• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

Eagles have little depth is a big issue. A couple of key injuries and they could be terrible. That's not to say that this is an unusual problem; it describes 3/4ths of the teams out there. Most rosters aren't terrible...with everyone healthy.
True, if Alshon goes down they're pretty screwed. Elsewhere tho there's decent depth at the OL and DL. But yeah that's why I don't think they're a deep playoff team. A few key injuries easily derail the season

I mean any more than 9-7, not that they aren't. That's what I think they'll do this year. Basically, they look like a solid team in a division full of solid teams. I don't think they are a superbowl team, but I think they are a possible playoff team but so is the rest of the NFC East.

DMVfan123

Banned
While I agree the East will be pretty strong this year, do they really deserve credit as the best division in football when they're eliminated by the Packers/Seahawks seemingly every year?

While I agree the East will be pretty strong this year, do they really deserve credit as the best division in football when they're eliminated by the Packers/Seahawks seemingly every year?

They are eliminated on like world beating once in a lifetime plays/rulings. Those aren't going to happen ALL of the time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Since the NFC West collapsed they're been the division with the most competitive teams. If San Diego could just have a league average number of injuries than the AFC West would be a better example.

AFC North is perennially in the running but always have the Browns dragging them down which means one down year from the Ravens or Bengals and they go from great to LOL.

Hindl

Consider that those divisions also have the Bears, Rams, and 49ers. The top level talent is better than the East but the average talent in the East is better. The eagles were in last with a 7-9 schedule last year. That'd be good for at least 3rd in most other divisions, and the ones where it wouldn't also have the argument for best division, the AFC West and NFC South. A healthy luck could also throw the AFC South into the conversation

Rvaan

Banned
Since the NFC West collapsed they're been the division with the most competitive teams. If San Diego could just have a league average number of injuries than the AFC West would be a better example.

At least this year because of the Ravens and Fins the Chargers won't be the curve busters when it comes to injuries.

JABEE

It's still seems crazy that the punishment for cheating in the AFC Championship Game is a suspension in the regular season. It's amazing how everyone just accepts that it is okay for the person caught cheating to be enriched by his cheating after being caught cheating.

Every other sports league suspends players during the playoffs.

Bread

Banned
It's still seems crazy that the punishment for cheating in the AFC Championship Game is a suspension in the regular season. It's amazing how everyone just accepts that it is okay for the person caught cheating to be enriched by his cheating after being caught cheating.

lmao get over it dude, sheesh

I don't get the infatuation with the NFC East.

The Cowboys had an easy schedule last year and are missing their best player for 6 games. They literally might as well not field a secondary because that shits going to be straight up Swiss cheese. They're an 11 win team imo but that's the best in the division and they have SERIOUS problems.

The Giants aren't doing shit this year. Their schedule is impossible to deal with; not only are they playing 13 teams that won at least 7 games last year, they're playing a ton of games against teams coming off bye weeks and extended prep weeks. Even if they were a better team than they are, I don't think they would make the playoffs because their schedule will stop them. Also, Eli fell all the way the fuck apart last season and everybody's ignoring it because he had no run game and no offensive line. Well he still doesn't have either of those. He throws more balls into the dirt than he does on the numbers. He's done and they don't have a competent backup. They didn't crack 30 points once all year, and didn't hit 20 once in the last 6 games of the season. They got fucking shellacked by the Packers despite having such an "amazing" defense. They're going 6-10.

Philly's kind of hard to pin down. They made some moves over the offseason and things are pretty much just going to depend on how Wentz progresses. If he improved enough I can see them going 11-5 with their schedule. They match up well with a lot of teams they're scheduled with this year. But they're super thin across the board and that secondary would look just as bad as Dallas's if they didn't get Darby, who might not even be that good. I just said they could go 11-5, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went 5-11 either. I think they're an "average" team that has a favorable schedule.

The Redskins are a 4-12 team. I'm just not seeing the 8-9 wins they had the last couple years happening. That defense is straight up anemic and they did nothing to make it better. The only two teams they held under 20 points last year were the Giants and Ravens, two of the worst offenses in the league. Kirk lost his #1 and #2 receivers and I'm sorry, but you don't pull chemistry together with a new top guy that quickly. They'll be lucky to field an average running game. Kirk should've taken whatever contract was offered to him because he's not putting up almost 5000 yards again. Even if he does, they're going 6-10 at best. And to top of all off they have absolutely no depth, so one or two injuries and they're heading into Rams/Niners territory of bad.

The AFC West is far and away the best division in the league, even when the Chargers are broken. If you disagree idk what to tell you, but the NFC East definitely isn't close.

You should go on the internet and complain about it.

Hindl

I don't get the infatuation with the NFC East.
I'm pretty convinced that it's because the teams are in some of the biggest media markets in the country. It's the only reason I can think of that they constantly get so much national attention throughout the year despite the division as a whole doing nothing of note since the Giants 2011 SB run. And if you exclude the two Giants runs the division hasn't been relevant since 05. But since Dallas, NY, Philly, and Washington are all big markets, they get hype despite not really deserving it. I do think they're better than you think but they do get a lot of attention.

Zeke

AFCW vs NFCE go head to head this season we'll find out how much better the divisions really are. Hindl is correct NFCE gets coverage because of their market size.

JABEE

I'm pretty convinced that it's because the teams are in some of the biggest media markets in the country. It's the only reason I can think of that they constantly get so much national attention throughout the year despite the division as a whole doing nothing of note since the Giants 2011 SB run. And if you exclude the two Giants runs the division hasn't been relevant since 05. But since Dallas, NY, Philly, and Washington are all big markets, they get hype despite not really deserving it

This is exactly the reason why.

They are also some of the oldest, most established franchises in the NFL.

NY (1925), Philadelphia (1933), Washington (1932), and Dallas (1960).

They are the most valuable and successful division in the NFL since the merger in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFC_East

League headquarters are in NY and NFL Films is in Mount Laurel, NJ.

It's a threat to the Ravens, Colts, Jets, and Bengals. No need to fret friend.

I was threatening myself if anything 💯

I love preseason Browns hype, because I love when their fans get crushed with the reality that they're going to go 0-6 in the division again.

Sorry Kave, you're sadness is just collateral damage

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not arguing coverage or primetime games, the NFCE gets those even when all four teams sucked (that wasn't that long ago!) I'm arguing team/team composition. All four of them are flawed but have better than league average talent in many places. Giants have one of the most complete defenses...but they can't stay on the field all day. Cowboys have a great offensive line that might be able to turn scrubs into stars in the backfield, but can't defend. Eagles have a solid mix but still have a bad secondary (and maybe bad receivers and QB that regressed, can't really tell until real games are played) and the Racists have a ton of talent spread evenly throughout both sides but we don't know how they function as a unit.

dionysus

Yaldog
I'm pretty convinced that it's because the teams are in some of the biggest media markets in the country. It's the only reason I can think of that they constantly get so much national attention throughout the year despite the division as a whole doing nothing of note since the Giants 2011 SB run. And if you exclude the two Giants runs the division hasn't been relevant since 05. But since Dallas, NY, Philly, and Washington are all big markets, they get hype despite not really deserving it. I do think they're better than you think but they do get a lot of attention.

Living in small markets this is very obvious. It takes a history of dominance like the Packers, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. to get the same exposure you get from just being on the east coast in those densely populated areas. Even the west coast can't compete without a great historical record.

cdyhybrid

I heard Xia said Whataburger sucks

Living in small markets this is very obvious. It takes a history of dominance like the Packers, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. to get the same exposure you get from just being on the east coast in those densely populated areas. Even the west coast can't compete without a great historical record.

Life is just too good on the West Coast. If you live on the shitty East Coast you have to escape into sports every waking moment you can.

tmdorsey

Lets all be united and pretend everything is ok by standing for the anthem together.

Stafford is typical NFL trash.

The league is filled with so many horrible human beings.

Stay strong Kaep! You is an honorary JCB 4 life!

Hypocrites shouldn't be allowed to be a JCB, just saying.

Dude didn't vote in the election which in my mind help put Trump in office. He's against police brutality but also apparently didn't vote in local elections for county sheriff. I mean taking a knee gets more results than voting now?

I meant more so among even fan forums and analysts. I mean there's posts here that are making it sound like the entire division could make the playoffs and I definitely don't feel like that's the case.

I love preseason Browns hype, because I love when their fans get crushed with the reality that they're going to go 0-6 in the division again.

They'll definitely beat the jets and colts (assuming luck's out). The bengals could go either way, I think they're going 4-12 this year so I've got the browns in that one since they're at home. They were bad last year and lost half their offensive line, didn't really do anything to improve in the offseason for this year.

I don't trust Mallett if he's starting for Baltimore. If Flacco's back I'll bump them down to 3-2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Browns Schedule

Home for Steelers
At Ravens
At Colts
Home for Bengals
Home for Jets (could be their playoff game right here if they tank again)
At Texans
Home for Titans
Home (in London) Vikings
At Lions
Home for Jaguars
At Bengals
At Chargers
Home for Packers
Home for Ravens
At Bears
At Steelers

Kinda a rough schedule to be honest. Maybe 3-13? Probably 8-8 though.

I don't trust Mallett if he's starting for Baltimore. If Flacco's back I'll bump them down to 3-2.

Honestly, it's less of the other teams and more of the Browns being the Browns and disappointing year after year. As for the Ravens, I see Mallett/Flacco as interchangeable garbage QBs that will be working to not lose games, not win them. Ravens defense was strong last year, and looks to be even better this year. I expect them to be an 8-9 win team with or without Flacco, and solely because their D is going to be ferocious.

Browns vs steelers: W if I becleve enough
Browns vs Ravens: Flacco might not play
Browns v Colts: Luck might not play

3-0, can't believe we did it. Story of the NFL

Gobias

Banned
I only remember the party boat

0ap3000000508736.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom