• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Interesting article on how our new defensive coordinator plans to use our secondary:

DETROIT -- The Detroit Lions' cornerbacks played man and zone under Jim Schwartz. They played press and they played off, perhaps more than some would have liked.

They didn't really have a distinct style.

And that will change under Teryl Austin.

The new Lions coordinator is installing a defense that should be more aggressive than its predecessor. And that means more press coverage from the corners. A lot more.

"I feel like we'll press more this year," cornerback Darius Slay said. "Way, way more. Probably every play."

Bill Bentley, Detroit's primary nickel man, told MLive that Austin wants his corners to create more turnovers. They combined for just two interceptions last year, both by Chris Houston.

So Austin wants to take off the training wheels and really let his cornerbacks go at it with receivers. And Slay says he believes that style better suits Detroit's cornerbacks.

It certainly seems to suit his skill-set better. He thrived in Mississippi State's man-heavy scheme, but struggled with some of Detroit's zone concepts during his rookie season.

"(Austin) wants to get in people's faces," Slay said. "I just think the scheme will work pretty good with us. That's more of us as a unit. We're an aggressive outfit. We're just going to be aggressive.

"Making it easier (for us), just getting in their faces and worrying about one guy. Ain't got too much (else to think about). He just wants to be grounding and pounding and going after the guy in front of you."

Detroit's secondary finished 23rd against the pass last year, and was one of the biggest liabilities on a team that faces Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler twice every season.

The Lions didn't make any major personnel upgrades this offseason, either. They signed safety James Ihedigbo, but cut Louis Delmas. They drafted cornerback Nevin Lawson, but he's expected to compete for a reserve spot, not a starting role.

And the Lions have already lost Houston for the foreseeable future after he underwent toe surgery earlier this month.

The personnel doesn't offer much hope that the secondary will be better, but the change in scheme might. And Slay knows he could be instrumental to whether or not it is successful.

Slay will battle Rashean Mathis and Houston for a starting role, and could be forced into the lineup if Houston is limited for the start of the season.

"I'm ready," he said. "I'm just going to continue to play ball and make the plays I need to make. "I'm way more ready than I was last year."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/05/darius_slay_detroit_lions_corn.html#incart_more_sports

I think Darius Slay is going to have a great second season and be our #1 corner if Rashean Mathis and Chris Houston are his only competition. The guy played solid toward the end of last season and was keeping toe to toe with the likes of Brandon Marshall in his rookie season.

Chris Houston has had a nagging toe injury that's following him even into the offseason. I don't think we'll be able to depend on him much.

MechDX

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/5699/what-if-the-texans-had-taken-bortles

What if they had taken quarterback Blake Bortles instead? Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFYDraftInsiders.com wrote this week that the Texans’ choice came down to Clowney and Bortles and the team had draft cards with both of their names written on it before finally settling on Clowney.

Well. Now I know whose name was on the other card in the nfl.com video.

Blue was pretty great but he had a lot of line support.

I like our line right now. Left to right: Duane Brown, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks with RT probably being David Quessenberry.

Brown and X on that left side can maul some fools.

MechDX

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN · 42m
NRG Park plans to have 700 solar panels and NRG Stadium will be 1st pro FB stadium to be equipped with LED lighting on the field. #Texans

Neat

Interesting article on how our new defensive coordinator plans to use our secondary:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/05/darius_slay_detroit_lions_corn.html#incart_more_sports

I think Darius Slay is going to have a great second season and be our #1 corner if Rashean Mathis and Chris Houston are his only competition. The guy played solid toward the end of last season and was keeping toe to toe with the likes of Brandon Marshall in his rookie season.

Chris Houston has had a nagging toe injury that's following him even into the offseason. I don't think we'll be able to depend on him much.
Agreed, I think this is big news. Slay was often left on quite an island last season, and most rookie DBs aren't going to do well in that situation. Being more aggressive and matching WRs step by step seems like it'll benefit him greatly. I wonder if it could negatively impact Mathis though, given his age. And perhaps also Houston if this injury is a nagging issue throughout the season.

The biggest thing is getting pressure on QBs though. If we can do that it'll greatly help the CBs. I think Van Noy could be the most important draft pick. If he works out as advertised, our defense will shine.

Fox318

zS1XSJI.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 1m

BREAKING: Aldon Smith pleaded no contest to three felony gun counts and misdemeanor DUI

Top Bottom