• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably the most I would give him. 1st preseason game I think the starters shouldn't really play more than a drive or two

For Wentz though it's kind of making up lost time. I know injury risk is problematic, but it would be great to get him as much work in preseason as possible.

So Cam may get to play once this preseason....

Good thing we have Christian McCaffrey, who by virtue of various intangibles (like the whiteness of his skin), should be a superior quarterback!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
2017 Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Preview -

Major storylines -

Dan Rooney passed away this offseason. Not only did the man own the Steelers, he was personally picked by Barack Obama to bring democracy to godless Ireland. He is lauded not as an owner, but as a fine human being and he will be missed. That said, he wasn't instrumental to the running of the team since he left on his ambassadorship. Football wise, the team brings back 21 out of 22 starters and the entirety of the coaching staff. This preseason is more about bringing on the younger players and coalescing. The biggest football stories, therefore, are the possible return of Martavis Bryant and the contract holdout of Le'Veon Bell.

Key losses -

Lawrence Timmons - LB - MIA (FA)

Key additions/draft picks -

Tyson Alualu - DE (FA), Justin Hunter - WR (FA), TJ Watt - OLB (1), JuJu Smith-Schuster - WR (2), Cam Sutton - CB (3)

Timmons will be difficult to replace and possibly make inside linebacker a weakness on the team. Alualu and Hunter will add depth but won't start. I have issues with the Steelers' draft in terms of need and value. They are all upstanding young men who love the game and those qualities were something that Pittsburgh obviously valued throughout the process.

Camp position battles -

While I had imagined paring these down to three or four players fighting over one spot, the Steelers are so deep at one position and thin at another that these are going to be a bit more extensive.

WR - This position was a major problem for the Steelers in 2016. The year long suspension of Martavis Bryant left the team without a number 2. Sammie Coates was on fire at the beginning of the year. He caught 19 passes for 421 yards and 2 TDs in the first 5 weeks. He then broke his hand and never recovered, whether it be physically or mentally. In the aftermath, the team didn't have a consistent or reliable deep threat. They did, however, have a bunch of high level number 3 type receivers. Few roster spots are guaranteed and roles are undefined, other than Antonio Brown's, of course.

Martavis Bryant - Will be the clear cut number two receiver, filling the explosive deep shot role. He is, however, currently suspended by the league and is a blunt away from being out of football forever.

Sammie Coates - In addition to what I wrote above, I should note that he played a lot of special teams with that broken hand. He's currently on the pup list after knee surgery.

Darius Heyward-Bey - Al Davis special. Still can't catch, but still has speed. A special teams stalwart who will be difficult to cut.

Justin Hunter - Brought in as a free agent, he has wowed so far in camp. 6'4" with 4.4 speed usually looks good in practice. Can he show enough in preseason games to secure a spot?

JuJu Smith-Schuster - A surprise second round pick. The youngest player in the league is a physical receiver. I believe the team is hoping he'll develop into a Hines Ward type, willing to block and make the tough catches.

Eli Rogers - The slot receiver last year. Shows good hands and an ability to get open. There are rumors of bad work habits. He's been wearing a hardhat around camp, so maybe he's trying to change perceptions.

Demarcus Ayers - Also played quite a bit late last year. More of a shifty, slot type. He was drafted to hopefully return punts.

Cobi Hamilton - Split time last year on the outside. Has potential, but must show it to make the team this year.

CB - A true weakness on the Steelers is the inability to cover. This is due to a bunch of factors, a lack of talent, a lack of experience, a lack of pressure on the passer and bad schemes. Defensive coordinator, Keith Butler, promises more press man coverage this year. Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell and pretty much assured to be the day one starters. Can they be challenged? Who will play the slot? Will there be quality depth?

Artie Burns - Last year's first round draft pick is still raw and learning. A big reason why the Steelers ran a lot of vanilla coverages in 2016 was Burns' lack of understanding of the defense. Hopefully he's had his nose in the playbook. Has been covering Antonio Brown all camp, so his man-to-man skills are being honed.

Ross Cockrell - The best corner on the team last year, he's physically limited but a heady player.

William Gay - The slot corner is being caught and brought down by father time. Knows the defense inside and out, so he has a leg up.

Coty Sensabaugh - Brought in as a free agent from the Titans. Has starting experience, but once again, not the greatest of athletes.

Cam Sutton - A third round pick this year. Is praised for his work ethic and knowledge of the game. Has been hurt all of camp, putting him well behind.

Senquez Golson - Second round pick in 2015. Has missed the last two years due to injury and is currently missing camp with a hamstring pull. I have high hopes for the guy, but he has to get on the field.

Mike Hilton - A college team mate of Golson. Is undersized but fiesty. Might be a possibility in the slot.

Brian Allen - A fifth round flyer. Has great size and athleticism, but is a converted wideout and extremely raw as a corner.

Final thoughts -

Hopefully, injuries don't define the camp battles and things can be settled on the field. The team needs to bring some of the more promising pieces up to speed and another deep playoff run should be in the offing.

cdyhybrid

J5sKVrl.jpg

#Bort

Oh my God, I won tickets to the Colts home opener against the Cardinals.

I haven't been to a Colts game since Dan Orlovsky started...

I AM SO EXCITED.

Hindl

For Wentz though it's kind of making up lost time. I know injury risk is problematic, but it would be great to get him as much work in preseason as possible.
I dunno, last year I could've seen this, but he already has a full NFL season under his belt. I don't think he has much lost time to make up anymore. I'd be fine with him staying out a little longer in the 2nd and 3rd game, but the 1st game I don't really see the point. And would the other starters stay out too?

Beach

Apparently the Bills put Reggie Ragland on the block, a year after they drafted him in the 2nd last year and he slipped to third team defense.

Remember when the Pats had to contend for their division?

Rvaan

Banned
Apparently the Bills put Reggie Ragland on the block, a year after they drafted him in the 2nd last year and he slipped to third team defense.

The Bills traded a 2nd and 2 4ths to move up 8 spots to take a player they might trade 2 years later.

Sounds like he doesn't fit into McDermott's scheme. Raiders should take a look at him. God knows we are ILB poor.

Hindl

Brandon Brooks has had a strained ankle the past two days, Chance Warmack has taken his spot at RG. They'll probably hold Brooks out of the Packers game and start Warmack. May as well see how he's come along. He's gotten praise as a run blocker, which probably means his pass pro is shit. But we'll see what we have with him. Seems like he's developing as a depth player at least. I wasn't sure he was even going to make the team in the spring

I believe Hard Knocks starts tonight, I would like to say some words prior.

Jameis will put on a show, he'll probably make you laugh. You might think he's alright, DM might even pop in and say Jameis is a Hero. That is a lie, Jameis is not a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom