• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 3 - Drowney for Clowney Mech, Drowney for Clowney.

Dre3001

Clowney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Babin and Clemons. You'd be nuts to pass over him.

I am not saying that Clowney is not talented or that Babin and Clemons are better. But with so many more pressing holes on offense it would make more sense to draft an offensive player.

Jags made several defensive additions in free agency so they will be better on that side of the ball already but have completely ignored the offensive side. Clowney would make the defense instantly better but at some point you need to score on offense.

Drakeon

Yeah, I thought he should have went to the browns over bortles.

I could see him going to a lot of places; Jacksonville, St Louis, Tampa, Oakland, Cleveland or even Minnesota. I think the only one that would really surprise me is Houston out of the top 7-8.

rando14

Chickens have hired Jeff Ireland as a draft consultant.

iZXIaLYSrEWi0.gif

LJ11

LJ, I thought you were all about Evans. What cooled you on him?

Nothing, I just think the Bills would take Ebron over Evans. It may not be what I would do but it's what I think they will do.

At times it's easy to read this franchise. They've talked up big physical targets, with WR specifically mentioned, and really haven't done much about it. Their head of college scouting basically said the same thing, everyone talks up big and physical WRs but the quality isn't usually there. That's not to say that Evans isn't quality, he is, but from what I saw last year they want size and elusiveness in the middle of the field, and burners on the outside for shot plays. Ebron is the big target they want.

Chandler was a productive player last year but he's a one dimensional player. Smith was used a great deal to run block because Chandler is awful in that area, pretty big tell for an offense. Ebron isn't a good run blocker but he can be. I think Ebron fits into what they want to do on O, deep crosses, vertical seam threat, can be flexed.

Ebron came out and said the Bills and Lions are hot for him, EJ said the same thing about the Bills last year. I think the guy they really love is Watkins, but he won't be there. Two of the three tackles won't be there, two pass rushers gone, and they won't take a QB. From where I'm sitting, I think the Bills feel Watkins, Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson and Ebron are all elite talents and the only elite talents in this draft.

If they think Ebron is elite it's hard to pass on him, for a guy who in their minds is very good but no elite. If it were me I'd shop the pick, and I'm not a big trade down guy. Just think we could use another 2nd day pick, and if we could stay in the top 15 why not....

They really like Watkins though, and if they covet that kind of player, the next closest guy is ODB. Plays bigger than his body, adjusts to the ball, good after the catch but not excellent, good route runner with suddenness and explosion. It's why I mentioned him, next closest substitute to a guy they love.

Edit: I could be dead wrong though, we'll find out in a little over a week.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nothing, I just think the Bills would take Ebron over Evans. It may not be what I would do but it's what I think they will do.

At times it's easy to read this franchise. They've talked up big physical targets, with WR specifically mentioned, and really haven't done much about it. Their head of college scouting basically said the same thing, everyone talks up big and physical WRs but the quality isn't usually there. That's not to say that Evans isn't quality, he is, but from what I saw last year they want size and elusiveness in the middle of the field, and burners on the outside for shot plays. Ebron is the big target they want.

Chandler was a productive player last year but he's a one dimensional player. Smith was used a great deal to run block because Chandler is awful in that area, pretty big tell for an offense. Ebron isn't a good run blocker but he can be. I think Ebron fits into what they want to do on O, deep crosses, vertical seam threat, can be flexed.

Ebron came out and said the Bills and Lions are hot for him, EJ said the same thing about the Bills last year. I think the guy they really love is Watkins, but he won't be there. Two of the three tackles won't be there, two pass rushers gone, and they won't take a QB. From where I'm sitting, I think the Bills feel Watkins, Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson and Ebron are all elite talents and the only elite talents in this draft.

If they think Ebron is elite it's hard to pass on him, for a guy who in their minds is very good but no elite. If it were me I'd shop the pick, and I'm not a big trade down guy. Just think we could use another 2nd day pick, and if we could stay in the top 15 why not....

They really like Watkins though, and if they covet that kind of player, the next closest guy is ODB. Plays bigger than his body, adjusts to the ball, good after the catch but not excellent, good route runner with suddenness and explosion. It's why I mentioned him, next closest substitute to a guy they love.

Edit: I could be dead wrong though, we'll find out in a little over a week.

You really ought to work in the industry in some fashion.

Guess we'll see what they do. I'm not convinced they'd pass up a great WR target. I think they're happy with the TE situation and know that Johnson isn't capable of holding down the outside alone.

Ewww gross.

Now if they bring back the Twister then we can talk.

P.S. Eznark's grandpa was in my Boot Camp this morning. Guy was wearing white rattlesnake Zubaz.

LJ11

You really ought to work in the industry in some fashion.

Guess we'll see what they do. I'm not convinced they'd pass up a great WR target. I think they're happy with the TE situation and know that Johnson isn't capable of holding down the outside alone.

You could very well be right, and I kind of hope I'm wrong, I want to be a bit surprised with who they select.

If this draft is so stacked, Ebron must be head and shoulders better than last years top drafted TE (Eifert). Is Ebron that much better? Can't answer that because I haven't watched enough of him, watched none of him during the college year outside of one game. I can say without hesitation that he must be some kind of player if he's going to go top 10 in a draft that's being billed as one of the best and deepest in years...or it's another horrible mistake.

I kind of want ODB just to throw everyone off, but again would rather move back a few spots because over the last few drafts we've done better in the 2nd round than most of our division rivals.

Byrd, Levitre, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, Cordy Glenn, and maybe at some point during the next year we can add A.Williams to the list. Torrell Troup is the lone 2nd round bust. Not bad on the second day of the draft. What's bad is that two of the five players on that list were never locked up long term. Failure to sign are own, perpetual problem for this org....

Striker

Jeremy Shockey had the same type of question mark surrounding his blocking coming out. If Ebron commits himself to improve his blocking, then great. His size and speed combination should be able to get mismatches against LB or Safeties. I would have no issue picking him; actually he's one of the three I hope NYG gets at #12 if they're available: Evans, Donald, and Ebron. They need a big receiver and two of the better ones are predicted to go in that area.

Rorschach

5. Oakland Raiders - Teddy Bridgewater QB
After passing on Rivers, Cutler and Rodgers in drafts over the past 10 years, and giving up a 1st, two 2nds, a 5th and a 6th in addition to using a 4th on Tyler Wilson over the last 4 years the new Reggie McKenzie led Raiders have said "fuck this" and decided to do the right thing and get their franchise QB of the future in the 1st round rather than wasting another pick on a scrub in the mid rounds who can't even beat out Matt fucking McGloin.

In Bridgewater, the Raiders get the hardest working, most accurate and intelligent QB in the draft. He will not be thrown into the fire right away and will be allowed to sit for at least one year while he puts on some weight, refines his deep ball and increases his throwing power before leading the Oakland Raiders to 3 Super Bowl victories over the next 10 years. BOOM!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
h3tg9O7.gif

squicken

Jeremy Shockey had the same type of question mark surrounding his blocking coming out. If Ebron commits himself to improve his blocking, then great. His size and speed combination should be able to get mismatches against LB or Safeties. I would have no issue picking him; actually he's one of the three I hope NYG gets at #12 if they're available: Evans, Donald, and Ebron. They need a big receiver and two of the better ones are predicted to go in that area.

Jared Cook still refuses to block. When the Rams went to a power run game, they had to take him off the field. Really a disaster offseason last year for STL. He played less than half the offensive snaps in lots of games last year. Some guys just don't give a fuck about blocking

Hope they trade down and all those players are gone . .

If they trade it's with your Brownies, BG. If Cleveland believes JFF is their guy, and that Jax might take him, they can package up quite a few picks to make that leap.

If Houston falls back to 4th then one of those guys is gonna be there.

Top Bottom