• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Lions' Eric Ebron deserves more respect, SI writer says

635723089276444187-lions-052715-ES20.jpg

But Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke says Ebron has a chance to rebound and become the go-to tight end for the Lions going into this fall, listing him as one of the NFL's eight players whose criticism has gone so far that they're now "underrated."

"Life can be rough for rookie tight ends," Burke wrote. "In the Super Bowl era, a mere two first-year players at the position have topped 55 receptions (Keith Jackson and Jeremy Shockey), and no rookie TE has ever hit the 900-yard mark. Ebron was not even in the ballpark for either stat — he wrapped a miserable 2014 with 25 catches for 248 yards and one touchdown. Hardly justification for being selected No. 10 overall and far from the impact Detroit hoped for inside the red zone.

"The 2015 season should be better for him, incrementally if not exponentially. Ebron, who has been working with QB Matthew Stafford this off-season, again will join Brandon Pettigrew and Joseph Fauria in the Lions' TE rotation. Pettigrew remains a block-first option while Fauria failed to follow up on a surprising seven-touchdown rookie year.

"Ebron has a chance to be the go-to tight end on a team desperate for another downfield option alongside Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/07/12/detroit-lions-eric-ebron/30051635/

Restore the Roar 2016

This may sound weird but I spend like maybe 2% of the amount I used to playing video games and my life has gotten so much better. I replaced it with working out and going out and socializing as much as possible. The result is that my mind is clearer, my memory is sharper, and my overall sense of well being is just better.

I think I was playing too many video games bros.

Although now everytime I pick up a controller the rare occasion I do want to play something and I'm immediately bored with it all or just too antsy to sit so I'm kinda stuck.

Is this adulthood?
People get older, like different things.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Are you saying video games ruin your mind? You should definitely make a thread about this!
lol, just kidding old man

Yeah those threads don't go well, I've seen those.

Also it's not a huge revelation or anything that getting out and doing things is better for a person. If anything I don't know how to balance my life out.

Which is funny, because then he'd finally be right about an Eagles QB being better than Russell!

DOTA is the only video game you need.

DOTA is just....yeah no.

People get older, like different things.

Sometime that just the way it be

Hotel premium internet.....what a scam.

Hotel internet is the biggest joke ever.

squicken

Are you saying video games ruin your mind? You should definitely make a thread about this!
lol, just kidding old man

I think it's really just that games suck now. Things have been so stagnate for so long. How many times can Halo be re-skinned? The industry needs a technology leap. If I made a Halo clone only you played it in the Star Trek Holodeck, every cynical bastard would play it and love it

weinke, it's the games fault, not your's. That rocket car soccer is the best game of the generation says a lot

Yeah those threads don't go well, I've seen those.

Also it's not a huge revelation or anything that getting out and doing things is better for a person. If anything I don't know how to balance my life out.

DOTA is just....yeah no.

Sometime that just the way it be

Hotel internet is the biggest joke ever.

all things in moderation. i know people who "get out and do things" every weekend.... and those things are going out to bars/clubs, drinking a lot and "living life BRO!". these are people in their 30's still living life like they were 21. this isn't a life to live anymore than the nerds who never go out at all!

but i will say one thing: DOTA is the best.

Quotient

Good Evening NFL-GAF. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject matter but I am confused about the Dez Bryant situation.

Why is a franchise tag such a concern for him. As it stands he will earn 12.5 million this year with the tag, which is the same as Calvin Johnson's 2015 income. The franchise tag seems to be a good deal for Dez, and either th cowboys will eventually offer a competitive salary, franchise tag him again for 2016 or he would be a free agent and let the market decide.

Please explain :D

Good Evening NFL-GAF. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject matter but I am confused about the Dez Bryant situation.

Why is a franchise tag such a concern for him. As it stands he will earn 12.5 million this year with the tag, which is the same as Calvin Johnson's 2015 income. The franchise tag seems to be a good deal for Dez, and either th cowboys will eventually offer a competitive salary, franchise tag him again for 2016 or he would be a free agent and let the market decide.

if he has a career ending injury this year, he only has that $12 mil to fall back on

if he has a down year or completely bombs, he only has that $12 mil

if he gets into trouble and gets suspended, he only has that $12 mil

he needs the security for the future

Franchise tag gives the same problem to ever player in the NFL not just Dez. It doesn't give them any job security. What if they get hurt or have a bad year stats wise? Kill any leverage they have on getting a big fat long term deal. It's also 12 mil then minus all the tax, agent, family etc... who ever else siphoning money from him.

Godslay

Banned

Players strive for long term deals with high guarantees.

A franchise tag only offers a high guarantee for one year. Football is a sport filled with plenty of injuries. Long-term security > 1 year high wage.

Quotient

if he has a career ending injury this year, he only has that $12 mil to fall back on

if he has a down year or completely bombs, he only has that $12 mil

if he gets into trouble and gets suspended, he only has that $12 mil

he needs the security for the future

Franchise tag gives the same problem to ever player in the NFL not just Dez. It doesn't give them any job security. What if they get hurt or have a bad year stats wise? Kill any leverage they have on getting a big fat long term deal. It's also 12 mil then minus all the tax, agent, family etc... who ever else siphoning money from him.

Players strive for long term deals with high guarantees.

A franchise tag only offers a high guarantee for one year. Football is a sport filled with plenty of injuries. Long-term security > 1 year high wage.

That does make sense. One would assume any long-term deal he inks would have guarantees that exceed this years salary. I would assume the franhise tag is something the players didn't want and may be a stick pointing at the next collective bargaining agreement (whenever that is)

That does make sense. One would assume any long-term deal he inks would have guarantees that exceed this years salary. I would assume the franhise tag is something the players didn't want and may be a stick pointing at the next collective bargaining agreement (whenever that is)

this was the problem in the last CBA and it will be the problem in the next CBA: a lot of these players live at or far above (not within!) their financial means. so, as the time for their missed paychecks approach (keep in mind you get 17 paychecks per year in the NFL, during the season) a lot of these guys are putting pressure on the NFLPA to get a deal done. this causes a lot of in-fighting and other shit to go down where the players have to take a lesser deal. this is why the owners got one over on them in many respects during the last fight and probably why they'll do it again next time.

the franchise tag will never be gone, no matter how hard the NFLPA fights. the reason is teams abuse it to such a degree that it becomes a threat to a player. NFL owners wont give that up

brentech

Kas quoting articles shitting on lions players and going full kas about it. No spin changes the meaning of that article, regardless of your bolding choices.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think it's really just that games suck now. Things have been so stagnate for so long. How many times can Halo be re-skinned? The industry needs a technology leap. If I made a Halo clone only you played it in the Star Trek Holodeck, every cynical bastard would play it and love it

weinke, it's the games fault, not your's. That rocket car soccer is the best game of the generation says a lot

I'm hoping VR is awesome. I feel like the medium has definitely stagnated.

all things in moderation. i know people who "get out and do things" every weekend.... and those things are going out to bars/clubs, drinking a lot and "living life BRO!". these are people in their 30's still living life like they were 21. this isn't a life to live anymore than the nerds who never go out at all!

but i will say one thing: DOTA is the best.

Honestly bars and clubs get boring as fuck too. As a single dude they're pretty fun but it's not really a long term lifestyle. I'd rather sit around a camp fire or on someone's back porch with some friends and drink beer there, if I weren't single anyway.

Lately for me it's been more about experiences. Started doing Brazilian jiu jitsu and joined a social bowling league. Trying to think of new things besides that honestly so I'm up for suggestions!

Kas quoting articles shitting on lions players and going full kas about it. No spin changes the meaning of that article, regardless of your bolding choices.

Comparing Stafford to Tim Duncan was the ultimate :kas. It's all downhill from here!

cajunator

Banned
I'm hoping VR is awesome. I feel like the medium has definitely stagnated.

Honestly bars and clubs get boring as fuck too. As a single dude they're pretty fun but it's not really a long term lifestyle. I'd rather sit around a camp fire or on someone's back porch with some friends and drink beer there, if I weren't single anyway.

Lately for me it's been more about experiences. Started doing Brazilian jiu jitsu and joined a social bowling league. Trying to think of new things besides that honestly so I'm up for suggestions!

Comparing Stafford to Tim Duncan was the ultimate :kas. It's all downhill from here!

Bars and clubs are meh unless you drink. I dont drink so I just end up playing pool or leaving.
Ice skating with friends is fun

Godslay

Banned
Vic Lombardi ✔@VicLombardi
From what I'm told, Broncos are just north of 40-m guaranteed. DT camp wants closer to 50.

Let's say it's 5 years, $45M guaranteed. That's not a terrible deal at all. Throw in some puff money to boost it up and make it closer to $13M - $14M per, and that's still okay.

Dez should probably get more, he's the more well-rounded WR. I bet he hits closer to $15M per.

This may sound weird but I spend like maybe 2% of the amount I used to playing video games and my life has gotten so much better. I replaced it with working out and going out and socializing as much as possible. The result is that my mind is clearer, my memory is sharper, and my overall sense of well being is just better.

I think I was playing too many video games bros.

Although now everytime I pick up a controller the rare occasion I do want to play something and I'm immediately bored with it all or just too antsy to sit so I'm kinda stuck.

Is this adulthood?

Ditching video games was the best thing to ever happen to me. Did you know that the weekend is two full 24 hour days? When I played video games religiously it seemed like the weekend was 6 hours total.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm not sure I'd give D Thomas anywhere near that money. I'd limit his contract to the length of Peyton's contract at most.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not sure I'd give D Thomas anywhere near that money. I'd limit his contract to the length of Peyton's contract at most.

I can see that viewpoint.

The way I look at it though is when Peyton retires, the next QB shouldn't have very many excuses when they take over the team.

The OL will be young and rebuilt, we will have a solid RB corps, and a strong #1 and #2 WR. Green (TE) will still be signed, and we have a newly drafted one as well.

The defense will stay largely intact. Von will have to be signed next year, and some of the LBs.

Where does all this money come from though if we sign DT to a mega deal? Well assuming if Peyton retires, that frees up $19M ($2.5 accelerated bonus iirc). Not to mention the money they will save by likely cutting Clady ($10M), as well as the money Ware won't eat up which I'm assuming he'll be cut ($10M).

That's $40M off the books, with other options as well.

The largest question mark is the QB. With Brock sitting for 3 years and learning under Peyton, having a decent team built around him, and good weapons in stock, he has no excuses.

If he shits the bed, it let's Elway move on to the next guy on an accelerated pace. If he plays well, then well we go back to competing again.

cdyhybrid

He probably didn't even read it. He doesn't watch football games, why would he read articles about them?

Vic Lombardi ✔@VicLombardi
From what I'm told, Broncos are just north of 40-m guaranteed. DT camp wants closer to 50.

Let's say it's 5 years, $45M guaranteed. That's not a terrible deal at all. Throw in some puff money to boost it up and make it closer to $13M - $14M per, and that's still okay.

Dez should probably get more, he's the more well-rounded WR. I bet he hits closer to $15M per.

It's Dez's off the field demons coming back to haunt him. One of his previous contracts (2012) had crazy shit in it:

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

Dez wants to move away from that past completely and is offended that the Cowboys aren't giving him total freedom.

Lions' Eric Ebron deserves more respect, SI writer says

635723089276444187-lions-052715-ES20.jpg

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/07/12/detroit-lions-eric-ebron/30051635/

Restore the Roar 2016

One of the biggest things that hurt Ebron last year was the o-line implosion. He wound up doing a lot more blocking than he was drafted to do. Likewise Pettigrew went from a big Stafford target to an extra lineman. Now that the line has more depth and is (currently) healthy, Ebron should be free to do what he was drafted to do: exploit LBs and other mismatches as Megatron/Tate command attention elsewhere. He should have a solid year. I'm thinking 400-450yds is fair. Anything less would be disappointing, given how much he'll be open this year.

Godslay

Banned
It's Dez's off the field demons coming back to haunt him. One of his previous contracts (2012) had crazy shit in it:

Dez wants to move away from that past completely and is offended that the Cowboys aren't giving him total freedom.

If they want his services, then they'll have to pay him. I see him closer to Megatron money then DT. Equivalent stats, but I think Dez is slightly better overall.

As far as the other stuff, I think he's proven that he's somewhat responsible, even though they baby sit him. If someone offered me $50M+ guaranteed, I'd let them sit on my lap while I took a BLarry.

Top Bottom