• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Sanjuro

Yeh, I hate going to those type of places, trying to convince my buddies to go elsewhere.

I mean fuck, might as well go to a actual titty bar that serves wings at this point.

It can be done right, but has more to do with an overall theme. There was a place I went to in Texas called the Flying Saucer (I believe?) where all the waitresses wore kind of a schoolgirl outfit.

It was super cute, not creepy, and they had easily over 60 beers on draft.

bionic77

Well can we all agree that we are cheering for Colombia to knock out Brazil from the world cup.
If it does not all go according to plan and the US is robbed of their rightful place on top of the tournament then I want Columbia to win the whole thing. They have been the best team thus far with the best player and the best goal celebration.

Though I basically just didn't want Uruguay to win. I still didn't forgive them for their bullshit in the last World Cup and this one proves that they are the Patriots of the soccer world.

tuckerwtf.png

If it does not all go according to plan and the US is robbed of their rightful place on top of the tournament then I want Columbia to win the whole thing. They have been the best team thus far with the best player and the best goal celebration.

Though I basically just didn't want Uruguay to win. I still didn't forgive them for their bullshit in the last World Cup and this one proves that they are the Patriots of the soccer world.

Rodriguez has been the star of the show for sure. My god and just 22 years old too

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Most of the "German" players on America's squad are the sons of servicemen. They are American citizens, born on what is essentially considered American soil as far as citizenship is concerned.

Sure we are a melting pot of different cultures. I just find it odd that one would root for an old ancestral link, when they are essentially not part of that culture anymore. Genetically, sure, daily life not so much.

My great-grandmother was German, immigrated to the US. I'm sure she had German traditions, but I think that there is very little connection with that, even with my grandfather. Eventually, you are basically an American, with genetic ties to certain regions. You are not really part of the culture of that region anymore. I don't identify as a German American, because I consider myself an American with a genetic background related to Germany, if that makes sense. Sure we share some of the same foods and traditions, but we are really not part of German culture as a whole.

As such, I find it hard to understand why one would relate to a team in that sense. But I guess knock yourself out of you want to root for a foreign team over your home country.

And yes, naturalized citizens are Americans. They have to jump through hoops that native born citizens don't. They've earned it, and they obviously wanted to be part of American culture.

Great post. I'm first generation of Albanian immigrant parents. Even if Albanian were to make the World Cup (which will never happen lol. Lots of great Albanian players throughout Europe though) I was always taught, and still am, to appreciate America because were they came from sucks. Corruption, war, poverty etc. it was not a good place and there is a reason people risk there lives to come over here. I was raised with very strong ties to my Albanian heritage but at the day I was born and raised here therefore American. Sure we're not perfect but at the end of the day I will always root for America cause I'm American.

I'll usually root for the underdog so if America somehow does not win the World Cup I'll be rooting for Costa Rica.

:jnc

If we have the right to talk about soccer, ez has the right to talk about...whatever the hell he's talking about.

That's how the Free United States of Free America get down.

We could go back to the NFL discussion only rules.

Top Bottom