• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Still salty Vernon isn't going to get drafted. He showed up for big games, made tough catches over the middle. I guess the average measurables were just too much to overcome.

Edit: I'm also not lost on the fact that its the fucking Falcons that drafted Sean. The football gods can be assholes

Draxal

Wtf, Cooper to Frisco is kinda insane; he was the back up cb to Brandon Jones who wasn't drafted.

Rutgers has more players in this draft then OSU/Nebraska/ and Michigan .... combined.

BigAT

Wtf, Cooper to Frisco is kinda insane; he was the back up cb to Brandon Jones who wasn't drafted.

Rutgers has more players in this draft then OSU/Nebraska/ and Michigan .... combined.

Yeah, that's definitely a head scratcher. Only thing I could think of is injury concerns for Jones, but that still doesn't explain why Cooper was drafted in the first place.

niners draft marcus cooper from rutgers!

no clue who he is. bigAT is he the greatest or what

See Draxal's response. I don't think he'll make the team, I was never especially impressed with him.

effzee

So some final thoughts on the Eagles draft. I am not going to pretend to be an expert on all the picks or even any of them. Don't follow college sports at all so all my opinions are formed by reading other people's opinions:

5 out of the 8 picks were defensive players. But those defensive players were from the later rounds. They didn't really grab any stand out there player there. Part of it has to be how they were probably shocked by Miami taking Dion Jordan. Honestly believe Eagles whole draft, minus the Barkley pick, looks completely different (with more of an emphasis on OLINE picks later on) if they were able to select Dion Jordan at #4.

I love the Lane Johnson pick up. Dion Jordan was preference #1 but LJ was right behind it. I said it many times before but this single pick up solves all 2 roster spots for us immediately with potentially being a LT in 2 years.

Ertz will be the one that stands out the most. I really feel like Chip got the guy he needed to work his offense.

Barkley in the fourth round is fantastic value and if he pans out to his full potential, he could be the franchise QB. Vick is only here on a 1 year contract. Foles has a lot to prove.

I think what has been overlooked on the defensive side is that just like how Chip has been hammering home the point that his offensive scheme will fit the players talent and it won't be one style set in stone (read option), the defense will also (FOR ONCE!) fit to the talent of the players. Now they will run some hybrid 3-4 but they don't have all the players who excel in a pure 3-4.

They do have tons of high round draft picks who either because of injury or the wide 9 nonsense haven't lived up to expectations. Guys like Curry, Graham, Cox, and now Logan, Kruger, and King are all young guys who need to contribute. Especially Cox and Graham who were first round picks. Even veteran Trent Cole has a lot to prove coming off a down year and possible move to pass rushing LB.

So hopefully the defense will be as flexible and smart as the offense will be. It has to be because while they picked up solid starters through FA, none of them are game changers so they have to overcome any shortcomings through schemes and strategy. What worries me is that Bill Davis is the DC and his defense's have been terrible any time he has been DC. Our weakest spot is still at CB, but def much improved from the play off DRC and Nnamdi over the past two years.

They will have to add some more RBs going forward. Only three on the roster. Don't think much more will be added. Maybe another veteran CB.

Super excited going forward.

BigAT

Draft is over, now what........

UDFA TIME

OMG UPDATES:

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 37s
Let the UDFA madness begin ... Virginia Tech S Alonzo Tweedy has signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Giants. #NYG

GREAT NAME, FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.

Complete Giants 2013 draft:

Round 1: Justin Pugh T Syracuse
Round 2: Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State
Round 3: Demontre Moore DE Texas A&M
Round 4: Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse
Round 5: Cooper Taylor S University of Richmond
Round 7: Eric Herman G Ohio
Round 7: Michael Cox RB Umass

Moore is the "sexiest" pick there. The rest are generally meat and potatoes rebuild the lines types of picks and I generally have no issue with that. The Nassib pick was certainly the odd man out but if we can flip him for some picks in a few years, I have a feeling it will be looked upon highly in retrospect.

A lot of Packer people have been clamor ing for a safety. Not much on the board this year and I think S Richardson will be starter by mid-season unless McMillian takes jump from Y1-Y2.

Draxal

surely he is better than carlos rogers or chris culliver (circa the superbowl)

He was a backup cb on a Big East team; I think Big East teams/ACC teams get a little too much hate (FSU had alot of players drafted for a good reason). But if you can't start on a Big East team ... it doesn't say too much about a player's pro career.

I'll be rooting for him, but you had a stacked roster with a billion draft picks anyway; it's going to be hard for him to make the team; and this is from a guy who loved Anthony Davis.

Wes

venison crêpe
UDFA

New England Patriots
Stephen Morris, CB, Penn State

Kansas City Chiefs
Brad Madison,DE, Missouri

Pittsburgh Steelers
Michael Shannahan, WR, Pitt

Philadelphia Eagles
Russell Shepard, WR, LSU

cdyhybrid

UDFA

New England Patriots
Stephen Morris, CB, Penn State

Kansas City Chiefs
Brad Madison,DE, Missouri

Pittsburgh Steelers
Michael Shannahan, WR, Pitt

Philadelphia Eagles
Russell Shepard, WR, LSU

Russell Shepard finally made it to the league after 15 years at LSU!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
how does south carolina not win the secE with all this talent they have? was it just b/c they got screwed on the schedule?

2 years ago, lose to Auburn in Atlanta
1 year ago, got screwed out because of cross division schedules (UGA had an easy West lineup, USCe had a hard West lineup, USCe beat UGA but lost a West game and fell behind UGA in the division)
Last year ended up third behind a good UGA team and a surprising Florida team.

So, to list the picks made by Bill Belichick of the New England Scarlett Patriots

#52 : Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss.
#59 : Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall.
#83 : Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers.
#91 : Some guy, SS, Rutgers.
#102 : Josh Boyce, WR, TCU.
#226 : Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois.
#235 : Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers.

oh-boy.gif

Very happy with the Raiders draft, Reggie has this franchise on the right track. Here is a pick of the Raiders war room. Why is this important? Before Al died, THERE WAS NO WAR ROOM! Reggie had to have it built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom