• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

ShaneB

If you are a fan of the NFL this is a great write up about the Luv ya Blue Oiler days:

Luv Ya Blue

Amazing how taken the city was with those late 70's early 80's Oiler teams.

Bookmarked this and will give it a read later. This was mentioned on the ATN podcast a bit ago as what Chris was up to, looks like another great longform piece.

MechDX

Bookmarked this and will give it a read later. This was mentioned on the ATN podcast a bit ago as what Chris was up to, looks like another great longform piece.

The aura in the city was magical. I was extremely young when this occurred but I somewhat remember it.

A shame the refs screwed the oilers in Pittsburgh on the Renfro catch. It was the catalyst for instant replay.

Very few cities are what I call "pure" football cities . Houston, KC, Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Cities that no matter what else is going on football is king. Chicago used to be on the list but Jordan and the Bulls took away a lot of their thunder.

Godslay

Banned
The aura in the city was magical. I was extremely young when this occurred but I somewhat remember it.

A shame the refs screwed the oilers in Pittsburgh on the Renfro catch. It was the catalyst for instant replay.

Very few cities are what I call "pure" football cities . Houston, KC, Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Cities that no matter what else is going on football is king. Chicago used to be on the list but Jordan and the Bulls took away a lot of their thunder.

Your being too stingy with your list. Redskins belong, as does Denver. Cleveland certainly. Those are all pure football towns.

MechDX

Your being too stingy with your list. Redskins belong, as does Denver. Cleveland certainly. Those are all pure football towns.

Denver has the general outdoor environment to contend with for attention. Not a knock just an observation. Washington? It's the nation's capital always something happening. The cities I listed there isn't a lot going on to contend with .

Cleveland is a weird situation.There is nothing to do , the outdoors are terrible as well as all the other sports teams. But yeah they probably should be on the list.

Someone find the thread when the Niners hired Harbs

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417590&highlight=niners+hire+harbaugh&page=19

7QhTr.gif

Godslay

Banned
Denver has the general outdoor environment to contend with for attention. Not a knock just an observation. Washington? It's the nation's capital always something happening. The cities I listed there isn't a lot going on to contend with .

Cleveland is a weird situation.There is nothing to do , the outdoors are terrible as well as all the other sports teams. But yeah they probably should be on the list.

Denver and Washington have more consecutive sellouts than everyone on your list. Football rules the roost in those towns. Mountains or capital maybe a distraction, but not on gameday. You go to Denver and you'll see Broncos stuff all year round.

Cleveland is just an OG so you have to respect that.

What about the Rockets? Really they should be Houstons pride and joy considering they are the pinnacle of any team in Houston.

MechDX

Denver and Washington have more consecutive sellouts than everyone on your list. Football rules the roost in those towns. Mountains or capital maybe a distraction, but not on gameday. You go to Denver and you'll see Broncos stuff all year round.

Cleveland is just an OG so you have to respect that.

What about the Rockets? Really they should be Houstons pride and joy considering they are the pinnacle of any team in Houston.

Oh Hakeem is revered here but no matter what the other teams do the Texans are always first on the priority list. 13 straight years of sellouts and a huge waiting list for season tickets.

MechDX

6-10 still misses the playoffs

They will win 9 minimum. I'd bet you but I'll let Captive deal with you.

I forgot I would add Buffalo to my list. My list is not an indictment of any NFL city. I feel they all have great fanbases except Jacksonville. Still don't understand how they have a team.

jakncoke

Banned
They will win 9 minimum. I'd bet you but I'll let Captive deal with you.

I forgot I would add Buffalo to my list. My list is not an indictment of any NFL city. I feel they all have great fanbases except Jacksonville. Still don't understand how they have a team.

Your madden season dont count we're talking reality

MechDX

Let me rephrase it: 9 wins minimum if Mallett starts. If it's Hoyer 4 at best. That's conservative, optimistic is 15-1 with Mallett

Fuck Hoyer

Godslay

Banned
Oh Hakeem is revered here but no matter what the other teams do the Texans are always first on the priority list. 13 straight years of sellouts and a huge waiting list for season tickets.

Denver has 40 something years of consecutive sellouts, as does Washington who has the most.

In Denver's case the Nuggets have always been terrible, the Rockies and Avs are always second fiddle to the Broncos. Sure they have mountains and pot, but you can enjoy those while warching the Broncos. Doesn't change the idea that it's a football town first and foremost.

Cleveland doesn't have that long of a streak, and KC had blackouts in the 90s.

As for KC they kind of fall in the Browns category. Main team in the town, good fanbase, etc.

MechDX

Denver has 40 something years of consecutive sellouts, as does Washington who has the most.

In Denver's case the Nuggets have always been terrible, the Rockies and Avs are always second fiddle to the Broncos. Sure they have mountains and pot, but you can enjoy those while warching the Broncos. Doesn't change the idea that it's a football town first and foremost.

Cleveland doesn't have that long of a streak, and KC had blackouts in the 90s.

As for KC they kind of fall in the Browns category. Main team in the town, good fanbase, etc.

So the Browns win by default.

Congrats BG!

Top Bottom