• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
I hope to god I show up on the next episode. I've been to training camp enough where the cameras should have caught me.

RBH

Obviously Valve knows something that the rest of us don't.

XS5LK.gif

2017 Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Preview -

Major storylines -

Dan Rooney passed away this offseason. Not only did the man own the Steelers, he was personally picked by Barack Obama to bring democracy to godless Ireland. He is lauded not as an owner, but as a fine human being and he will be missed. That said, he wasn't instrumental to the running of the team since he left on his ambassadorship. Football wise, the team brings back 21 out of 22 starters and the entirety of the coaching staff. This preseason is more about bringing on the younger players and coalescing. The biggest football stories, therefore, are the possible return of Martavis Bryant and the contract holdout of Le'Veon Bell.

Key losses -

Lawrence Timmons - LB - MIA (FA)

Key additions/draft picks -

Tyson Alualu - DE (FA), Justin Hunter - WR (FA), TJ Watt - OLB (1), JuJu Smith-Schuster - WR (2), Cam Sutton - CB (3)

Timmons will be difficult to replace and possibly make inside linebacker a weakness on the team. Alualu and Hunter will add depth but won't start. I have issues with the Steelers' draft in terms of need and value. They are all upstanding young men who love the game and those qualities were something that Pittsburgh obviously valued throughout the process.

Camp position battles -

While I had imagined paring these down to three or four players fighting over one spot, the Steelers are so deep at one position and thin at another that these are going to be a bit more extensive.

WR - This position was a major problem for the Steelers in 2016. The year long suspension of Martavis Bryant left the team without a number 2. Sammie Coates was on fire at the beginning of the year. He caught 19 passes for 421 yards and 2 TDs in the first 5 weeks. He then broke his hand and never recovered, whether it be physically or mentally. In the aftermath, the team didn't have a consistent or reliable deep threat. They did, however, have a bunch of high level number 3 type receivers. Few roster spots are guaranteed and roles are undefined, other than Antonio Brown's, of course.

Martavis Bryant - Will be the clear cut number two receiver, filling the explosive deep shot role. He is, however, currently suspended by the league and is a blunt away from being out of football forever.

Sammie Coates - In addition to what I wrote above, I should note that he played a lot of special teams with that broken hand. He's currently on the pup list after knee surgery.

Darius Heyward-Bey - Al Davis special. Still can't catch, but still has speed. A special teams stalwart who will be difficult to cut.

Justin Hunter - Brought in as a free agent, he has wowed so far in camp. 6'4" with 4.4 speed usually looks good in practice. Can he show enough in preseason games to secure a spot?

JuJu Smith-Schuster - A surprise second round pick. The youngest player in the league is a physical receiver. I believe the team is hoping he'll develop into a Hines Ward type, willing to block and make the tough catches.

Eli Rogers - The slot receiver last year. Shows good hands and an ability to get open. There are rumors of bad work habits. He's been wearing a hardhat around camp, so maybe he's trying to change perceptions.

Demarcus Ayers - Also played quite a bit late last year. More of a shifty, slot type. He was drafted to hopefully return punts.

Cobi Hamilton - Split time last year on the outside. Has potential, but must show it to make the team this year.

CB - A true weakness on the Steelers is the inability to cover. This is due to a bunch of factors, a lack of talent, a lack of experience, a lack of pressure on the passer and bad schemes. Defensive coordinator, Keith Butler, promises more press man coverage this year. Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell and pretty much assured to be the day one starters. Can they be challenged? Who will play the slot? Will there be quality depth?

Artie Burns - Last year's first round draft pick is still raw and learning. A big reason why the Steelers ran a lot of vanilla coverages in 2016 was Burns' lack of understanding of the defense. Hopefully he's had his nose in the playbook. Has been covering Antonio Brown all camp, so his man-to-man skills are being honed.

Ross Cockrell - The best corner on the team last year, he's physically limited but a heady player.

William Gay - The slot corner is being caught and brought down by father time. Knows the defense inside and out, so he has a leg up.

Coty Sensabaugh - Brought in as a free agent from the Titans. Has starting experience, but once again, not the greatest of athletes.

Cam Sutton - A third round pick this year. Is praised for his work ethic and knowledge of the game. Has been hurt all of camp, putting him well behind.

Senquez Golson - Second round pick in 2015. Has missed the last two years due to injury and is currently missing camp with a hamstring pull. I have high hopes for the guy, but he has to get on the field.

Mike Hilton - A college team mate of Golson. Is undersized but fiesty. Might be a possibility in the slot.

Brian Allen - A fifth round flyer. Has great size and athleticism, but is a converted wideout and extremely raw as a corner.

Final thoughts -

Hopefully, injuries don't define the camp battles and things can be settled on the field. The team needs to bring some of the more promising pieces up to speed and another deep playoff run should be in the offing.

Good write up, only a few comments.

Justin Hunter has always looked good in shorts. He shies away from contact, and the Steelers hate players like that. Have to judge him from his preseason tape.

Golson is done. Shy of him being Deion Sanders in the preseason (if he ever gets there) he just can't be trusted to stay healthy. I think it would take a miracle for him to make this team.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Speaking of the Browns, it looks like the greatest QB in their history, Derek Anderson, will be getting the first team reps for the Panthers tomorrow night.

Antonio Romo's broadcasting debut and Anderson starting? Highly highly highly anticipated game folks!

Playing tonight but will have the game on PVR so I don't miss a thing.

I respect my good friend Mech's Houston Texans but even he knows Derek Anderson cannot be contained. But luckily it's preseason so I predict a 45-35 Texans win. All 35 Panthers points are scored by Derek Anderson throwing to himself for TDs.

Tracy McGrady was drafted 20 years ago.

Maaan I wish he stayed with my Raps. Just thinking about Vince & TMac together...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

Details on #Falcons RB Devonta Freeman's new 5-year, $41.25M extension: He gets $22M in guarantees. $26M over three years. $15M to sign.

*Remembers that Le'Veon Bell turned down $42M over 3 years.

gutshot

Just watched Hard Knocks...

Fitzpatrick is on the Bucs now? Wow, I missed that signing. Who the hell is the QB for the Jets?

I like Jameis. He seems like a genuinely nice dude. I'm gonna chalk up the crab legs and stuff to him just being a dumb college kid.

HBO with that cross-promotion at the end there, with everyone talking about GoT. Nice one.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Fitzpatrick is on the Bucs now? Wow, I missed that signing. Who the hell is the QB for the Jets?

I like Jameis. He seems like a genuinely nice dude. I'm gonna chalk up the crab legs and stuff to him just being a dumb college kid.

HBO with that cross-promotion at the end there, with everyone talking about GoT. Nice one.
None other than NFL superstar, CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG!!!!

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

Details on #Falcons RB Devonta Freeman's new 5-year, $41.25M extension: He gets $22M in guarantees. $26M over three years. $15M to sign.

*Remembers that Le'Veon Bell turned down $42M over 3 years.

That's the same amount of guaranteed money that Kyle Korver got from the Cavs this offseason, and Kyle Korver is like 48 years old.

Mindlog

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay.
t5bZboC.gif

cdyhybrid

What do you chalk up the rape to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom