKelvin who can never stay healthy is not sitting well with me.

I dunno, you can only do so much in the offseason. These past two weeks have casted doubt, but a lot of the moves made have gone well. Offloading the Maxwell and Murray contracts were huge, and despite last week, McLeod has been a good pickup. Same with Bradham, he didn't have a great game last week but it seems like the entire defense didn't. But aside from that, he's been playing like a fucking monster. And Brandon Brooks has been at least average at RG, which if you have blocked last season from your memory, is a massive improvement. Lane is a stupid fucker, but when he was healthy our OL was really good. Not Dallas good, but definitely top 10, and going from last year to that is huge. Before the first 3 weeks, this was a developmental year, and a lot of the pieces look good. Curry is always going to be a liability in run D, but he's a great pass rusher, he just isn't on the field a lot. Schwartz needs to start taking Barwin out more frequently. So I think it's been an alright FA season, and if we have another one like it next year, it'll start paying dividends.

Curry has been one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league considering his limited snaps. The real question is why they don't give him more. Connor Barwin has been playing poorly this season, so I don't understand why they don't play Curry in his spot. Graham, Logan, Cox, Curry would be a better line. The only thing I can think of is they think Curry is bad at containing or setting the edge.

They definitely need help at CB and LB though. Bradham has been good, but Kendricks has looked like garbage in the new scheme. They can rely on Hicks and Bradham but they need another LB and maybe some LB depth. They also need CB depth. Unfortunately you're never going to get a team with great players at every position. You're going to have to pick where you'd rather have your weakness. LB, CB, OL or WR are going to be the four spots they need to fix next offseason. They can probably only fix two of those.

He's just not good at run D, but when they're playing nickel I totally agree with that DL lineup. Assuming we can extend logan this offseason, we'll at the very least have a solid 4-3 DL for the next 3 years. The problem is in the 4-3 the LBs and CBs have to be on point, and they aren't Hicks has been playing well and so has Bradham, but we need more than that. I totally agree with your assessment of what they need. I think if they can grab a FA WR, that would help a ton. Then, they could hopefully move Seumalo to C, and in the draft target a RT, maybe some more OL depth, and then just focus on CB and LB. Next year probably won't be a deep playoff run season either, but if the right cards fall into place, then 2018 and 2019 they should be making some noise.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Underrated moment from the Dolphins/Steelers game: Hoculi's dumbshit crew calls the Dolphins for an illegal shift on a great TD pass where half the offensive players move around before the ball was snapped, saying that one of the linemen wasn't covered. Gase prints a photo of the play and calls the ref over to show him he was wrong.

Dude seems pretty smart.
I remember that play. I paused it on the dvr. The phins had exactly 5 guys on the line and 6 in the backfield.

Pepiope

Is there any truth to the rumors that the Browns were looking to trade Joe Thomas? If so I wonder what it would take. Eagles need Howie to work some trade magic before Big V gets Wentz killed. The Vike bike is leading the league with 19 sacks already, this could get really ugly.
He's an aging player and we're a young team. Nah

http://www.footballperspective.com/strength-of-schedule-data-through-week-6-and-rest-of-year/

Eagles dropped 5.1% of their pass last year, and ESPN's charters have them dropping 5.1% of their passes this year. btw what is the deal with Zach Ertz? I thought Howie got a steal with that contract extension, but Ertz has not be good this year (when he has played)

Yeah he looked terrible. Dropped a sure TD pass. Hopefully it was just first game rust but he was such a piece of shit last year it has me worried.

He's an aging player and we're a young team. Nah

Breaking news: The Eagles have announced that they are cutting all players 31 years of age or older.

Edit: Celek, McKelvin, and Tulloch are all the same age as Thomas and all got contracts from the Eagles in the offseason. I guess Howie didnt get the youth movement memo.

Sephzilla

Packers fans deserve Brandon Weeden at QB. HoF QB has a bad stretch and you just bury him.

Being a sub par QB for longer than a full NFL season would get you benched and maybe cut by most other teams in the league these days. Rodgers and the Packers have been sorta stinking up the joint for a while now. They were a mediocre team for over half of the season last year, backed into the playoffs, and massively overachieved in the playoffs. Right now the Packers are a 3-2 team that could easily be 1-4 because our coach is way too conservative and the team as a whole continues to refuse to address defensive issues. We're past the point where you can handwave the issues the McCarthy and Rodgers are having as bad stretches, and we shouldn't give giving them a pass because of something they did six years ago.

Pepiope

Yeah he looked terrible. Dropped a sure TD pass. Hopefully it was just first game rust but he was such a piece of shit last year it has me worried.

Breaking news: The Eagles have announced that they are cutting all players 31 years of age or older.

Edit: Celek, McKelvin, and Tulloch are all the same age as Thomas and all got contracts from the Eagles in the offseason. I guess Howie didnt get the youth movement memo.
If we get him for free sure and at a discount, sure, but there is no reason to add another aging player with such a high Cap hit.

Hindl

http://www.footballperspective.com/strength-of-schedule-data-through-week-6-and-rest-of-year/

Eagles dropped 5.1% of their pass last year, and ESPN's charters have them dropping 5.1% of their passes this year. btw what is the deal with Zach Ertz? I thought Howie got a steal with that contract extension, but Ertz has not be good this year (when he has played)

Hard to say. The easy answer is that he's never going to have the breakout potential that he's supposed to, although that was an uncharacteristic drop. Ertz hasn't been a dominant player, but he's usually caught things thrown his way. The homer answer is that he was injured in the Browns game and is still working off the rust, and the fact that Vaitai is basically going to require an extra TE to block with him might limit his production. I'll also say that while that throw hit him square in the hands for a sure TD, it was thrown a little high. I really want Ertz to work out, but he isn't producing yet. Hopefully it happens soon, but we're about to enter the part of the schedule where we're facing top tier Safeties and LBs. Tough to say, he just might not be the player we thought he was.

If we get him for free sure and at a discount, sure, but there is no reason to add another aging player with such a high Cap hit.

The reason would be that the OL was a disaster on Sunday and that they never addressed Lane's upcoming suspension and are now forced to play a 5th round rookie who was clearly not ready to play. I would think keeping Wentz healthy and allowing him to continue his development without having to run for his life would be a good thing, but maybe I was wrong.

Bread

Banned
Being a sub par QB for longer than a full NFL season would get you benched and maybe cut by most other teams in the league these days. Rodgers and the Packers have been sorta stinking up the joint for a while now. They were a mediocre team for over half of the season last year, backed into the playoffs, and massively overachieved in the playoffs. Right now the Packers are a 3-2 team that could easily be 1-4 because our coach is way too conservative and the team as a whole continues to refuse to address defensive issues. We're past the point where you can handwave the issues the McCarthy and Rodgers are having as bad stretches, and we shouldn't give giving them a pass because of something they did six years ago.
being an elite qb for like a decade should give him more than enough good will, you guys are crazy.

Sephzilla

being an elite qb for like a decade should give him more than enough good will, you guys are crazy.

I don't think he should be benched or anything fucking crazy like that (I still think the problem is more McCarthy than Rodgers) but I think we're at the point where we need to acknowledge that there's a significant problem going on.

Hindl

The reason would be that the OL was a disaster on Sunday and that they never addressed Lane's upcoming suspension and are now forced to play a 5th round rookie who was clearly not ready to play. I would think keeping Wentz healthy and allowing him to continue his development without having to run for his life would be a good thing, but maybe I was wrong.

I say keep Vaitai in, he needs to learn. But there's more Doug can do to help Wentz. Wentz has shown to be really adept at throwing on the run, so they should do more designated bootlegs out to the left side of the line. Barbre has done really well, and Peters, while not the player he was, is still an above average LT. Wentz is good on the move, Doug needs to use that. As for Thomas, it would be great if they could get him, but the Browns aren't giving him up.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

You're right, pep is crazy.

BigAT

Having a discussion about whether or not you should just slide Joe Thomas in as your starting RT is sub-sports talk radio tier conversation.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Makes sense, whenever I am forced to listen to sports talk radio I am reminded of this thread.

I would have faith, but I'm still not comfortable with night games.

This is the game I've been waiting for. Can't wait to see Brock smeared across the field this week. Maybe, just maybe, the Broncos offense can play well enough to score more than 13 points too!

I remember that play. I paused it on the dvr. The phins had exactly 5 guys on the line and 6 in the backfield.
Tell that to Adam's picture!

Regardless, all that motion was pretty creative, really fooled Pittsburgh. I wish I had a gif of it. Hopefully this offense will be pretty fun to watch once the wrinkles get ironed out.

brentech

Oh boo hoo 16 games, you guys almost didn't make it to the second round of the playoffs last year must have been harrowing.

The best QB in Bears history is possibly Jay Cutler. Like, it's a compelling argument that he is.

Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre are both better QBs than most franchises have had, ever.

And last time I checked you were 3-2?

2eUvO9.gif
I would literally be talking about this regardless of what team he plays for. The drop off in play is staggering for what is likely a future HoFer. If you don't think what is happening to Rodgers is interesting at 33 years old, I really don't know what to say.

I make fun of other QBs that play shitty, I'm not going to let Rodgers off the hook for how he has played. Last year, everything and everyone took the blame but him, the media is finally mentioning that he's making poor throws and even decisions (his strongest trait) at times.

It's legitimately one of the most interesting falls from grace I have seen in sports for a position that can usually play well into the 30s. no matter if he picks himself back up or just falls flat, it's going to be a really interesting story when he talks about what has happened 10 years after retiring.

MechDX

This is the game I've been waiting for. Can't wait to see Brock smeared across the field this week. Maybe, just maybe, the Broncos offense can play well enough to score more than 13 points too!

Bronco fans and players wanting Brock hurt.

Denver Culture.

Jets could lose Decker until 2018

@RichCimini
WR Eric Decker had HIP surgery today, per #Jets. Once he's off crutches, he'll have rotator cuff repaired. Hip: 6 months, RC: 8 months.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I would literally be talking about this regardless of what team he plays for. The drop off in play is staggering for what is likely a future HoFer. If you don't think what is happening to Rodgers is interesting at 33 years old, I really don't know what to say.

I make fun of other QBs that play shitty, I'm not going to let Rodgers off the hook for how he has played. Last year, everything and everyone took the blame but him, the media is finally mentioning that he's making poor throws and even decisions (his strongest trait) at times.

It's legitimately one of the most interesting falls from grace I have seen in sports for a position that can usually play well into the 30s. no matter if he picks himself back up or just falls flat, it's going to be a really interesting story when he talks about what has happened 10 years after retiring.

Shades of Kurt Warner.

I'm struggling to think of someone else that just disappeared like that.

edit: Warner was 33 when he played on the Giants!

This was another great read/throw

I've read/watched/listed to every breakdown of the games so far and these types of plays have been there but that same small issues keep popping up, poor/wrong route running, minimal effort on blocking by WR/TEs, rotating RBs too much and the always godawful protection/blocking from the line and Tannehill has been off on throws too, I'm not excusing him but suddenly you have your starting line playing and everyone on offense (the blocking especially this game was great) giving full effort and you come away with this type of performance, I mean we left 3 TDs on the field. The drop by Parker, the drop by Sims and the call back from the penalty. So even in that game those same mistakes popped up again but we were able to maximize on the other opportunities we got. Whenever we have the starters or at least most of them on oline I expect this offense to move. It's the defense I'm giving no chance what so ever, especially with Jones gone (not confirmed) though I commend them for stopping Bell and Brown last week I don't expect them to do this consistently for the rest of the year.

Sephzilla

Shades of Kurt Warner.

I'm struggling to think of someone else that just disappeared like that.

edit: Warner was 33 when he played on the Giants!

I can't think of anyone on Rodgers' level who had such a sharp dropoff like that. The only names that popped up in my head that were good and then fell off at all are Duante Cullpepper and Jeff Garcia.

MechDX

I can't think of anyone on Rodgers' level who had such a sharp dropoff like that. The only names that popped up in my head that were good and then fell off at all are Duante Cullpepper and Jeff Garcia.

Matt Schaub. Matt was good 09-first half of 2012

2013 he just completely melted

I'm just hoping for 10 sacks!

Everyone was happy Elway didnt get "suckered in to paying him" yet somehow there is so much personal crap being thrown around. Interesting.....

This was another great read/throw

I've read/watched/listed to every breakdown of the games so far and these types of plays have been there but that same small issues keep popping up, poor/wrong route running, minimal effort on blocking by WR/TEs, rotating RBs too much and the always godawful protection/blocking from the line and Tannehill has been off on throws too, I'm not excusing him but suddenly you have your starting line playing and everyone on offense (the blocking especially this game was great) giving full effort and you come away with this type of performance, I mean we left 3 TDs on the field. The drop by Parker, the drop by Sims and the call back from the penalty. So even in that game those same mistakes popped up again but we were able to maximize on the other opportunities we got. Whenever we have the starters or at least most of them on oline I expect this offense to move. It's the defense I'm giving no chance what so ever, especially with Jones gone (not confirmed) though I commend them for stopping Bell and Brown last week I don't expect them to do this consistently for the rest of the year.
Totally agree. A good offense needs a lot of pieces to click at once and we finally saw the potential for that. Now it's about consistency.

Defense was the expected weakness going in so no surprises there. Losing Jones would be brutal, even just from a watchability perspective. Dude is one of the few playmakers on this defense, always a blast to watch.

brentech

We should dig deeper and come up with the guy that played the best quarter of football ever, just to be terrible thereafter.

Totally agree. A good offense needs a lot of pieces to click at once and we finally saw the potential for that. Now it's about consistency.

Defense was the expected weakness going in so no surprises there. Losing Jones would be brutal, even just from a watchability perspective. Dude is one of the few playmakers on this defense, always a blast to watch.

Him and Wake and Suh put on clinics on how to play their positions...shame about everyone else though.

Top Bottom