• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

I didn't realize BG was such a bitch. :O
It is known.

Once a bitch always a bitch.

After the shit he pulled during the Switch launch nothing he could do would surprise me (unless it was awesome, that would be a shock to all of us).

I didn't want to tell Kave because it might break his heart but I always suspected the whole Browns thing was a front and that BG is really a Tom Brady stan underneath it all....

manfestival

I am moving out of my roommates place and leaving all my stuff at my moms place to go on a long adventure. GAF this is all starting to feel so real.

Sanjuro

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...y-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching

h3bMwrz.jpg

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...lem-evaluation-spread-dak-prescott-derek-carr

TL;DR: The NFL is getting worse at evaluating QBs because they still don't understand college offenses.

I find this whole line of reasoning to be bogus. Completely bogus.

It's like holding up Tom Brady and saying they had a talent evaluation problem then. Or Russel Wilson.

If the two prospects are tied, it's a logical tie breaker to use pro-style offense as a differentiation, because it's less the QB has to learn to get up to speed in the pros. It's basic logic.

It's also not as if teams are incapable of evaluating QBs on their rosters. The whole bull about them getting lost in the shuffle makes no sense. Did Dak get lost in the shuffle? Clearly not.

cdyhybrid

I find this whole line of reasoning to be bogus. Completely bogus.

It's like holding up Tom Brady and saying they had a talent evaluation problem then. Or Russel Wilson.

If the two prospects are tied, it's a logical tie breaker to use pro-style offense as a differentiation, because it's less the QB has to learn to get up to speed in the pros. It's basic logic.

It's also not as if teams are incapable of evaluating QBs on their rosters. The whole bull about them getting lost in the shuffle makes no sense. Did Dak get lost in the shuffle? Clearly not.
Did you read the article? The Cowboys were going to take Connor Cook over Dak strictly because he played in a pro-style offense. That's completely indefensible in hindsight.

The whole point of the article is that NFL teams incorrectly assume college QBs that played in a non-pro-style offense have significantly more to learn.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A lot of GMs are gun shy on "spread offense" QBs because a lot of them bust out when trying to learn how to read the field, athletic talent or height be damned. Pro style QBs are thought to be easier to teach because they've already spent a number of years learning the JV version of this in college. It makes sense but with almost all the top talent these days playing spread you need to look for other things, and the article goes into that with Dak especially.

Let's not forget that Dak went to the perfect team for being a rookie QB. One with a great running game and an outstanding offensive line. The same thing happened to Brady. Bledsoe as much as I love him needed all the time in the world to get the ball out and thus the Patriots were built to strong up front to give him that time.

Did you read the article? The Cowboys were going to take Connor Cook over Dak strictly because he played in a pro-style offense. That's completely indefensible in hindsight.

Wow you mean hindsight is 20/20? Imagine that.

I have two guys I've evaluated to be equal. One guy plays the same way I currently play. Logic dictates the guy that plays the way I do should be the one I pick, all other things being equal.

Did they evaluate Dak wrong? Sure. But that evaluation could happen regardless of which offensive style he played. Wilson played pro-style in college and went in the 3rd. Did they not know how to evaluate a pro-style offense because they evaluated what should have been a first round talent wrong? Cousins too.

cdyhybrid

Wow you mean hindsight is 20/20? Imagine that.

I have two guys I've evaluated to be equal. One guy plays the same way I currently play. Logic dictates the guy that plays the way I do should be the one I pick, all other things being equal.

Did they evaluate Dak wrong? Sure. But that evaluation could happen regardless of which offensive style he played. Wilson played pro-style in college and went in the 3rd. Did they not know how to evaluate a pro-style offense because they evaluated what should have been a first round talent wrong? Cousins too.
The knock on Wilson was his height. That's it. If he was 6'4" he'd have been a top ten pick.

The whole point of the article is that they are evaluating spread QBs wrong because they aren't looking any deeper than what offense they play in. Shrugging your shoulders and saying that's impossible to fix seems pretty stupid to me.

WYTS Seahawks http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-seattle-seahawks-1798657931

Our starting quarterback is openly despised by 1/2 the team.
God bless the Falcons for valiantly taking the Epic Super Bowl Chokejob mantle away from us.
This half-decade stretch of quality, competitive football has been marked with an underlying sadness that this is probably the best sports is ever going to make me feel in my lifetime.
Come on. Fuck this shit. I hate my team.
jc8kldeqryxm0alh0hhs.jpg
In 2016, the Seahawks played three games without scoring a touchdown; the only other teams who can say that are the Rams and Jets.

The knock on Wilson was his height. That's it. If he was 6'4" he'd have been a top ten pick.

The whole point of the article is that they are evaluating spread QBs wrong. Shrugging your shoulders and saying that's impossible to fix seems pretty stupid to me.

I know, and my point is I don't think they're evaluating spread QBs wrong, or that there is actually a problem. I just think that talent evaluation is not a perfect science, so holding up any individual drafts as evidence of that is silly. I could easily say the NFL can correctly evaluate spread QBs because Marcus Mariota went 2nd overall and has looked great in the pros.

Saying talent evaluation is the problem is just bogus to me. They have more of a problem in throwing young QBs into situations they are way over their head, or throwing them onto teams that are in terrible roster shape and expecting them to be the sole difference makers. I think that's causing more issues with finding "the guy" than draft talent evaluation is.

cdyhybrid

I know, and my point is I don't think they're evaluating spread QBs wrong, or that there is actually a problem. I just think that talent evaluation is not a perfect science, so holding up any individual drafts as evidence of that is silly. I could easily say the NFL can correctly evaluate spread QBs because Marcus Mariota went 2nd overall and has looked great in the pros.

Saying talent evaluation is the problem is just bogus to me. They have more of a problem in throwing young QBs into situations they are way over their head, or throwing them onto teams that are in terrible roster shape and expecting them to be the sole difference makers. I think that's causing more issues with finding "the guy" than draft talent evaluation is.
The article isn't only using individual drafts as evidence.

Did you read it?

That article cherry picks Carr and Dak, because in hindsight they worked out. Meanwhile former first round picks are being traded for peanuts and released all over the place because the simple fact is the draft is a fucking gamble no matter how good your evaluation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom