• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT2| Home of Baseball, Anime, Cricket, and Magic Johnson

2AT8oHz.gif

I'm so happy Vince came back after all rumors and bullshit this last offseason to win another ring with us.

ampere

Heisman QBs don't seem to do well in the NFL. I guess RGIII was pretty good before his knee injury, but he hasn't been the same since.

Finally starting to get in the swing of this rookie class.

Watching film of Dante Fowler Jr. He's my guy right not. Alvin Dupree seems scared to take on blockers.

Watching film of Dante Fowler Jr. He's my guy right not. Alvin Dupree seems scared to take on blockers.

Unless Jacksonville trades out of the 3rd spot, I think Fowler will be their pick. They went from last place in 2013 to 6th this past year in sacks, but they had a problem getting consistent pressure. I wouldn't a problem if they traded back and was able to get Vic Beasley.

effzee

He has partial GM power this year right? Yeah I think Chip will do well with that. Sometimes the answer is to let smart coaches have full control if you want to get things done.

Not partial but complete absolute control.

They promoted a scout from within to hold the title of GM but really Chip runs it all now. Don't know what it means really whether its good or bad. Chip himself has admitted previous 2 drafts he wanted to get guys (main his former players) in early rounds when GM Howie (now "promoted" to different role) convinced him those guys would be available in later rounds. And they were and the Eagles were able to draft them later.

On the other hand there seems to be real questions about who fucked up the first round pick last draft. They traded down further in the 1st round when the 6 guys they had targeted were suddenly not there at their pick. Then to the shock of everyone they took Marcus Smith (LB) who at best was graded as a 3rd round guy. Marcus barely saw the field and Chip publicly called him out for not being ready. He might not be bust and develop but a complete non impactful pick when they could have really used a strong impact on the defense from him or any other guy they could have picked.

Thinking is that now Chip has control, he and the team will be far more willing to make a crazy deal to move up into the top 10 than they would have been if Howie was GM. We will see. As much as I want Mariota, I don't want them mortgage the whole draft for this year and possibly 2-3 years to get a QB when statistically its 50/50 that he will be a boom or bust.

I've held the view that if somehow he drops, say past the top 5-7, then and only then should the Eagles think of moving up.

Hopefully Chip doesn't do something stupid. Most likely we stay put and really focus on improving the defense. The big thing that bothered me about Howie was that after the FA spree in 2011 (dream team) he swore off FA completely. As if one bad off season with FA means it isn't a viable means to upgrade the roster. Same logic applied to bust draft picks would mean don't draft either!

I'd like to see Chip and the new FO go after the top CB/Safeties in FA. Then use the #20 pick and possibly the first 1-3 rounds to improve the D. They need severe infusion of talent in the secondary and an upgrade all across the LB-Dline corps. In this scenario we still ride with Foles (for at least 1 more season) but at least its not all on the offense and the QB to score 30 plus to cover for the terrible D.

Other big decisions Chip has to make is whether or not to bring back Trent Cole, Cary Williams, Demeco Ryans, and other vets who have a huge cap#. I really hope he is up to it.

The one thing that is a positive is that the guys he has brought in are pretty varied. His coaching staff is a varied mix of guys from the pro game and college guys. And the college guys aren't all former Oregon guys- he almost seems to have a fetish for Alabama personnel people. But then again he was also so dead set in getting rid of DeSean whose absence hurt the offense terribly last yr.

Good luck bread friend
New Browns logo?:
That's just a strength and conditioning logo, I'm sure other teams have like things.
BrownsDogFINALLARGEVERSION31714.jpg

Im expecting the new logo just to be somthing Font based, like a block C or somthing. But the colors will be an indication of the new unis
Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN 8m 8 minutes ago
When #Browns unveil these logos Tuesday, it's going to be like a draft night with fans (which is exactly what the team wants)
Im gonna take my shirt off

effzee

I just don't see it. I think Cleveland does draft a QB maybe in the 2-3 rounds but to give up 2 first round picks for Mariota when you still don't really know what you have in Manziel?

Interesting for the Eagles would be if guys like EJ Manuel, RG3, or even Manziel are available in trades.

What if Chip pulls off a trade for EJ or RG3 (don't want Manziel at all) for say a 3rd round pick? Might be the best option. Bring one of those guys in and compete with Foles.

I mean my man Manziel is in rehab, Browns shouldn't expect to get anything out of him in the future. We should operate as if he's not on the team. This coming from a Manziel fan.

That being said I would like to use our two first round picks, but cant say I would be crushed at a reasonable trade up.

I'm not real high on him, at least in the top 5. Mid to late rounder for me. He relies on his speed and athleticism, doesn't have any counter moves, poor leverage. Just pretty raw and one dimensional to me. His pad level at the POA is consistently poor as well. I think he needs to be coached up and will be a rotational pass rusher and not a every down guy his rookie year.

Unless Jacksonville trades out of the 3rd spot, I think Fowler will be their pick. They went from last place in 2013 to 6th this past year in sacks, but they had a problem getting consistent pressure. I wouldn't a problem if they traded back and was able to get Vic Beasley.

I like Beasley quite a bit more than Fowler right now.

I mean my man Manziel is in rehab, Browns shouldn't expect to get anything out of him in the future. We should operate as if he's not on the team. This coming from a Manziel fan.

You guys should trade us for this guy. Flip obviously knows him and he's better than any Browns QB in franchise history probably.

iDuG4paceoKRq.gif

3rd rounder and he's yours.

If the Eagles don't move up for MM then I hope they get Peters at 20. Then trade up in the 2nd for Hundley if he is still there.

No way Chip drafts him. Chip says he's a culture guy, picking Peters would be the exact opposite of that. If he cut Desean because he wouldn't play along he's not going to take a chance on a guy who got kicked off the team for challenging authority.

Top Bottom