• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Cheaters Cheat.

Milchjon

In reality the culture around bread is vastly superior in Europe, true. But bread in the USA is like beer in the USA. You'd think that everyone just drank Bud Light or Coors Light if you judged it by popular culture. Then you get into the craft beer world and realize it's not really the case and the US actually makes the best beer in the world. Bread is similar. We don't all eat wonder bread or sliced italian loaves from the supermarket.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. I've been following the whole American foodie thing for years now and have been waiting forever for certain aspects of it to make it over here. And beer, well, I actually get paid for telling Germans about how far behind America we are on that one.

Still, I think bread that's comparable to what I can get in an average German bakery is still something I'd have to search for in most places in the US. When I'm in the US, I don't miss German beer or fast food or whatever. Bread, on the other hand, for sure.

MechDX

11665598_870365919723362_2044727094967124711_n.jpg

America 2 Germany 0

Take the L Milj

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
In reality the culture around bread is vastly superior in Europe, true. But bread in the USA is like beer in the USA. You'd think that everyone just drank Bud Light or Coors Light if you judged it by popular culture. Then you get into the craft beer world and realize it's not really the case and the US actually makes the best beer in the world. Bread is similar. We don't all eat wonder bread or sliced italian loaves from the supermarket.

No, no, sorry. This is completely wrong. Most American towns don't even have a single legitimate bakery. I haven't come across a single German or French town that doesn't have at least one. American cuisine has a lot of strengths but the availability of fresh baked good (not pastries or desserts) is basically third world status. It's not even remotely similiar to how ubiquitous fresh bakeries are in Germany. It's like comparing the gun ownership in both countries. Sure, German citizens also have guns, but you know.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Germans don't do steak. That's all I have to say about that.

Well yeah it's not pork. I feel like Germans eat a crapton of pork.

If he dears animu a Milana thread I will personally find him and long ball his balls.

You sound drunk

Chocolate is the same way here but nobody believes it.

No, no, sorry. This is completely wrong. Most American towns don't even have a single legitimate bakery. I haven't come across a single German or French town that doesn't have at least one. American cuisine has a lot of strengths but the availability of fresh baked good (not pastries or desserts) is basically third world status. It's not even remotely similiar to how ubiquitous fresh bakeries are in Germany. It's like comparing the gun ownership in both countries. Sure, German citizens also have guns, but you know.

Come to LA and you find bakery's all over the place, although they are mostly Hispanic.

WanderingWind

Come to LA and you find bakery's all over the place, although they are mostly Hispanic.

I moved from your neck of the woods to here. It's not even remotely close to the same. And I don't think I need to remind you that LA =/= America.

Well yeah it's not pork. I feel like Germans eat a crapton of pork.

Everything is pork, except during the seasonal fish or spargel months. Even then, they find ways to cram pork into the fish and they wrap the asparagus with more pork. They definitely rule sausage making, too.

Maybe in your part of the country? Here in PA there are decent bakeries in a lot of places. In any major city there is a plethora of them. In PA it could be because there are a lot of good but tiny Pennsylvania Dutch bakeries all over the place though.

As an example, there is a local creamery in the tiny town I grew up http://www.valleymilkhouse.com/cheese/ and they do an exchange share with http://kneehighfarm.com/bread-share/. I can get fresh locally made cheese and fresh locally baked bread out of a barn on the side of the road that uses an honor system. I did just that yesterday.

I moved from your neck of the woods to here. It's not even remotely close to the same. And I don't think I need to remind you that LA =/= America.

Everything is pork, except during the seasonal fish or spargel months. Even then, they find ways to cram pork into the fish and they wrap the asparagus with more pork. They definitely rule sausage making, too.

Yeah but you can't compare America as a whole to Germany, we are so much bigger too. You want to compare cities? Fine but whole countries? lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Bakeries are in a weird place in the US since people started watching their carb intake. Most bakeries here have to double as a breakfast/pastry shop so they're not exactly known for being healthy.

WanderingWind

Maybe in your part of the country? Here in PA there are decent bakeries in a lot of places. In any major city there is a plethora of them. In PA it could be because there are a lot of good but tiny Pennsylvania Dutch bakeries all over the place though.

I lived in 11 states and have visited everywhere but Alaska, Oregon and Washington state. I traveled the country for a living, as I do here. In every city there are bakeries, sure. Now take that amount and apply them to townships in Germany. Cities have an equal amount of scale. In places like Nurnberg and Munchen you literally will not go a block without a bakery. In Nurnberg they have kiosks in the middle of the Altstadt just selling bread in between two bakeries, with a corporate bakery sitting inside the department story. Every Obi (think Home Depot) has a bakery inside of it.

It's a whole different ball of wax, trust me.

Yeah but you can't compare America as a whole to Germany, we are so much bigger too. You want to compare cities? Fine but whole countries? lol

Well, that's just a reason for the disparaty, isn't it? You're not describing a comparison, you're describing a cause and effect.

I lived in 11 states and have visited everywhere but Alaska, Oregon and Washington state. I traveled the country for a living, as I do here. In every city there are bakeries, sure. Now take that amount and apply them to townships in Germany. Cities have an equal amount of scale. In places like Nurnberg and Munchen you literally will not go a block without a bakery. In Nurnberg they have kiosks in the middle of the Altstadt just selling bread in between two bakeries, with a corporate bakery sitting inside the department story. Every Obi (think Home Depot) has a bakery inside of it.

Well, that's just a reason for the disparaty, isn't it? You're not describing a comparison, you're describing a cause and effect.

See you said we didn't have any...but now it's that you have more. Sure you might have more but it's not like bakeries are some foreign concept to us. For example this is near my work

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Bakeries&find_loc=91401&ns=1

Plenty to choose from.

I've been to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland so I know what it's like. Obviously it's a whole different ballgame with the ubiquity of it. Same with France. But that's basically exactly what I said though. It's a much smaller industry in the US, but that doesn't mean it's non existent or even that hard to get if you're looking for it. Cheese is the same. The US is too big and diverse a country to get to the point where you can't easily find very high quality food products if you look for them in most of the country. It doesn't have the ubiquity but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is difficult to obtain.

WanderingWind

See you said we didn't have any...but now it's that you have more. Sure you might have more but it's not like bakeries are some foreign concept to us. For example this is near my work

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Bakeries&find_loc=91401&ns=1

Plenty to choose from.

No, I said depending on where you go, noting specifically that LA is not the rest of the country. Neither is NYC.

I've been to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland so I know what it's like. Obviously it's a whole different ballgame with the ubiquity of it. Same with France. But that's basically exactly what I said though. It's a much smaller industry in the US, but that doesn't mean it's non existent or even that hard to get if you're looking for it. Cheese is the same. The US is too big and diverse a country to get to the point where you can't easily find very high quality food products if you look for them in most of the country. It doesn't have the ubiquity but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is difficult to obtain.

Then we're saying the same exact thing? In America you have to look for these things, and depending on where you are, you're SOL. In Germany, that's not the case when it comes to fresh bakeries or butchers. Geez, Americans really are sensitive to the suggestion that maybe, just maybe, their country isn't the best in the galaxy at everything.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
No, I said depending on where you go, noting specifically that LA is not the rest of the country. Neither is NYC.

Then we're saying the same exact thing? In America you have to look for these things, and depending on where you are, you're SOL. In Germany, that's not the case when it comes to fresh bakeries or butchers. Geez, Americans really are sensitive to the suggestion that maybe, just maybe, their country isn't the best in the galaxy at everything.

What?! Fuck you traitor!!!!!

Nah, just sensitive to the concept that everyone eats wonderbread with american cheese, drinks coors, and eats a hershey bar for dessert. Sooo much more out there than that.

WanderingWind

Nah, just sensitive to the concept that everyone eats wonderbread with american cheese, drinks coors, and eats a hershey bar for dessert. Sooo much more out there than that.

Yeah, I know that feeling. As an American living abroad, I totally get shit for this on the regular. If it helps, Germany sucks ass at fried chicken and thinks hamburgers and meat loaf on a bun. America makes better ales and CR makes better pils than Germany (helles don't fucking count). Germany also, for some strange reason, doesn't have a lot of bagel shops.

He is a Bills fan. Fuck Buffalo

Imma mushroom stamp you to prove that not everything is bigger in Texas, cowpoke.

Draxal

Oh, I'm well aware of that. I've been following the whole American foodie thing for years now and have been waiting forever for certain aspects of it to make it over here. And beer, well, I actually get paid for telling Germans about how far behind America we are on that one.

Still, I think bread that's comparable to what I can get in an average German bakery is still something I'd have to search for in most places in the US. When I'm in the US, I don't miss German beer or fast food or whatever. Bread, on the other hand, for sure.

There's plenty of german bakeries around this area, and we're not really jerry infested, go the Midwest or Texas where there's a shitton of people of German origin which will satisfy your needs.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Round Rock donuts mech?

Eh. They aren't that great. It's weird how they're in an orange glaze too. I prefer Shipleys myself.

MechDX

Round Rock donuts mech?

Eh. They aren't that great. It's weird how they're in an orange glaze too. I prefer Shipleys myself.

Only had them a few times. Warm Shipleys are god tier.

That giant cinnamon roll from Lulu's Café in San Antonio is also mega god tier

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
WanderWind is showing himself to be a turncoat traitor!

I warned you guys, you can never trust a Bills fan.

Put him up against the wall for some street justice!

WanderingWind

WanderWind is showing himself to be a turncoat traitor!

I warned you guys, you can never trust a Bills fan.

Put him up against the wall for some street justice!

Says the Canadian supporting an American team when there is a perfectly good league of your own. Stop being a Yankeeboo.

Milchjon

No, I'm well aware of that. I'm kinda stuck in the middle as I always sing America's praise to Germans while shitting on it in front of you guys.

I mean, you people even appropriated our beloved eagle, you fucks!

WanderingWind

You're about 20-40 minutes away from like downtown Seattle depending on traffic.

I may end up moving back to the States in April. Might if I crash at your pad for a couple days while house hunting?

No, I'm well aware of that. I'm kinda stuck in the middle as I always sing America's praise to Germans while shitting on it in front of you guys.

I mean, you people even appropriated our beloved eagle, you fucks!

To be fair, it's kinda because y'all aren't really allowed to use it anymore...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Says the Canadian supporting an American team when there is a perfectly good league of your own. Stop being a Yankeeboo.

How dare you!

I am proud to be a Browns fan, they bring me a hell of a lot more joy then the Argos ever will.

The highs are great albeit brief and the lows are so low and last forever but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

WanderingWind

How dare you!

I am proud to be a Browns fan, they bring me a hell of a lot more joy then the Argos ever will.

The highs are great albeit brief and the lows are so low and last forever but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Well, I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.

How dare you!

What about when the Bills move to Canada? You'll be a life long bills fan!

Top Bottom