• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

squicken

Robben should have gotten carded for flopping at least twice in this match. The one play where he flopped then got back up to flop again was the most shameful thing ever.

He sold that but it was a penalty, and he should have drawn another earlier in the game. Not seeing how they are the villains here.

Fox318

ufJswNs.jpg

The color of victory.

F57UBck.gif

Robben should have gotten carded for flopping at least twice in this match. The one play where he flopped then got back up to flop again was the most shameful thing ever.

Nobody gets carded for flopping. Neymar has been doing it all the time, including yesterday. Are you rooting against him as well?

Plus, sure Robben sold the last one, but the dude stepped on his toe which stopped him from moving. It's a penalty. Also, let's not act like this was the first time it could have been a penalty.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He sold that but it was a penalty, and he should have drawn another earlier in the game. Not seeing how they are the villains here.

He shouldn't get any calls. Dude is one of the worst divers I've ever seen.

I don't have any problems with Netherlands winning, they're the better team but I just don't appreciate how they won it.

Godslay

Banned
Yes but born in California

I guess in this case I can understand this. Otherwise I don't think it makes much sense. If you were born in America, you are American, regardless of ancestral heritage. I've ran into this with some Americans who claim Germany as their World Cup squad, even though they've never stepped foot in the country, have bastardized traditions from Germany, and are more American than they will ever be German.

Normally, I'm not one to tell people who to root for but in these cases it doesn't make logical sense besides a faulty link to the past.

Wade Wilson ‏@Deadpool 14m

Last time I saw a Robben go to the ground that hard the Joker was standing over him with a crowbar. #NEDvsMEX

lol twitter is awesome sometimes.

I was born in Mexico but came here when I was 5, if I gave a damn about soccer I guess I'd root for USA and MX, although I don't know who I'd put over the other if they played each other.

bigosc2k

Banned
I guess in this case I can understand this. Otherwise I don't think it makes much sense. If you were born in America, you are American, regardless of ancestral heritage. I've ran into this with some Americans who claim Germany as their World Cup squad, even though they've never stepped foot in the country, have bastardized traditions from Germany, and are more American than they will ever be German.

Normally, I'm not one to tell people who to root for but in these cases it doesn't make logical sense besides a faulty link to the past.

The thing is my cousins and I are first generation American born, so we celebrate the majority of Mexican holidays along with American ones well except for Cinco De Mayo, fuck that day.

Patriots7

This logic confuses me.
Half of the U.S. squad are German-born. Some have barely lived in the U.S.

As much as America loves America, we recognize that we're a melting pot of different cultures, explaining why some people choose to take pride in their heritage and root for what other teams.

Just curious though. So if you're born outside of the U.S. but are a naturalized citizen, are you not really American? Can you not root for America in the World Cup?

Juicy Bob

So you guys watch the WC games here too, huh?

I really need to catch up on all the off-season stuff. I have no idea who the Eagles have drafted...

squicken

Just curious though. So if you're born outside of the U.S. but are a naturalized citizen, are you not really American? Can you not root for America in the World Cup?

He's being inclusive, not exclusive. I think that's the difference. And I don't care how many teams people cheer for, as long as the US is their top team. Even Dutch and MilchJon

Godslay

Banned
This logic confuses me.
Half of the U.S. squad are German-born. Some have barely lived in the U.S.

As much as America loves America, we recognize that we're a melting pot of different cultures, explaining why some people choose to take pride in their heritage and root for what other teams.

Most of the "German" players on America's squad are the sons of servicemen. They are American citizens, born on what is essentially considered American soil as far as citizenship is concerned.

Sure we are a melting pot of different cultures. I just find it odd that one would root for an old ancestral link, when they are essentially not part of that culture anymore. Genetically, sure, daily life not so much.

My great-grandmother was German, immigrated to the US. I'm sure she had German traditions, but I think that there is very little connection with that, even with my grandfather. Eventually, you are basically an American, with genetic ties to certain regions. You are not really part of the culture of that region anymore. I don't identify as a German American, because I consider myself an American with a genetic background related to Germany, if that makes sense. Sure we share some of the same foods and traditions, but we are really not part of German culture as a whole.

As such, I find it hard to understand why one would relate to a team in that sense. But I guess knock yourself out of you want to root for a foreign team over your home country.

And yes, naturalized citizens are Americans. They have to jump through hoops that native born citizens don't. They've earned it, and they obviously wanted to be part of American culture.

Top Bottom