• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Fox318

Watched the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Hillsbrough Tragedy.

So much is crazy and insane how something like that could happen. Why would you have stadiums with iron bars and cages to keep fans in to begin with? Was that because of Thatcher?

Wrayfield

So much is crazy and insane how something like that could happen. Why would you have stadiums with iron bars and cages to keep fans in to begin with? Was that because of Thatcher?

To keep them away from the pitch? At least that used to be an explanation. Absolutely stupid to begin with, and it's still done in many countries.

squicken

Thatcher and Reagan were as good a duo of leaders we will see in our lifetimes. How dare you?!

Soccer fans would piss in bags and throw them at each other. While that tragedy was unfairly blamed on hooligans, there really was a huge problem with them in England in the 80s and 90s. They actually caused another disaster in Europe b/c of fighting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster

ShaneB

An uncle of mine passed away yesterday from Cancer =(. I'm not that close with my extended family and I can't remember the last time I saw him, but it's just a reminder that anything can happen.

The New York times story is pretty compelling. Pretty sure he raped at least 1 girl.
I am going to be so pissed if he throws everything away like an idiot. I really want to see what he can do at the NFL level.

An uncle of mine passed away yesterday from Cancer =(. I'm not that close with my extended family and I can't remember the last time I saw him, but it's just a reminder that anything can happen.
Sorry to hear that, buddy. :( Cancer sucks...

Wrayfield

Thatcher and Reagan were as good a duo of leaders we will see in our lifetimes. How dare you?!

Soccer fans would piss in bags and throw them at each other. While that tragedy was unfairly blamed on hooligans, there really was a huge problem with them in England in the 80s and 90s. They actually caused another disaster in Europe b/c of fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZb-ZXP-AHE <-- that's a cup final from a few years ago which I pondered to go b/c I was visiting at the time. Just so typical to basically go there not so much for the match, but just to stir shit up. It's basically impossible to take your kids to any such event if you wanna be safe.

Pair it with absolutely no safety standards and I'm surprised we haven't had more disasters like that.

Fox318

To keep them away from the pitch? At least that used to be an explanation. Absolutely stupid to begin with, and it's still done in many countries.

But isn't England the country that goes nuts over Health and Safety? This isn't like the The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island this was a major sporting event that had police protection and the cops were told to create a wall separating the field at one point.

It seems crazy that something like that could happen and that people would cover it up.

But creating a safety issue with stadiums not designed properly and poorly trained police is insane.

Outside of Philadelphia I can't see any city wanting to jail their fans and spectators.

ShaneB

Thanks for the responses so far. Just never something anyone wants to hear, and a reminder I'm still very lucky my parents are in good health, and I hope for a long time still.

GRONK!!!

uwt7I1Q.png

GRONK GRONK!!!

0oGV4B9.jpg

Dragon

Banned
Thanks for the responses so far. Just never something anyone wants to hear, and a reminder I'm still very lucky my parents are in good health, and I hope for a long time still.

My condolences as well. My parents are in the sameboat as yours fortunately. Don't know what I'm gonna do when that changes.

He also has Teddy falling out of first round and going to HOU at 33.
Carr to AZ at 20
Who's he have browns taking at 26?
Idk if by chance browns don't take Qb at 4, I can see Browns trading back up for Teddy if available
Edit: I'd be happy with that Squicken

Sanjuro

Yeah I hate them and AT&T apps too. I debated rooting it and getting rid of that shit.

I'm on Verizon, so there really aren't many phone options. The battery life and screen easily put this thing past everything else in the category though. Maybe I'll root down the road.

Fox318

Is hooliganism limited to Soccer event or just to European sports?

I've seen rushing the field in college games and games from the past but I can't think of anything like that in the US.

cajunator

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZb-ZXP-AHE <-- that's a cup final from a few years ago which I pondered to go b/c I was visiting at the time. Just so typical to basically go there not so much for the match, but just to stir shit up. It's basically impossible to take your kids to any such event if you wanna be safe.

Pair it with absolutely no safety standards and I'm surprised we haven't had more disasters like that.

what the fuck? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbVRwon9w70

I reformatted the assignments so that it's easier to keep track of what teams we still need:

NFL GAF Mock Draft

Proposed Rules/Guidelines:

- The purpose of the mock draft is to try and best simulate what will happen on draft day. Those choosing for their respective teams should be looking to choose a player that they think their team will choose. This is not about who YOU want, its about what you think your team will do on draft day.

- No trades. Up or down. Too complicated and it will slow things down.

- Your group has four hours to make their selection from the time your team is announced to be on the clock. The only exception is if your teams clock starts overnight of course. At which point the clock starts running at 10AM EST the next day.

(the times here are up for debate by the way, if you guys think 4 hours isn't enough time we can extend it. I'm going by how it was done last year).

- If there is no selection made in that four hour time period 1 of two things could happen:
1. I make the selection for you.
2. The selection can be opened up to NFL-GAF in general and the consensus pick wins. The person with the best write-up for the consensus pick gets it added to the mock draft.

- Along with the regular team/group selections, I was thinking maybe the general NFL-GAF population can do the consensus pick anyways. Maybe have a secondary mock draft happening during that 4 hour time period between actual team/group selections? Just throwing that out there.Figured this will make it easier to track what teams we still need:

Current mock draft list of participants stands at:

NFC North
Packers - Buckethead
Bears - minx88
Lions - Plinko
Vikings - Slo

NFC South
Panthers - Grover Cleveland
Saints - cajunator
Falcons - Talon
Buccaneers - Syrinx

NFC East
Eagles - gutshot, yankeehater, jabee
Cowboys - Farooq, cashman
Giants - BigAT, Futurevoid, Draxal, Striker
Redskins - ( In Spirit Only) Ninja Scooter

NFC West
Seahawks - cdyhybrid
Niners - Doomsayer, bigosc2k
Cardinals - Squall ASF
Rams - Squicken, B For Bendetta

AFC North
Bengals -
Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, AngmarsKing701
Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato, Bolt Vanderhuge
Browns - BlackGhost, Wes

AFC South
Colts - (In spirit only) Narag
Titans -
Jaguars - Tamanon
Texans - MechDX

AFC East
Patriots - Colasante, ActStriker, Sanjuro
Jets - Fox318
Dolphins - chris.trejo, The_Darkest_Red
Bills - LJ11

AFC West
Broncos -
Chiefs - Tragicomedy
Chargers -
Raiders - Mackenzie 92

squicken

5 year mock draft scoring

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/scoring/mockdrafts.shtml

Wh'os he got Raiders taking in the 2nd?

Round 2

33. Houston Texans | *Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Let me be clear: This is the top-rated quarterback on my Big Board, a player I have rated higher than Bortles, Manziel or Carr. But my reading of the tea leaves in speaking with many evaluators around the league is that Bridgewater could drop if he slides past a couple of points early on. If I could project trades, I'd have someone taking him later in Round 1 having moved up. Obviously, he's a steal at this point.

34. Washington Redskins | Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
Tackling was a huge problem for the Redskins last year, and adding one of the most consistent tacklers in the draft at a position of need makes sense here. I could see Borland in Round 1, too. He's currently among my top 25 players in the draft.

35. Cleveland Browns | *Davante Adams, WR, Fresno St.
At this stage the Browns have already drafted a QB and a CB, both positions of need, and here they take advantage of the great depth at wide receiver and get a player like Adams who could become a very good No. 2 behind Josh Gordon.

36. Oakland Raiders | *Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St.
If Jernigan had a better reaction time off the snap he'd go higher, and in terms of his ceiling he's a really good value at this stage. The Raiders have needs everywhere, and a strong interior lineman here fills one.

37. Atlanta Falcons | Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
The Falcons lack a pass-rusher defenses fear, and while Ford is merely adequate against the run, he's a major menace as a speed rusher, and gives Atlanta a needed new look there.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi St.
When he's healthy, the Bucs have one really good guard in Carl Nicks. But they don't have another good one, and Nicks' health can't be assumed. Jackson is a good one.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars | Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
The Jags don't reach for a QB at No. 3 and then get a potential starter at this point. Garoppolo isn't an immediate starter for a team that wants to take the step the Jags do, but he can get there and be the answer.

40. Minnesota Vikings | Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
One of my favorite players in the draft, the instinctive and explosive linebacker goes to a team that needs to add at least one in the draft.

41. Buffalo Bills | *Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise St.
The pass rush is a sneaky need for the Bills, because while they have Mario Williams, they're thin on the edge if he's out. Lawrence gives them a much-needed piece to build a deeper rotation. He can have impact.

42. Tennessee Titans | Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
Jake Locker is not only going into the final year of his rookie deal, he does so under a new head coach. Ken Whisenhunt may want to have a QB of his own choosing to develop, and Mettenberger's limited mobility is balanced by the best arm strength in the draft, and a quick recovery from his torn ACL has pushed him back into this range. If you saw Mettenberger at his best in 2013, you'd never assume this was too high for him to go in the 2014 NFL draft.

43. New York Giants | *Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
That Justin Pugh played well down the stretch and worked out at tackle is good, but there's still a need for more talent at guard, and Su'a-Filo is as good as any in the draft on most days.

44. St. Louis Rams | Jimmie Ward, S, No. Illinois
Ward can be special in coverage and fills a need for the Rams, as he can pair with the now healthy T.J. McDonald to shore up the back end of that defense.

45. Detroit Lions | Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
The Lions get the top safety in the draft in Round 1 and then get the needed addition at corner in Round 2. Jean-Baptiste has safety size.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers | *Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
Nix is more talented than his 2013 tape showed, and working with Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh's system could turn him into a steal at this point. He has rare size and just needs to learn how to utilize his strengths more consistently.

47. Dallas Cowboys | Deone Bucannon, S, Washington St.
The Cowboys' current depth chart has J.J. Wilcox and Barry Church as starters at safety, and the experienced Bucannon, one of the biggest hitters in the draft, is a player who can get on the field early.

48. Baltimore Ravens | *Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
I had Ellington rated too low for much of the season. After taking a closer look I've moved him up, and my sense is many teams feel the same way. Steve Smith's arrival doesn't mean the Ravens don't consider this a depth chart need.

49. New York Jets | *Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
The Jets get the wide receiver they need in Round 1, and double down with pass-catchers in Round 2 in adding ASJ. He's something of an unrealized talent (at least for me) and could allow the Jets to utilize some new looks. He's a big target.

50. Miami Dolphins | Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada
Bitonio can play either guard or tackle, and could end up at right tackle or be moved inside, where the Dolphins could really use the help. He'll play right away.

51. Chicago Bears | Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida St.
Both Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman are over 30, and Joyner has added value for the Bears because he can also play safety. The Bears need help everywhere you look on the back end of the defense, and Joyner is a playmaker.

52. Arizona Cardinals | Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
They get a QB to put behind Palmer in Round 1, and add some needed help and depth at outside linebacker in Round 2. Attaochu can really close when he gets the edge as a pass-rusher.

53. Green Bay Packers | *Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
The Packers have seen the departures of James Jones, Jermichael Finley and Greg Jennings over the past 14 months, and could use another pass-catching weapon lest they try too hard to prove Aaron Rodgers can make anyone look good. This upgrades the talent level at tight end, though Amaro will typically be split out.

54. Philadelphia Eagles | Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
If Attaochu was available here, I could see that fit, but the pass-rushing help beyond him sees a value drop-off at this slot and Philly instead adds some length and depth at corner with the intriguing small-college star.

55. Cincinnati Bengals | *Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Health questions and consistency issues during his junior season caused Kouandjio's stock to take a hit, and in some ways it's hard for me to fathom him this low knowing what he can be if it all comes together, but Cincinnati once bet big on another Bama tackle and Andre Smith has worked out. Kouandjio in this range is a total value play and is worth a shot.

56. San Francisco 49ers (from KC) | Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
If the fit is there, I could see the 49ers going with a corner in Round 1, but athletes at Gaines' level qualify as a good value at this stage. At this point the 49ers have needed help at WR and CB.

57. San Diego Chargers | *Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
With the measurables of a player typically drafted much higher, Moncrief is one of the best size/speed equations in the draft, but he was inconsistent in 2013 and lands here. San Diego isn't set at WR just because Keenan Allen had a good year. The Chargers are thin behind him.

58. New Orleans Saints | Keith McGill, CB, Utah
After getting a WR in Round 1, the Saints add depth and size at cornerback, where they're currently set to ask a lot of Keenan Lewis and the soon-to-be 36-year-old Champ Bailey.

59. Indianapolis Colts | *Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
Landry isn't a burner, but he has some of the best hands in the draft and will make plays in traffic. The Colts gave away their first-rounder and need this pick to work out.

60. Carolina Panthers | Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
They got the tackle they needed in Round 1 and now take advantage of the WR depth in Round 2. Huff doesn't blow you away in workouts, but when it's time to compete in pads he consistently makes plays and competes for catches.

61. San Francisco 49ers | *Marcus Martin, C, USC
The 49ers have a clear need at center, and Martin should capably fill the hole. He's an impressive athlete among peers even at a position where some athleticism is assumed.

62. New England Patriots | Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio St.
New England isn't devoid of explosiveness at running back, and it's never really considered a "need" position in the draft, but getting the best one in the entire draft at the end of Round 2 isn't much of a stretch, just as it wasn't last year when Giovani Bernard and Eddie Lacy were among the good values. If either of the two tight ends taken earlier is available here, I can see it.

63. Denver Broncos | *David Yankey, OG, Stanford
Yankey moves really well and fills a need for the Broncos after the departure of Zane Beadles. Again, you're more inclined to hit needs when the window is smaller.

64. Seattle Seahawks | Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
Michael Bowie actually wasn't too bad for the Seahawks at right tackle last season, but could end up inside, and I think James can play the position reliably early in his career.

Easier to paste 2nd than first

squicken

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...rWI4gvtB0Vo7COPKN/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

A man was arrested Wednesday evening in Florida on federal charges of lying to a grand jury, obstruction of justice, and witness tampering, in a case connected to the murder case against former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez, authorities said.

The arrest of Oscar Hernandez Jr. was part of a probe of gun trafficking between Florida and Massachusetts. That case is “related” to a June 17, 2013 homicide in North Attleborough, the US attorney’s office in Boston said in a statement.

Federal, not state. And this could expand into involving Pouncey bros

If Carr falls to us, 100 percent that we trade back. Well, there's always a chance that someone else unexpectedly falls to us too so I shouldn't say 100 percent but I'll say I think 0 percent chance that we'd take Carr. As Squicken and I discussed months ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a flier on Mettenberger in a later round and there might be another guy Arians likes in the 2-4th round range but no way we take a QB in the first unless Teddy falls. Arians doesn't seem to believe in Manziel but that could be a smokescreen. I don't think he's Arians type of QB though so doubt it's all smoke. Even if Teddy falls, Keim and Arians would have to really like him because we are trying to win now and are a play off team so they want picks that can contribute day 1 in the earlier rounds.

Striker

They have Ebron and Su'a-Filo going to NYG? Would knock out at least two positions they desperately need. I'm still thinking they might get two WR's out of this draft too. With Manningham's contract little as it is, and Jerrel Jernigan a FA next spring, there's little depth at the position now and for the future.

Top Bottom