• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Gabbs with that astronomical 1.7 passer rating!!

Blaine+Gabbert+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Indianapolis+cN6LMtfwnZil.jpg

better than zero!

Godslay

Banned
2014 Denver Broncos

After suffering a slaughter at the hands of the Seahawks in the Superbowl, it was dark times for the world. The shining beacon of light that was Peyton Manning laid dead on the turf, his body broken, his defense thoroughly dismantled, their spirit broken. John Fox, shellshocked by the ferocity of the nuclear defensive line of Seattle, rocked back and forth in a dark corner of the locker room repeatedly telling himself in a rainman voice, “Foxball would have won it…Foxball would have won it”. The world fell into darkness as the horde of 12th men, emerged from the darkness to steal the last bits of light from the world. Like a voracious beast devouring rainbow colored candy, leaving nothing but darkness in their wake.

The only man who was immune to this slaughter, walked down on to the field after the Superbowl. Scraped up the parts that was once Peyton Manning, vowing to rebuild him, and a strong defense around him. Elway quietly exited the New Jersey night flying back to the Mile High City to begin his work:

I didn’t go all the way into the depth chart for every position for the sake of keeping it shorter. If you want my opinion of some of the depth, just ask.

Head Coach: John Fox

Offense:

Offensive Coordinator: Adam Gase

QB: Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert
Assuming Peyton stays healthy nothing to see here. Osweiler has looked okay, they might not keep Dysert again, but they always seem to hang on to 3 guys so it wouldn’t be a surprise.

RB: Montee Ball, CJ Anderson, Ronnie Hillman, Juwann Thompson.
Ball takes over as the #1 back, just from watching he seems more polished than he was last year. Anderson likely the #2, with Hillman getting some action as a scat type back. Thompson hangs on for depth.

OL: Ryan Clady, Orlando Franklin, Manny Ramirez, Louis Vasquez, Chris Clark
The line gets shuffled. Clady returns at LT. Franklin moves from RT to LG, a position he played throughout college. Clark moves to RT. This is a stronger line in my opinion than last year. Offers road grading capabilities on either side via Franklin or Vasquez, and better protection on the edges. Ramirez does a fine job at C.

TE: Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Jacob Tamme.
Not much to say here, Juice will be more of a receiver, but his blocking has improved. Virgil Green is a somewhat of a clone of Juice, with better blocking and not as good receiving skills. Tamme is good insurance, a capable receiver, and a good special teams player.

WR: Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Bubba Caldwell, Cody Latimer.
Sanders was added in free agency when Decker was allowed to walk, seems to have good chemistry with Manning. I don’t think he’ll replace the production of Decker, that will shift over to Julius Thomas and Cody Latimer. Speaking of that, I am very pleased with Latimer. He plays big and fast, he’s really athletic, and he’s just beating everyone for TD’s. Once he gets up to speed, he’s going to be really good.

Defense:

Defensive Coordinator: Jack Del Rio

DL: Derek Wolfe, Sylvester Williams, Terrence Knighton, Demarcus Ware.
The most improved and deep part of the 2014 Denver Broncos. Wolfe is finally healthy and playing well. Williams is coming into his own, and Pot Roast is looking good. Ware is the biggest addition though. The guy is straight class, smart, a leader and teacher on the field. He’s been helping all the young guys learn. By indications at camp, he still has plenty of gas left in the tank. I really look forward to this line. The guys they sub in also are looking really good.

LB: Von Miller, Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan.
Von Miller is nearly all the way back from the ACL tear. He trimmed down, so his speed off the edge should be back. He’s got some mentorship from Ware, so I look forward to him realizing his potential. Irving is decent, although he might be swapped out from time to time depending on the situation. Danny T returns from a great season, even hungrier than before.

CB: Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib, Kavyon Webster, Bradley Roby.
Talib was added over DRC, and seems to be having a nice quiet training camp, which is good for a CB. Harris returns from an ACL tear, and is looking to be back by the start of the season. Webster has looked good as well, improvement from his rookie season. To be quite honest Roby has been beat and often this TC. He’s a rookie going up against Manning, so it’s not hard to see this happening. Hopefully he gets up to speed in the case someone goes down.

Safeties: TJ Ward, Raheem Moore/Quinton Carter
TJ Ward was added from the Browns. He makes me nostalgic for John Lynch. He’s like a guided missile at times, and will put a lick on guys. Good in coverage, good against the run, and will be used as an MLB type role in certain situations. Glad to have him, makes the secondary that much better. Moore returns from his compartment syndrome surgery, looks good so far, but is being tested by Q once again (Carter beat him out before). Carter is also returning from two knee surgeries. Moore will likely be the starter, but Carter will get playing time.

Punter: Britton Colquitt
Kicker: Matt Prater

Notes: Offense looks to be more balanced and focused on the run. It would be great to have that option this year as it wasn’t a reliable option last year. Take a bit of the load off of Peyton, for when he has a rough day or to help finish games and protect leads. I think Ball/Anderson will be the 1-2 punch needed to do it. On the same note the defense has to improve. The held on for as long as they could last year, but ultimately failed. They are going to have to uphold their end of the bargain this year.

So in the end, Elway’s work is nearly done. He rebuilt the team in the image of his Championship teams. He gave them all the talent, and upgrades they needed. He breathed life back into the defense. The one thing he cannot give this team is something that they will have to look inside of themselves to earn, and that is the heart of a champion. Will Peyton and these Broncos mount up and ride again into the heart of darkness to restore light to this land? Only time will tell...

2014 Denver Broncos

After suffering a slaughter at the hands of the Seahawks in the Superbowl, it was dark times for the world. The shining beacon of light that was Peyton Manning laid dead on the turf, his body broken, his defense thoroughly dismantled, their spirit broken. John Fox, shellshocked by the ferocity of the nuclear defensive line of Seattle, rocked back and forth in a dark corner of the locker room repeatedly telling himself in a rainman voice, “Foxball would have won it…Foxball would have won it”. The world fell into darkness as the horde of 12th men, emerged from the darkness to steal the last bits of light from the world. Like a voracious beast devouring rainbow colored candy, leaving nothing but darkness in their wake.

The only man who was immune to this slaughter, walked down on to the field after the Superbowl. Scraped up the parts that was once Peyton Manning, vowing to rebuild him, and a strong defense around him. Elway quietly exited the New Jersey night flying back to the Mile High City to begin his work:

I didn’t go all the way into the depth chart for every position for the sake of keeping it shorter. If you want my opinion of some of the depth, just ask.

Head Coach: John Fox

Offense:

Offensive Coordinator: Adam Gase

QB: Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert
Assuming Peyton stays healthy nothing to see here. Osweiler has looked okay, they might not keep Dysert again, but they always seem to hang on to 3 guys so it wouldn’t be a surprise.

RB: Montee Ball, CJ Anderson, Ronnie Hillman, Juwann Thompson.
Ball takes over as the #1 back, just from watching he seems more polished than he was last year. Anderson likely the #2, with Hillman getting some action as a scat type back. Thompson hangs on for depth.

OL: Ryan Clady, Orlando Franklin, Manny Ramirez, Louis Vasquez, Chris Clark
The line gets shuffled. Clady returns at LT. Franklin moves from RT to LG, a position he played throughout college. Clark moves to RT. This is a stronger line in my opinion than last year. Offers road grading capabilities on either side via Franklin or Vasquez, and better protection on the edges. Ramirez does a fine job at C.

TE: Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Jacob Tamme.
Not much to say here, Juice will be more of a receiver, but his blocking has improved. Virgil Green is a somewhat of a clone of Juice, with better blocking and not as good receiving skills. Tamme is good insurance, a capable receiver, and a good special teams player.

WR: Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Bubba Caldwell, Cody Latimer.
Sanders was added in free agency when Decker was allowed to walk, seems to have good chemistry with Manning. I don’t think he’ll replace the production of Decker, that will shift over to Julius Thomas and Cody Latimer. Speaking of that, I am very pleased with Latimer. He plays big and fast, he’s really athletic, and he’s just beating everyone for TD’s. Once he gets up to speed, he’s going to be really good.

Defense:

Defensive Coordinator: Jack Del Rio

DL: Derek Wolfe, Sylvester Williams, Terrence Knighton, Demarcus Ware.
The most improved and deep part of the 2014 Denver Broncos. Wolfe is finally healthy and playing well. Williams is coming into his own, and Pot Roast is looking good. Ware is the biggest addition though. The guy is straight class, smart, a leader and teacher on the field. He’s been helping all the young guys learn. By indications at camp, he still has plenty of gas left in the tank. I really look forward to this line. The guys they sub in also are looking really good.

LB: Von Miller, Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan.
Von Miller is nearly all the way back from the ACL tear. He trimmed down, so his speed off the edge should be back. He’s got some mentorship from Ware, so I look forward to him realizing his potential. Irving is decent, although he might be swapped out from time to time depending on the situation. Danny T returns from a great season, even hungrier than before.

CB: Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib, Kavyon Webster, Bradley Roby.
Talib was added over DRC, and seems to be having a nice quiet training camp, which is good for a CB. Harris returns from an ACL tear, and is looking to be back by the start of the season. Webster has looked good as well, improvement from his rookie season. To be quite honest Roby has been beat and often this TC. He’s a rookie going up against Manning, so it’s not hard to see this happening. Hopefully he gets up to speed in the case someone goes down.

Safeties: TJ Ward, Raheem Moore/Quinton Carter
TJ Ward was added from the Browns. He makes me nostalgic for John Lynch. He’s like a guided missile at times, and will put a lick on guys. Good in coverage, good against the run, and will be used as an MLB type role in certain situations. Glad to have him, makes the secondary that much better. Moore returns from his compartment syndrome surgery, looks good so far, but is being tested by Q once again (Carter beat him out before). Carter is also returning from two knee surgeries. Moore will likely be the starter, but Carter will get playing time.

Punter: Britton Colquitt
Kicker: Matt Prater

Notes: Offense looks to be more balanced and focused on the run. It would be great to have that option this year as it wasn’t a reliable option last year. Take a bit of the load off of Peyton, for when he has a rough day or to help finish games and protect leads. I think Ball/Anderson will be the 1-2 punch needed to do it. On the same note the defense has to improve. The held on for as long as they could last year, but ultimately failed. They are going to have to uphold their end of the bargain this year.

So in the end, Elway’s work is nearly done. He rebuilt the team in the image of his Championship teams. He gave them all the talent, and upgrades they needed. He breathed life back into the defense. The one thing he cannot give this team is something that they will have to look inside of themselves to earn, and that is the heart of a champion. Will Peyton and these Broncos mount up and ride again into the heart of darkness to restore light to this land? Only time will tell...
Excellent post, my friend! I enjoyed it. Broncos are so loaded.

Vyroxis

Banned
I refuse to believe there are 32 backups better than Tim Tebow. Dude should be in the league

Sadly, I agree. The guy was no Brady or Favre, but he was good. With time, he would have been great.What killed him was the media circus, it's hard having a rookie or 2nd year QB concentrate with that much pressure. He could have handled it, but his coaches wouldn't have appreciated it. His unwanted hype killed his career.

ShaneB

Thanks. I enjoy that post every year.

Said many times these writeups are always well done. Good stuff Sir, again the Broncos are terrifying.

Watching the preseason and I'm again reminded how nervous I get any time a player is about to go down with a guy having his ankles wrapped up.

Godslay

Banned
Said many times these writeups are always well done. Good stuff Sir, again the Broncos are terrifying.

Watching the preseason and I'm again reminded how nervous I get any time a player is about to go down with a guy having his ankles wrapped up.

Yeah, everyone does a good job. We are stacked, but we've got a short window. Someone has to step up when Manning is done.

That wasn't a pick, and nice reaction by receiver to punch the ball out.

Narag

There'll be a thread about it soon but thought you guys should know since he was active in this community. Hito passed away August 1st

Top Bottom