• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Conference Championships |OT| MS Paint edition because of lazy/busy hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

The Broncos and Seahawks are by far the two best teams in the league this season, so I'm going to be very disappointed if Peyton Manning and Richard Sherman are the only two people that are discussed by the media the next two weeks. There are so many more interesting storylines that could be explored with these two teams.

Nameless

On the other hand, that is a season defining maybe career defining play that Sherman made to put your team in the SB. That's kinda huge.

There's going to be emotions in the game, it happens to the greatest, I am sure it happens to us as well. Not very graceful way of how he handled it for sure but if you just made the play of your life against the player talking smack about you all year, I am sure most will of us would have erupted as well.

Pretty sure he'll grow from this but we are just making too much of it. Okay I am gonna stop talking about this in this thread and leave the discussion in the other thread in OT.

Exactly. So why try and go start shit when you just made the play of your life to put your team in the Game of games? If his issues were that serious with Crabtree he should have addressed them instead of trolling and only reciprocating Crabs' aggressive response after the man had left the field.

Please, don't get me wrong. I'm always for a good heel promo, but don't be convenient bad ass.

No football fan can objectively look at who was playing for the pats and think that unit was capable of putting up good numbers.

That's easy to say now, but pre-game there were many pundits picking the Patriots, and even the ones who weren't didn't say anything like the above. Besides, they did put up good numbers their last 3 games.

Pre-game it's maybe 55/45 or 60/40 at worst, Belichick's record vs. Fox, vs. Del Rio, vs. Manning is unbeatable, etc. Post-game it's "they never had a chance". Don't do that, it's just trying to devalue a big win. Not nice.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The Broncos and Seahawks are by far the two best teams in the league this season, so I'm going to be very disappointed if Peyton Manning and Richard Sherman are the only two people that are discussed by the media the next two weeks. There are so many more interesting storylines that could be explored with these two teams.

Who didn't see this matchup coming from the start of the season? Hell the only team I thought could take a run at the SB besides seattle in the NFC was the niners and that wasn't even until Crabtree came back and Colin no longer looked like Alex Smith... but then he regressed again.

bionic77

Did I not just say Peyton is right there with Tom? You're missing the point of my argument. I don't care about stacked teams or state of teams. Brady had a stacked team in 07 he broke the record. He had a solid team in 10 and he broke records. he hasn't had an above average outside receiver since moss and he's continued to produce. This is the one year he had nobody, and his numbers sagged, but it was far from all on him.

My point is post spygate Tom has done amazing things, and has been 1 play away from winning 2 superbowls. Obviously there's context to all of it, but the post-spygate thing is so overblown. The only QB who has done as much as Tom post spy-gate is Peyton, and he can pull ahead of Tom post-spygate with an SB win here. If Ocho had panned out, if welker didn't drop the ball, if Gronk wasn't made of glass, if Aaron wasn't made of glass as well, so on so forth etc etc etc. it can go on forever. The point is the numbers are similar before and after. There was a perfect storm that led to Tom winning 3 early with TOs leg and Mcnabb throwing up, with Ty Law being the beast he was, with Tom coming into his prime, but there has also been a perfect storm for just about every dynasty. We can agree to disagree, but spygate is something bitter fans cling to like a safety blanket. There's a reason Tom is still considered one of the greats.

edit- I also think it's ridiculous pretty much nobody can have a level headed conversation about it, which is fine I get it it's gaf. Everywhere else I've talked can keep it level headed and consider the facts, this is why I pretty much never get into it. I'm not a homer, I may be biased, but I try my best not to be, but I can't help but root for the home team, but I also accept when a player or team isn't as good.
Don't ask me to be level headed about pure evil.

Am I supposed to pretend that Stalin and Hitler (I consider them to be OG Pat fans) were great men because they were good leaders with excellent stats?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That's easy to say now, but pre-game there were many pundits picking the Patriots, and even the ones who weren't didn't say anything like the above. Besides, they did put up good numbers their last 3 games.

Pre-game it's maybe 55/45 or 60/40 at worst, Belichick's record vs. Fox, vs. Del Rio, vs. Manning is unbeatable, etc. Post-game it's "they never had a chance". Don't do that, it's just trying to devalue a big win. Not nice.

Oh give me a break, when the hell did I buy into any of that? Please go back and read my thoughts on the game. I was shocked the pats got to where they were, hell preseason I had them just barely making the post season if even. The defense is a mess, there top 5 weapons were gone to injury, murders, or free agency, and then as the season went on it became more clear with the injuries to their top players- Mayo, Wilfork, Amendola, Gronk for the 2nd time, Vereen, Spikes, Dennard, etc etc.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Don't ask me to be level headed about pure evil.

Am I supposed to pretend that Stalin and Hitler (I consider them to be OG Pat fans) were great men because they were good leaders with excellent stats?

Thanks for proving my point about you being one of the bigger sensationalists in the thread :). But again this is why I don't get into 90% of the stuff said, but I get it, it's gaf people are just playing their parts.

bionic77

Its always like that pregame. MS is right that anyone with a brain (sorry lunchbox and Gata) could see that the Pats were destined to get embarrassed in the playoffs. They were extremely fortunate to have had the record they did. Even against a weak schedule.

Wilson will get some attention, if nothing else we'll see the "new generation of quarterback vs. the old, traditional pocket passer" angle.

The Broncos receivers already got some, as a group, that's sure to get another look.

Champ will get a few nods.

No way does Marshawn Lynch go overlooked, I guarantee at least one "Taming the Beast" or "How do you tame the Beast?" highlight.

Trent Dilfer was on the Herd (awful show, by the way, Colin Cowherd sounds like he's just reading Twitter fights on air, but that's what's on while I drive to work) this morning describing Seattle as the scrappy underdog, none-of-us-were-1st-round-picks, us against the world team, I'm sure that'll play for the team as a whole.

I'm gonna eat it all up. Yummy.

cdyhybrid

Sherm and Peyton will dominate the coverage, but maybe we'll get a small piece here or there on other guys. I'd love to see more stuff about guys like Baldwin, but I don't have much faith that we will.

Oh give me a break, when the hell did I buy into any of that? Please go back and read my thoughts on the game. I was shocked the pats got to where they were, hell preseason I had them just barely making the post season if even. The defense is a mess, there top 5 weapons were gone to injury, murders, or free agency, and then as the season went on it became more clear with the injuries to their top players- Mayo, Wilfork, Amendola, Gronk for the 2nd time, Vereen, Spikes, Dennard, etc etc.

That wasn't directed at you personally, I honestly don't even know who's who most of the time. But you said "no objective football fan", and that's crazy. Plenty of objective onlookers said otherwise.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Its always like that pregame. MS is right that anyone with a brain (sorry lunchbox and Gata) could see that the Pats were destined to get embarrassed in the playoffs. They were extremely fortunate to have had the record they did. Even against a weak schedule.

Look at some of their wins, the saints? Fluke. The browns? Are you kidding me? Multiple games they were severely outplayed. They didn't have anybody left on either side of the ball, I agree with you and broncs fans. They were outplayed because the other team was better.

also Broncos fan lets get some asterisks going for elway, and peyton!

“The San Diego Chargers increased their security several years ago at a hill overlooking the practice field at the team facility during weeks when they played the Denver Broncos. Why? It turns out Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices. The NFL had been aware of it for several years (at least one NFL official had seen one of the tapes), but didn’t step in because it was considered a team issue.”

edit- also if seahawks win big asterisk there, for Adderall reasons.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
More asterisks for Elway!

"The NFL said Thursday it fined the Denver Broncos $950,000 and took away the team’s third-round draft pick in 2005 for circumventing the salary cap between 1996-98.

The salary-cap violations included undisclosed agreements with several players to defer salary payments with interest, and a commitment by the Broncos in 1997 not to waive a player before a certain date. The players involved in the violations were not named."

usatsi_7686518.jpg

That is pretty shitty...

Doomsayer

Game was over, but there weren't 0's on the clock.

Sherm was trying to instigate as he always does. You don't "congratulate" someone after the play literally just happened and there is still time on the clock.

jakncoke

Banned
Are we really trying to argue against the facts that Sherman while very good is a mega cunt and a mega troll and instigates shit left and right to jerk off to later?

Hunter S.

More asterisks for Elway!

"The NFL said Thursday it fined the Denver Broncos $950,000 and took away the team’s third-round draft pick in 2005 for circumventing the salary cap between 1996-98.

The salary-cap violations included undisclosed agreements with several players to defer salary payments with interest, and a commitment by the Broncos in 1997 not to waive a player before a certain date. The players involved in the violations were not named."

Damn, they were the best team in 96 too. Stupid fucken Jag spoilers. Should have been 3 championships in a row!

Considering the small penalty it must have been chump change type of cheating.

Are we really trying to argue against the facts that Sherman while very good is a mega cunt and a mega troll and instigates shit left and right to jerk off to later?

This...I don't get it, is there something surprising here that I'm not seeing? He fucken called out skip on live tv, is this really that unexpected? Dude is a douche, maybe he's a nice guy off the field away from football, good for him but even if he isn't I doubt he's going to come over to one of our homes and kick our pets or insult our family. Sherman plays the douche and maybe really is a douche, I'm sure every single one of our teams is full of them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn, they were the best team in 96 too. Stupid fucken Jag spoilers. Should have been 3 championships in a row!

Considering the small penalty it must have been chump change type of cheating.

Small penalty? Bigger fine than the pats got.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Did they lose a first round draft pick though?

no but the 17-0* dolphins did

"Shula demanded a great deal to leave the Colts – not only a large and long-term contract, but a percentage of the team; he was also made a vice-president. It was determined by NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle that Robbie had been guilty of tampering in his pursuit of Shula, and so the Dolphins also had to surrender their first draft pick for 1971 to the Colts as well (Baltimore used the pick to select RB Don McCauley from North Carolina). "

edit-
A third round pick lost is bigger than a first round pick?

The money side of it, I agree the first rounders bigger... read above though. The point is you can cling to it all you want, so many teams have been penalized the same and so many coaches have admitted to the same... hell I remember reading taping signals wasn't even deemed illegal until 06.

no but the 17-0* dolphins did

"Shula demanded a great deal to leave the Colts – not only a large and long-term contract, but a percentage of the team; he was also made a vice-president. It was determined by NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle that Robbie had been guilty of tampering in his pursuit of Shula, and so the Dolphins also had to surrender their first draft pick for 1971 to the Colts as well (Baltimore used the pick to select RB Don McCauley from North Carolina). "

edit-

The money side of it, I agree the first rounders bigger... read above though. The point is you can cling to it all you want, so many teams have been penalized the same and so many coaches have admitted to the same... hell I remember reading taping signals wasn't even deemed illegal until 06.

Yeah but that was before we got both superbowls, so no asterisk needed

Haven't you learned to not post in Gaming or OT? Actually just stay in the fort even if its not as safe as it used to be.

I didn't post! I just lurk now from here safe in the fort.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah but that was before we got both superbowls, so no asterisk needed

I didn't post! I just lurk now from here safe in the fort.

Lol keep thinking that... it's not like Shula had any part in winning those superbowls, and the only reason he was there was because of tampering right?

Hunter S.

edit-

I never clinged to any cheating mantra about the Patriots. Others do, usually the fans that had teams that were dominated by the Patriots. Everyone seems to cheat really. That is a topic beyond where I will go.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I never clinged to any cheating mantra about the Patriots. Others do, usually the fans that had teams that were dominated by the Patriots. Everyone seems to cheat really. That is a topic beyond where I will go.

Alright I'm alright with that, I'm just saying it's stupid childish arguments, just trying for once to have a level headed conversation about it, instead since nobody can really come back with some valid retort they use backwards logic or make jokes and go back into character, which I'm completely ok, tone doesn't translate well through text. I understand what this thread is and I understand the internet is full of trolls, but nobody in the real world actually believes the whole asterisk debate unless they're butthurt or they know nothing about sports.

Lets add one more to the list.

Drew brees super bowl champ!.......... *

"The Saints organization was fined $500,000, and forced to forfeit their second-round draft selections in 2012 and 2013."

Two picks and the first coach to get suspended a whole season.

jakncoke

Banned
lol at the delicate flower bringing up things that happened in the 90s and 70s to make himself feel better about Patriots crimes and sins against humanity. Next he'll bring up Steelers roids and coke like we were the only ones. I bet Al Davis had a direct line from Colombia!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
lol at the delicate flower bringing up things that happened in the 90s and 70s to make himself feel better about Patriots crimes and sins against humanity. Next he'll bring up Steelers roids and coke like were the only ones. I bet Al Davis had a direct line from Colombia!

And here come the characters... he'll cling to the patriots taping signals as if they were the only ones!

rokkerkory

yeah same here... the bronco's receivers matching up with hawks secondary is going to be amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom