• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

That article cherry picks Carr and Dak, because in hindsight they worked out. Meanwhile former first round picks are being traded for peanuts and released all over the place because the simple fact is the draft is a fucking gamble no matter how good your evaluation is.
Guess we might as well just draw names out of a hat for our draft picks then!

Yes. I disagreed with it. Asking me to read over and over again isn't going to change my mind.
I only asked over and over because your answers suggest that you didn't!

Guess we might as well just draw names out of a hat for our draft picks then!

I only asked over and over because your answers suggest that you didn't!

No, I give factual evidence that the talent evaluation is working about as well as it ever did. It's very much a crapshoot. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes Kurt Warner goes undrafted. Acting like experienced professional scouts can't adapt to a college system when it comes to scouting QBs seems ridiculous to me. Saying they are getting it wrong with spread QBs and valuing them less when several have been successful in the NFL seems ridiculous to me. You can't say there's MORE of a problem evaluating QB talent now when there was a problem evaluating QB talent before. You can give all the examples you want of them missing on spread QBs because there are plenty of examples of them just MISSING on QBs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
“Don’t blame Cable,” cry the sycophants that are one drunken night away from tattooing “In Carroll and Schneider we trust,” on their foreheads. “The Seahawks pay their O-line less than any other team in the league, he doesn’t have anything to work with,” they say. These people are full of shit. Tom Cable bills himself as a master talent developer, so much so he managed to convince the team (run by actual, honest-to-god adults) to let him try to turn a defensive lineman and a fucking basketball player into starting linemen. Meanwhile the Seahawks have drafted more linemen than any other team in the NFL since 2010, many of those picks coming in the first few rounds. How many of those picks is both halfway competent and still on the team under the careful guidance of Tom Cable, O-line Guru? Just one, Justin Britt, who needed three years starting and three different positions to reach the grand heights of no longer being one of the worst players in the entire goddamn league.

Yep. Seahawks are like the Trump of O-lines. Makes other dumpster fire lines look great in comparison.

cdyhybrid

No, I give factual evidence that the talent evaluation is working about as well as it ever did. It's very much a crapshoot. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes Kurt Warner goes undrafted. Acting like experienced professional scouts can't adapt to a college system when it comes to scouting QBs seems ridiculous to me. Saying they are getting it wrong with spread QBs and valuing them less when several have been successful in the NFL seems ridiculous to me. You can't say there's MORE of a problem evaluating QB talent now when there was a problem evaluating QB talent before.

So you say drafting is a complete crapshoot and then suggest that scouts perfectly understand college personnel.

Then you say earlier that cherry picking missed spread QBs isn't evidence, and then present cherry-picked highly drafted successful spread QBs as evidence.

Is it Oochie Wally or One Mic?

The point is that if you're still missing on these guys, your evaluation process may be flawed. I hope your team's scouts share your view that it's not worth examining and attempting to fix.

So you say drafting is a complete crapshoot and then suggest that scouts perfectly understand college personnel.

Then you say earlier that cherry picking missed spread QBs isn't evidence, and then present cherry-picked highly drafted successful spread QBs as evidence.

Is it Oochie Wally or One Mic?

The point is that if you're still missing on these guys, your evaluation process may be flawed. I hope your team's scouts share your view that it's not worth examining and attempting to fix.

You still haven't even grasped the basic premise of what I am saying, but you got close. Yes, the talent evaluation process is imperfect. It's not more flawed now because of spread, it's just as flawed as it always was. There are examples of missed drafts with spread qbs and hit drafts with spread qbs. There are examples of missed drafts with pro-style qbs and hit drafts with pro-style qbs. It's not worse now than it used to be because of <insert trend in college offense style>. It's just like it always was. Trying to pin it all down to some inability to understand any one thing is asinine.

cdyhybrid

You still haven't even grasped the basic premise of what I am saying, but you got close. Yes, the talent evaluation process is imperfect. It's not more flawed now because of spread, it's just as flawed as it always was. There are examples of missed drafts with spread qbs and hit drafts with spread qbs. There are examples of missed drafts with pro-style qbs and hit drafts with pro-style qbs. It's not worse now than it used to be because of <insert trend in college offense style>. It's just like it always was. Trying to pin it all down to some inability to understand any one thing is asinine.
Minimizing the entire offense as "any one thing" seems pretty ridiculous to me, but okay!

They don't understand the responsibilities the QBs have. They don't understand the reads the QBs have to make. They don't understand the route trees that are being run.

Now, does NO ONE in the NFL understand this? Of course not. But it's woefully uncommon.

A lot of people hear spread and just assume the QB runs the play the coach gives them and doesn't even have to think.

Minimizing the entire offense as "any one thing" seems pretty ridiculous to me, but okay!

They don't understand the responsibilities the QBs have. They don't understand the reads the QBs have to make. They don't understand the route trees that are being run.

Now, does NO ONE in the NFL understand this? Of course not. But it's woefully uncommon.

It's woefully uncommon according to one story you read that one time. And yet, in terms of real talent evaluation, they're not missing on QBs at a higher rate than they used to as far as anyone can tell.

cdyhybrid

It's woefully uncommon according to one story you read that one time. And yet, in terms of real talent evaluation, they're not missing on QBs at a higher rate than they used to as far as anyone can tell.
Woefully uncommon according to what I see on the field and what people say, actually.

If you think the league valuing Hackenberg and Cook over Prescott isn't concerning, there's no way anyone is going to convince you. Do you.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would have fired anyone who evaluated Hack as a second round talent. His film alone should make him undraftable.

Woefully uncommon according to what I see on the field and what people say, actually.

If you think the league valuing Hackenberg and Cook over Prescott isn't concerning, there's no way anyone is going to convince you. Do you.

The league evaluating literally everyone in the 1994 class better than Kurt Warner must keep you up at night all the time. In 1994 people should have been concerned that there would be no good QBs in the future, frankly.

Hack being evaluated where he was definitely was a farce. It's just a farce that has happened longer than I've been alive. It's not somehow mystically worse.

cdyhybrid

The league evaluating literally everyone in the 1994 class better than Kurt Warner must keep you up at night all the time. In 1994 people should have been concerned that there would be no good QBs in the future, frankly.

Hack being evaluated where he was definitely was a farce. It's just a farce that has happened longer than I've been alive. It's not somehow mystically worse.
Whatever you say, man.

Just don't come complaining when the Brady/Rivers/Ben/Eli wave retires and there are five decent QBs left in the NFL.

Aborted/CDY low key worst nflgaf rivalry
There's no rivalry. Just someone that is interested in better QB play and someone who thinks it's unfixable.

Whatever you say, man.

Just don't come complaining when the Brady/Rivers/Ben/Eli wave retires and there are five decent QBs left in the NFL.

There's no rivalry. Just someone that is interested in better QB play and someone who thinks it's unfixable.

I won't come complaining because of two reasons: I think more good QBs will develop. Some may be on the bench behind those guys. Secondly, I realize that quality of play isn't a guarantee in any era of sports.

I'm just as interested in good QB play as you are, I just don't think the lack of talent is down to talent evaluation. I think we've just had some bad QB crops, and the ones we've had that could have been good have been put in losing situations. Being patient with prospective QBs and setting them up to be successful instead of throwing them to the lions would help.

Hiring a half-decent QB who protested instead of blackballing him from the league would also help.

RBH and DM vs Everyone is the real stuff you want to see during the Superhero Era

The tagline "The Olds Can Still Go" is kinda unimaginative tho

BaeG vs F is good for comedy

We're actually very good friends now. You would know if you weren't busy being a snek. Hisss hisss hisss #snek
giphy.gif

kaiju

FMT appears to have a fan:

@mattbarrows
@ChrisBiderman I will remember you/will you remember me?
Don't let your life pass you by/ Weep not for the memories

Or maybe he IS Matt Barrows (49ers Sac Bee reporter).

Who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom