• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Banned
Attn: CDY

Xbf5jJ5.png

Can you imagine Westbrook and Kemp playing together? That's some violent dunking potential.

Hindl

I assumed he was referring to McNabb era eagles.....fuck the McNabb era eagles >.< I dunno man I think the eagles have a good shot at taking the divison wentz should be improved he has a real WR to throw and you're getting lane back to anchor the line. How's the defense look? I won't buy the skins until after I've seen them play a few games. Giants online could be problematic for them and well cowboys defense is going to so damn bad. Bunch of rookies and suspensions to deal with.
I'm more worried about Wentz than the defense. The D showed it could be elite last year, but the CBs were a massive problem. The DL should be even better since we still have Cox and Graham, but are replacing Bennie Logan with Timmy Jernigan, who can rush the passer, and drafted Derek Barnett and signed Chris Long to replace Connor Barwin and Vinny Curry. Hicks is an emerging star at MLB and Bradham was quietly really good. In the draft we got two CBs for the future, but this season it was looking like it would be a problem again. Then Darby came in and he has shown he can be a great corner in the past. But it's all about projection. If the rest of the D plays to their level last season, and Jernigan, Barnett, and Darby play to their potential, this defense is elite. But that's adding quite a few new faces, and you can't just assume everything will work.

As for Wentz, I think a lot of people are expecting him to be elite when he'll probably still be a work in progress. He's finally got weapons to throw to, but he hasn't built chemistry with them yet. And he's still had some wobbly/sailing passes and inconsistency in practice/preseason. This season I think he'll have more great games than not, but there's still gonna be inconsistency where you can't be 100% certain on him. Add in the fact that the OL hasn't looked good this preseason and I'm tempering expectations. I can envision an elite jump in production but that means everything goes perfect, and that's stupid to hope for. I still think this team's ceiling is 9-7/10-6 and a wildcard berth.

I agree with the Skins, they're a lot like the Eagles in that they did a lot of tuning of their roster. And like the Eagles, they look good on paper but games play out differently than paper. Still, Jonathan Allen will really help their run D, and they drafted a solid RB and CB. DJax and Garcon being gone will hurt, but Pryor is pretty damn good and they made some solid moves at LB in FA. They're a pretty balanced team.

And agreed on the Cowboys and Giants. Pretty much all of the NFC East teams are good with some big holes, and they should at least be competitive in every game they play. At least on paper, there isn't a team in the division that other teams can mark as an automatic win, unless they're the Pats, and maybe Seahawks and Packers

MechDX

Zak Keefer&#8207;Verified account
@zkeefer
Follow
More
Consider this: Colts now have just 6 practices before the regular season opener. And Andrew Luck hasn't practiced w/ the team since December
11:58 AM - 24 Aug 2017 from Indiana, USA

Nope. Nothing to see here. All is well

Pepiope

I assumed he was referring to McNabb era eagles.....fuck the McNabb era eagles >.< I dunno man I think the eagles have a good shot at taking the divison wentz should be improved he has a real WR to throw and you're getting lane back to anchor the line. How's the defense look? I won't buy the skins until after I've seen them play a few games. Giants online could be problematic for them and well cowboys defense is going to so damn bad. Bunch of rookies and suspensions to deal with.
If the eagles aren't at least a top 10 defense this season, I'll be disappointed. Especially with the trade for Darby. The offense is going to be meh. Wentz is getting better but he's too inexperienced to expect him to carry the entire offense. Jeffrey is a stud, but injuries concern me, we're hoping Smith can go back to his Baltimore days but that isn't a guarantee, and agholor is agholor. Couple that with the horrible run game and we're in for another season of average to below average offensive production. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think the offense is still a year away

Spinluck

Don't the same unions provide service to the NBA?

Its fucking insane how shitty the people who run the NFL look in comparison to the NBA. I will always kind of hate the Spurs because of my own enlightenment, but at the same time I will always have to respect Pop for the way he said what we were all thinking about Trump.

Yup, Pop is a real one.

:')

dionysus

Yaldog
DIA94CjVoAAncDu.jpg:large

4 straight days of "hurricane like" conditions. All up and down the Texas/Louisiana coast.

Don't envy the people who live in low lying areas or heavily developed areas. Even in my neighborhood in Katy that wasn't even in a FEMA flood plane that shit doesn't account for how developed neighborhoods absorb about 1/3rd less water per unit of time than untouched land. It might not meat the FEMA definition of a flood but those neighborhood flash floods can still be horrible.

Texans pass rush is very good, so I am not trying to downplay that. I also wonder what Watt and Clowney's motor is in the preseason? I'd say for the Saints o-line the primary concern on 1st team is to avoid injuries. Last year the first team o-line looked like shit all preseason, made our pass rush look decent, and then was one of the better units during the regular season while the pass rush sucked.

On the other hand, Strief is like 34 and could have finally hit a wall. Armstead is out and Ramzyk is a rookie.

DMVfan123

Banned
NFC East talk

I think you can expect a fair amount of growth from Wentz this year. As a Skins fan I expect the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants to all make the playoffs, while the Redskins slide quite a bit, even though I'll re-evaluate after the third preseason game. Losing D-Jax, Garçon, and McVay made me realize how much our recent success hinged on Kirk's supporting cast, rather than just "If we just had a halfway defense we'd win a playoff game" like most Skins fans would like to believe

When is the last time anyone even saw Andrew Luck? Is it possible Irsay accidentally killed him and the Colts are scrambling trying to cover it up?

If the Colts need a QB......I know one that might be on the block.
Nah.. Brock has that on lock

No.

But that is how people look at JCBs.
I see

:jnc

When is the last time anyone even saw Andrew Luck? Is it possible Irsay accidentally killed him and the Colts are scrambling trying to cover it up?
Shit i didn't think of that

I'm assuming Irsay then sold Luck's organs on the black market for cocaine.
His DNA is probably worthwhile

Does Irsay have a submarine by any chance?
&#129300;

Hindl

I think you can expect a fair amount of growth from Wentz this year. As a Skins fan I expect the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants to all make the playoffs, while the Redskins slide quite a bit, even though I'll re-evaluate after the third preseason game. Losing D-Jax, Garçon, and McVay made me realize how much our recent success hinged on Kirk's supporting cast, rather than just "If we just had a halfway defense we'd win a playoff game" like most Skins fans would like to believe
I fully expect Wentz to take a step forward and grow. It's just that, as usual, people have started hyping up the eagles. It happens every year. Usually there are measured takes after FA and the draft, and then for whatever reason during preseason the eagles suddenly start getting national attention. Maybe it's because of the big media market. But now I'm reading Schefter thinks the eagles will win the east(after saying they'd go to the SB in 2015), PFF thinks they could win the East after hyping up their players for years (#1 OL my ass), and ESPN is getting on the bandwagon. Wentz will improve, but he's not ready to carry the team yet. If he can just work with what's given to him and isn't asked to play a hero then he'll have a good season of growth

WYTS Lions http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-detroit-lions-1798382848

Megatron said:
I didn’t see a chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time. For the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time, to keep on beating my head up against the wall, and not go anywhere… It’s the definition of insanity… That’s everybody’s goal, when they come to the league, is to win a Super Bowl. That’s the ultimate goal. … I wanted to win it, and like I said, I just didn’t see that opportunity with the Lions.

I am not old enough to remember a single playoff victory.
We once lost a game because our defensive tackle missed the game-tying extra point. Jesus, I can’t believe that’s a true sentence.
Between Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders, our best player was Jason Hanson. He was a kicker.
There have been only two stretches in the Super Bowl era when they’ve had consecutive winning seasons.
Their best defensive player (and probably best human being), who had struggled with injury for two seasons, was cleared by the team’s doctors the day before he was cut just so they could fuck him out of some guaranteed money.
The Lions have ruined two of the greatest offensive players in the history of the game to the point where they’d rather not play than continue to lose. They then managed to ask for their money back.
Following the Lions allows you to understand your place in the universe. You are irrelevant. The management doesn’t care what you think and the team will never matter to the league. 51 years on this earth and one playoff win that lead to one of the biggest blowouts in NFC championship history.
Fun Fact: Stafford is 5-46 against winning teams.

There are only two types of Lions fans. The type who absolutely know the Lions are destined to be the 2nd worst bunch of fuck ups in the league for eternity (sorry, Cleveland). The other type of Lions fans are the eternally delusional optimistic type.
The team has never been to the Super Bowl. Once more, the closest the team ever got was losing by more than four touchdowns during the 1991 season. Matthew Stafford’s wife tried to make money selling tickets to a Lions’ game on Instagram, and when she was called out for it, she deleted the post. The Lions called the Allen Park Police Department on a local blogger who wanted to photoshop a picture of William Clay Ford in a coffin.
In the 50+ Years of the Super Bowl Era, the following Quarterbacks have more playoff wins than the entire Detroit Lions Franchise:

Jim Everett
Wade Wilson
Chris Chandler
Vince Ferragamo
David Woodley
Jeff Hostetler
Trent Dilfer
Mark Sanchez
The only thing worse than being a devoted fan of a perennially-shitty-except-when-they’re-sometimes-good-but-never-good-enough team is being a devoted fan of a PSEWTSGBNGE team that perpetually alienates the only good players they’ve ever had. Seriously? You’re going to make Calvin Johnson repay his bonus money? After he A) was the only thing making you consistently watchable and B) was the only thing making you relevant outside the Midwest? So you can go spend that million on yet-another retread, former-Patriot injury risk? For fuck’s sake. Give that man his money. I trust him with it more than you.

I’d write more, but this is legitimately making me sad.

Pepiope

I fully expect Wentz to take a step forward and grow. It's just that, as usual, people have started hyping up the eagles. It happens every year. Usually there are measured takes after FA and the draft, and then for whatever reason during preseason the eagles suddenly start getting national attention. Maybe it's because of the big media market. But now I'm reading Schefter thinks the eagles will win the east(after saying they'd go to the SB in 2015), PFF thinks they could win the East after hyping up their players for years (#1 OL my ass), and ESPN is getting on the bandwagon. Wentz will improve, but he's not ready to carry the team yet. If he can just work with what's given to him and isn't asked to play a hero then he'll have a good season of growth
He's gonna have to play hero. We're gonna rely on Smallwood, Blount, and Sproles to take pressure off Wentz. That won't go well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All of the NFCE teams are very good with a flaw. The cowboys have the least flaws and the most strengths so they'll probably make it. Giants have a great defense and WRs and nothing else. Redskins have good players all over but if there was one team to completely collapse it could be them. The Eagles are a better version of the Redskins only their major flaw is still their secondary, which can be picked on all day.

It would be a shock if no wild card teams came from the east.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Joe endorsed! And joe knows
a LOT of
QB's

It's actually kinda funny. Joe endorsed Brock as the starter about a week ago and then this happened. It might actually be a good thing. He's asked every year his thoughts on who the starting QB should be, every guy he picks well you know how it ends. He didn't pick Kizer this time so we might be blessed!

They're starting 4-1

Hmmmm, friend are you trying to threaten me right now?

This feels like a threat.

Stafford is 5-46 against winning teams.

Kas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hindl

He's gonna have to play hero. We're gonna rely on Smallwood, Blount, and Sproles to take pressure off Wentz. That won't go well.
Yeah but the passing game will help the running game. Remember the first few weeks, part of the reason things went so well is that defenses were respecting the passing game. They had safeties deep and that opened up the running game. Once they realized our WRs were trash they started playing close and basically constantly stacking the box since they knew there was no deep threat. With Alshon and Torrey, hopefully the eagles can take some deep shots and force defenses back, which will open up the running game again
I still haven't seen anything to make me think the Eagles are a 9-7 team, very optimistically 10-6. That may not get you into the playoffs in this division.
Yeah I will say this is probably the overall most talented eagles rosters I've seen in a while, but that's assuming the off-season additions work out, the good players keep up their production, the bad players improve, and there are no injuries. That's a lot of assumptions
All of the NFCE teams are very good with a flaw. The cowboys have the least flaws and the most strengths so they'll probably make it. Giants have a great defense and WRs and nothing else. Redskins have good players all over but if there was one team to completely collapse it could be them. The Eagles are a better version of the Redskins only their major flaw is still their secondary, which can be picked on all day.

It would be a shock if no wild card teams came from the east.
I'd say the cowboys secondary is worse than the eagles, and their pass rush doesn't look good either. If Darby works out the eagles could actually have a good secondary. They already have a top safety tandem, and Darby can be a good number 1. The old #1 and #2 will be better as a #2 and nickel respectively

It's actually kinda funny. Joe endorsed Brock as the starter about a week ago and then this happened. It might actually be a good thing. He's asked every year his thoughts on who the starting QB should be, every guy he picks well you know how it ends. He didn't pick Kizer this time so we might be blessed!

joe

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah but the passing game will help the running game. Remember the first few weeks, part of the reason things went so well is that defenses were respecting the passing game. They had safeties deep and that opened up the running game. Once they realized our WRs were trash they started playing close and basically constantly stacking the box since they knew there was no deep threat. With Alshon and Torrey, hopefully the eagles can take some deep shots and force defenses back, which will open up the running game again

Yeah I will say this is probably the overall most talented eagles rosters I've seen in a while, but that's assuming the off-season additions work out, the good players keep up their production, the bad players improve, and there are no injuries. That's a lot of assumptions

Eagles have little depth is a big issue. A couple of key injuries and they could be terrible. That's not to say that this is an unusual problem; it describes 3/4ths of the teams out there. Most rosters aren't terrible...with everyone healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom