• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Striker

I look forward to more of this to fill the Sanchise shaped void in our hearts:

bradyref.gif
Look at Tammy trying to use the ref as a shield. Fuck you, Tammy.

Go Giants!

squicken

Great OP chuck!

Watched Commitment and New World this weekend. America has fallen way behind Asia when it comes to action movies. New World in particular has a phenomenal action sequence

linkboy

Lamichael James has a dislocated elbow per Schefter. Could've been a lot worse, hope he's back by the 3rd preseason game (not sure if that's being realistic).

Honestly, week 1 would probably be a better spot. Not point in rushing him back for a meaningless game.

Dolphins' Ryan Tannehill is thinking big

DAVIE, Fla. -- The first week of training camp is a time of immense optimism in the NFL. Every team is undefeated and believes it is worthy of the playoffs. Teams highlight strengths, not weaknesses, until the games matter in the regular season.

The same goes for Miami Dolphins third-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who is thinking big this upcoming season. Tannehill has lofty goals for himself and the Dolphins in 2014.

"We want to play deep into January and February," Tannehill said. "And that’s our goal at this point, is to go out, win the division and then play the playoffs from there. There is a big season ahead of us and I think anything less than that is not up to our standards."

Tannehill must set the tone for Miami. The previously mild-mannered quarterback is starting to be more vocal and make his presence felt. Tannehill is showing more emotion. This summer he screamed at a pair of receivers for making mistakes in practice, which is something the Miami media hadn’t previously seen.

The Dolphins are learning a new offensive under first-year coordinator Bill Lazor. Tannehill has to be an extension of Lazor on the field.

“One thing he has been doing, I tell people all of the time that he’s been a lot more vocal, taking a lot more control over this offense and over the team in general,” Dolphins tight end Charles Clay said. “You can see it in times like that, but he’s maturing a lot.”

It’s also clear the Dolphins are 100 percent behind Tannehill. He is just 15-17 as a starter and Miami averaged just 19.8 points per game last season.

But Tannehill has received universal praise from his teammates, who believe Tannehill is due for a breakout season. The quickest way for Miami to improve is for Tannehill to take the next step. The Dolphins have talented pieces in other positions and consistent quarterback play would take the team to a new level.

“I definitely think he has it,” Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace said of Tannehill. “The thing I love about Ryan is his composure. I don’t think he ever gets rattled. I’ve never seen it, personally. He’s good at coming back like it [a mistake] never happened and that’s what we need from our quarterback.”
owens2x.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Lions coach Jim Caldwell doesn’t agree with the recent report that the Lions aren’t optimistic about a long-term contract with defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Asked if he thinks the Lions can keep Suh long term, Caldwell said he believes they can, noting that the team views Suh as a building block and saying that Suh showed up to training camp in phenomenal shape.

“Absolutely,” Caldwell said, via the Detroit News. “I’m always optimistic . . . and I think without question [Lions management and Suh’s agent] are working at it. And I think something will be done at the appropriate time.”

Suh’s enormous cap number of $22.4 million this year — and the fact that franchising him next year would cost a whopping $26.9 million — makes it easy to see why the Lions would love to work out a long-term deal that provides them with some immediate cap relief. But it also makes it easy to see why Suh is tempted to simply play out his deal. The Lions probably wouldn’t franchise him because they wouldn’t want to eat that cap hit, which means Suh would hit the open market after this season.

Caldwell may have reasons to be optimistic about getting a deal done with Suh, but Suh has even more reasons to be optimistic that he’s going to get paid a fortune over the coming years, from the Lions or some other team.

-PFT

Retain the NdamaKANG 2014.

Do whatever it takes to resign Suh and keep him a lifelong Lion, Mayhew.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kas returned his Xbone?

Fuckin poor, quit popping pills and maybe you can play Destiny with us.

We can always play the PS3 version. Plus I'm busy having a great time with games I missed out on like South Park, Metal Gear Rising, Ni No Kuni etc.

MRSA

Banned
God fuckin damnit Coldplay you degenerate fuck. I hope you get hit by a bus full of Pats fan on your way out.

eznark

Banned
If this Micah Hyde report turns out to be true holy fucking shit that would be monstrous! Get Hyde and Dix in there (assuming Dix is serviceable) on deep responsibility with Burnett on the field as a rover/spy!? My God no more MLB's tripping over their dicks trying to be backfield responsible. Some speed on the defensive side of the ball?! Some people who can keep the lid on the deep side?!!?

BONER ENGAGE

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If this Micah Hyde report turns out to be true holy fucking shit that would be monstrous! Get Hyde and Dix in there (assuming Dix is serviceable) on deep responsibility with Burnett on the field as a rover/spy!? My God no more MLB's tripping over their dicks trying to be backfield responsible. Some speed on the defensive side of the ball?! Some people who can keep the lid on the deep side?!!?

BONER ENGAGE
Hopefully you'll have it all figured out two weeks into the season!

Greg

BONER ENGAGE
RrEfbMl.jpg

Rando sent his write-up to me awhile ago. Here it is if you want to link to it, Chuck:

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

The 2013 Seattle Seahawks had a phenomenal season, as Russell Wilson led his team to a 13-3 record and the first Super Bowl in Seattle's history. While Seattle has lost a handful of players, there is not too much concern as the Seahawks had one of the deepest teams of 2013, and have large expectations of "the next man up". They have also had some key signings and extensions in their attempt to keep the core of the team intact.

STRENGTHS: Secondary, running game
WEAKNESSES: Offensive line

KEY LOSSES: OL Breno Giacomini, OL Paul McQuistan, FB Michael Robinson, DL Chris Clemons, DL Red Bryant, DL Clinton McDonald, WR Golden Tate, DB Walter Thurmond, DB Brandon Browner

KEY FA SIGNINGS: DL Kevin Williams, WR Sidney Rice

KEY EXTENSIONS/RE-SIGNING: DB Richard Sherman, S Earl Thomas, WR Doug Baldwin, TE Zach Miller, DL Tony McDaniel, DL Michael Bennett, LB OBrien Schofield, QB Tarvaris Jackson

Offense:

Seattle has been and will continue to be a run-first offense, led by Marshawn Lynch. Lynch has established himself as one of the best backs in the league, and has the most carries of any RB in the past few years. His age (28) and power running style has some concerned about the longevity of his career and how much longer he can continue to run at a high level. There has been talk about decreasing Lynch's carries this year and giving more carries to 2013 2nd round pick Christine Michael, who is believed to be Seattle RB of the future. Lynch, Michael, and Robert Turbin should present a high quality backfield, and Seattle should continue to have success running the ball.

Russell Wilson will be entering his 3rd season, and there is hopes that he will continue to improve. He had a very respectable season last year, posting a 101.2 passer rating, despite a very poor offensive line and a season-long injury to WR Percy Harvin. Fortunately Harvin has been able to get healthy this offseason and is looking good so far. While Seattle will miss WR Golden Tate (who left for the Lions), if Harvin and Sidney Rice can remain healthy the WR core might be one of the more underrated group of receivers in the league. Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse performed well as WR2 and WR3 respectably. Rookies Kevin Norwood and Paul Richardson will also be in the WR battle in training camp, and may be able to secure spots on the roster. Seattle's tight ends Zach Miller and Luke Willson will both return, and injured Anthony McCoy is finally healthy and hopes to return for 2014.

Seattle's largest weakness is its offensive line. In 2013 it was arguably one of the worst lines in the league, in part due to poor players and also due to injuries to Pro Bowlers Russell Okung and Max Unger. Wilson was sacked 44 times and he was forced to scramble very frequently. Though Giacomini and McQuistan left Seattle, they were not especially good linemen and as such should be replaceable without much detriment. There are questions about OL James Carpenter, whose fifth year option was not exercised by Seattle, and is now in a "prove it" year. However he has lost weight and came to mini camp in great shape, so there are high hopes for him. There are also hopes for rookie tackle Justin Britt and 2nd year Michael Bowie.

Defense:

Seattle had perhaps the best defense in the NFL in 2013, in large part due to its excellent secondary starring Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Byron Maxwell. Though Seattle lost DB's Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond, Maxwell and Jeremy Lane have stepped up and proven to be very adequate replacements. Barring injury, Seattle should again have the best secondary in the league in 2014.

Seattle also has a high quality defensive line and linebacker core in its 4-3 defensive scheme. They signed free agent DT Kevin Williams from Minnesota to help replace Red Bryant, who left for the Jaguars. There are also high expectations for Jesse Williams, Jordan Hill, and Greg Scruggs, who all missed 2013 with injuries, to step up and perform. The linebackers have remained virtually the same, led by KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner, two of the better LB's in the league. 4th round rookie LB Kevin Pierre-Louis is not expected to play much on defense this year due to the LB depth, however he is believed to be the linebacker of the future, having been compared by scouts to San Francisco LB Navorro Bowman.

Special Teams:

Last year Seattle's special teams was one of the best in the NFL, giving up an astoundingly low number of yards on punt and kick returns. Seattle should again have a high quality ST this year, though it could be argued it may not be as good due to the loss of some of its depth.

Overall, there are high expectations of the Seahawks this year, as most of its best players remain on the roster, and the front office/coaching staff remains intact. The largest threat remains division rival San Francisco, who also boast a high quality defense, and just narrowly missed defeating Seattle last year in the NFCCG. Arizona is also a threat, as they were the only team last year to defeat Seattle at home. The Rams have also improved their defense and may be in the playoff mix as well.

MechDX

No live Tweeting allowed from practice today but this was stated on Texans Radio just a bit ago:

"We almost had another Michigan Outback Bowl moment out here in 9 on 7 drills as Clowney... his first step is something special... JD got into the backfield in a blink but was able to pull up before really laying the wood. Wow. Wow." -- John Harris

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Shocking news.

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 58m

The Colts waived RB Chris Rainey this morning for violating team rules, according to @AdamSchefter.

MechDX

http://majornelson.com/

For the month of August, Xbox Live Gold members can look forward to two new free games on both Xbox One and Xbox 360. Crimson Dragon and Strike Suit Zero will become free downloads on August 1st,

On Xbox 360, starting Friday, August 1st, Motocross Madness (normally US $9.99) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through August 15th.
Then on August 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Dishonored (normally US $19.99) for free through August 31st.

Two games I was interested in for free! Probably grab Motocross Madness on 360 as well

Drakeon

Honestly, week 1 would probably be a better spot. Not point in rushing him back for a meaningless game.

Good point, my only thought was he'd be rusty. But better to be rusty than to re-injure himself or make it worse by putting him out there too early.

Top Bottom