• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh snap, Griffey's back on a video game cover:

CvyWvuqVYAETkeE.jpg

Chris R

Are you ready for that power house of matchups that is Jags Titans?

I'm not going to be drunk enough :(

I would be if parking downtown in Nashville wasn't SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE, so instead I'll head down at 6:00 PM when night time rates start and pregame then

Fuck these cities that don't have good public transport to/from stadiums :<

edit: Love how they found the best shots of Griffey that cover up almost all reference to the Mariners :( :( :(

Spinluck

I'm so confused over gaming sides reaction to Switch's screen res. It's a gaming device, 720p is perfectly fine and is cost and performance efficient.

"Bu... Buhh... My $600-$800 tablet has a 4k screen" well no shit.

Just not long ago we were gushing over 720p games, hell, PS4 and Xbox1 still have games that can't hit 1080p...

Edit:
I will never understand the graphics thing, it's kind of like CGI. It's great, but how much greater will it get in from x amount of time to x amount of time? Just shows the hypocrisy of a lot of console gamers who say PC isn't for them.

Why are Giants playoff odds double that of the skins? Strength of schedule? Tie breaker?

Wash won the division, Giants finish 3rd, they playing the first place teams of the NFC South and NFC West..Giants playing the teams that finish 3rd in those divisions..Cowboys finish last, you get the idea..

I'm so confused over gaming sides reaction to Switch's screen res. It's a gaming device, 720p is perfectly fine and is cost and performance efficient.

Just not long ago we were gushing over 720p games, hell, PS4 and Xbox1 still have games that can't hit 1080p...

In a year or 2 when MS has 4k games on scorpio and Sony is streaming 4k games with the PSPro, Nintendo being limited to 720p is going to look bad. Especially as 4k Tv prices drop and they get a wider saturation. People are going to want content for their new TV's. This is just another way that Nintendo seems to be behind the times. I also read today that the Switch wont support external usb drives. I get that you cant connect an external drive while it is in tablet mode, but when it is docked it would make sense to be able to expand the storage. It really feels like all the post reveal news has been bad.

Hindl

Wash won the division, Giants finish 3rd, they playing the first place teams of the NFC South and NFC West..Giants playing the teams that finish 3rd in those divisions..Cowboys finish last, you get the idea..
True, but due to that Wash plays Arizona and Carolina, both of which are looking amazingly fraudulent. So that 1st place schedule might work in their favor

Edit:
I will never understand the graphics thing, it's kind of like CGI. It's great, but how much greater will it get in from x amount of time to x amount of time? Just shows the hypocrisy of a lot of console gamers who say PC isn't for them.

It's fine for handheld, but native 720p looks like shit on my tv.

I'm not a big graphics guy. Just talking about image quality.

Tom Penny

Edit:
The question really is why do you need switch if you have a tablet phone or laptop if it isn't dirt cheap on top of the others potentially having better graphics?

Hindl

It's fine for handheld, but native 720p looks like shit on my tv.

I'm not a big graphics guy. Just talking about image quality.

It's looking like it upscales to 1080p when docked (or rather, downscales to 720p when in handheld mode)

The question really is why do you need switch if you have a tablet phone or laptop if it isn't dirt cheap on top of the others potentially having better graphics?

Same reason you get Nintendo hardware since the N64, Nintendo games and third party exclusives. Problem is that's looking less enticing each generation

Spinluck

I think the console as a whole will be able to run games at 1080p when docked. Until I'm told it absolutely doesn't I will continue to believe this since even the Wii U ran some games at 1080p fullHD res.

Pro and Scorpio seem more like novelty hardware for enthusiast to me. I will probably buy Pro because I'm young and have nothing better to spend my money on, but I don't think it'll make that big of a spla out the gate. 4k TVs are getting cheaper but I think it'll take a few more years to catch on.

Edit:

Keep in mind that a lot of those comments are from console warriors who will attack a company from any angle if it wins points.

I remember getting into an argument with a chap last gen who was beside himself that the Wii U wasn't going to have multi touch, saying that the iPod/Phone feature it and it will be detrimental to gaming. I asked him what games use multitouch in any appreciable way outside of pinch to zoom which could be handled easily with button presses. He couldn't give me an answer.

Granted, the Wii U had much larger problems, but people will take any opportunity to measure dicks on gaming side, no matter how pointless.

What is the screen resolution of similar sized tablets, like ipads or surfaces? I guess Nintendo can get away with being being cheaper then those but it switch games look considerably worse then other tablet games I think it will be a tough sell for Nintendo.

Tom Penny

Same reason you get Nintendo hardware since the N64, Nintendo games and third party exclusives. Problem is that's looking less enticing each generation

They are entering a space as a mobile gaming device against a billion devices ( tablets, phones)that can play games on top of overall laptop functionality. I just can't see how they win that gamble.

Hindl

What is the screen resolution of similar sized tablets, like ipads or surfaces? I guess Nintendo can get away with being being cheaper then those but it switch games look considerably worse then other tablet games I think it will be a tough sell for Nintendo.

It won't. Zelda alone is light-years ahead of any other tablet game. It'll be underpowered as a console, but even the most conservative estimates have this as the most powerful handheld ever. The screens in those devices may be better, but the GPU in the Switch is much more powerful. And at that screen size, the jump from 1080p to 720p just isn't that noticeable, especially with the GPU/battery tradeoffs it causes.

They are entering a space as a mobile gaming device against a billion devices ( tablets, phones)that can play games on top of overall laptop functionality. I just can't see how they win that gamble.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. If they play this right this could be a huge success, but just a few miscues and this thing will bomb. They really need to hit the right price and have a good lineup of games

It won't. Zelda alone is light-years ahead of any other tablet game. It'll be underpowered as a console, but even the most conservative estimates have this as the most powerful handheld ever. The screens in those devices may be better, but the GPU in the Switch is much more powerful. And at that screen size, the jump from 1080p to 720p just isn't that noticeable, especially with the GPU/battery tradeoffs it causes.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. If they play this right this could be a huge success, but just a few miscues and this thing will bomb. They really need to hit the right price and have a good lineup of games

That is a great point I wasnt even considering that Nintendo has far more resources to throw at games then the average mobile developer, and they also have a ton of super talented studios.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
edit: RE: Nintendo - People are just pissed that, yet again, Nintendo is going to be on the bottom of the graphics pile. I think a lot of people would like to see a full return to form to cutting edge graphics from them.

edit edit: To those people I would say that graphics are going to become somewhat moot in the future with VR gaming...when relating to a television screen anyway. It's going to be all about graphics power though pushing those VR experiences but it's clear that Nintendo is going after that portable market hard with the Switch.

It comes down to how much power the host PC has and how fast your network speed is. Steam in-home streaming basically just converts the display output of your PC to a video stream, so your CPU and GPU are doing extra work in encoding all that on top of running the game at whatever graphics settings you have.

With enough PC horsepower and a fast enough network (wireless is still doable if you have a fast 8011.2ac wifi network setup, but I'd still have the host PC hardwired to the router for this), you shouldn't see too much lag at even the highest quality stream settings. I can stream something like NBA2K at the highest settings from my PC in the bedroom to my Surface Pro downstairs hooked up to my media setup and play at 1080p pretty well.

Aside from upgrading equipment, the only other option you'd have for dealing with lag is to lower quality settings of both the host stream stuff in Steam options as well as the in-game settings of whatever you're playing.

Yeah currently my PC is hooked up via ethernet to my router. I tried it all wirelessly once and that was....lol.

Still rocking a wireless N router (linksys e2500) so I'm sure that's not helping. I hate spending more than like $100 for a router when I have one that does 99% of what I'm already asking it to though.

I was reading about setting the tablet and the output to 720p/30fps which should eliminate any issues. I'm not sure if I'd notice much of a difference on an 8" screen playing Steam indie titles anyway.

My 10.1' Xperia Z2 Tablet from March 2014 is 1920x1200.

cdyhybrid

"Prepare yourselves, football fans. Jaguars QB Blake Bortles has a warning about tonight's "color rush" uniforms: "They're ugly as hell.""

-@JeffDarlington

Incoming fine!

I actually heard Bart Scott say something interesting about the Jags yesterday. That they have a top ten pass defense and he thinks overall they have the foundation for a really solid defense but the offense turns the ball over so much and fails to score so the D has to take more chances and that winds up hurting them. He said that if they just had a solid QB instead of Blake that they would be a much better team then they are. Sucks for Gus that the QB didnt pan out and he is going to be the one to pay the price for it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm gonna watch a bit tonight all because I keep hearing about how terrible Bortles' mechanics are when throwing.

Apparently he takes forever to wind up and throw?

I need to see this.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm gonna watch a bit tonight all because I keep hearing about how terrible Bortles' mechanics are when throwing.

I need to see this.

You haven't seen enough shit quarterbacking from the Browns already?

I need to see this.

I would think you'd shy away from bad QB play considering what you have to watch every Sunday...you might have Stockholm syndrome friend.

TheFatOne

Dion Lewis is back at practice. If he can come close to what he was last year before the injury the Pats offense is going to be insane.

ACE 1991

Got a bad feeling about the Birds Cowboys game. I think there are too many mismatches for the Birds and we don't have the offensive weaponry to contest a shootout.

CJ Anderson is out indefinitely. He didn't even get to have the post October bounce.

Maybe my fellow CSU alum, Kapri Bibbs, will play well enough to get a bigger contract. I'm rooting for him.

Got a bad feeling about the Birds Cowboys game. I think there are too many mismatches for the Birds and we don't have the offensive weaponry to contest a shootout.

My biggest fear is that the Cowboys OL will be able to shut down the Eagles DL and zeke will have a monster game. Funny how everyone is so quick to say you shouldnt draft RBs high, but that is paying off huge for the Boys this year.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Good if it continues but I assume that it has to end at somepoint. I am so worried about this game.

This season is the first in a long while, even 2014, that I feel like Dallas' home crowd has been really into the games and somewhat of a factor.

My biggest fear is that the Cowboys OL will be able to shut down the Eagles DL and zeke will have a monster game. Funny how everyone is so quick to say you shouldnt draft RBs high, but that is paying off huge for the Boys this year.

Not drafting RBs early is a generally good rule. Anyone sane makes exceptions for the type of game changing player that Zeke looks to be.

Hindl

That's what the game comes down to. The Eagles DL has played well against the Cowboys in recent years, but that was in the 3-4. BG in particular has routinely made Tyron Smith his bitch, even before his breakout year this year. But BG is on the other side of the line now, and our LB have to be on point. If the D shows up to play I think we can win, but if they can keep their run game going we don't have a chance. I think Wentz has a bounceback game this week. The Vikings are the Vikings, and against Washington he didn't have a second to throw due to Kerrigan routinely blowing his shit up. Vaitai calmed down and the line held up well against the Vikings, and the Cowboys don't nearly have that DL. So it ultimately comes to Zeke and the OL vs our DL. Wentz should put up points, and the combination of Dez coming back and Dak's favorite target being the perennial Eagles killer Cole Beasley, Dak will put up points too

It's time....

Can't wait to see future Jet Tony Romo

Fuck I have nightmares of Cole Beasley torching Jenkins. Eagles desperately need the coaches to figure out what is going on in the first halfs of games but Wentz has looked terrible the last 3 first halfs.

Top Bottom