• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL - Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott Suspended 6 Games

What happens if we get a reverse ray rice here? Where tmz leaks a video that exposes the injuries the nfl is citing are fradulent and weren't caused by Zeke? Would the nfl stick to its guns the way the cowboys did when lucky whitehead got kicked off the team for a crime he didn't commit?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Still Not watching their product until they get their shit right with Kap.

Taking this long to come up with this decision is stupid in itself. there was a no tolerance 6 game suspension for any of this shit.

F the NFL

How many games was Kaepernick suspended for by the NFL?

As of right now, he has been suspended since the end of last season. Lets see when he gets off.

Still Not watching their product until they get their shit right.

Taking this long to come up with this decision is stupid in itself. there was a no tolerance 6 game suspension for any of this shit.

F the NFL

Why is it stupid? They were investigating multiple incidents that required interviewing witnesses, victims and experts while dealing with both the local PD and the DA. Sure, it took a while, but what makes you equipped to make the judgement that it should have been swifter?

You can't honestly think a no tolerance policy without a thorough investigation is a good policy to have. That would leave NFL players extremely susceptible to blackmail and fraud.

Yeah ok. They screwed up collective bargaining. That this makes them useless in everything they've done since is childish hyperbole, but you knew that already.
How are they the only major sports league in North American with no guaranteed contracts for players? Especially for a cash cow league that the NFL is.

That alone makes them the worst union out of the 4 sports. And I say that as a hockey fan who has had to endure lockout after lockout after lockout.

They also went from receiving 59% of net revenues to 47% in exchange for what exactly? Essentially post-retirement benefits which the league was getting hammered on anyway because of their shitty handling re: concussions.

Rookie contracts were dramatically reduced, incentivizing teams to not give a shit about average league vets when they can try to fill that with cheap labour and rookies playing for minimal salary in what used to be their prime earning years.

This is bs.. it's ok though with the great wall of Dallas all our backs will be great. Plus cowboys are better than the no champion egals, the littles, and whose the other team...? The 4skins? Haha

Rookie contracts were dramatically reduced, incentivizing teams to not give a shit about average league vets when they can try to fill that with cheap labour and rookies playing for minimal salary in what used to be their prime earning years.

While I agree that the NFLPA is completely weak and terrible, this part is not really true. Because of the salary floor, teams are required to spend over 89% of the cap. And because rookie contracts have been lowered, NFL teams had no choice but to raise the average salaries of veteran players.

beta_fuse

This is bs.. it's ok though with the great wall of Dallas all our backs will be great. Plus cowboys are better than the no champion egals, the littles, and whose the other team...? The 4skins? Haha

Dude come on. If this guy really did what he's been accused of you need to take a step back and forget the rivalry or even the actual sport of football for a second. This guy abused a woman.

Im reading more stuff now about how the NFL picked and chose the evidence it was going to use, disregarding a lot of facts that go against their claim but in the even then until proven otherwise this guy needs to be looked at as a POS.

Dude come on. If this guy really did what he's been accused of you need to take a step back and forget the rivalry or even the actual sport of football for a second. This guy abused a woman.

Im reading more stuff now about how the NFL picked and chose the evidence it was going to use, disregarding a lot of facts that go against their claim but in the even then until proven otherwise this guy needs to be looked at as a POS.

That's the frustrating part about this. If Elliott actually did what the NFL says he did, 6 games is soft. But if he didn't do it, then any games is bullshit.

The NFL is still trying to have their cake and eat it too. Did the guy beat the shit out of his girlfriend for a week straight? If so, then who thinks that's only worth 6 games? This suspension really fails on every level.

I did read about it, and like u said the NFL picked and chose the crap they wanted.. violence isn't good in any situation, but to go above the law, which provided plenty of evidence that the woman was just out to get a pay check, isn't right. And I'm throwing jabs at every NFL East fan that's talking smack about the cowboys.

TaterTots

Banned
So it was thrown out due to inconsistency to the story, which may very well mean he was innocent, but the NFL is like, "naw fuck the Cowboys. 6 games." That's pretty harsh lol.

Quixzlizx

I did read about it, and like u said the NFL picked and chose the crap they wanted.. violence isn't good in any situation, but to go above the law, which provided plenty of evidence that the woman was just out to get a pay check, isn't right. And I'm throwing jabs at every NFL East fan that's talking smack about the cowboys.

An employer isn't required to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of an employee's peers to suspend/fire him.

MechDX

What about the woman whose shirt Zeke pulled down exposing her breasts on camera during a parade?

While I agree that the NFLPA is completely weak and terrible, this part is not really true. Because of the salary floor, teams are required to spend over 89% of the cap. And because rookie contracts have been lowered, NFL teams had no choice but to raise the average salaries of veteran players.
There is an increase but it is generally going to star players, not average vets. You can see that result in the average age in the league dropping, reflecting a greater reliance on younger (read: cheaper) players.

https://www.theringer.com/2016/9/7/16077250/the-nfl-has-an-age-problem-7068825845e4
Football Outsiders tracks a statistic called "Snap-Weighted Age" that averages the age of the players on the field based on snaps. In 2015, the league-wide average age hit its lowest mark since the site started keeping track a decade ago. In 2006, the average age of the players on the field was 27.2; in 2015, it was 26.6. On offenses alone, the average age of players on the field dipped almost a full year, from 27.6 in 2006 to 26.8 last year.

In every year since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970, a 36-year-old offensive lineman had appeared in a game — until last season, when there were no 35-year-olds, either. Last year, the number of offensive linemen age 28 or over who appeared in a game dropped nearly 20 percent compared to 2011, while the number of players age 31 or older at any position fell 20 percent from a decade ago.

It's also because rookies are flooding the league. This year's draft featured 107 early entrants, easily a record. Last season, 25 players age 21 or younger appeared in an NFL game, five times as many as in 2000 and more than double the total in 2012, a year after the league's latest collective bargaining agreement was struck.

What about the woman whose shirt Zeke pulled down exposing her breasts on camera during a parade?

That woman didn't press charges and was a long time "friend" not the same girl. I'm not saying it was ok for him to do that but they were all chillin.. supposedly(forgot where I read) she was flashing afterwards anyway.

MechDX

That woman didn't press charges and was a long time "friend" not the same girl. I'm not saying it was ok for him to do that but they were all chillin.. supposedly(forgot where I read) she was flashing afterwards anyway.

Even if she was "ok" with it maybe it goes against the NFLs code of conduct? I think a lot of people forget they are a privately owned entity and can have those type of rules

I dont agree with their rules on weed usage but if you are a player you have to abide by them to play in their league.

Why isnt anyone pointing the finger at Jerruh for the culture that surrounds his team? This entire off season has been one issue after another for their players

entremet

Even if she was "ok" with it maybe it goes against the NFLs code of conduct? I think a lot of people forget they are a privately owned entity and can have those type of rules

I dont agree with their rules on weed usage but if you are a player you have to abide by them to play in their league.

Why isnt anyone pointing the finger at Jerruh for the culture that surrounds his team? This entire off season has been one issue after another for their players
Explain Gronk’s motorboat then. Did that get a suspension?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

At the time he did that they knew he was under investigation. Zeke is not coming off as the smartest guy.

He is the face of a business. If you worked for a company and did what he did chances are you would be fired as well.

http://amp.tmz.com/2017/08/11/ezekiel-elliott-domestic-violence-injury-photos

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Why is it stupid? They were investigating multiple incidents that required interviewing witnesses, victims and experts while dealing with both the local PD and the DA. Sure, it took a while, but what makes you equipped to make the judgement that it should have been swifter?

You can't honestly think a no tolerance policy without a thorough investigation is a good policy to have. That would leave NFL players extremely susceptible to blackmail and fraud.

They had access to all of this information for a while and decided to wait until now to do this. When all is said and done, the punishment was handed down, which I think is good for him, because he is going down the wrong path, but that doesn't give the NFL a pass.

So what about Josh Brown DV case were he admited!? Oh wait he was white and with only one game suspension... c'mon Goodell is a joke!

Look everyone needs a second chance. If they are repeat offenders then they should be kicked to the curb. (I.e Greg hardy, Joseph randle..etc) Jerry isn't the only one that "hires" these type of players.

Ray Rice - they had the tape, chose to suspend one game. Tape goes public, change suspension. Purely optics.
Josh Brown - admissions of terrible abuse, one game.
Zeke- prosecutors declined charges due to lying complainant, six games.

Keep winning with this incredible logic, nfl.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
DG98XSyVYAEhMoi.jpg

rjc571

Banned
This is what happens when the Player's Association agrees to let the commissioner suspend whomever he wants for however long he wants for any or no reason whatsoever, and the commissioner happens to be a complete doofus.

Ray Rice - they had the tape, chose to suspend one game. Tape goes public, change suspension. Purely optics.
Josh Brown - admissions of terrible abuse, one game.
Zeke- prosecutors declined charges due to lying complainant, six games.

Keep winning with this incredible logic, nfl.

The league seems so shook by how the ray rice thing played out, but this is the system they set up. They gave Roger the power to play sheriff and issue arbitrary suspensions Willy nilly.

The league seems so shook by how the ray rice thing played out, but this is the system they set up. They gave Roger the power to play sheriff and issue arbitrary suspensions Willy nilly.
Agreed - they dug their own grave by giving this power. That also does not absolve goodell from criticism for how he wields his unlimited powers of arbitrary stupid.

Bitanator

You have to take this with the witnesses who claim she did lie and her friend admitted that she was told to lie for her.

Did Zeke put his hands on her? He cannot state for fact that he did not, and with the defense saying shit like "She maybe fell down the stairs" It leads me to believe he did. Zeke will be lucky to get it down to 4 or less games

Also.. if this happened before entering the NFL and still got suspended...

Why didn't Winston get suspended for being accused of rape?....just a thought.

MechDX

Read the statement the league released today. "a history of troubling behaviour". Not defending Jameis but he has been clean since entering the league. Zeke has had quite a few issues

gspec

This happened in July 2016. Zeke was drafted by the cowboys in april 2016. He was in the nfl at this point.

Read the statement the league released today. "a history of troubling behaviour". Not defending Jameis but he has been clean since entering the league. Zeke has had quite a few issues

What if judge told you,you have a history of troubling behavior..go to jail! C'mon man...i understand a job has rules and need to be followed but I still think it's b.s how it was handled.

MechDX

What if judge told you,you have a history of troubling behavior..go to jail! C'mon man...i understand a job has rules and need to be followed but I still think it's b.s how it was handled.

You are confusing a court of law and a private business

Many private businesses have rules stating you cant talk negatively on social media about the company. Not against the law but it is against the rules of the business you work for and can be fired for it

The NFL is not a court of law. The owners and more importantly the players gave Goodel this power. This entire thing is a culmination of years and years of players acting like shitheads and the league doing nothing about it. Now there's some blowback and it's creating image problems and the league felt the need to overcorrect and here we are.

You are confusing a court of law and a private business

Many private businesses have rules stating you cant talk negatively on social media about the company. Not against the law but it is against the rules of the business you work for and can be fired for it

That's right.. my bad. Either way, he's appealing and will prob get it reduced to 3 games..it is what it is.

Kill3r7

The NFLpa has no spine so I wouldn't bet on it.

If you can, look for the video of Bill Simmons interview with Demaurice Smith on his now cancelled hbo show. It's pretty enlightening.

It has nothing to do with lack of spine. When the career of your average member is 3.3yrs you have virtually no leverage.

Top Bottom